wendybr

Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

14 minutes ago, Cynth said:

Can I just say that I had no idea JP was this far gone. As a psychologist and a scientist-practitioner, he should have more respect for the science, for scientists, for the scientific method. 

Low resolution thinking”? Lol. But getting men to “clean their room” is high resolution? See ya JP, your move away from psychology is complete. 

He’s a proper RWNJ not as unhinged as Rubin but given he claims to be evidence based, he is just bad, he gives the bellends an air of credibility 

I had no idea until Wendy (and my slightly obsessive nature) took me down this spiral of reading his tweets and watching some of his bullshit, who Rubin was. I advise against following the same path though. It’s totally depressing and frustrating and only seems to get worse. No wonder we are screwed. They are basically a more sophisticated Andrew Bolt

Im not going to research Peterson anymore for my own sanity sake but I’ve done enough to confirm (ok yes confirmation bias) that he’s a total nob.

A short cut is to look at who he stands with and for.

Edited by StringerBellend

On 12/11/2019 at 7:26 PM, StringerBellend said:

Long as young people don't listen to your mate on twitter then?

Or your other mate

Peterson doubts the scientific consensus on climate change. Peterson has said he is “very skeptical of the models that are used to predict climate change”, He has also said, “You can’t trust the data because too much ideology is involved”.  

In a 2018 Cambridge Union address, Peterson said that climate change will not unite anyone, that focusing on climate change is “low-resolution thinking”, and there are other more important issues in the world.

I did decide some time ago not to respond to your taunts about either of these guys - neither of whom I have listened to or watched since well before whatever I first posted that encouraged you to become obsessive about them. lol.

Re the 2018 Cambridge Union address of 12 months ago...which I have seen some time in the past...

I'm not entirely  sure that a Wikipedia entry sums up what JP  was on about.

There ARE things in that clip that I would totally take exception to, in what he says  about the status of CC as a global threat. Absolutely I disagree!

But he was actually answering a question about whether humanity is likely to rally around,  in response to the ravages of climate change, and unite to find solutions.

"PFFFFFFT!" would actually be my reaction to that same question... on the basis of the global "rallying/unifying" on offer for the past 50 years. I'd be with him, unfortunately, in answering "No" :(

NOT "No, we shouldn't be unifying", but "No - are you kidding?  It's highly unlikely that enough will be done to avert the worst of it"- the beginnings of which are already upon us, it would seem.

His response in that interview was rambling and, in my opinion, marked by the pessimism and depression that he says he has lived with all his life.

I don't really know what else he's said about Climate Change, and basically, who cares? 

He's a psychologist who suffers from depression, not a climate scientist. He's being asked about human psychology, and its response to a global challenge, more than about whether Climate Change is real.

Anyway - this clip  isn't at all inspiring, quite the opposite. But he gives an honest, off the cuff  and sadly realistic answer to the question of humanity's RESPONSE to Climate Change...and then rambles off topic, and does say some dubious stuff.

I wouldn't say it's evidence that he's up there with Alan Jones as a Climate Change denier, tho.

And to be honest, I'm far more disturbed by our political leaders' attitudes towards action on Climate Change, and mitigation strategies for dealing with it, than I am about his.

Except Wendy if he really said “you can’t trust the data because there is ideology involved”, that’s a real sell out to the science models he subscribes to in his (and my) profession. That’s the part that got me. 

Edited by Cynth

10 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

my slightly obsessive nature took me down this spiral...

:xnod:

Yes. I do hope you can put it aside.

:D :D

42 minutes ago, Cynth said:

Except Wendy if he really said “you can’t trust the data because there is ideology involved”, that’s a real sell out to the science models he subscribes to in his (and my) profession. That’s the part that got me. 

There is ideology involved on both sides.

Pure idiocy plus self- interest along with ideology on one side... and data and ideology... on the other. 

I don't know whether he said anything of that nature, but he doesn't dispute the mess that is climate change, as far as I heard in that clip.

He challenges the idea that humanity will unite to fight it (exactly what the evidence suggests) and he states that no one really knows how to stop it, with  agreed upon practical measures...and that may well also be true.

Not that we shouldn't try - OF COURSE we should.

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

There is ideology involved on both sides.

Pure idiocy plus self- interest along with ideology on one side... and data and ideology... on the other. 

I don't know whether he said anything of that nature, but he doesn't dispute the mess that is climate change, as far as I heard in that clip.

He challenges the idea that humanity will unite to fight it (exactly what the evidence suggests) and he states that no one really knows how to stop it, with  agreed upon practical measures...and that may well also be true.

Not that we shouldn't try - OF COURSE we should.

Another one of the "fine people on both sides' arguments

He also likes a bit of it's Wokeness gone mad..

If he isn't a denier (which he is), at best he is arguing against climate change, by throwing in that it is some sort of lefty "ideology". 

He's a RWNJ (admittedly more subtle than the other nobhead) and I can't understand how you continue to defend them both despite evidence (in the form of their own twitter accounts). Is it "ideology"?

Edited by StringerBellend

idiocy + self interest + ideology VS data + ideology

okay balance that out

idiocy + self interest VS data

hmmm

12 hours ago, wendybr said:

ScumMo will be impressed - not! :lol::lol:

How woke of them 

Let's say for argument's sake, climate change is proven to false in the future. However, we implement a range of positive environmental policies and invest in renewable energy over the next few years. What's going to be the outcome?

A more sustainable, cleaner planet with a reduction of waste and pollution... 

Wow, what a **** result. My children and grandchildren are going to hate that :rolleyes: 

4 hours ago, Neverbloom said:

i know this happened a while ago but this video was just posted

I’m going to hate it aren’t I

Kerry Anne on morning TV says we should run over protestors, no response. This women asks a rhetorical question of how many more women must die

The show is taken down and calls for q and a to be axed.

Ffs I thought I was supposed to be the “snowflake”

The double standards for the debating team will literally be the death of us all.

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Kerry Anne on morning TV says we should run over protestors, no response. This women asks a rhetorical question of how many more women must die

it wasnt the only thing that was said but i didnt know kerry anne said that, as irritating as the protestors are maybe they shouldnt be run over

speaking of snowflakes the odd thing is the left are meant to be snowflakes but donald trump is the biggest snowflake of them all

2 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Did you watch her on Q&A?

She was demented...as I think Goat might have said.

What she said was indefensible, from the little I could actually take in, my brain was so numb with her rantings.

this is old but considering international men's day is on in 2 days its topical

it even features everyone's best friend jordan peterson

15 minutes ago, wendybr said:

100% this.

Thank God The Greens aren't cowering, along with Morrison. Labor is weak.

Labor just aren’t making enough of a performance or spectacularisation of the situation

39 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Did you watch her on Q&A?

She was demented...as I think Goat might have said.

What she said was indefensible, from the little I could actually take in, my brain was so numb with her rantings.

Yep

im not a fan, but she didn’t support a far right racist, deny climate change or ridicule those protesting against inaction, so she was several steps in sanity up over your mate 

2 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Well that saves me clicking on it 

only for a few seconds plus what jordan is saying is actually right

but i dont expect you or many people to actually like that video either way with or without jordan