World Cup 2014 Thread

Guest mickisnot

People who use Reddit have most likely already seen these. But I'll share these for the people who don't. There has been a big emergence of anti World Cup graffiti. I'll post some of the most moving ones I have found:

U2SOpBA.jpg?1

NY7352H.jpg?1

To5ra7W.jpg?1

ryv5pc4.jpg?1

This next one is my personal favourite:

IQDJSsv.png?1

General WC question, 

why do they bother playing the playoff game for third place?

At the Olympics it makes sense to play for the Bronze medal, but why at the WC?

I think in Australia we're too focused on the winner only and no one cares about what happened below 1st place.

Whereas in other (especially the smaller) countries, they do care very much about those lesser positions. If you think about it, it is indeed a big deal to be the 3rd best team in the world out of 265 countries!

I remember in Hungary when I was a kid, in the nightly sports news they used to report on all sorts of sports and various competitions and they used to mention if one of our competitors or teams came even 5th in, say, the European rowing championship. And you couldn't even say it was because Hungarian athletes hardly ever won anything, because Hungary has been punching above its weight by for example typically being well inside in the top 10 in the Olympic medal tally.

So I don't mind the 3rd place playoff, I'd love to be able to say one day that Australia came 3rd at the World Cup!

I understand the 'what the...' factor re the third place playoff but as you say Bom there is a lot riding on that game for those invested in the match. I still think the best game Germany played at the 2006 finals wasn't their massacre of Saudi Arabia but the 3rd place play-off against Portugal. I'm sure those who supported South Korea felt the same in 2002, or Croatia in 1998

Spanish squad:

Bo9ZLvtCUAEdIId.jpg

Dutch squad:

Goalkeepers: Cillessen, Vorm, Krul

Defenders: Janmaat, Verheagh, De Vrij, Veltman, Vlaar, Martins Indi, Kongolo

Midfielders: Clasie, Blind, De Jong, De Guzman, Fer, Sneijder, Wijnaldum

Attackers: Robben, Van Persie, Lens, Huntelaar, Kuijt, Depay

Squads like spain are fascinating - so strong in depth players like Negredo and Nevas don't make it.

How Torres continues to get picked is beyond is me.

Navas would've been picked but for injury,but yeah quality talent and Torres selection interesting.

And most Latin Americans learn English through US culture, I'd be more surprised if they used the British/Australian spelling.

The protester is out there making a good point, don't diss him for trivialities! Much the same argument could be made against hosting World Cups in developing countries, but on balance it's worthwhile taking this event beyond the developed world; that said, Brazil is hardly a new frontier??

I was very happy at how South Africa gave a great party four years ago. Hosting rights is far from a straightforward issue.

More FIFA corruption allegations http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27652181

FIFA corrupt! Who would have thunk it hey  :cheeky:

When Blatter does eventually step down I can see some major criminal investigations taking place...including on Blatter himself. But whilst SB remains at the top of FIFA they have proved untouchable so far.

Disgrace to the world game that we have dodgy crooks in charge of it, but Blatter will get his comeuppance one day I am sure :diablo:  

Edited by WSWBoro

On 7 news just now , SHOCK HORROR !! A man was shot by police near Copacabana beach , right where 100's of Aussie soccer fans will be in a few weeks time! Really? Only 1 was shot?? Lol , that's like reporting that a tourist was ripped off by 1 gypsy in Rome!! Crap like this happens every week in Rio , not just when the WC comes to town! Stupid non football loving journos!!!

Guest mickisnot

More FIFA corruption allegations http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/27652181

FIFA corrupt! Who would have thunk it hey  :cheeky:

When Blatter does eventually step down I can see some major criminal investigations taking place...including on Blatter himself. But whilst SB remains at the top of FIFA they have proved untouchable so far.

Disgrace to the world game that we have dodgy crooks in charge of it, but Blatter will get his comeuppance one day I am sure :diablo:  

FIFA is just Swiss bullshit, and very obviously corrupt.

They consistently bully smaller nations to enforce their law. Look up what happened to Josip Simunic. Anyone who knows anything about Yugoslavian history knows he did nothing wrong. A 10 match ban for nothing for racism? What. The. ****.

Just realised that on ESPN that they have been showing workd cup warm up matches.... Grrrrrrr I hope I didn't miss out on too many of them!!! Went through the TV guide and there a shitload of friendlies this week on ESPN about 5-10 of them plus a whole lot of flashbacks to the workd cup matches in 1990's, keep and eye out for them ladies and gents!!

Anyway Holland v Ghana

- Dutch play 5 at the back in this game which was strange cause they usually play 433 apparently,

- first half Dutch dominated with about 2 tap ins chances (1 was scored), two shots well saved and a 1v1 too but they could only convert only once in the first half.

- The Dutch press so well, Ghana tried playing out from the back with some high quality passes but the pressing was too good in the end. Socceroo's shouldn't even bother trying to counter the press

- the front 5 players of the Dutch are so good, that there passes were like a hot knife going through butter and if we put in a performance like we did against South Africa we will be in trouble

- I was really hoping that the Dutch were going to be our weakest team but in this game they have definitely showed that they have some really high quality players who are all in good nick (Robbin, van Persia, snejider,de Jong etc etc)

- Ghana aren't chumps either, where we just have one player at a top level, they have about 5 at a top level and where we have 3-4 players just playing medium level (kruse, Ryan, bresc) they have about 8. So they will be a scary prospect for whoever plays against them,

- Sevond half intensity dropped off and wasn't such a great half, Ghana could have nicked a draw but there opportunities were few and far between!

If anyone is interested my work (well i have) set up a world cup tipping competition and quiz.

Some cool prizes to the top tippers like PS4, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, also some prizes given out randomly just for playing.

Find out more info here: http://www.voltimum.com.au/volticup2014

F*** the tipping comp, are you hiring?

If anyone is interested my work (well i have) set up a world cup tipping competition and quiz.

Some cool prizes to the top tippers like PS4, Samsung Galaxy Tablet, also some prizes given out randomly just for playing.

Find out more info here: http://www.voltimum.com.au/volticup2014

F*** the tipping comp, are you hiring?

LOL not at the moment man, whats your background?

We usually need people from marketing / web development / e-commerce functions