Off Topic Thread 4

mack

47 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Started watching some yacht race ...maybe Americas Cup?...after the football.

What the hell has happened to yachts since I last paid attention to a boat race??  :shok:

I saw that last night. They're literally not even on the ocean lol. A weird hydrofoil thing. Barely a "boat" imo.

#AgainstModernYachting

11 minutes ago, mack said:

I saw that last night. They're literally not even on the ocean lol. A weird hydrofoil thing. Barely a "boat" imo.

#AgainstModernYachting

Yes...exactly a hydrofoil.

And one can be mechanically lifted, so that the "boat" turns just on one fin type thing.

Very space age.

Wonder how long "boats" have been like this?

8 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

i just heard a high ranking religious leader talk about how the vaccine for covid will make you gay and is a tool of satan, not sure i want that anymore, dont want to get in league with satan, not again

8 hours ago, mack said:

What does it do if you're already gay and a tool of satan?

What does it do if you're just a total tool?

I guess we'll never know as he's not going to get vaccinated is he!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 15/02/2021 at 11:50 AM, Edinburgh said:

I haven't been there either but I've only ever heard good things about visiting there. 

The long drive is an issue but there are sure to be some interesting stops along the way* or on an alternate return route if you have time.

I expect you've already been to Dubbo Zoo. Even if you have it's worth another visit. 

* I remember I lived and worked in Boggabri for over a year then went back on a job a few years later and found out there was a National Park there with features worth seeing. I had no idea it existed when I lived there. I've travelled a fair bit through NSW doing the same work as I did on my return to Boggabri. There was nearly always something worth a visit when in a town for the weekend. So I reckon if you check out towns on the route you'll find something to do. 

If you are interested, you could drive back from Broken Hill, hang a left at Nyngan and make your way to Walgett (I lived and worked there too for over a year before Boggabri) and visit Lightening Ridge where there are a few things to see and do. But maybe that's a separate trip for another time.

Well, we just about have this sorted for late September / early October and think we have found enough time to go one way and back another, plus break the legs down in to around 4hrs 30mins a day. It will be hard going but really want to do it and see some of NSW...the plan is

Outbound

Sydney -> Cowra -> Hay -> Mildura -> Broken Hill

Homebound

Broken Hill -> Cobar -> Orange -> Sydney 

Will likely spend just a night in all places apart from Mildura and Broken Hill, perhaps a few nights Mildura and 4 nights Broken Hill.

******* long way, but yeah, needs to be done. If I am making a major mistake here please let me know now :D

Edited by Smoggy

This makes me think twice about Fiber optic cables:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/27/world/canada-beavers-internet-outage-trnd/index.html

Beavers chewed through a cable and knocked out internet service to hundreds in a Canadian town

210427154537-01-canada-beavers-internet-

A colony of beavers gnawed through a fiber optic cable near their dam over the weekend, disrupting internet service for hundreds of residents in Western Canada

Officials in the District of Tumbler Ridge said the area suffered "a sudden and unexpected" outage at about 4 a.m. on Saturday morning, according to a statement on the town's website.

Tumbler Ridge is a municipality of about 2,000 people that is close to 4-and-a-half hours northeast of Prince George, British Columbia, and is home to a UNESCO Global Geopark.

Workers with the Telus telecommunications company discovered a beaver dam near the buried cable that supplies the community, according to the statement.
"This was certainly a very rare and uniquely Canadian disruption," Telus spokeswoman Liz Sauvé said in an email to CNN.

The cable was buried about three feet underground and enclosed in a 4.5-inch thick conduit for protection, but that didn't stop the beavers, who chewed through the conduit and then the cable in several locations, according to a statement from Telus.

The beavers used some of the material they dug up -- including bright red fiber marking tape -- in the construction of their dam, the company said.

The breaks also knocked out TV service to about 60 customers and cellular phone coverage was also spotty in the area, Telus said.
It took about 36 hours to fix the problem and crews had to dig through partially frozen ground to reach the breaks, the company said. Service was restored on Sunday afternoon.

The outage was an inconvenience for residents, but town officials said emergency services, including police, fire, ambulance and emergency room services were all operational, the Tumbler Ridge statement said.
Edited by MathyouWSW
On 01/05/2021 at 12:21 AM, MathyouWSW said:

This makes me think twice about Fiber optic cables:

https://edition.cnn.com/2021/04/27/world/canada-beavers-internet-outage-trnd/index.html

Beavers chewed through a cable and knocked out internet service to hundreds in a Canadian town

210427154537-01-canada-beavers-internet-

A colony of beavers gnawed through a fiber optic cable near their dam over the weekend, disrupting internet service for hundreds of residents in Western Canada

Officials in the District of Tumbler Ridge said the area suffered "a sudden and unexpected" outage at about 4 a.m. on Saturday morning, according to a statement on the town's website.

Tumbler Ridge is a municipality of about 2,000 people that is close to 4-and-a-half hours northeast of Prince George, British Columbia, and is home to a UNESCO Global Geopark.

Workers with the Telus telecommunications company discovered a beaver dam near the buried cable that supplies the community, according to the statement.
"This was certainly a very rare and uniquely Canadian disruption," Telus spokeswoman Liz Sauvé said in an email to CNN.

The cable was buried about three feet underground and enclosed in a 4.5-inch thick conduit for protection, but that didn't stop the beavers, who chewed through the conduit and then the cable in several locations, according to a statement from Telus.

The beavers used some of the material they dug up -- including bright red fiber marking tape -- in the construction of their dam, the company said.

The breaks also knocked out TV service to about 60 customers and cellular phone coverage was also spotty in the area, Telus said.
It took about 36 hours to fix the problem and crews had to dig through partially frozen ground to reach the breaks, the company said. Service was restored on Sunday afternoon.

The outage was an inconvenience for residents, but town officials said emergency services, including police, fire, ambulance and emergency room services were all operational, the Tumbler Ridge statement said.

Headline

'Beavers interrupt Canadian town from looking at beavers on interweb'.

That would be my headline..

Edited by Smoggy

How much do you guys pay for a hair chop?

Going to bet that this is anywhere from - zero as do it myself from home,  to above $50.

I go just a few time a years to a place in the city for a proper wet shave and hair chop..it cost a bit but theu do an awesome job, especially for a hairy bastard such as myself. Blunt the razors and scissors with my stubble and hair.

Always on the look out for somewhere decent at a good price though.

Edited by Smoggy
4 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

How much do you guys pay for a hair chop?

$0.

:D

Either I do it my self or my younger sis does it for me.  No.1 cut on the clippers......helps when you're hair has basically done a runner though.

:D

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic