Off Topic Thread 4

mack

Well, we DID have a massive catastrophe over summer, and in the main people were pretty good from what I saw/heard about. So... it's not all doom and gloom. When the chips were actually down it went okay.

What I was trying to get at with my post was that I think the reason these people are doing it is because they are thinking, if **** does go down, they are not going to get any official support from anywhere. That's how much confidence people have in our systems. Why? Because we just witnessed stuff like firies have to fill up their engines with their own cash and a government taking an age to admit there was even an issue, and then when they did they used outright, repeatedly discredited lies to explain what was going on. To me this is a bit of a barometer read.... if you can't trust that those supposedly in control can look after you and give you the right info, then, this is kind of the response. I don't think people are really thinking that through, but I think that's a subconscious part of the thinking. 

Having said that, I mean, the fact that people actually took that facebook joke, about the toilet paper coming from China being potentially contaminated and necessitating a special anus clean, seriously, well, yeah. That's a big tick in the "we're doomed" column.

7 minutes ago, marron said:

Well, we DID have a massive catastrophe over summer, and in the main people were pretty good from what I saw/heard about. So... it's not all doom and gloom. When the chips were actually down it went okay.

What I was trying to get at with my post was that I think the reason these people are doing it is because they are thinking, if **** does go down, they are not going to get any official support from anywhere. That's how much confidence people have in our systems. Why? Because we just witnessed stuff like firies have to fill up their engines with their own cash and a government taking an age to admit there was even an issue, and then when they did they used outright, repeatedly discredited lies to explain what was going on. To me this is a bit of a barometer read.... if you can't trust that those supposedly in control can look after you and give you the right info, then, this is kind of the response. I don't think people are really thinking that through, but I think that's a subconscious part of the thinking. 

Having said that, I mean, the fact that people actually took that facebook joke, about the toilet paper coming from China being potentially contaminated and necessitating a special anus clean, seriously, well, yeah. That's a big tick in the "we're doomed" column.

My point was that people actually fell for this, and that is what is creating the problems for those of us who are honest and sharing. It's the dumbest of society who could not see this and are creating this problem.

If everyone just shopped normally for their needs, this wouldn't be an issue. There is no reason why they shouldn't be. Yet, it is becoming one and the dumb arse panic buying is exacerbating the issue 

4 hours ago, marron said:

It's mental and it shows how far away from things going to **** we really are, but this is also evidence of how much faith people have that they'll be looked after in a time of emergency.

It's not a store's responsibility to ration stuff, is it?

If there wasn't a directive from some higher authority, would we expect them to? Would they?

Well... stores already do place a limit on the number of items which can be bought...in some circumstances.

Can't think of what, or when I last heard it, but I know I've seen limits....maybe on specials?

Can't see why it'd be a problem...under the circumstances.

Limit of 3 where I was this morning, and a co-worker came over and asked if the young manager thought it should be limited to 2, which he declined to do.

I'm sure they could do whatever they like.

3 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Well... stores already do place a limit on the number of items which can be bought...in some circumstances.

Can't think of what, or when I last heard it, but I know I've seen limits....maybe on specials?

Can't see why it'd be a problem...under the circumstances.

Limit of 3 where I was this morning, and a co-worker came over and asked if the young manager thought it should be limited to 2, which he declined to do.

I'm sure they could do whatever they like.

When there are packs of 18 or 24, there should be a limit of1.

If anyone needs more than that, they can buy another pack next week. They don't need a limit of 4 packs of 24 ffs. Who needs to buy 96 rolls of TP in 1 go?

11 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Never been to India then? :shok:

Honestly thought I would never get more than 4 steps away from the bog again...

......had the same experience in Malaysia...for 2 days.......until one of the locals gave me a homemade remedy that tasted and smelled foul but worked.

On 06/03/2020 at 1:15 AM, MathyouWSW said:

WHO DO WE EAT FOR?!
WE EAT FOR WANDERERS!

That was one hell of a bump :rofl:

That post is nearly three years old. I still have toaster but haven't used it in ages. As I recall, it was part of a line of unreleased merchandise that also included beer steins, beanies and coffee mugs :P 

I still hold the title of the only forumite to own both a WSF scarf and toaster. I'm special :crazy:

7 hours ago, CaptainJess said:

That was one hell of a bump :rofl:

That post is nearly three years old. I still have toaster but haven't used it in ages. As I recall, it was part of a line of unreleased merchandise that also included beer steins, beanies and coffee mugs :P 

I still hold the title of the only forumite to own both a WSF scarf and toaster. I'm special :crazy:

You'll have to excuse me, I posted it at 1am while a few drinks were in me.

Can't remember where I've been dumping these. Apologies to you all for the repetitive nature of it all haha.

Today I took the day off and went up to Mt Vic. My plan was to have a poke around Asgard Swamp on my bike because the website said it was open, but it wasn't. Still a good solid ride to the lookout at Mt Vic Falls but a bit annoying.

So headed back home and then thought, oh well, might as well have a look around behind the hermits hut, i'd read about some more points of interest over that side.

So some bush bashing later (the ashy trees drew all over me, looks like someone came at me with piece of charcoal :lol:) came across these views:

20200310-120242.jpg

(that's looking towards leura/wentworth falls, if you know it, this spot was north of Pulpit Rock which is still closed)

20200310-120312.jpg

20200310-120318.jpg

And found this out there too:

20200310-120924.jpg

4 hours ago, marron said:

a lick of paint will sort it out.

plus some oil for the gatling gun in the front. :lol:

Dude, was the Jemby Rinjah eco lodge on Evans Lookout Rd wiped out by the recent fires? 

Rd 

6 hours ago, marron said:

Can't remember where I've been dumping these. Apologies to you all for the repetitive nature of it all haha.

Today I took the day off and went up to Mt Vic. My plan was to have a poke around Asgard Swamp on my bike because the website said it was open, but it wasn't. Still a good solid ride to the lookout at Mt Vic Falls but a bit annoying.

So headed back home and then thought, oh well, might as well have a look around behind the hermits hut, i'd read about some more points of interest over that side.

So some bush bashing later (the ashy trees drew all over me, looks like someone came at me with piece of charcoal :lol:) came across these views:

20200310-120242.jpg

(that's looking towards leura/wentworth falls, if you know it, this spot was north of Pulpit Rock which is still closed)

20200310-120312.jpg

20200310-120318.jpg

And found this out there too:

20200310-120924.jpg

Sad and depressing to  see all those dead, bare patches.

:(:(

Yep, all the green patches - that was the whole thing before.

It's hard to be coming at it from all these angles knowing it's going to be a year or so before I can get down. Still, signs of regeneration.

54 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

Dude, was the Jemby Rinjah eco lodge on Evans Lookout Rd wiped out by the recent fires? 

Rd 

This was it on New Years mate:

Screenshot-2020-01-01-07-11-20.png

Only place to go.

I went down for a look several weeks back, the main building (i think, I've never been in there) was okay, but one or two of their cabins/accomodation blocks were gone, just a hunk of twisted metal. Apparently they had all the firewood stacked up against the cabins for the convenience of guests which made it difficult, and then the gas bottles would go. That's the view from my place, above, it went all afternoon, they had about 5 choppers and the water bomber going.

The employers have paid staff wages for a couple of months, it's owned by multiple people I think, I'm not sure they are going to go again with it though.

1 minute ago, marron said:

Yep, all the green patches - that was the whole thing before.

It's hard to be coming at it from all these angles knowing it's going to be a year or so before I can get down. Still, signs of regeneration.

This was it on New Years mate:

Screenshot-2020-01-01-07-11-20.png

Only place to go.

I went down for a look several weeks back, the main building (i think, I've never been in there) was okay, but one or two of their cabins/accomodation blocks were gone, just a hunk of twisted metal. Apparently they had all the firewood stacked up against the cabins for the convenience of guests which made it difficult, and then the gas bottles would go. That's the view from my place, above, it went all afternoon, they had about 5 choppers and the water bomber going.

The employers have paid staff wages for a couple of months, it's owned by multiple people I think, I'm not sure they are going to go again with it though.

:(

We went there in July ‘09 when the Mrs was pregnant with J Jnr, he was born 2 weeks later.  We were up the Mountains on Saturday n talking about staying at the Lodge the day after his 11th birthday . Sad to hear , great place to unwind .

so apparently the government is giving me $700 and the money is actually going to me this time, i am thinking of spending it on some very important things, sadly kayne wests $150 white t shirt has sold out, sadly i cant buy gamer girl's bath water anymore

i just want something helpful and productive like a $700 shirt or something

1 hour ago, GlobalWarning said:

so apparently the government is giving me $700 and the money is actually going to me this time, i am thinking of spending it on some very important things, sadly kayne wests $150 white t shirt has sold out, sadly i cant buy gamer girl's bath water anymore

As a goodwill gesture, I am prepared to sell you any one of my shirts for $700

They're calling it the.......Coronavirus Relief Assistance Package .....or the C.R.A.P.  for short.    :P

Edited by sonar

Just send your $ to JackDoff.com

ive got videos n stuff.....

:ninja:

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic