World Cup 2018

mack

2 hours ago, WSWBoro said:

Not sure there is a group of death this time, Group B with Spain and Portugal together perhaps with Iran going unbeaten in qualifying and Morocco okish...

Group F looks hard seeing Germany and Sweden together along with Mexico, zee Germans will at least get a testing in the group stage.

Groups A and H are where you would want to be I think and Denmark should deff not be dismissed lol 

They're being called groups of life, I think. LOL!

Fantastic that we aren't up against our usual 2-3 giants of world football - so we don't have to go into the WC practically assured that we won't get further then the group stage. 

Now...all we need is a coach!!

Anyway....:xbop::xbop:

The french reaction...

Didier Deschamps says World Cup draw ‘could have been worse’, Peru says Socceroos like NZ

December 2, 2017 8:03am

Marcel Desailly (L), Herve Renard, Manager of Morocco (middle) and Didier Deschamps, Manager of France (R) takes a selfieMarcel Desailly (L), Herve Renard, Manager of Morocco (middle) and Didier Deschamps, Manager of France (R) takes a selfieSource: Getty Images
FRANCE coach Didier Deschamps said his side “have to win their group”, after Friday’s World Cup draw in Moscow pitted the 1998 champions against Australia, Peru and Denmark in Group C.

“I’m going to give a classic answer: It could have been worse,” Deschamps, who captained France to World Cup glory 19 years ago on home soil, told BeIN Sport.

“Whatever the group, the French team have to qualify for the knockout round and have to finish first in the group. That will be our objective.”

World Cup draw, Russia 2018.World Cup draw, Russia 2018.Source: FOX SPORTS

A French outfit boasting a host of attacking talent, including Antoine Griezmann and Kylian Mbappe, will kick off their 2018 campaign against Australia in Kazan on June 16, before games against Peru in Yekaterinburg on June 21 and Denmark at Moscow’s Luzhniki Stadium five days later.

Croatia coach Zlatko Dalic (L), Saudi Arabia coach Juan Antonio Pizzi (C) and Peru's coach Ricardo Gareca (R).Croatia coach Zlatko Dalic (L), Saudi Arabia coach Juan Antonio Pizzi (C) and Peru's coach Ricardo Gareca (R

“The common thing about these three teams is that they all came through playoffs to reach the World Cup, as we did in 2014,” Deschamps added.

“We are going to spend a lot of time planning our preparation for this World Cup.”

Deschamps also told TMC: “We’ll have the time to analyse our opponents in friendly games. It gives us supplementary information which will allow us to make all necessary plans.

“We’ll set up friendlies that correspond with them. Last time, you were all unanimous in saying that it was a great draw, even certain players... it’s not going to happen just by clicking our fingers. We’re going to work on ourselves, on our opponents, and go to this World Cup with a lot of ambition.”

Peru’s boss Ricardo Gareca said, through translation: “I’m pleased with the group.

“It’s possible France and Peru are on a higher level, but everyone is going to be hard to beat. We’ve just played New Zealand and we think Australia will be similar to them.”

Denmark defender Peter Ankersen said: “France are really strong but I saw their games against Sweden. There are places where you can hurt France.”

“The other two teams, Australia and Peru, I’m not too familiar with them but immediately I think it’s a good enough draw.”

Australia is currently ranked No.39 by FIFA, while New Zealand is No.122.

I only hope our country isn't embarassed by a flogging in the group. In 2014 we conceded nine goals and scored three.

The coach has slithered off into the sunset and a new manager is needed. It is going to be a monumental task to get out of the group.

Whoever takes over has a job to ensure we don't leak goals. We are not in the same class as France or Denmark and a win over either of them would be a massive upset on our part. On current form you could reasonably expect us to lose to France and Denmark and either draw or win against Peru, or though if we play the same system that Postecoglu played during the qualifiers we could easily lose all three.

Going to be tough. But as they you have to be in it to win it so at least we are there.

10 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

A quote from an article on the World Game site

"Ryan, who started all three games for Australia at June's Confederations Cup in Russia, believes Australia returns their (sic) with a very real opportunity to reach the last 32 ..."

Ermm ... *shakes head*

Edited by wendybr
Ooops! I misread your quote!

That article just shows you the different opinions across the globe, or just that the Peru coach doesn't know much! If he thinks that Peru are up there with France as the best two in the group and that we are like New Zealand...

away from South America I think Peru are there for the taking, they're not that good.

If you look at the groups we could have got, I'd have ours at about 4th or 5th hardest, so right in the middle.

A and H were clearly the groups we wanted.

Then probably would have preferred E as you're pretty sure Brasil will beat everyone, Costa Rica have to travel away from the Americas and Switzerland  are just ok.

After that it was probably between C and G - both have one star European team and another decent one, and a team from the Americas. G probably would have been better for us given that Panama are probably worse than Peru as they snuck through useless CONCACAF, and you know we'd always feel we have a chance against England - like a derby form doesn't matter.

B, F, and Ds were NOs, although perhaps people are giving Portugal too much credit. Yeah Spain are a Pot 1 team who were in Pot 2, but I think Portugal are a Pot 2 team. Still you wouldn't want to have to get over them and Morocco.

9 minutes ago, Swanderer said:

So we are just like NZ according to Peru. Good, keep thinking that hamster eaters............

Notice that technically all our games in Russia are actually in the Asian part of Russia............... we have home advantage:xbop:

I thought they ate guinea pigs....

whatever, they're furry little animals anyway!   :crazy:

3 minutes ago, TheFootyofOz said:

Guinea Pigs *

Gareca is doing that to put pressure I reckon but I don't know on who. I do think we're better than Australia but it will be a much tougher game. New Zealand was almost a piss take.

Yet you didn't win away in Wellington...Going to be interesting. We will have a new manager, new tactics perhaps, and maybe different personnel. Take us for granted at your peril.

PS....don't take the jibes about Guinea pigs or hamsters to heart. The banter has started early....lol

4 minutes ago, sonar said:

Yet you didn't win away in Wellington...Going to be interesting. We will have a new manager, new tactics perhaps, and maybe different personnel. Take us for granted at your peril.

PS....don't take the jibes about Guinea pigs or hamsters to heart. The banter has started early....lol

I'm used to it haha

It was a piss take though - even in Wellington all they could do was defend. They couldn't string 3 consecutive passes. If I was an All Whites Fan I would have been embarrassed.

1 minute ago, TheFootyofOz said:

I'm used to it haha

It was a piss take though - even in Wellington all they could do was defend. They couldn't string 3 consecutive passes. If I was an All Whites Fan I would have been embarrassed.

You still couldn't score.  Teams will know they can park the bus against you guys.  France will definetly test you, so will Denmark., your only hope of any point (s) may be against us.mmmmaybe......lol

49 minutes ago, TheFootyofOz said:

I do think we're better than Australia but it will be a much tougher game.

Do Peru travel well?

We've got the advantage that we have many players already based in Europe and have already played in Russia in the Confeds.

I am sure it'll be a very tough game regardless. Looking forward to playing some new nations.

11 hours ago, Carns said:

Do Peru travel well?

We've got the advantage that we have many players already based in Europe and have already played in Russia in the Confeds.

I am sure it'll be a very tough game regardless. Looking forward to playing some new nations.

Away form can be dodgy but we are a good tournament team as proven in the Copa America.

I'm a big fan of the socceroos, I watched most of their games in qualys but I think we're better. Not by a long shot mind.

8 hours ago, TheFootyofOz said:

I'm a big fan of the socceroos, I watched most of their games in qualys but I think we're better. Not by a long shot mind.

As an outsider looking in, what is your take on the changes to our system halfway through our qualification process. ?

The main difference between our two nations may be in attack. We can create a lot of chances but do not have a consistent upfront goalscorer, and in a lot of the qualification games.....( especially Thailand ) ...we were all over the opposition but lack of goals to match those chances cost us automatic qualification. 

It will be an interesting World Cup. No Italy, Netherlands,USA,. Germany and Brasil will be favourites, and wouldn't Brasil just love the chance to avenge the utter humiliation of 2014 that was dished out to them at home by the Germans. Are Peru a chance...?

11 hours ago, TheFootyofOz said:

Away form can be dodgy but we are a good tournament team as proven in the Copa America.

Big difference between playing a tournament in the Americas compared to Europe though. Climate, pitches, conditions are all new. Not to mention a lot further from home.

If Australia can't get through I would love to see Peru do well, always good to see underdogs performing above expectations.

On 02/12/2017 at 8:28 AM, sonar said:

though if we play the same system that Postecoglu played during the qualifiers we could easily lose all three.

Thank **** he's gone. Playing the way we did recently, we would have got absolutely hammered in the first two games. We still might but if we set up more sensibly we can compete with them. 

Still amazing that we're here at all, we were a bee's dick away from losing to Syria.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Amazing. We are following Serbia, so could be a chance for a Moscow catchup ? (Serbia Vs Brasil)

Still deciding on trying to get a ticket for Aus. vs. France. Will be in Samara for Serbias first game on the 17th, but Kazan is only 3hrs by car... Sussing out if its feasible to get to and from .

D

• 3 weeks later...

The Guardian reporting that there are no British Referees in the pool of officials. 

After checking the list, we will not be disgraced by Australian A-league officials in Russia (no Gillett, Green, Evans etc). There are only 2 A-league officials both from NZ.

• 1 month later...
1 minute ago, marron said:

Optus have the rest I believe?

And are offering a monthly deal or something?

Yes, Optus will play all 64 games

You can buy an Optus Sports subscription, independent of having another telco for your internet needs

that plan is around $15 per month

• mack unpinned this topic