A-League Round 3 2018/19

Paul01

Heartles$$ v Smurfs

Phoenix v Wanderers 

Newcastle v Melb Vic 

Perth v Brisbane

CC Mariners v Adelaide 

Smurfs and Adelaide play the FFA Cup on Tuesday night.

Babbel likely suspended. JP on field head coach

Major injuries De Jong, Blackwood

6 minutes ago, mack said:

Why would the VAR get dropped but not the ref? The ref was the one who made the decisions.

Have a listen to the new Fox pod called FootBald with Shaw, Speed and Harper.

Even that doesn't make much sense.

The VAR typically rules on offside because it's decided by the positions of the players and isn't a subjective call. They're either onside or offside. In this case there was no doubt that Sotirio was in an offside position, it was the subjective call of whether he interfered with play. That's why the on field referee came over to have a look at the tiny ipad.

If the VAR made the call why did Beath need to have a look?

Exactly. This is either a cover up with Zetter taking the fall, or just more incompetence from the FFA. VAR in this situation shouldn't be ruling. If it were a simple offside call then you might have VAR call it for them, but this is well beyond a normal offside. The entire intention of VAR is for the central referee to make the final decision.

26 minutes ago, Davo said:

Even that doesn't make much sense.

The VAR typically rules on offside because it's decided by the positions of the players and isn't a subjective call. They're either onside or offside. In this case there was no doubt that Sotirio was in an offside position, it was the subjective call of whether he interfered with play. That's why the on field referee came over to have a look at the tiny ipad.

Maybe it comes back to the "clear and obvious error interpretation"?

Beath had a look on the 9 inch laptop, decided he made a clear and obvious error in awarding the goal and made a decision for foul play and cancelled the goal.

Then, after the game, he decided to have another look at it again, decided he'd made ANOTHER clear and obvious error, then fronted the media with the technically correct offside EXCUSE and even that was open to interpretation and few pundits agreed, except for our mate Slater. 

This is why VAR is failing in this country. Our ref's are just not up to scratch. Simples.

Edited by Wanderboy
23 minutes ago, Davo said:

EXACTLY!

Why do they ever need to look?

By very definition a “Clear and Obvious Error” shouldn’t need the ref again because it’s clear and obvious!

It’s all a show. Hey, Maccas get their name in lights for a few minutes per game.

11 hours ago, tardotz said:

If city play they played today, they will be contenders for the wooden spoon.

Yep pathetic. not a good  game to watch ..The  masters from Man City  had the EPL trophy and Carabao Cup on Display . Bet they were NOT happy with that performance . A few on  tour Man city reps watching their first A League Game....that game was not a good showcase for the League.....

3 hours ago, jockman said:

A few on  tour Man city reps watching their first A League Game....that game was not a good showcase for the League.....

Will any City game be? It was decent when they had Mooy, but apart from when they have a clear advantage in quality, their games are crap because they are STILL Melbourne HeartLESS.

I wonder if their masters are starting to realise that you won’t be the best when you can’t buy the best players and one of the best coaches and pay for a zillion junior training facilities, and are hampered by a cap? When, without the ability to spend zillions, your lack of soul is exposed.

Anyway, I’m not glad Sydney won, but I’m kinda glad City got touched up when they brought the cups down.

What a toss. The World Cup, I get it. But to parade a cup from another league around is just weird. Would we let the champions of Thailand bring their cup to the ground? 

It’s such an arse-kissing exercise and is part of the problem with Australian (and Asian) football.  Let’s all fawn over the Premier League. “Here are the cups that you never really got to experience because you only watch us on tv.” 

Go away.

59 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Anyway, I’m not glad Sydney won, but I’m kinda glad City got touched up when they brought the cups down.

What a toss. The World Cup, I get it. But to parade a cup from another league around is just weird. Would we let the champions of Thailand bring their cup to the ground? 

It’s such an arse-kissing exercise and is part of the problem with Australian (and Asian) football.  Let’s all fawn over the Premier League. “Here are the cups that you never really got to experience because you only watch us on tv.” 

Go away.

Im a born an bred city fan..born within walking distance to the old maine road. But agree with your comments. All a bit cringeworthy..