Squad Development 2017/18 Part 2

1 hour ago, sonar said:

Personally, I'm hoping they give Gumby a five year extension.

(I've always wondered if spontaneous human combustion is true, and I reckon if they give Gombau five more years it may well be the kicker needed for a few people to really lose it....!    lol)

Now now!

22 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Two things from the article

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/aap/article-5480439/Llorente-urges-lift-terrible-game.html

1) anyone else read his quotes in your head with the accent of de Jesus from the Big Lebowski? Or is it just me?

2) FCB will hit the roof if he reads the Gonbau quotes 

Looks like the Jets missed out on a top notch coach.

https://www.thesportsman.com/articles/newcastle-jets-need-josep-gombau

2 hours ago, EmMac said:

So to clarify, Gombau wants us to have more of the ball so we can execute more pointless passes at the back? And that we are attacking too quickly?

I honestly don't think i am watching the same team/games as he is. 

Who knows what Gombau is saying. "Sometimes we want to arrive in the attacking zone very quick and just from the back we kick the ball, which is not the football we want to play." Huh? Only sometimes? To kick the ball from the back is not a way to get to the attacking zone quickly? That's not the football we want to play? Instead we playing a slow passing game at the back?

It's one think of having the ball. It's another thing to do something productive with it once you've got it. Llorente questioned what is happening when we don't have the ball. I am not surprised that this minor technicality has escaped Gombau.

Well, enjoy the rest of the pre-season, everybody.

2 hours ago, EmMac said:

So to clarify, Gombau wants us to have more of the ball so we can execute more pointless passes at the back? And that we are attacking too quickly?

I honestly don't think i am watching the same team/games as he is. 

Exactly he’s a total loon he’s been here since round 6 and we still have no structure at all

2 hours ago, sonar said:

As opposed to our previous manager and the thousands of useless sideways and backwards and anywhere but the goals passes from last season...?

At least post jan we had some structure when we didn’t have the ball

7 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

At least post jan we had some structure when we didn’t have the ball

which jan are talking about....certainly not last year......lol we were boring, we couldn't score, we couldn't pass and we were horrible in defence. All those back passes that led to opposotion goals.........yeah we had structure.....lol  Bring back Borda....Bring back Pinatares......! lol

@makegombau#manger#for#life

Edited by sonar
2 minutes ago, sonar said:

which jan are talking about....certainly not last year......lol were were boring, we couldn't score, we couldn't pass and we horrible in defence. All those back passes that led to opposotion goals.........yeah we had structure.....lol

@makegombau#manger#for#life

Based on what?

so far nothing he has done since being here (Ikonomidis loan aside) shows he up for the job

If he can win 4 of the next games fine he should get the gig for next year, if he can’t make 6 then he needs to go

#judgegumbyonresultsnotmyth

9 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Based on what?

so far nothing he has done since being here (Ikonomidis loan aside) shows he up for the job

If he can win 4 of the next games fine he should get the gig for next year, if he can’t make 6 then he needs to go

#judgegumbyonresultsnotmyth

Carusca....a dud ?....lol

After 22 rounds  last season....

WSW 22 5 10 7 24 31 -7 25

After 22 rounds this season

WSW 22 6 9 7 28 37 -9 27

Won more games....more points. @#judgegumbyonresultsnotmyth

3 minutes ago, sonar said:

Carusca....a dud ?....lol

After 22 rounds  last season....

WSW 22 5 10 7 24 31 -7 25

After 22 rounds this season

WSW 22 6 9 7 28 37 -9 27

Won more games....more points. @#judgegumbyonresultsnotmyth

Carrusca is ace, shame he’s a season or so past his prime but he is totally ace

Btw Im still hopeful that Gumby will pull it off. I think we have a far better set of players than last year, just don’t think it’s playing like a team. There has been the odd glimpse of it but just that. 

last years squad was dreadul (in part salvaged by Antonis) 

I’m still pissed off about last year club should have gone big on signings knowing we’d be at SOP instead we got Jumpei

I dont think carrusca is a dud either. Not even saying Gombau stinks and he should therefore go.

But i do wonder about the team. I wonder if player morale and committment being so low at the mo is down to them or down to Gombau's management style?

I think its fair gombau should get a go with a squad he selected. I just hope to goodness we don't get another dud season. It wouldn't be good for the club amd wouldn't be good for the fanbase

1 minute ago, EmMac said:

I dont think carrusca is a dud either. Not even saying Gombau stinks and he should therefore go.

But i do wonder about the team. I wonder if player morale and committment being so low at the mo is down to them or down to Gombau's management style?

I think its fair gombau should get a go with a squad he selected. I just hope to goodness we don't get another dud season. It wouldn't be good for the club amd wouldn't be good for the fanbase

SOP and security issues are what is killing the fanbase.

Em, you were at the Newcastle game at Spotless where we were the better side against the number two side in the comp and  it was the best atmosphere I had experienced at that place.....poor finishing is what cost us then and has for years.  If we miss the finals I will happily agree my assessment was wrong and he isn't the man for the job. 

1 hour ago, FCB said:

Who knows what Gombau is saying. "Sometimes we want to arrive in the attacking zone very quick and just from the back we kick the ball, which is not the football we want to play." Huh? Only sometimes? 

It’s just an English as second language thing and it’s not too hard to work out if you try. He’s saying that sometimes the team goes long ball which is not what he wants.

Harass him if you disagree with tactics, sure. But players from all over the world play under coaches with limited grasp of the country’s mother tongue and do all right. It’s not that hard. If he’s not getting his message across to players that see him almost every day I doubt the issue is his grasp of English grammar.

38 minutes ago, EmMac said:

I think it would be fair for him to have a go with his own squad and preseason too. But if he can’t turn the current squad, which (shortage of centre backs aside) is decent, into a competitive team, then there is no way you’d risk another season on him. Top 6 this season is the bare minimum, he should still be aiming for top 4. 

Hopefully we see something today (although I’ve been hoping that for weeks)

2 hours ago, btron3000 said:

It’s just an English as second language thing and it’s not too hard to work out if you try. He’s saying that sometimes the team goes long ball which is not what he wants.

Harass him if you disagree with tactics, sure. But players from all over the world play under coaches with limited grasp of the country’s mother tongue and do all right. It’s not that hard. If he’s not getting his message across to players that see him almost every day I doubt the issue is his grasp of English grammar.

So we don't play long balls (which is one way to arrive in the attacking zone very quick) because we only want to get into the attacking zone sometimes? Going by the home game against Glory, we don't want to get into the attacking zone at all. 

What happened to "I want to play attacking football and be attacking always. For me, the football I like is when you score a lot of goals. I think we have the perfect players in the squad for this attacking style.” ???

Did all of that get lost in translation? Or did he say one thing in four months ago, just to do something entirely different?

Just now, FCB said:

So we don't play long balls (which is one way to arrive in the attacking zone very quick) because we only want to get into the attacking zone sometimes? Going by the home game against Glory, we don't want to get into the attacking zone at all. 

What happened to "I want to play attacking football and be attacking always. For me, the football I like is when you score a lot of goals. I think we have the perfect players in the squad for this attacking style.” ???

Did all of that get lost in translation? Or did he say one thing in four months ago, just to do something entirely different?

It’s not the attacking that worries me, it’s out lack of urgency when we don’t have the ball. Llorente is spot on 

49 minutes ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Guys rumour just came out about santalab holding talks with ccm these guys are a bit sketchy the covert agent but I'm adamant it's bullshit http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/the-covert-agent-brendon-santalab-central-coast-mariners/q3yiwych3viw19wzbb4d0b0wy

Covert agent is about as reliable as an alcoholic on monday morning. But this one could potentially have legs.

Surely there is a clean out coming at the end of the year. We know Brendon has got legs left in him but Gumby may not see him as a long term option at 25.

Santa is unlikely to go interstate with what is likely to be just 1-2 years left in his career. And we know CCM is having issues putting the ball in the net.

I don’t trust the source but it’s definitely not impossible. It will definitely hurt a bit if it happens

44 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Covert agent is about as reliable as an alcoholic on monday morning. But this one could potentially have legs.

Surely there is a clean out coming at the end of the year. We know Brendon has got legs left in him but Gumby may not see him as a long term option at 25.

Santa is unlikely to go interstate with what is likely to be just 1-2 years left in his career. And we know CCM is having issues putting the ball in the net.

I don’t trust the source but it’s definitely not impossible. It will definitely hurt a bit if it happens

Brave man that would move on Santa because if you **** up the striker situation from there and run low on goals then you are going to be persecuted. Santa is a ******* legend and the fact he is my sons all time favorite player means this should be done very carefully lol

I want Santa to stay with us until he stops playing and can put up statue of him along with Popa, Covic and Ono. I want to see Santa score the first goal in the new stadium lol A nice link between the past and the future. Maybe he will score the first goal in the new stadium for CCM against us lol

Edited by WSWBoro
1 hour ago, Upthehill said:

Santalab will be a legend of the club wherever he goes (as long as it's not the ESFC Muppets).

2 hours ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

Guys rumour just came out about santalab holding talks with ccm these guys are a bit sketchy the covert agent but I'm adamant it's bullshit http://www.goal.com/en-au/news/the-covert-agent-brendon-santalab-central-coast-mariners/q3yiwych3viw19wzbb4d0b0wy

agent taking to clubs about his off contract player then leaking it in the media to try and force existing club to offer larger contract shock

1 hour ago, WSWBoro said:

Brave man that would move on Santa because if you **** up the striker situation from there and run low on goals then you are going to be persecuted. Santa is a ******* legend and the fact he is my sons all time favorite player means this should be done very carefully lol

I want Santa to stay with us until he stops playing and can put up statue of him along with Popa, Covic and Ono. I want to see Santa score the first goal in the new stadium lol A nice link between the past and the future. Maybe he will score the first goal in the new stadium for CCM against us lol

I agree with you about him staying.......but he may want a starting position every week not coming on as a sub.

My only concern is his age..35 and the risk of injuries. Riera is the marquee striker so he should be the first picked to start. And that leaves Santalab as backup and coming off the bench. 

18 minutes ago, sonar said:

I agree with you about him staying.......but he may want a starting position every week not coming on as a sub.

My only concern is his age..35 and the risk of injuries. Riera is the marquee striker so he should be the first picked to start. And that leaves Santalab as backup and coming off the bench. 

Santa is not a starter anymore regardless of where he goes. If a club uses him as a starter regularly he will be out injured more often than not and I suspect he agrees with that himself. I get the impression that he is ok with the super sub role.

I cannot see Santa leaving "for a better offer". It's so obvious what this club means to him. I believe he would play for nothing if he had to (don't give Lederer ideas).

The only way he would leave is if Gombau et al did not offer him a contract. Which seems ridiculous considering his stature in the club and he is still scoring goals.

He should be consigned to the bench unless in an emergency until he wants to hang up the boots. And then he should be given a role within the club in some capacity (not that that has really happened with any of our former legends).

24 minutes ago, Carns said:

I cannot see Santa leaving "for a better offer". It's so obvious what this club means to him. I believe he would play for nothing if he had to (don't give Lederer ideas).

The only way he would leave is if Gombau et al did not offer him a contract. Which seems ridiculous considering his stature in the club and he is still scoring goals.

He should be consigned to the bench unless in an emergency until he wants to hang up the boots. And then he should be given a role within the club in some capacity (not that that has really happened with any of our former legends).

That would be madness and the end of Gombau. You don't let players like Santa just go. Anyway why the **** we having this discussion because he isn't going anywhere.

Which is fine.

Give him a year contract extension, and evaluate again at the end of season.

If he does get injured, we bring an injury replacement.

Should have added that we can wait until he gets through the rest of the season, do a proper medical review of the area and if that comes back clean we can look at a new contract.

Teams have had two months to offer contracts to out of contract players so if they haven't done so already, there's no need to rush.

As long as santa can play with the same passion and the body is holding up, we should keep him. That guy bleeds red and black. He still has the same intensity and reaction when he scores now as he did when he joined us. I faaarking love that about him. That is exactly what is missing from quite a few of our players. We should be feeding that santalab intensity intraveneously to the lads in the sheds before halftime!

Love Santa, do not want him to leave.  However, I think we need a young striker who can play a full game. If the marquee goes down we are stuffed, Santa can't lead the line for a season. Unfortunately with a salary cap that means that Santa can't be paid as a main man, and will barely be able to command backup striker wages, depending on where we spend our cash and what we want to pay a young bloke. So that makes it tough.

• mack unpinned this topic