Australian Stadiums Discussion (Excluding Parramatta)

7 hours ago, btron3000 said:

No it’s not. None of the local competitions can fill ANZ. They can play games at our new ground, Allianz and other suburban grounds.

Internationals can be played at Allianz, Suncorp or Melbourne.

Freeze em out. Football and NRL have the power in this state, it’s about time they remembered it. AFL have been playing the “attack is the best form of defence” for ages, probably wary that if FFA and NRL got their act together, NSW and QLD were lost.

The fact that this made it to the papers shows you someone is looking out for the rectangular codes. If they weren’t, this would have slipped quietly through.

I mean for like the really big games, the cash cows like Origin or a WCQ

Also, where’s the big headline “FFA and NRL supremos call out AFL”?

Nowhere, because aaaaaaahhhh they’re **** ah.

It’s clearly a case of the AFL attempting to keep rectangular sports down more than any need for them to have an oval that size. The FFA and NRL should be pointing out their behaviour in no uncertain terms. Attack them FFS.

• 2 weeks later...

Both ANZ & Sydney Football Stadium to be demolished.

SFS demolished next year & rebuilt by 2019.

ANZ knocked down once SFS is rebuilt, planned to be built by 2021.

Sydney’s two biggest sporting stadiums will be knocked down and rebuilt within the next four years as part of Premier Gladys Berejiklian’s $1.8 billion plan to transform the city’s sporting land­scape and end the two-year-long stadium wars.

Sydney’s Allianz Stadium will be demolished next year and ­rebuilt by 2019 and ANZ Stadium knocked down in 2019 and reconfigured by 2021, under an ambitious timeline being pushed by Sports Minister Stuart Ayres that is said to have the backing of Ms Berejiklian.

Under the plan, Allianz, at inner-city Moore Park, would have a capacity of 45,000, and ANZ, at Olympic Park, a capacity of 75,000 — down from 85,000 — but it would be redesigned as a rectangular stadium.

The plan is aimed at raising Sydney’s stadiums to the quality of those recently built in Adelaide and Perth, and the facilities at the Melbourne Cricket Ground and the city’s Docklands.

But the plan, which could be put to cabinet as early as this week, has caused inter­nal consternation, with Treasurer ­Dom­inic Perrottet and Deputy Prem­ier John Barilaro arguing as to why the government should be spending more than $2bn on stadiums when it, like other governments, is under pressure to act on the cost of living.

The government has already spent $300 million building a new Parramatta Stadium in the city’s west.

Infrastructure Minister Andrew Constance is also said to favour rebuilding ANZ only.

The plan is understood to ­involve some State of Origin matches heading interstate while construction takes place. But Sydney would retain hosting rights for the NRL grand final, with Allianz to fill the gap while ANZ is being rebuilt.

The stadiums war has split the football codes with clubs using Allianz, including the popular Sydney FC, and the Australian Rugby Union, pushing hard for an Allianz rebuild and the NRL pushing for ANZ to be built first.

The NRL has set up meetings with ministers in a frantic last-minute bid to get the ANZ proposal up first.

Such has been the force of the NRL campaign that the code’s chief executive, Todd Greenberg, has met ministers not involved in the proposals to urge them to push in cabinet for an ANZ rebuild first.

“I am writing in relation to the NSW Government’s commitment to upgrade Sydney’s stadiums network,” Mr Greenberg has written to ministers.

“Whilst I know this issue does not fall within your portfolio ­responsibilities, I understand the important matter will be discussed in the coming month at ­cabinet.”

The letter points out the ­announcement in April last year by former premier Mike Baird that was “publicly supported by the NRL” involved a permanent rectangular configuration of ANZ at more than 70,000 seats with construction to start before March 2019 and “the refurbishment of the existing Allianz Stadium — with works to commence after the redevelopment of ANZ Stadium is completed, and in any event not before March 2019”.

But Mr Ayres, who is close to several ­people on the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust that runs Allianz Stadium, is understood to have won the Premier’s support on the need to get moving on ­Allianz.

Mr Ayres had always favoured an Allianz rebuild first but was slammed last year after he tried to slide past Mr Baird a plan not to build on the Allianz site, but on a nearby site at Moore Park, a move that would have been controversial, particularly in light of flak the Baird government received for ripping out century-old trees for its CBD light rail project.

8 minutes ago, mack said:

Both ANZ & Sydney Football Stadium to be demolished.

SFS demolished next year & rebuilt by 2019.

ANZ knocked down once SFS is rebuilt, planned to be built by 2021.

That article is a piece of ****.

There is absolutely no way they could knock down and rebuild Allianz in that time frame, when a smaller and cheaper built stadium like Parramatta will take over 2 years.

What a dumb piece of journalism.

'including the popular Sydney FC'........

I wonder what gauge they use to measure popularity....

Also Allianz knocked down in 2018 and rebuilt and ready by 2019.....yeah righto.....so Parra Stadium was closed down 2016 and knocked down early 2017 with a final opening date of March 2019 I think it is? And yet it looks like Allianz will get done in a year or less...., well I only hope they rush it and knock the ****er down with Arnie and co still in it.

“But Mr Ayres, who is close to several ­people on the Sydney Cricket Ground Trust”

Contender for journalistic understatement of the year right here.

What’s the bet that Allianz gets the upgrade then ANZ gets shafted.

What a joke. You’ve got a dodgy **** in league with the SCG trust advising a woman who clearly knows nothing about the Sydney sporting scene. Laughable.

4 hours ago, btron3000 said:

What’s the bet that Allianz gets the upgrade then ANZ gets shafted.

That's my thinking. Get SFC knocked down & rebuilt, next election is 2019, just say ANZ is up next then once you win the election call off the ANZ rebuild as "too expensive" and plow money into the SCG & the Moore Park commercial district.

2 hours ago, Davo said:

What are the odds he'll retire from politics and end up a board member of the trust?

Nah, he'll be looking at a job with WestConnex alongside Tony Shepard. More money there. Also I don't think he's "famous" enough to get onto the Trust. That is seriously high level sports/politics.

The real long con would be ousting Gladys ("retiring" her) and becoming Premier using his trust connections like Alan Jones to push him as the "right man for the job".

Do you notice how they are trying to rush it in so it starts in 2018? Next election is in March 2019. Good chance Liberals will be voted out by then.

So if it starts in 2018, then even if Labour get voted in at the 2019 election they will have to finish what the Libs started. Then costs will blow out on the Allianz project. There will be talk about delaying or re-thinking ANZ. Then it will be forgotten or canned.

Stuey boy will have done a big favour for his corrupt mates at the AFL and SCGT. He will no doubt get rewarded for this somehow later on. It makes me sick in the stomach.

25 minutes ago, WestSyd said:

Do you notice how they are trying to rush it in so it starts in 2018? Next election is in March 2019. Good chance Liberals will be voted out by then.

So if it starts in 2018, then even if Labour get voted in at the 2019 election they will have to finish what the Libs started. Then costs will blow out on the Allianz project. There will be talk about delaying or re-thinking ANZ. Then it will be forgotten or canned.

Stuey boy will have done a big favour for his corrupt mates at the AFL and SCGT. He will no doubt get rewarded for this somehow later on. It makes me sick in the stomach.

If only the people in Penrith will vote him out at the next election 

8 hours ago, marron said:

Don't forget Shepard's AFL links. A delay to ANZ is a win for all his masters.

I just looked this guy up. What a crook he is. Was responsible for the abomination that is the Lane Cove Tunnel, where they intentionally turned Epping Road from 3 lanes into 1 so you had to use the tunnel, and made it difficult to get onto the M2 if you skipped the tunnel. Absolute joke designed only to put money in the pockets of the company that owns the tunnel.

How is one dude allowed to be the Chairman of GWS, the SGT Trust, and also Westconnex at the same time? Perhaps - perhaps - Westconnex has no conflict of interest, but surely the other two do.

Nothing annoys me more than ****s like this guy that don't give a **** about anything except their own cash and slimying up to their other bigwig mates. 

F#@* this makes my blood boil! Bunch of incompetent geese or corrupt crooks the lot of them - take your pick. Why is it that we seem to have such an issue with this bulls$#t in Sydney?!?! Someone's palm always seems to need to be greased! For goodness' sake, how about governing for the betterment of the people for a change! I'm Parramatta born and bred and still love Western Sydney but sheeez you can see why people move interstate or to the regions. There is that much money sloshing about in greater Sydney and yet we so rarely see it being used for the improvement of the city and state. Private splendour and public squalor is the result and it is so frustrating. At times you really do feel like the only thing Sydney people care about is the value of their bloody houses - there's more to life people!!!!

Rant over........

Sydney siders don’t attend sport regularly anymore and no one in power wants to acknowledge this. 90% of games across all codes are flat out achieving anything north of 15k anymore and you could count on one hand the frequency at which Allianz and ANZ sell out each calendar year. 

Why the tenants of Allianz are lobbying for a new stadium of 45k capacity makes no sense to me. Decrease the capacity and in turn, the supply; then perhaps the demand may return.

Based on attendance patterns this would be an ideal setup:

Parra - 30k

Allianz - 35k (+5k corporate/members?)

ANZ - 70-75k

41 minutes ago, hughsey said:

Sydney siders don’t attend sport regularly anymore and no one in power wants to acknowledge this. 90% of games across all codes are flat out achieving anything north of 15k anymore and you could count on one hand the frequency at which Allianz and ANZ sell out each calendar year. 

Why the tenants of Allianz are lobbying for a new stadium of 45k capacity makes no sense to me. Decrease the capacity and in turn, the supply; then perhaps the demand may return.

Based on attendance patterns this would be an ideal setup:

Parra - 30k

Allianz - 35k (+5k corporate/members?)

ANZ - 70-75k

I think most people know that is the most sensible solution. Two smallish modern stadiums of 30k to the east and west of the city. Then a large events stadium in a precinct that can handle the traffic. All rectangular as these are the sports which draw smallish crowds for club games, however are capable of hosting large events which hold 50k+. Two oval stadium also to be based to the east and west.

The thing is that this is what the NSW government are saying they want, however you get the feeling the AFL and SCGT will try to sabotage those plans somehow. It is like the way the AFL carried on with the World Cup bid. Baird was the only one who stood up to the bullies with the whole stadium issue, and look what happened to him. Will be interesting to see how this develops.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic