Squad Development 2018/19 Part 1

21 minutes ago, WanderingToqui said:

Who thinks Fornaroli could form a partnership with Oriol? 2 strikers on the field? Crazy thinking I know. :stonedtrifiro:

I think this would be lethal. Imagine him getting on the end of Riera's knock downs. Would require a change in formation though. 4-3-1-2, which renders half our squad (i.e. wingers) moot, so probably not gonna happen.

33 minutes ago, luisenrique said:

I think this would be lethal. Imagine him getting on the end of Riera's knock downs. Would require a change in formation though. 4-3-1-2, which renders half our squad (i.e. wingers) moot, so probably not gonna happen.

Considering how weak our midfield is, best to go 4-4-2 in that situation IMO.

Well Babbel seemed to like to play a 4-1-2-1-2 at his last club FC Luzern so maybe next season we could go to that formation with a change of players or even start in Jan with two gun strikers up front and a few transfers in Jan? I would not be against it as Roly and O'Doherty/Fitzgerald could drop behind ABJ on the wings so they sit a little deeper and baccus in DM with a box to box role which i think he could do with Ziggy & Hammer supporting behind him.. It will be interesting to see if Babbel makes any changes in Jan transfer window

Western Sydney Wanderers boss Markus Babbel ready to hit the marketplace in January

The Wanderers players know already that coach Markus Babbel doesn’t mince his words inside the dressing room or out. Now several might find that he backs those words up with actions.

Babbel has made clear the need to reinforce his squad in January once the transfer window opens in less than two weeks’ time.

Alarmed at the mentality of his squad as much as its collective ability, we hear Babbel wants to bring in at least four new players and has been exploring the possibility of a second marquee.

With five foreigners currently Babbel’s options are limited – unless Patrick Ziegler’s citizenship application is granted, freeing up a spot.

Intriguingly, Oriol Riera is believed to have an offer to return to Spain, though it remains to be seen if the club would be tempted to cash in.

Either way, a number of players have two games remaining to convince Babbel they should be part of his plans, with the German believed to be looking at strengthening his midfield in particular.

Four new players and a marquee. When we have no squad spots.

The only transfer rumours we've had are Riera back to Spain and Risdon to England, but that's still only 2 of the 5 spots he wants.

Who is going to take our other players? Why would players with contracts for next season or the year after leave? Is he going to tell Mark Bridge to "retire"?

Also lol at wanting to "strengthen the midfield" after he signed Mahazi. Anyone with a clue about football in Australia could have told him that Mahazi wouldn't strength anything.

9 minutes ago, mack said:

Four new players and a marquee. When we have no squad spots.

The only transfer rumours we've had are Riera back to Spain and Risdon to England, but that's still only 2 of the 5 spots he wants.

Who is going to take our other players? Why would players with contracts for next season or the year after leave? Is he going to tell Mark Bridge to "retire"?

Also lol at wanting to "strengthen the midfield" after he signed Mahazi. Anyone with a clue about football in Australia could have told him that Mahazi wouldn't strength anything.

Mahazi, Llorente, Fitz are the obvious three. Riera to be sold. There will be question marks over some of the youngsters I don’t doubt, too

Mahazi May opt to stay since his options may be basically non existent. But the other 2 will have plenty of suitors.

I can’t see Babbel having an issue finding squad space.

I was talking with Abraham Majok and he told me he is thinking of moving on because he wants game time. I feel Llorente will go and Riera will be sold. Risdon as well potentially. Keanu Baccus was rumoured to be transferred to City with a swap for Brattan. I don't think Fitzgerald will leave. A few youth boys such as Lachlan Scott and Tokich could be on the way out as well. Thats about all I think. 

This guy could be a marquee possibly as well! He hasn't had a club since July 1 this year and has played at Bayern Munich. Could have contacts with Babbel and that fitness coach. https://www.transfermarkt.com/serdar-tasci/profil/spieler/34593

Just found out Serdar Tasci used to play for him at Stuttgart!!! I feel like this is going to happen.

2 hours ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

I was talking with Abraham Majok and he told me he is thinking of moving on because he wants game time. I feel Llorente will go and Riera will be sold. Risdon as well potentially. Keanu Baccus was rumoured to be transferred to City with a swap for Brattan. I don't think Fitzgerald will leave. A few youth boys such as Lachlan Scott and Tokich could be on the way out as well. Thats about all I think. 

There’s been no swap offered for Baccus Jnr. There was a swap offer, it didn’t feature either of those two players.

I can’t see why Fitz would stay. He’s 5th choice right now behind Sotirio, Roly, Majok and Bruce. He’ll slide down to 6th once Bridge returns. 

Lachie Scott was told at the start of the season he was free to go. No offers came. Can’t see anyone going for him in Jan. He’ll like rot away in the NPL then get moved on at the end of the year

59 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

I can’t see why Fitz would stay. He’s 5th choice right now behind Sotirio, Roly, Majok and Bruce. He’ll slide down to 6th once Bridge returns. 

He got a 3 year contract that he's 6 months into. He might not feel like throwing away a quarter million dollar contract because the new boss isn't happy with the 'mentality' of the squad.

Apart from 2 foreigners if Riera & Llorente leave that I'd assume go into central defence and midfield, who are we going to sign that are Australian players to replace Risdon & Llorente? We'd be left with Hamill & Tarek and more kids as our only fullbacks.

We just need to hope the mariners are happy to welcome the likes of lloretne, sotorio, scott and mahazi into their squad otherwise the likelihood of bringing in 4 players is quite low 

It’s near impossible to find updated info on it but if they paying out of contracts is still inhibited for salay cap issues it needs to be immediately scrapped. 

38 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

We just need to hope the mariners are happy to welcome the likes of lloretne, sotorio, scott and mahazi into their squad otherwise the likelihood of bringing in 4 players is quite low 

It’s near impossible to find updated info on it but if they paying out of contracts is still inhibited for salay cap issues it needs to be immediately scrapped. 

There’s not a chance on gods green earth Sotirio will leave this Jan. Also he has a euro passport to he can disappear to whatever sh*thole he feels like. Llorente will have plenty of interest

7 hours ago, mack said:

He got a 3 year contract that he's 6 months into. He might not feel like throwing away a quarter million dollar contract because the new boss isn't happy with the 'mentality' of the squad.

Apart from 2 foreigners if Riera & Llorente leave that I'd assume go into central defence and midfield, who are we going to sign that are Australian players to replace Risdon & Llorente? We'd be left with Hamill & Tarek and more kids as our only fullbacks.

3 years! Thanks for that one Gumby

Who at the club let that happen?

"Yes lets lock in a bog standard A League journeyman winger / Melb City bench player with a 1 goal in 10 record on a three year deal"

"Why we are probably going to punt our manager and we already have the market in pacey but no end product wingers cornered"

"But if we don't maybe the Central Coast will, actually while I'm at it I'll get Bruce Kamau he plays pretty much the same position, and you can never have enough wingers can you?"

Jesus Wept our recruitment is a mess

Without knowing exactly how much we're paying him (and I guess it's around 65k to 75k a year which isn't that much), I don't think Fitz on a 3 year deal is that bad a recruitment choice as a squad player. You can't fill the entire squad with first team players, and Fitz is a known quantity as a player. Same thing with O'Doherty and his 3 year deal. O'Doherty and Fitz as 2 of our 5 sub options wouldn't be a massive problem. 

Nizic, Kamau & Elrich on 2 year deals were much dumber choices, Elrich because of his age, Kamau & Nizic because we should have been trying to push them and 2 year just makes players comfortable. Kamau & Elrich haven't done too badly though (Tarek when he's actually playing fullback of course). Nizic is a disaster, should offer him whatever it takes to get rid of him ASAP.

If the Mariners or Nix had wanted Scott they would have signed him in pre-season, but they went in other directions.

If none of the players contracted beyond this season leave we have a decent overall squad. The first 11 would have Tarek, Ziggy & Vedran in it 100%, leaving Babbel to fill 8 positions, with 3 new Australian players and 5 foreigners.

Jason Davidson in at left fullback, Spiranovic alongside Ziggy, Troisi on the wing, make Honda & Fornaroli our marquees, leaving 3 foreign spots for 1 winger and two central midfielders.

If Sydney FC and have the squad they put together in the last two years and Victory can have their squad currently, there's no reason why our squad could be:

(bold = new player)

1. Vedran
  2. Tarek
  3. Ziggy
  4. Spira
  5. Jason Davidson
  6. Foreign DM
  7. Foreign CM
  8. Foreign Winger
  9. Honda (Marquee)
  10. Fornaroli (Marquee)
  11. Troisi
  12. Nizic
  13. Tongyik
  14. Kamau
  15. O'Doherty
  16. Grozos
  17. Fitzy
  18. Baccus
  19. Tokich
  20. Free Spot 1 (squad requires minimum 20 players)
  21. Free Spot 2
  22. Free Spot 3
  23. Free Spot 4

Our U21 players could be used to fill the squad spots above (eg Tokich, Grozos and Baccus), or left on the U21 list. These could include:

1. Tass
  2. Suman
  3. Tate Russel
  4. Majok
  5. John Roberts
  • mack locked this topic