AFL/NRL/Union/Cricket Bashing Thread 3

mack

1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

Incredible the contempt they have for football, first we have the Spotless debacle and now this?

They’ve only got themselves to blame. They could have signed an agreement when they were the only tenants and held all the power. They could have stipulated they wanted the pitch unused for 3 days before every game. Even more - could have said you need to get our approval for any other event.

Now they’ve got a competitor because they did nothing to stop the competitors coming in, so they’ve lost their power in a negotiation. Look at their comments - they’ve already resorting to whinging about it.

We’re ******* amateurs and the AFL are smashing us. We’re lucky the NRL is a basket case.

Adelaide United have no leverage to force any demands. They've been crying about stadium costs since at least 2012.

Adelaide Oval is too big and would cost the club too much to hire for basic matches.

Adelaide United's owners are too cheap to build their own stadium, all they can do is whine to Government and talk about how he "believes" the Government should build a stadium that would be roughly equivalent to our new stadium. At which point the Government turn around and say "nah, we spent $610 million on upgrading Adelaide Oval for the AFL, so go play there if you have a big match" knowing that Adelaide won't make enough money in all likely hood for any regularly sized game.

Every other reasonably sized stadium in the city is an SA AFL club oval. All the NPL stadiums are tiny and owned by NPL clubs obviously.

While the Adelaide United ownership are unwilling or unable to even attempt to get their own stadium, they have no leverage and are simply at the mercy of the now privatised "Managers" of the stadium, who bought the rights for Hindmarsh and the nearby Entertainment Centre from the SA Government.

2 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

All sports in the same boat, so much to do but not enough money.

That’s because they’re all trying to compete with one another for airtime and tv money.

The A-league has the biggest advantage of the lot - juniors - and fails to use it. They need to totally change the model to a community one. I think the Yoshi etc campaigns are trying that, but marketing is not enough, you’ve got to change your business model. 

Apparently Tonga v England RLWC semi final is a sell out in Auckland, how the **** did that happen?

That just proves that Kiwis are dumber than I thought.

So, is this how they get such incredible ratings? (my bolded sections).

"Fri TV Seven's release #RLWC2017RugbyLeagueWC_2017_emoji_v2.png #AUSvFIJ Australia v Fiji semi-final reached 2.4m viewers nationally (1.6m metro), over 600,000 live streaming minutes and 216,000 video views on Facebook. Ranked #1 across key demographics. Match averaged 1.1m combined viewers, peaked at 1.4m." 

https://twitter.com/MediaweekAUS/status/934554958841593856/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23934554958841593856

48 minutes ago, Wanderboy said:

So, is this how they get such incredible ratings? (my bolded sections).

"Fri TV Seven's release #RLWC2017RugbyLeagueWC_2017_emoji_v2.png #AUSvFIJ Australia v Fiji semi-final reached 2.4m viewers nationally (1.6m metro), over 600,000 live streaming minutes and 216,000 video views on Facebook. Ranked #1 across key demographics. Match averaged 1.1m combined viewers, peaked at 1.4m." 

https://twitter.com/MediaweekAUS/status/934554958841593856/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc^tfw&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2Ftwitter.min.html%23934554958841593856

I thought this thing was already over! :lol: 

5 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:
f

Offsiders, if you’re giving insights like this why bother? Stick to 60 minutes of AFL

Yep. I heard that pathetic comment from her.

That is a typical AFL comment because that is exactly what they do to all other sports and think other sports are doing the same to them.

In fact, the other sports don't give a **** about them.

Roy Masters actually stuck it up them a bit this morning. Quite a few sly comments, including something involving Sam Kerr's grub of a brother. 

Edited by Wanderboy

I just posted the following post in the Matilda's thread, but thought it should be re-posted here for the lols.........

I've just finished reading an article about Sam Kerr in yesterdays "Good Weekend" magazine from the Sydney Morning Herald. Obviously penned by a Victorian or AFL follower. Well worth the read if anyone can access it.

The last paragraph in the article asks.........."Now there's an AFL Woman's league, could she be tempted away from soccer back to her first love?"

Her answer........"Not a chance". ******* lol.

Why would she leave a career that has made her world famous, earning decent coin, playing internationally and travelling the world, to play in some 6 week competition in a sport no one cares about in some backwater states of a small country? Was that a serious question?

The delusion amongst the AFL about how "great" their sport is continues.

1 hour ago, Wanderboy said:

I just posted the following post in the Matilda's thread, but thought it should be re-posted here for the lols.........

I've just finished reading an article about Sam Kerr in yesterdays "Good Weekend" magazine from the Sydney Morning Herald. Obviously penned by a Victorian or AFL follower. Well worth the read if anyone can access it.

The last paragraph in the article asks.........."Now there's an AFL Woman's league, could she be tempted away from soccer back to her first love?"

Her answer........"Not a chance". ******* lol.

Why would she leave a career that has made her world famous, earning decent coin, playing internationally and travelling the world, to play in some 6 week competition in a sport no one cares about in some backwater states of a small country? Was that a serious question?

The delusion amongst the AFL about how "great" their sport is continues.

Simon Hill Nailed it on this the other week

"After her exploits at the Tournament of Nations, Kerr (and her Matilda’s teammates) became the hot ticket item for a period of time – yet the conversation soon reverted to type. She was continuously referenced as the “sister of Daniel Kerr”, and more than one reporter suggested her next logical move was into the AFLW.

Er, no. It isn’t actually. Why on earth would Kerr give up shots at the Asian Cup, the Women’s World Cup, and the Olympics (all in the space of the next three years), to take part in a six-week hit and giggle-fest on the suburban fields of Melbourne? Or the international acclaim and money she earns playing professionally in the USA?

International football is not, and should never be, a stepping stone to the AFLW."

https://www.foxsports.com.au/football/socceroos/simon-hill-cultural-misunderstanding-in-australia-about-how-big-the-wc-playoffs-really-are/news-story/bc06cb3c07b230e00831432928a4ac60

As for the Matildas moving in on the AFLW territory. 

I think given the Matildas play in the olympics, a world cup, an asian cup and have players that play in US and Europe, I think we can probably afford to let Collingwood go. Besides which AFLW territory its only had one season.

As much as the other sports media pisses me off, I'm happy for them to stick to there little insular sport. I'm happy for football in Australia to stay on the frindge. I don't need KFC bucket hats ..

That said on the other hand it frustrates me Football's inability to promote itself

Edited by StringerBellend

I thought both of those articles were very good, particularly the Simon Hill article. Regarding that article that @Wanderboy is referring to, I particularly like this part of the article and the second paragraph where she nails it:

"The Kerrs were an AFL family in an AFL town: it made sense that Samantha, like her dad and big brother, would also play football. But when it became apparent that she had talent, a code that allowed advancement for girls had to be found. "We knew she had something at a very young age," says Roger. "Her hand-eye co-ordination was excellent with any kind of ball, even just playing cricket in the house. And she was ambidextrous."

"One hundred per cent I would have stayed with football if I could," says Kerr. "I was all AFL. I didn't really like soccer that much. It's actually a completely different skill. I think anyone can pick up an AFL ball and have a go: you throw the ball down and kick it. A soccer ball, though, it takes a lot more skill. Think about how hard it is to use your left hand when you're right-handed; it's so much harder to use your left foot."

Here's a link to the article, http://www.smh.com.au/good-weekend/matildas-star-samantha-kerrs-advice-to-young-girls-playing-soccer-20171113-gzknrq.html

2 hours ago, hawks2767 said:

Me because I'm living in WA til March.

Everytime they mentioned her it was always 'the sister of Daniel Kerr'.

Instead of just sitting back though, I'd love to see football fans go on the offensive and start asking the question 'which AFLW players should we target to switch codes'.

Unless they can already play they wouldn't be good enough 

3 hours ago, hawks2767 said:

Me because I'm living in WA til March.

Everytime they mentioned her it was always 'the sister of Daniel Kerr'.

Instead of just sitting back though, I'd love to see football fans go on the offensive and start asking the question 'which AFLW players should we target to switch codes'.

Why would we do that?

None of them would be good enough anyway, and neither would the males.

Our sport does not need to lower itself to such levels of insecurity.

• mack locked and unlocked this topic