Squad Development 2016/17 Part 2

Also i have noticed other teams really use their youth players as squadies...players u21 or u23 on contracts could really save us cap space and allow to use the cash to sign some quality players for key positions. I think working the cap is the biggest thing. 2 players outside the cap 1 guest marquee and another 11-14 players of quality with the rest of the squad being made up of up and coming u21s and u23s. We need to use the cap space and marquee options.

I've sort of noticed too.

Without taking the youth contracts and marquee contracts into consideration, with 25 players on the books wouldn't it be ideal the splash the cash on a first 11, the best young (cheap) talent happy for any game time but can come in as a 2nd 11... then 3 utility playera.

That way you're covered in every position and don't end up with 8 CBs and 6 DMs then resort to playing a CB at LB and central players on the wing.

There's a few teams loading up on a starting 11 but it's very risky. 1 or 2 injuries and it can all fall apart. Happpened to Victory halfway through last season and they spent the rest of it playing catch up.

Yeah But if you think you have a few u23, u21 players and youth players that are competent enough to play in that position you are covered you might sign a decent squadie that can cover a key position balance the signigns and cap but i guess you have a point about injuries. 

hopefully the youth guys - scott, shabow etc will play regularly once acl rotation kicks in. perhaps with santa down scott will get to do the alternating 60-30 thing with bulut. i would like to see him and shabow in the squad rather than lustica and cole (yes i know - sentimentality aside) from the couple of games I have seen of shabow his pace and willingness to run at players would be ideal to unleash on tired teams in the last 20 minutes.

Edited by lloydy136

Apparently the rumours about Herve Sage are resurfacing according to twitter...

Which foreigner gets paid off? Borda has a long contract, so likely Pinatares if there is any credibility to this (usual panic when things aren't working) rumour.

A 'keeper or striker should be higher on the list than a midfielder.

Herve Kage contracted till Jun 2020.

Performance data

15 games, 8 goals, 5 assists, 1130 minutes

Won't be coming our way.

did you say keeper. Loans deals Tsatsimas!!!!

Birighitti

4 games (premier league 2 and efl cup, goals against 4

360 minutes)

Mat Ryan (la liga 2 games, 180 minutes) on the bench behind the Brazil No 2

Pina has been good the last 2 games. I'd be shipping off Borda if we have to release a Visa player.

Borda has a two year contract - how do you get rid of him. I don't think we would get away with the

Adeleke / Saba et al treatment of players again.

Also i have noticed other teams really use their youth players as squadies...players u21 or u23 on contracts could really save us cap space and allow to use the cash to sign some quality players for key positions. I think working the cap is the biggest thing. 2 players outside the cap 1 guest marquee and another 11-14 players of quality with the rest of the squad being made up of up and coming u21s and u23s. We need to use the cap space and marquee options.

I've sort of noticed too.

Without taking the youth contracts and marquee contracts into consideration, with 25 players on the books wouldn't it be ideal the splash the cash on a first 11, the best young (cheap) talent happy for any game time but can come in as a 2nd 11... then 3 utility playera.

That way you're covered in every position and don't end up with 8 CBs and 6 DMs then resort to playing a CB at LB and central players on the wing.

There's a few teams loading up on a starting 11 but it's very risky. 1 or 2 injuries and it can all fall apart. Happpened to Victory halfway through last season and they spent the rest of it playing catch up.

That's a very good point. 25 players might be just too short. It will be a while before we get 30 player squads, if at all.

What's the rule with the NPL players being called up to A League fixtures?

Its a shame because one thing Borda has going for him is he is a beast for attacking corners, Problem with Borda is he is slow, and a horrible passer of the ball, his passes are so badly timed it always puts the receiver under pressure. His tackling is decent but once again his speed sucks. popa needs to do something about the positioning of our defensive line if hes to persist with him. Cornthwaite is another, hes better then Borda passing wise but still not up to the task for the system popa has put out.

All of these passing out the back woes are further hampered by not having Jamo anymore, he was so comfortable on the ball. Clisby understandably not so much in that department. And also the system of Andreu and Dimas last season was well understood through the squad, Andreu practically dropped to within a third centre back range to pick up the ball in possession. Barely evident at the moment.

How i would love Burns to revitalise our attack, or a suitable Centreback etc... But IMO my main target would be a Keeper with sweeping abilities. Im not going to go blaming Redmayne for our results, but he just doesnt fit our puzzle.....,  we are a possesion based team that only conceds shots on the counter pretty much and have a slow defence... some one like Birighetti with his mobility would be a perfect goal keeper for us.

There is a football technical term that describes our defence - " a **** up ".

The only way to fix it at the moment is to play 5 at the back with an old fashioned sweeper sitting

behind the four defenders to nullify opposition speed and to clean up defensive stuff ups. The four

defenders would themselves be sitting deep. Play on the break , we have suitable players to play

on the counter.

Not without its own risks ( giving away free kicks around the penalty area) and drastic but simply

have to stop leaking goals until we can recruit decent centrebacks.

Not a chance in hell this system will be implemented though under the current coaching staff.

Sweeper?  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:  :rofl:

Teams get in behind us all too easily now.

Imagine how easy they'll get in behind us if the attacking players can already start their runs from behind our defensive line. (because they won't be offside as we have a sweeper playing them all on) 

Who would you play in that position mate?

Imagine how easy they'll get in behind us if the attacking players can already start their runs from behind our defensive line. (because they won't be offside as we have a sweeper playing them all on) 

The defenders , apart from the sweeper ,would mark man to man in front of the

attacker. So they got to beat the defender first then get past the sweeper.

The guy would consider as sweeper is Dimas , could direct the defensive organisation

marking and lack of speed would not be a problem as the attacker would always be

coming at him and not playing off his shoulder.

Look it's not going to happen , but I hate to think what a fast attacker like Mclaren will do to our turtle paced defence if we leave the defensive organisation as is.

Edited by riva

The guy would consider as sweeper is Dimas , could direct the defensive organisation

marking and lack of speed would not be a problem as the attacker would always be

Look it's not going to happen , but I hate to think what a fast attacker like Mclaren will do to our turtle paced defence if we leave the defensive organisation as is.

Oh my god.

It gets better and better.

This isn't park football bro.

You can't just put your best player at sweeper and let him deal with it.

Oh my god.

It gets better and better.

This isn't park football bro.

You can't just put your best player at sweeper and let him deal with it.

Fair enough , including the FFA Cup we've conceded 20 goals in 9 games with no clean sheets.

Just keep going the way we are , defending like a park football team.

Would a sweeper have helped with the following?

- Borda having an air-swing trying to clear a ball

- Redmayne flapping at a cross

- Hamill (a CB squaddie) being caught out of position

We're making individual mistakes.

A "sweeper" which hasn't been used in professional football for probably 20 years, doesn't solve that.

No airswings.

No flaps.

We'll beat City this weekend.

Ah yes Franko Baresi, Ronald Coeman, I miss the days of the sweeper. I've always liked a 5-3-2 formation where the fullbacks have an attacking licence to bomb forward as you have three guys covering at the back. Spiranovic would make a good sweeper. In fact I'm pretty sure as a youth player that is what position he learned to play. Sweepers always read the game well. Problem is now that keepers have become sweepers of sorts. Well not all keepers..not Redmayne.

Lol sweeper idea, he must have mutten chops and a mullet to represent the 80's tactics.

We just need a marquee Aus like Burns or Spira and piss off Borda with brown paper bag money handshake then bring in a marquee DM who can play forward so Dimas can play his d effectively.

Lol Borda hasnt had a good game this season. 

This guy has given me the shits ever since the derby for some reason.

He is never coming good. Might be up there as the worst import we've ever had. Yes worse than Pio, worse than Adeleke.

Just **** him off in January please.

Member when Bruno had a bad game? Everyone wanted him gone. Now its happening to borda.

Both quality foreigners', I believe borda will come good abd close the border to goals

I admire your optimism, and hope you are right. So far he has been largely dreadful. He started looking a bit better against the Jets but that game against Victory was awful.

Contrast that to Alberto who was sexual

Australia attacker Robbie Kruse will make his club future a priority after feeling the negative effects of next to no game time for Bayer Leverkusen.

Source: AAP

16 NOV 2016 - 9:32 PM UPDATED 1 HOUR AGO

Kruse is yet to play a minute in the Bundesliga this season, which was obvious as he struggled through 90 minutes in Australia's uninspiring 2-2 World Cup qualifying draw with lowly Thailand.

The 28-year-old is contracted until June next year, but conceded he will probably need to look for a move in the January transfer window if he's a chance of playing in the Confederations Cup.

"I know I need to sort my club future out in January because I need to be playing regularly, wherever that may be," Kruse said.

"I can feel in myself just a few per cent not in the rhythm I used to be in when I was playing regularly before my injury.

"Heading into the Confederations Cup, it's vital for me to be playing at my club."

Explainer: Where things stand for the Socceroos' qualifying campaign

The Socceroos' World Cup qualification path has become far more precarious after Tuesday night's embarrassing 2-2 draw with minnows Thailand.

Kruse was not the only starter in Tuesday night's match lacking game time.

Valencia goalkeeper Mat Ryan hasn't played in the La Liga since August while left-back Brad Smith is yet to leave Bournemouth's bench in the English Premier League.

A recent injury to Milos Degenek also saw the defender ruled out for a period for German second-tier outfit 1860 Munich.

Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou admitted the situation was less than ideal.

"It would certainly help more if they were playing regular football," Postecoglou said.

"I can't influence that apart from selection, and at the end of the day the players know the position they're in, and we need our players playing regular football."

I cannot fathom why Autralian players won't just bite the bullet and come home. Kruse would be a marquee for us so he would still earn a decent wage and more importantly would have a coach whose main concern is his wellbeing because he would be a star player not a squaddie. The A-league provides a great environment to improve and get consistency. He's never going to cut it in europe without coming back. But he won't. He'll go on a footballing holiday to China or a small european nation before returning to the a-league in 2 years time at the age of 30 and be like Holman or Cahill.

• mack unpinned this topic