Australian Current Affairs Thread (not a Politics Thread) lol

10 hours ago, sonar said:

lol.........Perhaps they should get rid of childcare rebates.....family tax benefits part A and B.......pensioner cards....medicare .....all forms of welfare......first home owners schemes....solar panel rebates..........unemployment payments.....gone.....oh and all business welfare and subsidies as well.....lol ......

............ and just let market forces rip......lol

Yeah!

We'd hardly have to pay anything for taxes under these conditions!

:rolleyes:

Last year, for several month, there was a Christian guy standing outside of Town Hall, microphone, loudspeaker, soap box and all. He was telling the story of a tsunami scheduled to destroy sydney in September 2018.

The good news was that everyone could sign up to God, Jesus & Holy Spirit Ltd, and be saved in some capacity. In other words, it was a scare campaign.

September came and went, the tsunami appeared to have been cancelled, and the only thing that disappeared was the bible basher with the microphone. 

For weeks I was tempted walking up to him, and tell him something about him trying to frighten people. But there is this free speech thing, religious freedom concept, and respecting fellow beings, and so I left it.

But as we are all great on free speech these days: is it okay for atheists and agnostics to point out to religious people that they belief in fairy tales? That they've been conned, and that guys like Folau are away with the fairies? 

Is is free speech to remind religious people that all this talk of who or what is sub human, not worthy, and destined to going to hell, is highly offensive, and an insult to other people's intelligence? The people who don't believe in father xmas, and the brother grimm's research projects? 

Free speech comes with consequences. Say what you like. But think about the consequences. That's all.

You might say, that's not really free speech then, is it, if something stops you from speaking. But if real freedom of speech meant there not being any consequences from what you said, then what would be the point? it wouldn't really be free speech anyway. You would be silenced in the sea of voices, all saying what they like, but all saying nothing, because there would be no consequences of anything they said.

2 minutes ago, marron said:

Free speech comes with consequences. Say what you like. But think about the consequences. That's all.

You might say, that's not really free speech then, is it, if something stops you from speaking. But if real freedom of speech meant there not being any consequences from what you said, then what would be the point? it wouldn't really be free speech anyway. You would be silenced in the sea of voices, all saying what they like, but all saying nothing, because there would be no consequences of anything they said.

Yep. 

17 minutes ago, marron said:

Agree. If you yell "I have a bomb!" at an airport as a joke - sure, free speech whatever, but be prepared to be tackled by about 50 security guards

The free speech debate revolves primarily around the role of government regulating speech.

Is Rugby Australia the Australian Government Marron?

If Rugby Australia wants to let go Israel Folau for his comment on twitter they are more than welcome.

Whether they should is another question. 

For example I wouldn’t fire Folau, just like I wouldn’t fire a worker because they are constantly on twitter taking a pro gay political stance.

6 hours ago, Legionista said:

The free speech debate revolves primarily around the role of government regulating speech.

If Rugby Australia wants to let go Israel Folau for his comment on twitter they are more than welcome.

For example I wouldn’t fire Folau, just like I wouldn’t fire a worker because they are constantly on twitter taking a pro gay political stance.

I agree Rugby Australia has a prerogative to fire their player.  Because he is under contract. Entering a contract is voluntary. Folau knew. He knew. 

If Folau was not under contract that forbids what he did then freedom of speech principles would apply. 

I don’t understand how it’s become a freedom of speech issue. It’s a contractual issue. 

4 minutes ago, Cynth said:

I agree Rugby Australia has a prerogative to fire their player.  Because he is under contract. Entering a contract is voluntary. Folau knew. He knew. 

If Folau was not under contract that forbids what he did then freedom of speech principles would apply. 

I don’t understand how it’s become a freedom of speech issue. It’s a contractual issue. 

pretty much this, anyone breaches their contract they get fired, same for him, now he is contract free he is allowed to spout the same crap that got him fired

9 hours ago, Legionista said:

It's really great of you that you are in support of someone who publicly supports those who have been hounded, humiliated, shamed and killed for who they are, for hundreds of year - all in the name of religion. You are full of surprises.

Of course you would not fire Folau. You would not have to do that. The HR department would do that. Not because they are politically correct, or because of some free speech dadida, but because they are paid to be culturally and socially sensitive.

Mind you, one has to wonder about the purpose of HR departments if an Eddie McGuire can compare a fellow citizen with an ape. Free speech anyone?

40 minutes ago, FCB said:

It's really great of you that you are in support of someone who publicly supports those who have been hounded, humiliated, shamed and killed for who they are, for hundreds of year - all in the name of religion. You are full of surprises.

Of course you would not fire Folau. You would not have to do that. The HR department would do that. Not because they are politically correct, or because of some free speech dadida, but because they are paid to be culturally and socially sensitive.

Mind you, one has to wonder about the purpose of HR departments if an Eddie McGuire can compare a fellow citizen with an ape. Free speech anyone?

eddie is one of those few people who could dress up as hitler, do the nazi salute and then murder a few immigrants on national television and not even get a slap on the wrist

not to downplay how he said gays are going to hell i know that is the focus but he mentioned a number of groups but gay people are the people who are the most attacked out of all those groups

That’s the thing that bugs me about this. AFL/NRL/Union players are regularly getting caught doing drugs, drink driving, bashing their wives and girlfriends (sometimes the same player bashing their wife and their girlfriend) and they go through some league mandated education program so they can become a redemption story. This guy makes some offensive social media posts (the homophobic type, not the leaking sex tapes or partners nudes like the previously mentioned players) and its career over.

10 hours ago, Davo said:

That’s the thing that bugs me about this. AFL/NRL/Union players are regularly getting caught doing drugs, drink driving, bashing their wives and girlfriends (sometimes the same player bashing their wife and their girlfriend) and they go through some league mandated education program so they can become a redemption story. This guy makes some offensive social media posts (the homophobic type, not the leaking sex tapes or partners nudes like the previously mentioned players) and its career over.

Yeah because the first thing is just good old strayan larrikinism 

15 hours ago, Davo said:

i think the Rugby union fellas have a little less tolerance for meathead bullshit.

cancel culture is ****en cancer.

those who enjoy that type of thing, destroying people lives because you didn't like their opinion. I hope it never happens to you when it's goes the other way around.

he broke his contract he deserved to be sacked. I have no empathy for him but people now targeting his wife. scum.

17 minutes ago, thefairy said:

you hurt my feelings. therefore I am going to destroy your career. Not only that but I will destroy your wife's career and anyone who defends you.

ok. lol.

it was part of his contract, you break your contract you face the consequences, now he is free of his contract he can spout whatever bullshit he wants to no one is preventing him from his religious nutcase posts now, i dont know about people targeting his wife tbh but people shouldnt do that

1 minute ago, Neverbloom said:

it was part of his contract, you break your contract you face the consequences, now he is free of his contract he can spout whatever bullshit he wants to no one is preventing him from his religious nutcase posts now, i dont know about people targeting his wife tbh but people shouldnt do that

yes i totally agree. lol.

but double standards tho. you know about this well.

On twitter/youtube/twitch. You break the TOS you get banned from their platform but there are bias.

1 minute ago, thefairy said:

yes i totally agree. lol.

but double standards tho. you know about this well.

On twitter/youtube/twitch. You break the TOS you get banned from their platform but there are bias.

i didnt read your last post that is why i kinda just repeated the same thing you just said :P i do agree i have issues with the double standards, there are some groups who can get away with it more than others and i dont agree with that

This is what happens when religion colors legislation, policing, and jurisdiction.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/27/alabama-pregnant-woman-shot-manslaughter-charge-marshae-jones

What's next? Stoning her to death? Dusting off the stakes that have been dormant since the witch hunts and burning officially ended?

12 minutes ago, FCB said:

This is what happens when religion colors legislation, policing, and jurisdiction.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2019/jun/27/alabama-pregnant-woman-shot-manslaughter-charge-marshae-jones

What's next? Stoning her to death? Dusting off the stakes that have been dormant since the witch hunts and burning officially ended?

Yeah I posted this in the International thread. Not going to visit Alabama any time soon. Pure madness! 

1 hour ago, FCB said:

its sad that pretty much every religion is so backwards when it comes to homosexuality, women's rights and a number of other topics but that story specifically is insane

i really want steak

What a bunch on entitle p**** and liars the Taylor's (Angus Taylor MP for Goulburn, Federal Minister) and his sister-in-law (NSW State Minister for mental health) are?

MP Bronwyn Taylor lobbied state government over alleged illegal land clearing on property she owns https://www.theguardian.com/australia-news/2019/jun/28/mp-bronwyn-taylor-lobbied-state-government-over-alleged-illegal-land-clearing-on-property-she-owns?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Copy_to_clipboard

Congrats to Kerry O'Brien for getting some sort of Life time Achievement Award tonight on the Logies, but more specifically, congrats to him on his acceptance speech -highlighting the two issues on which Australia cannot stand straight and proud - climate change, and our failure to achieve reconciliation with our First Nations people.

Great speech - from an Aussie legend.  :hi:

No - I'm not watching the Logies...but it's on 2 rooms away from where I am....and I did go and watch his speech.

9 minutes ago, wendybr said:

Congrats to Kerry O'Brien for getting some sort of Life time Achievement Award tonight on the Logies, but more specifically, congrats to him on his acceptance speech -highlighting the two issues on which Australia cannot stand straight and proud - climate change, and our failure to achieve reconciliation with our First Nations people.

Great speech - from an Aussie legend.  :hi:

No - I'm not watching the Logies...but it's on 2 rooms away from where I am....and I did go and watch his speech.

dont lie to us we all know you are obsessed with the logies and when that is over you'll switch to the E channel to watch keeping up with the kardashians

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic