World Cup 2018

mack

3 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Its all bullshit, play your best side and go for the win and try and win well. Tournament football is all about momentum and backing yourself to beat anyone, I would be disappointed if England went for second place and were happy with that. Win the game and let the others worry about you.

Should be a good game this one, alarm set for 3:55am and will tune in :)

I agree it is a dangerous thing to do. Apart from losing momentum, there is alway the chance of losing to the supposedly inferior team. It fires them up, and there is more pressure on you.

I think tanking suits those wily, crafty teams like South Americans and Italians that actually see it as just part of the street-smart game to fool other teams, but it doesn’t suit your Englands and Australias etc.

22 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

I didn’t write what I meant properly (no sleep, brain no worky for a month). Definitely my provider’s fault, and isn they don’t fix it would have been a nightmare if it wasn’t on SBS. But it is!

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/sbs-to-broadcast-all-remaining-fifa-world-cup-matches-live

I was just coming back to reply to this but seems like you saw it already :)

27 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

I agree it is a dangerous thing to do. Apart from losing momentum, there is alway the chance of losing to the supposedly inferior team. It fires them up, and there is more pressure on you.

I think tanking suits those wily, crafty teams like South Americans and Italians that actually see it as just part of the street-smart game to fool other teams, but it doesn’t suit your Englands and Australias etc.

On the flip side, the could be on the plane home after a quarter final loss to Brazil while watching Belgium make a semi final by beating Switzerland/Sweden.

Getting Fabian Delph and Phil Jones to kick someone in a dead rubber for a yellow card suddenly wouldn't look like such a bad idea.

I don't know why I'm posting this, probably because I AM TRIGGERED and want to lambast this clown:

https://www.playersvoice.com.au/ange-postecoglou-major-ingredient-is-courage/#H6xDJhadMGL13cWo.97

How dare he talk about courage when he didn't have the balls to see the campaign and his philosophy through to the end! How much courage does it take to sit in Japan and throw barbs?

But as I write this I am realising why I am so riled up. He goes back through the history of our qualification and totally tries to rewrite history to suit his agenda. HOW DARE HE. The history of the Socceroos is not his to turn into the story he wants to hear. PISS OFF YOU DEPLORABLE ****.

He says that Eddie Thompson's teams were hard to beat like there is a problem with that. We were playing Maradona you git. He comments on Venables teams as being the first time we played attacking, and yet we FAILED TO QUALIFY. Then he says that Farina was attacking without talking about how hopelessly unbalanced they were at the end - someone should remind him of how proud we were of our Confed Cup results in 2005. Then he says that after Hiddink we went defensive again with Pim, completely failing to acknowledge that the first thing Hiddink did was improve our defensive solidarity.

I am not going to defend coaches like Pim, but Ange is trying to turn the history of the Socceroos into attacking = good and defensive = bad. How about just good = good and bad = bad. And your ******* team was B.A.D Ange so shut the hell up mate and stick to your Japanese club team.

22 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Ange is trying to turn the history of the Socceroos into attacking = good and defensive = bad. How about just good = good and bad = bad. And your ******* team was B.A.D Ange so shut the hell up mate and stick to your Japanese club team.

I agree with a lot of what you have said. He's definitely being a revisionist.

The crux of his argument is this: "If our way forward is to rely on our defensive stability and competitiveness, then let that be our blueprint. But we must shed our inferiority complex. The problem with always being the underdog is that it is a sign you haven’t improved. We can’t fear failure or being exposed. The Socceroo name alone should give us that strength. We should build on the shoulders of those before us, otherwise we have failed in our responsibilities.

Before the France game, Didier Deschamps remarked how the Socceroos now had a better balance between attack and defence. He referenced that during my reign we were too offensive and open. Some used it as further evidence of my failings. I saw it differently. We all try and find meaning, and I can think of no better five words to define my career than those. His teams were too attacking".

To me, he is slyly admitting that what he was doing really wasn't going to work, but he was going to stick with it dogmatically anyway. Such a stubborn prick. But his argument that we need to not fear others and a "culture" isn't bad.

I don't believe that we should only have one philosophy or style of play. We need to be adaptable to conditions, our strengths and weaknesses, and most importantly our opponents.

is he relevant any more? He chose to jump when he did, pretty weak i thought. If you make that choice for whatever reason, I don't know why you wouldn't choose, then, to stay out of the spotlight for a while and let the team and new coach make their own story. He must have a sizeable ego and needs a stroke reasonably frequently.

I was tired of his belly aching at the end and am glad he's gone. Perhaps when Arnold is found out (again), Milicic will get a go. He's a smart footballer, and a lovely and really funny bloke. Everyone knows him and he has been in the system for ever. If you're my vintage you will remember he killed it at the 93 world youth cup and he was sydney united's best player in the rampant team of the mid 90's. Zdrilic got more goals, but Milicic was the better player.

That article has made me realise something I hadn't yet about Ange: he's a troll. 

He loves nothing more than to throw his voice around without having to prove himself. The fact that he could barely wait 24 hours before writing this is absolutely ******* pathetic. The fact that he's sitting in Japan somewhere slinging mud at a guy who only got the gig BECAUSE HE QUIT and ended up PAYING HIS STAFF HIMSELF because he was so keen to succeed is ******* pathetic. The fact that he thinks he knows more than a guy who has been to a WORLD CUP FINAL is...etc.

Look at Sweden yesterday. They basically played like we did, but better. They knew their limitations, were well organised, hard to break down, and hit people on the counter. Having beaten Italy and Holland on the way to the world cup the same way. Do you think a single Swede is over there going 'yeah, but I'd prefer if we played like Ajax 95, no matter what the result?' They are having the time of their ******* lives because their country won a game of football, because guess what Ange, RESULTS DO ACTUALLY ******* MATTER. 

If results didn't matter I wouldn't be seeing Moroccans, Nigerians, Iranians etc bawling their eyes out at the end of the game because they lost. 

Yes we would all love to play sexy football and hopefully one day we get to a stage where we have the players capable of doing it, but right now there are like 5 teams in the entire ******* tournament who play that way, and not all of them with success. In the meantime I'll take being competitive thanks, and we were A LOT more competitive, against better teams, in the world cup than we were under Ange against powerhouses like Syria and Thailand.

Absolute clown.

One more thing: that last line has to be the worst mic drop in history. 

I can think of no better five words to define my career than those. His teams were too attacking".

So you want your career to be defined as 'his teams were hopelessly unbalanced'? What a great coach you are.

You can tell he's been reading every single thing about the team in this world cup and bristling when other coaches, coaches who have been at the highest level of football for years, say we are harder to beat now. He's been seeing all of that and getting very angry. What a sad little man.

Lookin at this again, I’m not sure about all this “one side of the draw is much more difficult” stuff for Belgium and England, suggesting they should try and come second.

Yes one side has a bunch of big teams but they all play each other for the most part.

For Belg/Eng one side is Colombia-Sweden/Switzerland-Spain/Croatia (probs).

The other is Japan-Brazil/Mexico-one of (Uruguay/Portugal/France/Argies)

So the semis are tough no matter what, so it’s just Japan-Brazil/Mex or Colombia-Switzerland/Sweden. 

Colombia are better than Japan and Sweden have been pretty strong -  unlucky against Germany and killing Mexico. And then you have to weigh up the effect tanking can have on your team psych.

Also, every four years (or 2 really) we look at tournaments and say “this side of the draw is tough” etc and then it changes game-by-game when teams lose.

Non issue in my opinion. Rest your carded players and those you want to freshen up and play as well as you can no matter who is in front of you. 

4 hours ago, luisenrique said:

Ange is that guy who never gets laid but always says he could've, he just didn't want to.

Didn’t one of our mates once say “she’s into me. Well, she’s not, but she should be.” or  “She’s into me but just doesn’t know it” or something.

Ange to a tee

Odd feel to that game, felt like watching a friendly, 8 changes from England and a bit of quality from Belgium. I think the Belgian lad was surprised it flew in lol A really poor game to watch, save yourself the time and don't watch a re run.

Don't think either side wanted to win this game and so neither will win the world cup..

Edited by Smoggy
5 hours ago, btron3000 said:

Didn’t one of our mates once say “she’s into me. Well, she’s not, but she should be.” or  “She’s into me but just doesn’t know it” or something.

Ange to a tee

To use an expression I heard on tv the other day......"He tried to bite off elephant balls but ended up choking on them"....the job was too big for him and his ego to handle...

2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Odd feel to that game, felt like watching a friendly, 8 changes from England and a bit of quality from Belgium. I think the Belgian lad was surprised it flew in lol A really poor game to watch, save yourself the time and don't watch a re run.

Don't think either side wanted to win this game and so neither will win the world cup..

Woke up early to watch this game........the first half anyway........turned the tv off and went back to sleep at half time. It would ironic if Japan did a Korean type job and took out their opponents in the knockout round.....lol

7 minutes ago, sonar said:

Woke up early to watch this game........the first half anyway........turned the tv off and went back to sleep at half time. It would ironic if Japan did a Korean type job and took out their opponents in the knockout round.....lol

Terry Butcher the ex England Captain described it as like a reserve game, which is basically what it was. it was Belgium B V England B, it was played like a friendly. Final 10 mins England showed no ambition to get the goal back, Kane remained firmly on his backside. It was all as flat as a pancake.....

Not as bad as the Poland V Japan game but it was pretty average stuff, a good strike from Belgium for their goal apart,

Edited by Smoggy

The arrogance of English press shits me. Heard some interview with one of them last night abot how well they are playing blah blah.. The have beaten two dreadful teams so far.. I’m English and I struggle to support them. If England do go well then then Pickford must go Man Utd / Chelsea / liverpool (delete as appropriate) for the sake of his career stories will start. 

If they don’t it will be his fault for letting down brave Jordan Henderson..

just typing this rant I’m convincing myself 

“go japan” Nippon

Edited by StringerBellend
41 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

The arrogance of English press shits me. Heard some interview with one of them last night abot how well they are playing blah blah.. The have beaten two dreadful teams so far.. I’m English and I struggle to support them. If England do go well then then Pickford must go Man Utd / Chelsea / liverpool (delete as appropriate) for the sake of his career stories will start. 

“go japan” Nippon

English press can't change their spots.

Colombia will beat England if Rodriguez and Falcoa put it on. Otherwise it will be down to aet and possible penalty shootout.

10 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

English press can't change their spots.

Colombia will beat England if Rodriguez and Falcoa put it on. Otherwise it will be down to aet and possible penalty shootout.

I’ll be honest I’m starting the hope they do, the comments on articles from engerlund fans **** me too. Oh we deliberately lost this to get the easier game.. smack a crap Panama team and all of sudden they feel oh we should beat Columbia. at the moment I hope they get smashed 

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

“go japan” Nippon

Compared to previous tournaments they have played well, true that the bar from the last two previous tournaments are set pretty damned low so wouldn't take much beating. And yes the opposition has not been that great before Belgium but then you can only beat what is in front of you. I was thinking the Belgium game would be the real test of England's credentials but it was anything but that, this will come against Colombia now, hard game, but the there are no easy games in the last 16 contrary to what people say about easy routes and so on.There were signs though that this England team does have some quality, but all too soon for this competition. 

As for the English press, they have actually been more behaved this world cup than any I can remember. Yes there has been excitement building but that is only natural. It is summer in the UK, they are having an unusually hot one, the BBQ's and white legs are out and it is party time, if you don't mind the odd chav and  over sized plastic bottles of cheap cider then it is good times, until the inevitable happens and England get knocked out....

So go on..you must be about the same age as me (late 30's), think back to when you were a kid in 86 and watching England take on the Argies, or think back to Italia90 and all that drama and heartbreak.....kick free just for a week or so from these Aussie pommy hating bastards that will drag you down and let yourself just for a moment be dragged along with it :D

For me watching these games I there again with my old man and granddad sat on the carpet in front of the TV willing England on and sharign in the broken dreams. I am back at Wembley with my old man at Euro 96 jumping all over the seats after we beat Spain...and then more heartache.

These Aussies will get their moment of joy when England get knocked out...but **** them, they are just bitter...embrace your past, dust off your old England top and ride the wave together :D

My rant over lol

Edited by Smoggy
11 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I’ll be honest I’m starting the hope they do, the comments on articles from engerlund fans **** me too. Oh we deliberately lost this to get the easier game.. smack a crap Panama team and all of sudden they feel oh we should beat Columbia. at the moment I hope they get smashed 

Your a disgrace :nono:

12 hours ago, luisenrique said:

One more thing: that last line has to be the worst mic drop in history. 

I can think of no better five words to define my career than those. His teams were too attacking".

So you want your career to be defined as 'his teams were hopelessly unbalanced'? What a great coach you are.

You can tell he's been reading every single thing about the team in this world cup and bristling when other coaches, coaches who have been at the highest level of football for years, say we are harder to beat now. He's been seeing all of that and getting very angry. What a sad little man.

He's starting to become footballs version of Phil Gould, with Craig Foster close behind him. Experts from their armchairs, dining out on hindsight...