Western Sydney Stadium Construction (New Parramatta Stadium)

mack

• 2 weeks later...

Can someone with a bit more knowledge of Stadium construction explain to me why the plans can't be approved while the demolition is happening, and then altered if something comes up that affects it?

"The timetable sees demolition taking place from now until June, piling and ground work for the new stadium from June until the end of the year, and then stage two begins, which will see design and construction planning applications before the council.

The plans will then go on public exhibition before stadium construction begins at the tail end of this year to be finished by 2019."

Can someone with a bit more knowledge of Stadium construction explain to me why the plans can't be approved while the demolition is happening, and then altered if something comes up that affects it?

"The timetable sees demolition taking place from now until June, piling and ground work for the new stadium from June until the end of the year, and then stage two begins, which will see design and construction planning applications before the council.

The plans will then go on public exhibition before stadium construction begins at the tail end of this year to be finished by 2019."

It's all just part of the planning and approvals process and this all takes time.

I'm guessing that because the govt is really pushing through quickly on this project that time frames will inevitably overlap.

They are determined to have it up and running before the next election as it could be a massive vote winner for them.

Just like the NorthWest Rail link and North Connex and parts of West Connex.

It's all just part of the planning and approvals process and this all takes time.

I'm guessing that because the govt is really pushing through quickly on this project that time frames will inevitably overlap.

They are determined to have it up and running before the next election as it could be a massive vote winner for them.

Just like the NorthWest Rail link and North Connex and parts of West Connex.

Definitely politicians trying to butter us up. Why else would the NSW Premier present the Wanderers Medal to Santa?

The process has to go through certain stages. From my understanding the footings and some basic work was Stage 1, which took a while to be approved. Then the next part is Stage 2, which is the core part of the stadium itself. They have to release a design, there's a public consultation period, etc. then eventually it gets approved.

I understand the process. I don't understand why stage 1 - demolition - has to be compete before stage 2 can be on public display.

Is it because at this stage the designers only have a broad idea of their plans, and need to adapt them to the lie of the land once they complete demolition? 

Otherwise why don't they just get approval for the plans now?

I understand the process. I don't understand why stage 1 - demolition - has to be compete before stage 2 can be on public display.

Is it because at this stage the designers only have a broad idea of their plans, and need to adapt them to the lie of the land once they complete demolition? 

Not sure to be honest.

not certain, but did the demolition start before the design was announced, maybe to get the ball rolling they started to demolish and continued with the rest. they would need to have full plans ready for the council before they start construction.

Walked passed today on my lunch time stroll. There was major demo work happening at the pools. Big orange beasts were tearing down the main structure and there were a few of them devouring their meals. Seems a bit eerie knowing that it's just a patch of dirt and rubble at the moment..

Walked passed today on my lunch time stroll. There was major demo work happening at the pools. Big orange beasts were tearing down the main structure and there were a few of them devouring their meals. Seems a bit eerie knowing that it's just a patch of dirt and rubble at the moment..

Build it and they will come..!

Not sure to be honest.

They would have to go through all the approval processes i.e. aboriginal, environmental and heritage, which could include a dig due history of Parra.

• 4 weeks later...

The pool is being demolished and that will take another month or two. Once that is done they will began preparations for the groundworks, plumbing, conduits etc, and then start on the foundations.

The next major piece of news is going to be a gaggle of politicians (Federal, State, Local), the FFA & club reps doing a "breaking ground" ceremony later this year.

Walked passed yesterday. Quite eerie really. Can see all the way from O'Connell Street through to the tree line of the river (behind the western grandstand). Not quite flat yet, but getting there. Big site office setup in the carpark between the stadium and the Leagues Club too. Starting to look like a construction site now, rather than a demolition site.

3 hours ago, mack said:

DA9gMF4UMAA241Q.thumb.jpg.5b7d62dce9855dbbe79157b5bf018104.jpg

Was doing some running in parra park yesterday and can't believe how huge this is going to be. The boundary is right onto the park where previously you never noticed the stadium from the park. Its going to be friggin huge. Almost out of place... :)

Edited by beatsurrender
37 minutes ago, beatsurrender said:

Was doing some running in parra park yesterday and can't believe how huge this is going to be. The boundary is right onto the park where previously you never noticed the stadium from the park. Its going to be friggin huge. Almost out of place... :)

shhhhhhhh, it is going the blend right in....won't notice it.......:ninja:

Don't go getting the friends of Parra park chunts all excited..lol

3 hours ago, WSWBoro said:

shhhhhhhh, it is going the blend right in....won't notice it.......:ninja:

Don't go getting the friends of Parra park chunts all excited..lol

Oh yeah, sorry.  Forgot to mention that I had to climb a really high tree, fight off the bats and use binoculars and then just caught a glimpse  (maybe) of what,  possibly, could be a construction site ;)

4 hours ago, beatsurrender said:

It's not actually that much different in terms of footprint. The huge differences come in because all the stands/roof are the same height wrapping all the way around. The new stadium actually going to be quite a bit further away from the park than the old one.

The other major difference is by removing the pool the new stadium "precinct" can push right up against O'Connell Street and that saves a great deal of room.

The picture below (with the old stadium outlined in black) shows a rough location comparison of where the old stadium was compared to the new stadium. The pool isn't shown but it would down in the bottom right corner just next to the road that you can just make out. The area for the stadium is shifted down and to the right compared with the old one. For some examples you can see that the new stadium has carparks that go right up to where the old stadium main & RBB stands were. The general public is going to be heavily pushed towards the O'Connell street corners of the stadium in terms of entrances & exits.

The 2nd picture (with the old stadium outline in blue) is a size comparison, with the two end bays (ie the RBB and family end) stands north & south, and the two grandstands east & west.

The new stadium in both pictures shows the lower bowl seating and some of the lower tier amenities and a general outline of the edges of the new stadium. The empty blank space is for higher tiers above but not shown on this view.

st1.thumb.jpg.8a215808980a9bdc3f27dc738886c536.jpg

st2.thumb.jpg.8629f8b1f23c5ca70042f2384dff2e7b.jpg

• mack locked this topic