The Madaschi Cup

Okay, after 7 seasons and leading into our 8th perhaps it's time to consider who has been our least successful player (yeah, I know...all those who don the red & black are golden). I've put together the following list and am thinking of running a World Cup finals style tourney to judge who deserves the Madaschi Cup.

Matt Sim
Jack Clisby
Nick Fitzgerald
Jausua Sotirio
Kerem Bulut
Rashid Mahazi
Martin Lo
Ruon Tongyik
Steve Kuzmanovski
Josh Risdon
Kwabena Appiah
Lachlan Scott
Jerrad Tyson
Vitor Saba
Andrew Redmayne
Mario Shabow
Josh McDonald
Daniel Alessi
Chris Herd
Reece Caira
John Hall
Jacob Pepper
Antony Golec
Marcelo Carrusca
Jumpei Kusukami
Marc Tokich
Daniel Mullen
Aritz Borda
Liam Youlley
Federico Piovaccari
Ryan Griffiths
Bruno Pinatares
Sam Gallaway
Nick Ward
Nick Kalmar
Seyi Adeleke

Now if you want to ask why Madaschi isn't in the list, like Carlos Saliadarre he never got a run in the red & black in a competitive game so he deserves some kind of special commendation.

Have a look at the list & if there is anyone you feel strongly deserves removal or (from your own memories) addition post here. I'll then work up the comp from there.

Your a harsh man Manfred

So here's my lunchtime analysis

Omissions

I'd have Nizic over Tyson every time

Tyson mostly did ok when he came in (Central Coast sending off aside)

You could also put Bozanic in he was crap for us too

Here's my you are being harsh as they might not be the best players, but they Actually did ok for us list...

Jack Clisby - couldn't fault his effort and he at least could defend - I'd put the Llorente in the list over him every time, Llorente a left back that couldn't defend
Rashid Mahazi - he is what he is
Jacob Pepper - see Mahazi
Antony Golec - ACL Golec did fine, after the ACL less so
Marcelo Carrusca - Gumby brought him at the end of his career we looked better with him than without (not hard though)

Jerrad Tyson (see above)

Daniel Mullen (see Golec)

Nick Kalmar (Much to my suprise he was actually quite good for us, scored a great free kick)

Now for the kids, which not all of them will make it so that fine too list

Martin Lo
Steve Kuzmanovski
Lachlan Scott
Mario Shabow
Josh McDonald
Daniel Alessi
Reece Caira
Liam Youlley

Detailed Analysis

Matt Sim - poor sod didn't his leg fall off or something?

Nick Fitzgerald - there is a mad women on facebook that insists if we played him he'd be the next Roanaldo - he's nailed on to score against us isn't he
Jausua Sotirio - to be fair he at least looked like he gave a stuff, but the post goal Instagram was ill advised
Kerem Bulut - we talking Bulutt Mk 1 or Mk 2? Mk 1 was ace, Mk 2 less so
Ruon Tongyik - I blame Gumby for that one
Josh Risdon - Disappointing is the word, was good for Perth and Socceroos, odd good game for us 
Kwabena Appiah - wasn't he our ACL player of the season or something 
Vitor Saba - we all wanted it to work, but our Brazilian Barista with questionable music taste never really did "work", looked good on YouTube though
Andrew Redmayne - It's all his fault, every goal conceded, the GFC, Bobby from Home and Away dying, Climate Change... the guy who sat in front of me blamed him for the lot
Chris Herd - looked good for about 30 mins
Jumpei Kusukami - the Japanese Sotirio, apart from a nutty in the first derby he was terrible
Aritz Borda - he might even beat Adeleke he did more damage
Federico Piovaccari - $ for $ the worst signing we have ever made
Ryan Griffiths - Judge him on the field
Bruno Pinatares - didn't even look that good on YouTube, but he nearly punched Cahil which earns him some points
Sam Gallaway - I honestly can't remember him doing anything
Nick Ward - see Matt Sim, actually maybe have them confused Ward's leg fell off what happened to Sim
Nick Kalmar - I quite dig him
Seyi Adeleke  - The turn against Wellington in his first game was special, and his failure to kick Ibini over in the derby confirms it

Tyson? :drats::shockedtrifiro::smurfpoint:

I think the winner would have to be someone who combined longevity with ineptitude. One game wonders don't count. So they need a high level of failure and a decent amount of time showing their failure.

Borda wins this by a mile.

First game we lose 4-0 and he gets sent off late. He misses one game then comes back and we go 6 games without a win, beat the Mariners (not hard) then go another 5 games without winning, his last game in the A-League was getting sent off after 30 minutes. Plays ACL because why not and we get annihilated in the first two games 9:1 aggregate.

2nd place is Jumpei. Utterly rubbish for 1 and a half seasons and we knew he was going to be rubbish from the moment he arrived. Rubbish in the A-league, rubbish in the Champions League, and missed the penalty that lost us the knockout against the Roar, a game where even Cornthwaite & Hamill both scored theirs.

Herd comes in 3rd for a variety of reasons on and off the pitch.

Adeleke gets a special "how the hell did the Wanderers get scammed by his agent" award, The fact that his next team was an amateur Church side playing in what I think was the 6th tier of Italian football because he moved there to live with his cousin says it all.

Nick Ward probably thinks that ACL injury was worth it, he got a massive insurance payout and used it to open a cafe, which is still around in Melbourne although I don't know if he's still the owner.

Griffiths gets the "Why did you even open your mouth" award. He was never going to make an impact. We knew it. I'm sure he knew it. So why say it?

Re Nizic

As he is still on our books I've left him out of the list.

I'll admit that I have been selective, harsh etc...some could argue that a few of the kids weren't given enough time on field to show their worth. Likes of Carrusca and Griffiths were signed as dud seasons unravelled. Tyson kept clean sheets for the first few games he kept for us but he went south in his second go round. Lovely bloke, fan fave but was he any better than Snakes or Redmayne?

Now, to the groups & voting:

Group A vote link

https://linkto.run/p/PFJLA5K7

• Poll will open at midnight tonight
  • Select your two least successful WSW players from the four players listed and submit your votes
  • Poll will close at midnight, Monday 22/9/19
  • The two players who have the most votes will go into the round of 16.
  • Consult the past players database & threads for more info on each players
  • Feel free to add your comments as to who you voted for an why here.
  • Group B will be posted tomorrow.
Edited by ManfredSchaefer

The Martin Scorsese Goodfellas plaque - Jerrad Tyson. Lovely bloke, you’d hate a puppy before him. Always adored despite hardly playing.

The Elton John I’m still standing golden piano - Jaushua Sotirio. Years of mediocrity, somehow managed to hang around and play regular first team football.

The Netflix Stranger Things trophy - Jacob Peper. Not sure how he became a footballer. Looked like he should’ve been chasing barrels and punching cones at a local surf shack.

The Reece plumbing Shithouse medallion - Fedarico Piovacari. Everything about him was shithouse. Built like one, played like one and had an attitude found in one.

The Auburn McDonalds people’s champion award - Kerem Bulut. If Western Sydney had a child it would’ve looked and behaved like him. We all considered ourselves to have some Bulut in us at one point or another.

The Connor McGregor Who the fook is that guy? Award - Reece Caira. Sorry, who?

Channel V One hit wonder plaque - Antony Golec. That cross to Tomi Juric in the ACL final. That was his life purpose and he served it. Would probably fail to complete a to-do list let alone a pass since that moment.

The Disney Frozen Award - Vitor Saba. For not letting it go when axed by the club. Regularly seen lurking around WSW/RBB social media pages like a desperate ex girlfriend.

Crime Stoppers Cup - Seyi Adeleki. This bloke was stealing a living as a footballer. Did anyone actually witness him play professional football prior to signing?

The RMS community shield - Seyi Adeleki. Some say he’s still rotating, regularly spotted loitering near roundabouts. 

The I peaked early trophy - Daniel Alessi. Debuted in a Sydney derby and to this day still has Del Piero in his pocket. Went downhill from there unfortunately.

My mum says I’m the best player in the team award - Kuzi/Appiah. These two thought they were stars but played like AAM10’s battlers.

Unpopular opinion award - Nick Kalmar. I thought he was great for us whenever he played. He made a valuable impact in the midfield and was very talented imo. Special mention to Jack Clisby here also.

Harold Holt medal - Martin Lo. I remember how much this kid got talked up, it was as if he was the next Messi. I think he was spotted a handful of times if that.

3 hours ago, ManfredSchaefer said:

Re Nizic

As he is still on our books I've left him out of the list.

I'll admit that I have been selective, harsh etc...some could argue that a few of the kids weren't given enough time on field to show their worth. Likes of Carrusca and Griffiths were signed as dud seasons unravelled. Tyson kept clean sheets for the first few games he kept for us but he went south in his second go round. Lovely bloke, fan fave but was he any better than Snakes or Redmayne?

Now, to the groups & voting:

Group A vote link

https://linkto.run/p/PFJLA5K7

• Poll will open at midnight tonight
  • Select your two least successful WSW players from the four players listed and submit your votes
  • Poll will close at midnight, Monday 22/9/19
  • The two players who have the most votes will go into the round of 16.
  • Consult the past players database & threads for more info on each players
  • Feel free to add your comments as to who you voted for an why here.
  • Group B will be posted tomorrow.

Monday is 23/9/19

5 hours ago, mack said:

Kalmar and Carrusca basically did the same thing, come in to a woeful team for the second half of the season to give a modicum of midfield creativity.

Nick Kilmar was our midfield creativity and improved the side, let that sink in 

So far Kuzmanovski & Tongyik are the early leaders in Group A.

Group B poll link is here & voting starts at midnight:

https://linkto.run/p/72ARX0US

The four candidates are:

• Daniel Mullen
  • Liam Youlley
  • Chris Herd
  • Josh Risdon

For my money I reckon Herd & Risdon should go through. Whilst Mullen had his faults he was never supposed to be as vital to our team set up as the last two candidates. Herd especially deserves censure in terms of how he basically self-immolated his career & team unity.

Group C voting starts tonight midnight at https://linkto.run/p/ET0YLZBV

Candidates are:

• Jumpei Kusukami
  • Nick Ward
  • Seyi Adeleke
  • Jack Clisby

Of course Adeleke will be a big fave to get through however would not be surprised to see some votes for Clisby. 

Group B is open but not enough meaningful votes in as yet. Group A has Tongyik out in front with Kusmanovski & Pepper neck & neck for second place.

Group A is a two man race with Tongyik & Pepper both on 7 votes. Kuzmanovaki is not out of it on 5, whilst Carrusca is still to garner a vote.

Group B is all Chris Herd with 9 votes, then way back is Liam Youlley on 2 & Mullen & Rison 1 apiece. Must admit I'm surprised the last two aren't polling stronger.

Group D kicks off at midnight tonight & can be found here:

https://linkto.run/p/SQ4D5PI8

The candidates are:

• Ryan Griffiths
  • Sam Gallaway
  • Reece Caira
  • Nikita Rukavytsa

Would suggest that NR would be a front runner thanks to the big dollars we forked our for (I think) only 2 goals back in 2014/15. Griffths must get 2nd as I suspect almost no one can remember how innocuous Gallaway nor Caira were.

As for the other groups:

• Group A: Kuzmanovski with 8 votes is just in front of Pepper & Tongyik on 7
  • Group B: Herd way out in front (9 votes) with Pepper & Youlley on 3 each
  • Group C: Adeleke (6) votes followed by Jumpei & Ward on 1 each.

If at the end of the group stage there is a tie for votes the player with the most appearances in red & black will get the higher ranking (thus demonstrating they had a longer run as being crap at WSW).

Group E & F will go live tonight at midnight

Group E includes

• Mario Shabow
  • Rashid Mahazi
  • Jaushua Sotirio
  • Nick Fitzgerald

Votes can be lodged here:

https://linkto.run/p/2S2MZ3EN

I know that Jaush scored a few goals and got plenty of game time, however can anyone seriously explain how he deserved the leeway he got the likes of Popa & Gombau? Did he have photos of Lederer adulterating a consignment of Hungarian salami?

Mahazi & Fitzgerald were definitely two walking voids in our squad last season...

Group F:

• Bruno Pinatares
  • Vitor Saba
  • Daniel Alessi
  • Aritz Borda

Voting can be lodged here: https://linkto.run/p/JYT0L8LU

This would have to be the 'group of death', with Pinatares, Saba & Borda all very capable of making the quarters of the Madaschi Cup. Even Alessi could surprise, considering he went from monstering ADP to running around (according to Wikipedia) in Serie D.

On 18/09/2019 at 10:53 PM, ManfredSchaefer said:

Group A is a two man race with Tongyik & Pepper both on 7 votes. Kuzmanovaki is not out of it on 5, whilst Carrusca is still to garner a vote.

Group B is all Chris Herd with 9 votes, then way back is Liam Youlley on 2 & Mullen & Rison 1 apiece. Must admit I'm surprised the last two aren't polling stronger.

Mullen played a bit of ACL iirc but Herd had issues all season he was with us 

Im surprised Caira and Griffiths are polling so high. Ruka was a terrible signing for the amount we paid. 

16 minutes ago, Unlimited said:

Mullen played a bit of ACL iirc but Herd had issues all season he was with us 

Im surprised Caira and Griffiths are polling so high. Ruka was a terrible signing for the amount we paid. 

Agree. 

Caira was promising youth talent that was serviceable. 

Griffiths, well we didn't expect much. 

Ruka was decent, we may have paid a bit much for him but he seemed to give a stuff most of the time. 

Same can't be said for Herd. Came to us before he should have been too old and wasn't far off representing Australia... and did nothing. 

Current results as of today with those players looking to go into the round of 16 play-offs in bold:

Group A:

• Pepper (7)
  • Carrusca (0)
  • Kuzmanovski (9)
  • Tongyik (8)

Group B:

• Mullen (1)
  • Youlley: (4)
  • Herd: (12)
  • Risdon (4)

Group C:

• Kusukami (4)
  • Ward (1)
  • Adeleke (13)
  • Clisby (0)

Group D:

• Griffiths (5)
  • Gallaway (2)
  • Caira (3)
  • Rukavytsa (5)

Group E: 

• Shabow (0)
  • Mahazi (1)
  • Sotirio (2)
  • Fitzgerald (0)

Group F:

• Pinatares (1)
  • Saba (0)
  • Alessi (0)
  • Borda (2)

I'll post Groups G & H later today for kick off starting midnight tonight.

Interesting to see how many have voted for (or should that be against) Chris Herd. Group A is a tight race whilst Group D had plenty of time to sort out a clear leader. Perhaps considering the lack of votes and the time that has passed since the poll opened the least likely candidate for the Madascki Cup has been Carrusca.

Groups G & H go live tonight at midnight:

Group G:

https://linkto.run/p/BDSP2RTY

• Matt Sim
  • Nick Kalmar
  • Federico Piovaccari
  • Antony Golec

Surely Pio will be a lay down maziere for winning through, and would be a strong candidate to make it into the semis. Of the other candidates I suspect Sim will get through as, unlike Golec, he never sent in a sublime cross to Tomi Juric in a ACL match.

Group H:

https://linkto.run/p/H1VK0O8J

• Jerrad Tyson
  • Kwabena Appiah-Kubi
  • Josh McDonald
  • Lachlan Scott

Yeah, I know Tyson is a fan fave and when he was called on for his first few games he did ok. Yet he also spent a long time in season one out due to injury then, when he came back after heading off to Honkers he did nothing to make the club want to keep him...two bites of the cherry and was only really good enough to be in selfies or in social media posts. Kwabs had it all except for football talent...and considering he actually scored for Dynamo Woy Woy shows how poorly he did for us. McDonald and Scott are two examples of kids who promised a lot but did SFA.

Edited by ManfredSchaefer