W-League & WSW WL Discussion 2020/21

5 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

I agree, pretty sure she was also in the NSW WNPL this season?

No.

I think there are 5 W-league keepers playing in NSW WNPL1  are

Jada Matheson 

Courtney Newbon (our reserve GK)

Khamis (which ever one it is)

Casey Dumont (Melb Victory)

Eliza Campbell (Perth Glory)

Team signed so far

Caitlin Cooper
Oliva Price
Courtney Nevin
Susan Phonsongkham
Georgia Yeoman-dale
Danica Matos
Chloe Middleton
Courtney Newbon (GK)
Sarah Willacy (GK)

Australian players not signed from last season who were not signed in Europe

Kyra Cooney-cross
Alix Roberts
Alex Huynh
Erica Holloway

• 2 weeks later...

One of our W-League goalkeepers, Courtney Newbon, played in the WNPL1 Grandfinal today.

I think Mack may be pleased to know that with her side down 1-2 came up for a corner during extra time. She also stayed in the attacking half to try and win the GF. Still lost but stayed up. 

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Don't forget that the Mariners previously had a W-League team (effectively Sydney FC 'B' team or those locals who didn't get along with Staj). It was always going to be difficult to maintain a team when the Wanderers came along plus Sydney based girls also playing for Newcastle and Canberra

10 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Don't forget that the Mariners previously had a W-League team (effectively Sydney FC 'B' team or those locals who didn't get along with Staj). It was always going to be difficult to maintain a team when the Wanderers came along plus Sydney based girls also playing for Newcastle and Canberra

I didnt know that. 

Sea-bogans didn't win the WNPL2 either.

Forget the sentimentality. Is a decent coach, or at least have the potential to be a decent coach? Hopefully he has either shown some potential (or even demonstrated ability; I have no idea what he has been doing since he stopped playing) or the salary is low enough to be worth a punt.

1 hour ago, Unlimited said:

Just needs to impart how to make perhaps the greatest save in ACL Final History to the up and coming goalkeepers and I’ll be happy with that 

There are only so many saves in history that make me watch it over and over again. Gordon Banks against Pele, Schwarzer penalty saves and this one which (no bias) is the best save ever.

2 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

There are only so many saves in history that make me watch it over and over again. Gordon Banks against Pele, Schwarzer penalty saves and this one which (no bias) is the best save ever.

A lot of people say it was Aloisi that won the game against Uruguay ( he did in the end ) but for me it was Schwazers saves that gave Aloisi the chance to win it.

Edited by sonar

We signed another Newcastle player who is a midfielder. She picked up 4 yellows last season and got suspended. More like it. Probably means Cooney-cross back to Melbourne.

https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/news/copus-brown-commits-wanderers

And was a winner for Manly United in the NSW NPLW Grand Final 

https://www.myfootball.com.au/news/manly-united-crowned-2020-npl-nsw-womens-champions

1 hour ago, Paul01 said:

We signed another Newcastle player who is a midfielder. She picked up 4 yellows last season and got suspended. More like it. Probably means Cooney-cross back to Melbourne.

https://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/news/copus-brown-commits-wanderers

And was a winner for Manly United in the NSW NPLW Grand Final 

https://www.myfootball.com.au/news/manly-united-crowned-2020-npl-nsw-womens-champions

and "has featured in 16 matches since 2013" Isn't that 2 matches per year?

3 hours ago, alexd said:

and "has featured in 16 matches since 2013" Isn't that 2 matches per year?

I looked up her record. She played every game, except suspensions, for the last 2 seasons.  Plus played the whole NPLW season for Manly United (11 normal season + 2 finals)

• 3 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

I can't quite work out why the venue wouldn't reopen unless it's in a state of disrepair.

The people who own the stadium were impacted by Covid, they also own the adjacent licensed club, and had to close down a 2nd licensed venue in the suburbs because of it. They probably don't think it's worth whatever it would cost to re-open, and the W-League club and the NPL club that used it likely can't afford to pay them enough to make it worth keeping open.

27 minutes ago, mack said:

The people who own the stadium were impacted by Covid, they also own the adjacent licensed club, and had to close down a 2nd licensed venue in the suburbs because of it. They probably don't think it's worth whatever it would cost to re-open, and the W-League club and the NPL club that used it likely can't afford to pay them enough to make it worth keeping open.

Such a shame as it is a pretty decent venue...surprised the W League team hasn't moved to Deakin though

• mack unpinned this topic