What Really Grinds My Gears 5

27 minutes ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

Learning is fun, yes? :yahoo:

Although I love it, Technology isn't for everyone. If you want the self serve experience to be easier, take a kid with you. Yours, someone else's, it doesn't really matter. They will understand the process instantly (even if they haven't done it before), and both of you will enjoy the purchasing experience. :)

Technology and I don't see eye to eye for a number of reasons :lol:...one of which is referred to above.:angry::angry:

And I do take your point re kids/young people being 100% comfortable with it, and others like me, not so.

In my classroom, I just ask a kid to "fix it" if something goes wrong with anything computerish/technological...like the projectors we use to watch clips from the computer on the big white board, (altho unfortunately for me, the international students I currently teach are often as clueless as me about the latter)

But really, auto checkouts work for a number of small items that fit into a bag in the bloody "bagging areas" <shudder>- and do NOT work for bulky items...like my mountain of virtually weightless pillows last time.

<Shudder>

And a machine publicly and repeatedly droning instructions at you while a queue of people form behind you  .....well....I can feel the anxiety rising as I think about it!

Altho I can laugh about it ...sort of. :lol:

PS Yeah...it's "THE VOICE" that gets to me.

Anyway...enough from me.....until the inevitable next time, at least.

48 minutes ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

Learning is fun, yes? :yahoo:

Although I love it, Technology isn't for everyone. If you want the self serve experience to be easier, take a kid with you. Yours, someone else's, it doesn't really matter. They will understand the process instantly (even if they haven't done it before), and both of you will enjoy the purchasing experience. :)

Yep, my 10 year old son just rolls his eyes, taps a few things on the screen or does something with the bag and all is right.

Edin has isses getting his shillings and farthings through the machines probably.

Edited by WSWBoro

I like them personally. 

If I have less than a dozen things, then usually I can be in and out quicker than if I'd lined up. Once you get the hang of the machines, it is a lot easier. 

I will admit when I first started using them, I did get frustrated as well, but when you figure out the lights and the bagging area technique, it's pretty quick and simple. 

There are exceptions I've learnt. As Wendy said, big bulky items are a no no. I also hate with a passion people who go through them with a trolley load of food at the supermarket. They take forever and often their trolley blocks another machine. 

I find the supermarket ones are better and less temperamental than the Big W and Kmart ones. The Big W ones are probably the worst ones I've used. 

I do think they should always have at least one register with a staff member open. If you did have bulky or multiple items, you could make the choice to line up if you wish. 

46 minutes ago, CaptainJess said:

I like them personally. 

You're a youngster! That makes sense!  :xnod:

If I have less than a dozen things, then usually I can be in and out quicker than if I'd lined up. Once you get the hang of the machines, it is a lot easier. 

Yep.

They ARE manageable at a supermarket, or when you have a few items that fit into a bag easily.

I will admit when I first started using them, I did get frustrated as well, but when you figure out the lights and the bagging area technique, it's pretty quick and simple. 

Yep - BUT HOW DO WE GET TO KNOW ABOUT THE LIGHTS????? :angry::angry:

That was part of what I was irritated about last night....they should make that plain, and they don't as far as I could see.

PS  Not yelling at you there Jess! :)

There are exceptions I've learnt. As Wendy said, big bulky items are a no no. I also hate with a passion people who go through them with a trolley load of food at the supermarket. They take forever and often their trolley blocks another machine. 

I find the supermarket ones are better and less temperamental than the Big W and Kmart ones. The Big W ones are probably the worst ones I've used. 

I do think they should always have at least one register with a staff member open. If you did have bulky or multiple items, you could make the choice to line up if you wish. 

That makes me feel better, Jess....and the bemused smile on the young assistants' face as I grumbled at "THE VOICE" , but assured her that I was irritated with the process, and not her, made me feel that what I experience happens all the time.

Actually, the fact that the assistant  is moving from machine to machine constantly reassured me that, both times, I wasn't the only technological simpleton on deck.

And YES to the last point above there!! :xnod:

That's definitely part of what irritated me last night after she told me to watch for the green lights..

:):)

Checkouts are a confusing beast. You go to Coles/Woolworths and you have to weigh up the self-serve against the manned registers. Then you got to Aldi and you have to be the Flash putting items back in the trolley (and don't forget your bags). Then at Costco you're on one side and the trolley is on the other side.

4 hours ago, Legionista said:

Except they are not called Christmas trees. 

I haven't seen anything of this....mind you, I do avoid shopping leading up to Christmas as much as possible.

And, as Mack pointed out, the lead up to Christmas has already started, now that September has hit.   :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Are you being sarcastic?

6 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

I did notice in Bunnings this morning , out of say 12 items relating to Xmas, only 2 were labeled "Christmas".....

let's not even mention Big W.......

....or their bodgy self serve checkouts....

:P 

So....what are they labelled as?

5 hours ago, WSWBoro said:

Yep, my 10 year old son just rolls his eyes, taps a few things on the screen or does something with the bag and all is right.

Edin has isses getting his shillings and farthings through the machines probably.

I delegate - no one's getting my shillings and farthings!

21 hours ago, Valter43 said:

While on the topic of (superior) slav food, I wandered over to the fridge and pulled these babies out:

W6XpWdf.jpg

From left to right: Pea stew with breaded beef/pork patty, liver pate, pork stew and mystery meat slices.

People don’t know what food is here in Australia. 

So jealous. 

WRGMG

*sigh*  I said this a year or two back, but nothing's changed....LADIES! If you're married WEAR A WEDDING RING!!!!! :xmad:

im sick of wasting my time talking to you then you casually drop the H bomb!   I could just say "Hi I'm J Jnrs dad"  , end of  convo !!!  :meep:

anywho, on to more important matters....

WRGMG

waiting for my beer to chill in the freezer cos shitty Aldi hardly keeps the beer cool!!!    :xmad:   FFS!!!!!

15 mins to go.....

WGMG, on supermarkets, my wife....at the supermarket this morning....

Stood looking at the meat in the supermarket this morning, the wife stood behind me with the trolley...me thinking she is still there when in fact she had moves further down and another women must have parked up in the same place. So here I am talking to myself, grab something and without looking put it straight in the strangers trolley lol Women looks at me like I am more than a little unstable. Grab item back out of her trolley, walk down to the now laughing wife.........

Edited by WSWBoro
8 hours ago, WSWBoro said:

WGMG, on supermarkets, my wife....at the supermarket this morning....

Stood looking at the meat in the supermarket this morning, the wife stood behind me with the trolley...me thinking she is still there when in fact she had moves further down and another women must have parked up in the same place. So here I am talking to myself, grab something and without looking put it straight in the strangers trolley lol Women looks at me like I am more than a little unstable. Grab item back out of her trolley, walk down to the now laughing wife.........

They don't like it when you stick your meat in their trolleys......

...but what would've happened if you had been the one pushing the trolley?  Would you have copped a mouthfull for moving? :lol:     I know I would've, ALL.FUUCKING.DAY!!!!!!     

4 hours ago, JackDoff said:

They don't like it when you stick your meat in their trolleys......

...but what would've happened if you had been the one pushing the trolley?  Would you have copped a mouthfull for moving? :lol:     I know I would've, ALL.FUUCKING.DAY!!!!!!     

'you never listen', 'you live in a world of your own', blah blah blah.....'you never listen' is my wifes go to comment, which i always respond to with 'pardon'?

6 hours ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

Walking into the cubicle in the men's room at work to do a number 2 and finding by a mystery puddle in front of the bowel. Aiming is not ******* optional you filthy pigs. :nono:

Mate.....i once went in to a public bog in Izmir in Turkey when desperate for a turd and after that I will NEVER complain about the standard of other bogs again.....fook me! The only way i can assume it got in that state was by their arse exploding....

12 minutes ago, WSWBoro said:

Mate.....i once went in to a public bog in Izmir in Turkey when desperate for a turd and after that I will NEVER complain about the standard of other bogs again.....fook me! The only way i can assume it got in that state was by their arse exploding....

Public toilets, yeah ok. Gross, but ok and not entirely unexpected. I've seen some bad s**t in public toilets as well (perhaps not as bad as what you've seen). Working in an office building I kind of expect a bit more consideration for the people you work with. I haven't (as far as I know) pissed anyone off to make that ok.

And then, when you find a clean(ish) cubicle, sit yourself down and on the back of the door are the nuggets someone has dug out of the nose (at least that's where I hope they've come from). 

Ok, I'm done now

48 minutes ago, WSWBoro said:

I was on a train from Varanasi to Chennai years ago. There were "local" toilets and "foreign" toilets i.e. squat or bowl. Some genius decided to squat on the bowl and projectiled all over the ******* place. This was one of maybe two bowl toilets in the entire train, and only about 10 hours into a 40 hour trip. Needless to say, we used the squats from then on.