Western Sydney Stadium Construction (New Parramatta Stadium)

mack

2 hours ago, hughsey said:

Isn’t this the project that the Royal Oak is being sacrificed for? 

Yep - I have written to the minister involved and been told to "suck it up princess"......well in a manner of speaking - in fact he said that I may be interested to know that the Royal Oak isn't heritage listed - which I did know but it doesn't make one iota of difference. The Regent Theatre in George street in the city was heritage listed and was bulldozed in the middle of the night Joh Bjelke-Petersen style anyway....

13 minutes ago, Erebus said:

Is there really a need for that light rail and proposed route?

edit: maybe there is. Connected Dundas and surrounds to Parra means those suburbs can easily get to a major transport interchange and can potential take public transport to work instead of driving.

Yes. Good opportunity to establish a light rail when Parramatta while it's not as developed.

We don't want a **** up like the light rail in the city. 

14 hours ago, JackDoff said:

Couldnt they have just added extra buses? and saved a shiitload of money time n effort?  If they think people will use this instead of their cars , theyre trippin'.

This type of mind set is why traffic and public transport is **** in Sydney.

1 hour ago, Erebus said:

Is there really a need for that light rail and proposed route?

edit: maybe there is. Connected Dundas and surrounds to Parra means those suburbs can easily get to a major transport interchange and can potential take public transport to work instead of driving.

I see it as connecting parts of Sydney with new public transport infrastructure:

- Westmead (new big development hub) with Parramatta

- Parramatta to SOP, which they want to attract more business into the area

- Revamp the Carlingford line which has been relegated to a waste of commuters time. They have missed the opportunity to connect it up to Epping.

- Connect Parra to the old industrial areas which they plan on turning into a residential precinct similar to Rhodes 

2 hours ago, thefairy said:

Yes. Good opportunity to establish a light rail when Parramatta while it's not as developed.

Yeah , I’m sure everyone will abandon their cars and flock to use the Light rail system...when it’s running late , shutdown due to weather conditions etc etc etc .  Band aid measure by pollies to get votes. 

4 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

Yeah , I’m sure everyone will abandon their cars and flock to use the Light rail system...when it’s running late , shutdown due to weather conditions etc etc etc .  Band aid measure by pollies to get votes. 

No one is going to abandon cars. It is just another alternative form of transport which helps relieve congestion.

So your suggestion of adding more buses will accommodate the massive influx of people in Parramatta in the future? LOL

43 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

...and there is no way people are going to carry home a weeks worth of shopping for the family on public transport. Mum,Dad,two kids, a pram,plus shopping on a packed tram........what could possibly go wrong...... a fun day out for the whole family.....!....lol

My dad,due to medical conditions has no car licence anymore. If he has to go or do anything the family drive him. He could use public transport but it would take him a whole day to do what we can accomplish in an hour . And there is no way he could take his shopping home on it.

Public transport is mainly useful for workers or a park and ride.....not as a substitute for a car. 

Edited by sonar
24 minutes ago, thefairy said:

No one is going to abandon cars. It is just another alternative form of transport which helps relieve congestion.

So your suggestion of adding more buses will accommodate the massive influx of people in Parramatta in the future? LOL

Maybe decent incentives should’ve been put in place years n years ago to spread out the population , Wollongong, Nowra, Newcastle etc . larger country centres Bathurst Orange Dubbo etc. Multiple commercial centres in the metro area alleviates congestion too . Getting people to use motorbikes/scooters stead of cars, eases traffic and parking .

Light rail to me is just City Rail Lite.....Shiity Rail 

anywho , I don’t give a rats , I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve used public transport in the last 20 years

59 minutes ago, JackDoff said:

Maybe decent incentives should’ve been put in place years n years ago to spread out the population , Wollongong, Nowra, Newcastle etc . larger country centres Bathurst Orange Dubbo etc. Multiple commercial centres in the metro area alleviates congestion too . Getting people to use motorbikes/scooters stead of cars, eases traffic and parking .

Light rail to me is just City Rail Lite.....Shiity Rail 

anywho , I don’t give a rats , I can count on one hand the number of times I’ve used public transport in the last 20 years

Australia should have started developing proper high speed trains between Newcastle - Wollongong and ultimately Melbourne and Brisbane in the late 70's and early 80's, there is the issue of distance, geography and ultimately cost....but while many countries are considering their second generation of high speed train travel (HS2 in the UK) Australia is still stuck in pre war travel times and infrastructure when it comes to regional travel, traveling from Sydney to Newcastle by train is a joke. There should have been a high speed rail line from Newcastle that went straight through Sydney and on to Wollongong as a Newcastle to Wollongong east coast express...any other country would have started this 40 years ago....

4 hours ago, thefairy said:

Sydney went ******* American mad in the 50's and 60's, rip out the miles of tram lines, car is king and crank up the beach boys....that mind set still exists here and if you challenge that by some you get told European style city shyte won't work here, the media is being dragged kicking and screaming in to the light rail era, I like light rail and would use the line that comes down to Parra from up Carlo way.

12 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Sydney went ******* American mad in the 50's and 60's, rip out the miles of tram lines, car is king and crank up the beach boys....that mind set still exists here and if you challenge that by some you get told European style city shyte won't work here, the media is being dragged kicking and screaming in to the light rail era, I like light rail and would use the line that comes down to Parra from up Carlo way.

I agree with you but remember thats all well and good if you live at Parra or closer to the city but for those of us who live further out Penrith way we get jack **** in the way of public transport. It;s either catch a train that may be chockers,delayed,cancelled,broken down, or a bus that basically travels on roads cars use ,stops every 200mtrs and takes forever....or drive. I'll drive every time.

At the derby last Sat I drove to newington, parked,walked to the ground,watched the game,walked back to the car after,and was home before 11.30pm. Can you imagine trying to get home after the storm threw transport into chaos....? nightmare.

Edited by sonar
8 minutes ago, sonar said:

I agree with you but remember thats all well and good if you live at Parra or closer to the city but for those of us who live further out Penrith way we get jack **** in the way of public transport. It;s either catch a train that may be chockers,delayed,cancelled,broken down, or a bus that basically travels on roads cars use ,stops every 200mtrs and takes forever....or drive. I'll drive every time.

At the derby last Sat I drove to newington, parked,walked to the ground,watched the game,walked back to the car after,and was home before 11.30pm. Can you imagine trying to get home after the storm threw transport into chaos....? nightmare.

Sydney needs a more integrated transport infrastructure for sure....what is happening is a step in the right direction though..they need the fast high speed train line from Parra (or even start at Penrith?) to the city also....the new airport should have a fast train link to western Sydney and the city...but prob wont..

The biggest problem sydney's transport is there's no rail corridor rings. There should be an outer ring that runs around from Richmond to Penrith, Campbelltown, Cronulla CBD, Chatswood, Macquarie Park, Castle Hill, Windsor then around again, and an inner ring from Fairfield to Liverpool to Bankstown to Marrickville/Newtown to Strathfield to Parramatta (This one we kinda have on the existing heavy rail but it's not exactly commuter friendly).

26 minutes ago, mack said:

The biggest problem sydney's transport is there's no rail corridor rings. There should be an outer ring that runs around from Richmond to Penrith, Campbelltown, Cronulla CBD, Chatswood, Macquarie Park, Castle Hill, Windsor then around again, and an inner ring from Fairfield to Liverpool to Bankstown to Marrickville/Newtown to Strathfield to Parramatta (This one we kinda have on the existing heavy rail but it's not exactly commuter friendly).

A key piece is the Epping to Parramatta link that has been proposed and delayed for years, even this light rail won't link Epping and Parra, which is ridiculous..you would think linking the high tech park at Macquarie via Epping to Parra would be the go..but doubt it will ever happen. How stupid is it that if you want to go via public transport from Epping to Parra you have to switch to a bus that gets stuck in ridiculous traffic or go all the way down to Strathfield and change..ultimate dog leg...

Edited by Smoggy
2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

A key piece is the Epping to Parramatta link that has been proposed and delayed for years, even this light rail won't link Epping and Parra, which is ridiculous..you would think linking the high tech park at Macquarie via Epping to Parra would be the go..but doubt it will ever happen. How stupid is it that if you want to go via public transport from Epping to Parra you have to switch to a bus that gets stuck in ridiculous traffic or go all the way down to Strathfield and change..ultimate dog leg...

Just drive......:P

5 hours ago, mack said:

guess what mack? they are doing that. Transport NSW is trying to connect the loops up.

because of how much red tape and how expensive it is to build things these days it will take ages for them to have those links up and running.

If you go through the history and time line of our rail in sydney. You would see a massive boom of train lines being built then the last 30 years of nothing.

Sydney was built on **** planning from the beginning. Those people didn't allow for future planning so now it's up to people in the present to fixed their **** up.

I don't expect people out side of the industry to understand how traffic/transport works and the politics behind it all but it is pretty ignorant for people to say they know better because you don't.

5 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Did you know there was a plan to have a station at bondi beach but the bondi community had a massive cry about it so they stopped building that station. bondi junction was the result. lol

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-03/curious-sydney-why-bondi-beach-does-not-have-a-train-station/9485454

also heres what happened to the epping to parramatta link. "Low levels of projected patronage was given as the reason"

https://transportsydney.wordpress.com/tag/parramatta-to-epping-rail-link/

7 hours ago, thefairy said:

Did you know there was a plan to have a station at bondi beach but the bondi community had a massive cry about it so they stopped building that station. bondi junction was the result. lol

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-05-03/curious-sydney-why-bondi-beach-does-not-have-a-train-station/9485454

also heres what happened to the epping to parramatta link. "Low levels of projected patronage was given as the reason"

https://transportsydney.wordpress.com/tag/parramatta-to-epping-rail-link/

Lol yeah i heard that they thought a station at Bondi would make it too easy for the oiks and scum from the west to get there thus lowering the tone of the place......

Errrr Bondi is a shyte hole.....it is now just a shyte hole with bad transport links. ...

The main issue with transport in this city is deffinately changing the mindsets which has historically been against anything that isnt car related for so long. You would think say the SMH would be pro modern and expanded transport ...but no....

Look at Central station in Sydney and the stupid pedestrian tunnels underneath..or Redfern staion where they have just stuck on a pointless new entrance and exit which does nothing to improve the place. They need a whole new station there....

I was in  London this time last year and went through Kings Cross and St Pancras and wow!  What they have done to those places is stunning, they are now places people go to who arent even traveling people go there to spend money and look around just to say they have been...in the case of Kings Cross Harry Potter helps but regardless what they have done is amazing.

It shows what can be achieved with a bit of imagiation, the political will and also the funds to do that if course. Sydney is doing bits and pieces but not nearly enough,  will take time to reverse years of underfunding.

Edited by Smoggy
  • 2 weeks later...
  • mack locked this topic