The Matilda's, Australian Woman's national football team

Young Matilda's lost 2-3 overnight to Thailand (again). They were 1-0 up at half time.

Leah Blayney chose not to start Rachel Lowe who appeared to shine in the semifinal against Vietnam. However, Rachel and Susan P were both substituted on in the second half so all 4 Wanderers women im the squad were on the pitch at full time.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, TehSmileyBandit said:

Finished 3-0 >> Butt and Kerr got the last two, brilliant through-ball for Sam's goal, I think it was Butt who gave it.

Finished 3-1 pretty sure the ref gave our women 3 yellows.

why is it that they can beat Brazil in front of a crowd but can’t beat Thailand or Japan in the desert in desert in front of a few hundred?

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

Finished 3-1 pretty sure the ref gave our women 3 yellows.

why is it that they can beat Brazil in front of a crowd but can’t beat Thailand or Japan in the desert in desert in front of a few hundred?

The recent games against Asian opposition was with the kids, this team is full strength.

Unlucky against US. Equaliser in 90th minute came from a corner that should have been a goal kick.

Watching this game only confirmed one thing - Americans should not be allowed to commentate on football. Amongst others, this guy:

• Called fullbacks “outside backs”
  • Called our first goal “the go-ahead goal”
  • When one of their players turned ONE of our players and took a shot, said “she nearly made the entire team look stupid with that move”

Matildas need to get a better result against Japan than the USA do against Brazil, and that could be as little as one goal better.

Won 2-0 against Japan.

USA are playing Brazil now and need to win by 2 or more goals otherwise the Matildas win the tournament. Brazil are currently 1-0 after an own goal.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn’t really know where to put this, here is as good as any as it’s about how good our girls will need to be in the future.

Watched about 30 min of Spain v USA u20 Women’s World Cup tonight. The Spanish team are just like the men’s national team. Passing it around, playing keep ball. Their ability to find their teammates in space puts to shame many male teams who practice every day. I’d say this style works even better in the female game as they aren’t as fast or athletic so technical and tactical ability is even more important.

The female game is just getting stronger, there’s going to be quite a few really competitive national teams in years to come.

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Davo said:

Seems weird to organise one of the four friendlies to be played in western Sydney, and have it clash with a Western Sydney Wanderers game.

We're away in Mudgee. The Smurfs are away in Newcastle the next day.

The FFA are hoping to cash in again with no games that weekend 

Edited by Paul01
Added info
  • 2 weeks later...

Mini-Matilda's (u16s) playing Palestine  u16 AFC womens Tournament this afternoon (5.00pm) followed by Indonesia, Chinese Taipei and the Kyrgz Republic. I think the tournament is for eventual progression to the U16 Women's World Cup.

• 3 weeks later...
25 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

Bit of a reality check after the France and England games

True, although a lot of big names not playing (Kerr, Van Egmond etc). Almost felt sorry for England - we certainly got all of the close calls. I believe the referree was French.......:cheeky:

Edited by Potkorok
spelling
  • mack locked this topic