Bentleigh Greens vs Western Sydney Wanderers 29/08/2017 7:30PM

1 hour ago, matty said:

Am I right in thinking that no aleague club has lost against a lower division club this deep into the cup? 

Yup.

A-League vs NPL losses are:

• Adelaide City vs WSW R32 2014
  • Green Gully vs Mariners R32 2016
  • Redlands United vs Adelaide R32 2016
  • Heidelberg vs Perth R32 2017
  • Blacktown City vs Mariners R32 2017

I think there's only been one game where an NPL team has even lead the A-League team in the R16 or beyond. Strikers were in front of Melb City for 3 minutes in 2016. Next closest to winning a R16 game I believe is Queensland Lions from NPL2 QLD who took a 0-0 draw into extra time against Perth Glory (who scored in the 116th minute to win).

3rd tier teams have made it to the R16 three times, St Albans in 2014 (beating Parramatta FC another 3rd tier team), Queensland Lions 2015 (beating NPLSA Croydon) & Bankstown Berries 2017 (beating NPLSA Metrostars). None have got through.

3 hours ago, mack said:

Yup.

A-League vs NPL losses are:

• Adelaide City vs WSW R32 2014
  • Green Gully vs Mariners R32 2016
  • Redlands United vs Adelaide R32 2016
  • Heidelberg vs Perth R32 2017
  • Blacktown City vs Mariners R32 2017

I think there's only been one game where an NPL team has even lead the A-League team in the R16 or beyond. Strikers were in front of Melb City for 3 minutes in 2016. Next closest to winning a R16 game I believe is Queensland Lions from NPL2 QLD who took a 0-0 draw into extra time against Perth Glory (who scored in the 116th minute to win).

3rd tier teams have made it to the R16 three times, St Albans in 2014 (beating Parramatta FC another 3rd tier team), Queensland Lions 2015 (beating NPLSA Croydon) & Bankstown Berries 2017 (beating NPLSA Metrostars). None have got through.

With Bentleigh Greens alive in their finals, they have to squad rotate. Nick Ward is one of their former A-league players

Wanderer's Live will be providing a radio broadcast

Replying to @Wandererstragic

Yes. According to the sports director @nkutnjak, live call at the ground in Melb with around the grounds at the 3 Sydney venues

9:36 PM - 26 Aug 2017

I expect a strong line up.

Important game not just because of the FFA Cup but because I want to see a few more competitive games in September / early October before the season proper starts. If we get through tonight I hope we would draw someone who could give us a real testing in the next round. I want to see us hit the first HAL game flying and the FFA Cup is an important step towards that in my opinion. Regardless of the side put out I am expecting a strong performance from us, but also Bentleigh not to be push overs by any means.

You cannot replicate competitive games with meaningless friendlies, the FFA Cup is the best preparation for the season ahead on offer.

And the thought of watching a WSW game live always gives me a boost  :good:Game day.... :clapping:

Edited by WSWBoro
57 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Main game on fox yeah 

popa should put out a strong lineup I suspect any word from tauras what we can expect?

Good week of football with this and Aussies on Thursday 

Other than Cejudo (virus) Bridge & Llorente we have a decent squad to choose from.

I may get some further info today, but I'm expecting us to put out something like this. 

Vedran

Risdon, Cornflakes, Thwaite / Aspro, Clisby

Baccus, Herd

Jumpei, Roly, Sotirio

Riera

Bench - Hall, Santa / Scott, Lustica, Hamill, Melling 

Cejudo to miss Bentleigh match

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/c5/ee/cejudo_1fipntlx1wv5q11q8bhaus9zgw.jpg?t=659390110&h=418&w=745&quality=85

Cejudo

Cejudo will miss out on tonight's match due to illness

Tuesday, 29 August 2017 -

Marquee man Álvaro Cejudo will have to wait to make his Wanderers debut after Tony Popovic revealed the Spaniard will miss tonight’s Westfield FFA Cup clash against Bentleigh Greens due to illness.

The number 10 arrived at the club just days before the Red & Black’s Westfield FFA Cup Round of 32 victory against Wellington Phoenix and will now sit out of tonight’s clash after struggling with a virus over the weekend.

“He unfortunately was struck down with a bit of a virus,” said Popovic.

“He’s been in bed for three or four days so unfortunately he won’t be available.”

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/bf/33/cejudo_nrucn3raf3tu1i3br2en7blea.jpg?t=-1757419795

Cejudo

“His family arrived a few days ago so that’ll will certainly make him a lot happier and settled.”

Despite the setback, Popovic says Cejudo and fellow marquee man Oriol Riera have both progressed very well since joining the club.

“I think they’ve acclimatised well with Australia, with the football here.

“They’ve certainly been accepted by the players and they’re enjoying their time here.”

With the signing of Raúl Llorente yesterday, the Wanderers now boast three Spanish imports and Popovic says the early signs from trio are very positive.

“We’re happy to have them all and I’m sure [Assistant Coach] Andrés will be a good interpreter if needed but they all speak English and they’ve come here for all the right reasons.

“They want to come here and win, they want to be successful, they want to show their talent and they want to be part of a successful team.”

Read more at http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/cejudo-to-miss-bentleigh-match/19sklyfk4x0bg1l5ilbx027jeb#AtMOu0I2W0Iv1o6O.99

1 minute ago, Carns said:

His Thai club got the shits when he left. They claimed he was still a contracted player, despite not paying him. It obviously has not been resolved yet.

Then named him in the first game back after the mid season break when he had already announced through the PFA that he had cancelled his contract with his Thai club over unpaid wages.

4 minutes ago, Erebus said:

Dodgy tinpot leagues. Don't pay wages then complain when a player gets the lawyers involved and leaves.

Hopefully it gets resolved soon.

https://www.lawinsport.com/blog/john-shea/item/unpaid-players-wages-the-legal-position

This also gives a bit of information about unpaid players and the players having "just cause" to terminate there contract.

The case is also not so simple as unpaid wages. A lot of it stems back to the injury that he suffered and some of the fall out behind the scenes.

Was wages actually mentioned as the reason for the termination of the contract? I remember when the news article came out, that it was vaguely worded and contained a whole lot of fluff.

• mack locked this topic