Wanderers Lose Grand Final 2-1 In Extra Time

Suncorp is great looking that's for sure.

It's weird that I'm reading how loud it was and all that. Because it sure didn't sound like it in the stand - flat, disappearing noise was what it sounded like. Accoustics were horrible.

And there were a LOT of people not giving their all, it has to be said. I'm glad it didn't appear to have looked/sounded that way to everybody else but man. If we had everybody on board at times like last night we would be IMMENSE. I don't care if we are better than everyone else already, I want to punch through the roof.

Disappointed but not surprised by Green.  He has myopia when it comes to handballs in the penalty area unless we commit them in Grand Finals.

But let's put this all in to perspective.  If someone had said to you a team built mostly from scraps within 3 months would going to 2 Grand Finals in 2 season, top 2 both seasons and winning the Premier Plate and in to the knockout phase of the ACL, you'd be calling the men in white coats.  This team has achieved above and beyond.

Losing any match is painful.  Losing in those circumstances even more but I'm incredibly proud of this club.  

And yesterday the support of WSW was immense.  It felt like a home game for long periods.  No wonder Mulvey was calling on the crowd to support the team and the players of Brisbane have to gee up the crowd.  We never need to do this and I hope we never will.  True support shows its colours.  We showed ours yesterday and will continue today, tomorrow and in the future.

Cheer up boys.  Season's not over yet.

At the ground last night, it felt like a battle of the titans particularly in the first half with alot of back and forth.

off-field, RBB were absolutely immense! I'm still disappointed that I couldnt be in the active bay but sang my heart out from the nosebleed section anyway.

To me, the loss hurt way more than last year where I was happy just to be there. This year it felt like we were in with a good chance and so it hurt more.

I never thought I'd see the day where supporting a football team would cause me to shed tears but shed I did when the players came over to applaud us. Could see the hurt in their eyes and body language. Even today that heartbreak is still raw, and reading all your comments on here is making me emotional again. :sorry:

On plane from Brisbane back this morning, still heaps of us wearing the jersey loud & proud. I had to wear corporate attire but my scarf was on display.

Onwards to ACL! Hopefully we will pull through this Wednesday. Qualifying for the quarters will go some way in easing the heartache from yesterday

I feel for the players - I know they are aware how much we love them and how proud we are but I am sure they feel like they failed. I hope that on the flight today they are reflecting on all the positives and rememeber that every one of us will be back next year supporting them to go one better.

Anyone else notice how terrible the Suncorp surface was, particularly around the goals. Amazing that it hasn't been mentioned. Suncorp is a great stadium but its surface is second rate

The Paddo was awesome. The staff decent too. Plenty of room and created a perfect starting point for the march, being downhill all the way - can't beat it! As we got to the stadium steps a glance backwards was amazing. A sea of red and black.  The Den did a good job inside, the stadium is great to watch football. Makes Pirtek look old and tired. We need something similiar. RBB fantastic. Just wish we could be a bit more spontaneous sometimes. Like when Shinji went off, we should have acknowledged him rather than continue the 'West' chant. IMHO.

Roar have deserved the title over the year - best team - no doubt and they just kept coming at us. You could feel they would score. NTS off though was an unlucky turning point for us. I'm not too bothered about the refeering decisions, we've had some go our way this year. Shinji could have had a red in our semi by the letter of the law and we've had a few challenges go unpunished, so swings and roundabouts I reckon there.

Flight back very sombre and yeah NTS was limping down the aisle so I don't think he'll be playing tomorrow.

Two years, two grand finals, one Premiership, and knockout stages of the ACL. Look how far we've come?

Edited by beatsurrender

Hope the lads use their pain to cause pain & grief in the champs league.

In true westie style, we will be back, bigger and better next season

I love the fact that we are by far the most hated club in the league. To the extent that the whole league erupts when we lose.

Our time will come and boy will it be ******* sweet.

I feel the same, much better to be hated for success than to be the club everyone wants to win out of pity.

2 years old

-2 consecutive gf aperances 

-2 consecutive qualifications to acl

-1 premiers plate 

- round of 16 qualification for acl

-record breaking crowd attendances for several away trips

-change the face of the a-league for ever

-most intimidating ground to play at

-most derby wins 

-raised the bar beyond belief in terms of active support 

LOST????? we have lost nothing never been prouder of the boys or this family that keeps growing stronger every day.

FOREVER RED & BLACK

p.s absolutely disgusting they booed some of our players as they got there medals. Brisbane roar fans you are a disgrace to the name of football. 

p.s absolutely disgusting they booed some of our players as they got there medals. Brisbane roar fans you are a disgrace to the name of football. 

Didn't we boo CCM players after last years loss?

Didn't we boo CCM players after last years loss?

I believe there was a Poznan started before they went to get their medals and it continued throughout

At the ground last night, it felt like a battle of the titans particularly in the first half with alot of back and forth.

Yeah that first half was a real battle, loved every minute of it. Broich came alive in the second half and without his passing and freekicks, Brisbane wouldn't have got back in the game. For the Wanderers I question the decision to take Ono off, he looked pretty frustrated on the bench. Mooy just stood there as Henrique set himself up for the goal.

It was a long day, getting up at 4am, and arriving back home at 11pm. A few post-match thoughts from me:

• I don’t buy into this ‘Brisbane deserved to win because they were the best team throughout the season’. That would be like saying that the Premier should also automatically win the Championship. Rubbish. The Championship is a different competition, a league cup of some sort.
  • Let me do a Mike Mulvey impersonation: the Roar was not the better team, but ‘luckier’. The Roar did not win against the WSW. The WSW lost against 12 men.
  • We heard the Roar supporters, of course, after they scored. Naturally. 40k had finally found their voices, and with a bit of encouragement of sports comrade Berisha, quite a few of them actually got of their bums. But: were we stood, we couldn’t not hear Brisbane Roar sing.
  • We were on the same plane to Sydney as the team. The disappointment was in their eyes and their faces, and the flight back was a somber affair. Some of us were talking to the players, and it has to be said that Popovich has assembled a genuinely likeable group of men. Very decent and respectful blokes. I felt really sorry for them because they were robbed, and for many of them this opportunity will never present itself again in their careers. Haliti sat in his seat on the plane, staring ahead, and I can imagine what he was thinking about.
  • How the Roar wins GFs at home is noteworthy. They could or should have lost all three finals, and were ‘lucky’ each time. Hmmm.
  • What more can we say about Peter Green? A ref from Brisbane for a game in Brisbane with a team from Brisbane, and didn’t it show!!!  FFA, what were you thinking? Another handball not given, again, in a final? FFA keeps talking about what a show piece the GF is for football here, but for years now the refereeing in Australia has been an embarrassment. Mark Shield anyone? FFS, get someone in from England, Italy or Germany to get the job done.
  • You win some, you lose some. After NTS’s injury we lost structure. With NTS in the back and La Rocca in midfield we would have gotten over the line, despite the ref. One could argue that we lost the game because we were not able to close out the game. It has been the story of the season, really.
  • Very much looking forward to Berisha playing for the VIC and giving demonstrations of his sportsmanship against the Roar in years to come. He is a genuine scum bag on the pitch.
  • Above the bay where we were standing were terraces of Roar supporters. After the first goal we were showered with beer. I first thought if might be coming from our guys, but no more doubts after the two Roar goals. The beer was raining down on us and quite a few of us where water bottled. I told a friend of mine about it, and he said “Welcome to Brisbane, Australia’s answer to Alabamaâ€.
  • The Paddo was pumping, it was great to see Dicko there, and the march was quite a spectacle. I don’t know if it made the news here or in QLD, but it certainly was something.
  • The best part of Brisbane is the flight out of Brisbane.

Maybe the most important aspect of yesterday’s match was that the WSW achieved something yesterday which the Smurfs never managed to accomplish: mass appeal. I believe Roxy and Marconi were pumping (would be interesting to learn how things were at the other live sites). This morning people who usually don’t care about football talked to me about the match, and what a great game it was. People tuned in yesterday for the first time, and they liked what they saw.

Onwards we march. Next stop ACL. Then it will be time to say goodbye to quite a few players. Then the WC will roll on, and the WSW will be back in training already. Then the winter pre-season matches, then the next season which hopefully start with a derby at ANZ, then the AC in January, then the rest of the league, then the next round of finals. And so it just keeps going. I have no doubt that the team next year will be even stronger than this side. Despite of yesterday’s result: life is good. Look how far we’ve come, we unit as one.

I forgot to mention what was the go with the Roar TIFO?? A what looked to be a black and red display in the shape of a W? Wtf???

When it was shown on the TV at marconi it initially got a cheer (thats how red and black it looked) it was only after they showed the RBB straight after that we realised it was the roar tifo...

paper today said there were 6000 at marconi, there was an unrelated family fun day/catholic festival on so maybe they counted those numbers as well. But the place was packed.  

The tifo was like a black silhouette of someone holding up a scarf that said brisbane.

Let's be nice and say that's a good idea and fair play for getting it done (I wonder how it was funded...)

But I think a fair few Brisbanites need to build their upper body strength because the cardboard pieces were going down all over the shop. It was sagging towards the left of us in particular, made it look like the TIFO silhouette himself was running out of strength.