looking back at your favourite wanderers moments

On 27/11/2018 at 1:04 PM, Erebus said:

So.....Does anyone have any memories post beginning of November 2014?

Just goes to show that we've been mediocre for 4 years....

PS only exceptions are the 5-4 semi and SFC vincible season - 2 moments in 4 years....not good.

It's not as bad as you say, but yes, not much to write home about either

S3 was a write off apart from derby Bulut show

S4 the two Gosford away games, Wullington away, the FTV home against against VIC, Santa's equalizer in the Melbourne pyro party, the Roar semi, the home nail biters against City, Glory, Adelaide, Hektor standing on the roof in Adelaide

S5 Rd2 comeback in Adelaide, Rd 15 draw at Allianz with Snake in goal; beating the Smurfs at ANZ (could have been the high point of the season, and it turned into the low point courtesy of Arnie gate); the 4:1 Rd 9 win in Gosford I think was the last time that I truly enjoyed a WSW game, atmosphere, performance, result and all, and that's a long time ago... 

S6 Rd1 win

15 minutes ago, FCB said:

It's not as bad as you say, but yes, not much to write home about either

S3 was a write off apart from derby Bulut show

S4 the two Gosford away games, Wullington away, the FTV home against against VIC, Santa's equalizer in the Melbourne pyro party, the Roar semi, the home nail biters against City, Glory, Adelaide, Hektor standing on the roof in Adelaide

S5 Rd2 comeback in Adelaide, Rd 15 draw at Allianz with Snake in goal; beating the Smurfs at ANZ (could have been the high point of the season, and it turned into the low point courtesy of Arnie gate); the 4:1 Rd 9 win in Gosford I think was the last time that I truly enjoyed a WSW game, atmosphere, performance, result and all, and that's a long time ago... 

S6 Rd1 win

Being 2-0 up in derby at Allianz thanks to Reira and Hammil, all went downhill from Carney falling over in the box. Now much to cheer about after that 

I really miss going to eat street with the misses before each game, listening to the march go past. Sure it added $80 bucks to the costs but that didn't worry us, we just did it. Hopefully we get to do it from next season.

ACL in parra square was the best of all the ones mentioned before. I remember looking at some complete stranger after their dead set penalty shout was turned down, we just shook our heads and smiled. it was meant to be.

1 hour ago, leslie said:

I really miss going to eat street with the misses before each game, listening to the march go past. Sure it added $80 bucks to the costs but that didn't worry us, we just did it. Hopefully we get to do it from next season.

Couldn't agree more.

I used to Eat St with my son before every game as well. The same Thai restaurant every time. Cost a bit less than $80 (not much though), but it was the whole game day experience that made it worthwhile. I can't wait to do it again.

Otherwise, all my fav's have been mentioned, so no need to repeat them.

3 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Being 2-0 up in derby at Allianz thanks to Reira and Hammil, all went downhill from Carney falling over in the box. Now much to cheer about after that 

I was down by the corner flag for that one, every time he came down to the flag area I was giving  him a spray, cheating knob, diving tw*t, etc,  f*****g arsewipe just winked at me, f*****g winked at me, by Christ I wanted to grab him by the scruff that night.

1 hour ago, Wanderboy said:

Couldn't agree more.

I used to Eat St with my son before every game as well. The same Thai restaurant every time. Cost a bit less than $80 (not much though), but it was the whole game day experience that made it worthwhile. I can't wait to do it again.

Otherwise, all my fav's have been mentioned, so no need to repeat them.

Yeah..pre game in Parra was part of the game day routine...would usually get a burger or thai or something with the lad on eat street, cant wait to do that again.

3 hours ago, leslie said:

ACL in parra square was the best of all the ones mentioned before. I remember looking at some complete stranger after their dead set penalty shout was turned down, we just shook our heads and smiled. it was meant to be.

When the whistle went some guy jumped on my back....what a morning that was...lol

We were the main headline news across all networks that morning..and my old man in the UK got it on his news! The TV reporters were all over the place...what a surreal morning that was..

I remember getting home and i had that ringing thing in my ears from the noise and just couldnt settled down for ages..i was hyper lol My son wasnt at Parra square as too young then but he was waiting for me in his wanderers top.....

If i could go back to a point in my life that morning would be up there.

Edited by Smoggy
1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

the Adelaide grand final trip was ace, apart from the result 

WSF party bus!!!

The short stopover at Ararat was amazing though - I remember walking off the bus and the rain was going sideways. The bus was shaking slightly due to the wind. It was also 11pm, late at night.

As Ararat is on a plain, I could see the distant mountains and hills whenever the lightning lit up the sky, even if it was only briefly.

It was haunting, but also beautiful 

I've been resisting a visit here - partly because I thought it might make me feel sad, and partly because I thought it might take me all day to respond. :cheeky:

But here goes...in roughly chronological order...mainly from quite a way back...

The walk up O'Connell Street before the first game...high-fiving people waving their arms out of cars stopped at traffic lights.

That first ever game vs the mariners - the RBB in its infancy... the rain (and not caring we were in the rain)... being relieved that, as Popa had hoped, the team was "competitive".

The Adelaide 6-1 game, the "we want four...we want five...we want six''' chants around me in the Eastern Stand...and the looks on the faces of newbies near me at the WDWSF chants.

Dino's first ever goal....the delirium... and the relief.

The drive home after that night of Dino's first goal - and one of my sons saying to me, "So....that's what pure ecstacy feels like!" :lol:

Dino's second goal.

Every goal Shinji scored.

Every time Shinji bowed at the end of a game.  :grouphug:

Eating out in Parra  pre game - enjoying the excitement and anticipation...and the sound and energy of every march.

The African drummers post game after a Harmony Day round.

The first ever Victory game at AAMI - the win, the post game chants in the stadium long after the full time whistle, the walk back to the train station with a very drunk Victory supporter, who (despite his team getting beaten) couldn't help raving about our supporters as he staggered and stumbled along...and after that,... being thanked for coming down to the game by other Victory supporters at a set of traffic lights.

The early Gosford games...the upper stand vibrating scarily to the Posnan….the second big "These Colours" chant away from home (as I recall).

The chants in the tunnel at Newcastle...and especially....winning the Plate there. The "Campiones" chant...walking back to the train station with NTS's mum and aunty up from Canberra (who didn't introduce themselves until we were parting from them at the station). My husband getting on his knees in the railway tunnel, and kissing Nikolai's mum on the hand...in thanks for giving us her son! :lol::lol:

Meeting NTS's mum again at a restaurant before a Brisbane game, and walking to the stadium with her.

Meeting FCB and his wife for the first time at Suncorps that night.

All the ACL games - including the "white pitch" game.

After one of those ACL games, being told by a woman who lived in Dundas that she could clearly hear the cheers from Pirtek every time the Wanderers scored!

At the pub with many other supporters in Adelaide the night before the GF - and the chants there - especially Glorious - lolol - with many of those chanting  pointing in my direction, since I had been very vocal in my love of that chant - NOT! :lol:  I loved it at that moment though!  Meeting a number of - WSF members there - including Hoops and his brother (if you read this Hoops - say hello to your brother for me!)

Meeting Wanderboy again (met him for the first time the evening before)  strolling through the streets of Adelaide on the morning of the game.

Being outside the pub in Adelaide pre-game to listen to the chants within, and watch the antics of Hektik Hektor on the roof :grouphug: over the road.

Having Smoggy sneak up on me from behind :P...to offer condolences about the loss of that Adelaide GF "There's always next year!" he said...before vanishing into the crowd.

Away from the games - feeling kind of anxious, and then ...relieved.... at liking so many of my fellow WS Forumites whenever I've joined in gatherings at the BBC, and the West Concord Pub pre SOP games. There are too many of you to name - but you will all know who you are...if in fact you read this!  :grouphug:

And finally ...getting to know many other WSW supporters who I haven't yet met,  through these forums, and having interesting and engaging conversations on a hundred and one topics with them.

PS Didn't take that long to compose - the memories came flooding back. Hopefully, when we get back to Parra, there will be many more to add to the list of memorable moments. 

:):)

1 hour ago, Unlimited said:

rWSF party bus!!!

The short stopover at Ararat was amazing though - I remember walking off the bus and the rain was going sideways. The bus was shaking slightly due to the wind. It was also 11pm, late at night.

As Ararat is on a plain, I could see the distant mountains and hills whenever the lightning lit up the sky, even if it was only briefly.

It was haunting, but also beautiful 

Actually...reading posts from you guys undertaking that trip...and others who were travelling to Adelaide was fantastic - in building the anticipation.

Was it Stringer B who posted whilst trying to find somewhere to sleep in a park, or a kid's playground somewhere in Adelaide?? :D

It was brilliant reading posts from people travelling up to the Brisbane GF too - and Micki's posts are the ones I remember most.  An excited post every 15 minutes from what I recall. 

:lol:

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Actually...reading posts from you guys undertaking that trip...and others who were travelling to Adelaide was fantastic - in building the anticipation.

Was it Stringer B who posted whilst trying to find somewhere to sleep in a park, or a kid's playground somewhere in Adelaide?? :D

It was brilliant reading posts from people travelling up to the Brisbane GF too - and Micki's posts are the ones I remember most.  An excited post every 15 minutes from what I recall. :lol:

That was me, post bus ride to Adelaide got in at about 5 am or something horrible, tried to see if I could check in to hotel early to sleep no luck so dumped my bag off and, spent the early morning wandering around the park near the river looking for a quite spot to sleep. At one point I seriously contemplated climbing the fence of childcare centre to sleep in their Cubby House. In the end I slept on a park bench in the park for an hour or so. Before bumping into West13 somewhere along the way.

Met so many of the forum either on way to Adelaide or down there. There was a few forumites on that bus 

Edited by StringerBellend
1 minute ago, StringerBellend said:

That was me, post bus ride to Adelaide got in at about 5 am or something horrible, tried to see if I could check in to hotel early to sleep no luck so dumped my bag off and, spent the early morning wandering around the park near the river looking for a quite spot to sleep. At one point I seriously contemplated climbing the fence of childcare centre to sleep in their Cubby House. In the end I slept on a park bench in the park for an hour or so. Before bumping into West13 somewhere along the way.

Met so many of the forum either on way to Adelaide or down there. There was a few forumites on that bus 

Hahaha.. oh YES!

That's what I remembered - you were contemplating sleeping in a cubby house in a playground!

I felt really sorry for you...posting about your early morning homelessness! 

All worth it though, no doubt! :D

42 minutes ago, marron said:

I seem to remember I met Micki up in Brisbane but didn't know it was him till later.

You've probably met or briefly encountered others like that. We probably all have.

Without realising.

That's how Smoggy and I first "met"...but he didn't realise it until a bit later.

And I'd have never known except that he put 2 and 2 together....and cross referenced on the forums. 

12 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Hahaha.. oh YES!

That's what I remembered - you were contemplating sleeping in a cubby house in a playground!

I felt really sorry for you...posting about your early morning homelessness! 

All worth it though, no doubt! :D

id forgotten that it was raining too

Most has already been mentioned but I need to add one more. I was lucky enough to make the trip for our away ACL game against Urawa Reds.  We met at a pub with the other WSW fans (organised by our Jap/Oz friends) , we had food/drink and also managed a few chants including the ones for MV and ESFC. Train trip to the ground, the respect shown to us by the locals ...(forget the result) the after game song by UR fans and Jumpei's mum saying thanks for visiting. All in all one of the best experiences ever, it also made Japan a favorite place to visit.  

Two moments come to mind. 1. Juric’s goal in the acl final of course, but also because it was one of the few times I’ve actually watched a game in the RBB. 2. On a personal note, towards the end of our last game at Parra I decided to leave the family for 10 minuets and just take a walk around and soak up the vibe. I remember thinking to myself, “I’m gonna miss this place.”

1 minute ago, Liv said:

Two moments come to mind. 1. Juric’s goal in the acl final of course, but also because it was one of the few times I’ve actually watched a game in the RBB. 2. On a personal note, towards the end of our last game at Parra I decided to leave the family for 10 minuets and just take a walk around and soak up the vibe. I remember thinking to myself, “I’m gonna miss this place.”

:good:  None of us expected to have a great time for these three years out of Parra, I'm sure  - but none of us could have expected HOW BAD they were going to be. :(

I will always miss it, I don't care how good the new place is.

I will miss the view from the north terrace. Seeing the parra skyline and the trees of the park etc. That kind of thing situates a ground and makes it feel like it's got personality, like it's part of a wider thing. The design brief talked the talked as far as that stuff goes, but it's not going to have it, I don't think, for all the steepness and everything (which is awesome).

I'll miss the hill behind the north terrace outside the ground, from which you could see half the pitch if you got in the right spot.

I'll miss the footpaths behind the terraces at either end, again, that glimpse of the pitch when you are still not quite properly in the stadium  i.e., to the seats - but you can still feel like you are almost there. At the north end, the ridiculous garden path down to the bar, right next to the fence, and the bushes there that afforded naughty school children the chance for a furtive smoke without going out.

I'll miss the **** carpark and the dusty grass outside, and the trees - the scenes of anticipation before, celebration after, the riot squad moving through.

16 minutes ago, marron said:

I will always miss it, I don't care how good the new place is.

I will miss the view from the north terrace. Seeing the parra skyline and the trees of the park etc. That kind of thing situates a ground and makes it feel like it's got personality, like it's part of a wider thing. The design brief talked the talked as far as that stuff goes, but it's not going to have it, I don't think, for all the steepness and everything (which is awesome).

I'll miss the hill behind the north terrace outside the ground, from which you could see half the pitch if you got in the right spot.

I'll miss the footpaths behind the terraces at either end, again, that glimpse of the pitch when you are still not quite properly in the stadium  i.e., to the seats - but you can still feel like you are almost there. At the north end, the ridiculous garden path down to the bar, right next to the fence, and the bushes there that afforded naughty school children the chance for a furtive smoke without going out.

I'll miss the **** carpark and the dusty grass outside, and the trees - the scenes of anticipation before, celebration after, the riot squad moving through.

:(

:good::good::good: