Squad Development 2018/19 Part 1

On 27/12/2018 at 10:44 AM, StringerBellend said:

Keanu is one of the few players I’d be upset to see go

I personally don’t see it yet with Keanu. Passing us average, gives away needless fouls constantly, always picks up a yellow, seems to get pulled all over the park running around like a headless chook. But he is young and with an experienced head next to him may develop into a good player. But for me don’t see it, yet

For a part of Sydney that has produced so many quality Socceroos and players that carved out a great career in Europe am I the only one disappointed in what we have produced? If the best we can come up with coming through our juniors/set up is sotirio, keanu, Scott we may as well close the junior set up. It needs a complete overhaul. Can anyone name one player that has come through the juniors that you can sit back and go wow, this boy has got it? I can’t name one. They all have potential but potential to be good A-league level and that’s it.

1 hour ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

I asked the guy, Michael Turner on Instagram, said they haven't approached Keanu yet. Apparently we attempted to sign Mitch Duke, but he opted to stay in Europe and Asia. Juric is a no as he is too expensive. Riera has interest but no offers. Brattan said he wasn't against a move to Wanderers and is a good possibility.

i completely forgot about duke tbh

13 minutes ago, Xfactor said:

For a part of Sydney that has produced so many quality Socceroos and players that carved out a great career in Europe am I the only one disappointed in what we have produced? If the best we can come up with coming through our juniors/set up is sotirio, keanu, Scott we may as well close the junior set up. It needs a complete overhaul. Can anyone name one player that has come through the juniors that you can sit back and go wow, this boy has got it? I can’t name one. They all have potential but potential to be good A-league level and that’s it.

I still think aspro is the best of the juniors that we have brought through so far (until his leg fell off)

The next batch however is where it’s at 

Grozos, Tokich and Roberts look good 

Keanu if he cuts the stupid fouls out  is / will be a good player too

1 hour ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

I asked the guy, Michael Turner on Instagram, said they haven't approached Keanu yet. Apparently we attempted to sign Mitch Duke, but he opted to stay in Europe and Asia. Juric is a no as he is too expensive. Riera has interest but no offers. Brattan said he wasn't against a move to Wanderers and is a good possibility.

Just what we need another winger who doesn’t score 

4 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Turner is a real estate agent from memory, he’s not a Wanderers employee. You’re in grain of salt territory there.

Duke has a Japanese PR now I believe. He won’t be in an hurry. His wife also wants to stay there from what I’m told. 

No offers will come for Riera till Jan.

We will see action in December, won’t get to ahead of ourselves

4 hours ago, Xfactor said:

I don't think we can really judge until the Academy is in production line mode.

Mariners have done well out of our backyard before 2012, but the next Jedinak and Ryan (and Bulut :ninja:) will come through our ranks.

5 hours ago, StringerBellend said:
5 hours ago, Xfactor said:

I still think aspro is the best of the juniors that we have brought through so far (until his leg fell off)

till the Heartle$$ NYL keeper Delianov kicked him so hard in the NYL grandfinal that his ACL got done. And Delianov is supposedly the best NYL keeper at u19 level in Australia.

Edited by Paul01
Correction

Just reading all the posts in here since mid December and it just highlights how the salary cap, in conjunction with the squad limits, is killing this league. Can’t bring in good players because we have no spots?!? Ridiculous.

The system needs an overhaul. Not sure what can be done - I don’t think scrapping it would be good - but perhaps something like only including the top 20 in the cap, allowing larger squads, and not counting 1 or 2 cut players. Then the players still get their money but the clubs have much more flexibility. You can cut a guy, or you could keep him as part of the top 20, but still sit him because you have a larger squad.

These are just intital ideas, but SOMETHING has to be done to encourage more quality into the league. Expansion won’t solve this, in fact it will make it worse as the same cast-offs will have two extra teams to go to. Gotta stop the merry-go-round and get better players into the league.

7 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Just reading all the posts in here since mid December and it just highlights how the salary cap, in conjunction with the squad limits, is killing this league. Can’t bring in good players because we have no spots?!? Ridiculous.

The system needs an overhaul. Not sure what can be done - I don’t think scrapping it would be good - but perhaps something like only including the top 20 in the cap, allowing larger squads, and not counting 1 or 2 cut players. Then the players still get their money but the clubs have much more flexibility. You can cut a guy, or you could keep him as part of the top 20, but still sit him because you have a larger squad.

These are just intital ideas, but SOMETHING has to be done to encourage more quality into the league. Expansion won’t solve this, in fact it will make it worse as the same cast-offs will have two extra teams to go to. Gotta stop the merry-go-round and get better players into the league.

Increase squad size to 30 and instead of a salary cap have a mandatory minimun salary.. Each Junior (5) is guaranteed $75K.....all one year contracts.,,,,$375K pa

Senior contract (25) is minimum of $125K....$3.125M pa

Min total spend is $3.5M pa

No need for marquees outside the cap...the club can then pay whatever they want over the minimum.

1 hour ago, sonar said:

Increase squad size to 30 and instead of a salary cap have a mandatory minimun salary.. Each Junior (5) is guaranteed $75K.....all one year contracts.,,,,$375K pa

Senior contract (25) is minimum of $125K....$3.125M pa

Min total spend is $3.5M pa

No need for marquees outside the cap...the club can then pay whatever they want over the minimum.

How about place a maximum allowance for rental not to be included in the salary cap as well as private health premiums as well as car allowance same as Europe.

Also no back ended contracts for any player, visa or Australian.

Make clubs have a visa defender, dm/cm and attacker first then others as they want so no one can stack the forward line with visa players.

5 (minimum) to 7 man bench with u21 players to be the 6th and 7th men.

1 hour ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Turner delivered the Klose story which wasn’t close to anything 

I don’t think he’s ever broken any news of note 

should stick to real estate 

I like Turner, he’s a good bloke. But he’s a mere mortal like most of us when it comes to footballing info. There’s only one poster who’s word I would take as gospel on this forum. Taurus shares his info sparingly but I can count his misfires on 1 hand.

10 minutes ago, Frankos187 said:

Yeboah back to the A-League apparently. Just not sure with who...

he is signing with us because i a few pages back mentioned him, like bulut signed for us purely because i mentioned him at one of the forums

.........my track record is worse than popa's

31 minutes ago, Frankos187 said:

Yeboah back to the A-League apparently. Just not sure with who...

He’s a strong Babbel fit, just not a wanderers fit.

Youngish, schooled in Germany, mouldable.

Riera apparently has foreign interests so babbel may to to convert him since Yeboah already moonlights there.

No for me. I’d say absolutely yes if Sotirio and Bridge left

1 hour ago, Upthehill said:

He’s a strong Babbel fit, just not a wanderers fit.

Youngish, schooled in Germany, mouldable.

Riera apparently has foreign interests so babbel may to to convert him since Yeboah already moonlights there.

No for me. I’d say absolutely yes if Sotirio and Bridge left

Could yeboah head to the Smurfs?

2 hours ago, Paul01 said:

Could yeboah head to the Smurfs?

Maybe, but they already have DDS and Trenty-B that can sit on the edges and drift in (from memory this was Yeboahs go-to).

Does anyone know if he’s entitled to the cap dispensation with Roar? They’d want him back if he is. They’ve been dire going forward and need to punch

7 hours ago, Upthehill said:

I like Turner, he’s a good bloke. But he’s a mere mortal like most of us when it comes to footballing info. There’s only one poster who’s word I would take as gospel on this forum. Taurus shares his info sparingly but I can count his misfires on 1 hand.

I merely present the info I'm given. 

Klose was a joke at the time.

Everyone is more than welcome to pass their own judgement.

The comments above are accurate. Duke has no intention to return to Australia. But hey, you are right. Take it with a grain of salt if you want.

Also, haven't been a real estate agent for a while. In the property game so GunnerWanderer is half right :)

9 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Turner delivered the Klose story which wasn’t close to anything 

I don’t think he’s ever broken any news of note 

should stick to real estate 

Think you might find that the Klose story was the biggest and funniest hoax/joke we've had!! It even made the nightly news.  Perhaps Turner sucked you in as well. 

Anyway, ATB (with Turner at the helm) is far more insightful than much of the opinion here.

2 minutes ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Think you might find that the Klose story was the biggest and funniest hoax/joke we've had!! It even made the nightly news.  Perhaps Turner sucked you in as well. 

Anyway, ATB (with Turner at the helm) is far more insightful than much of the opinion here.

Some context to that story, I was in media at the time. A reporter I was friends with asked for a rumour for the A-League signings, I texted back that Klose looked good for WSW. 

I was as surprised as most when I saw it run on Channel 7s sports broadcast that evening! I expected my friend to at least get double confirmation! 😂

Anyway, appreciate the kind words! And thank you for listening!

10 minutes ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Nah I called bs from day dot :-)

Maybe, but they already have DDS and Trenty-B that can sit on the edges and drift in (from memory this was Yeboahs go-to).

Does anyone know if he’s entitled to the cap dispensation with Roar? They’d want him back if he is. They’ve been dire going forward and need to punch

Cap exemptions outside the youth ones, end if the player leaves. Which is we aren't getting a cap exemption for Bridge.

If he was signed as an injury replacement,  he would be on Buhagiar's pay. He would have to be an outright signing.

• mack locked this topic