2018/19 A-league Semi-Finals

21 minutes ago, mack said:

It's better than playing your GF one week early and losing.

The similarities between this game and our semi against the Roar make me just wonder whether Perth played their best a week too soon as we did......we lost the GF

7 hours ago, sonar said:

The similarities between this game and our semi against the Roar make me just wonder whether Perth played their best a week too soon as we did......we lost the GF

Perth weren't at their best and they will play the GF at home with 8 or 9 days before then.

But it doesn't mean they will win.

25 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

Perth weren't at their best and they will play the GF at home with 8 or 9 days before then.

But it doesn't mean they will win.

Ed, we were competitive against Perth and we finished 8th. Victory and ESFC are better than Adelaide. Out of the two remaining teams I think Victory would worry Popa the most.

8 hours ago, sonar said:

I was thinking this....but then we had to travel to an away final and home advantage is so big as we know. Even when we reached our first GF against CCM  at Allianz  it didnt feel like home advantage to me, even with so many Wanderers packing the place out. I feel like we are yet to have our proper crack at a home GF. 

Watching the semi last night a part of me wanted Adelaide to win, to see Popa stuff it up again lol But then Santa stepped up to take a penna and that changes things. 

Santa to come on in the last 15mins and win the GF.

Popa to break his leg in the post win celebrations as karma for walking out on us to some arse end Turkish shytehole..

No im not over it yet :D

22 minutes ago, sonar said:

Ed, we were competitive against Perth and we finished 8th. Victory and ESFC are better than Adelaide. Out of the two remaining teams I think Victory would worry Popa the most.

If it was anyone but ESFC or Vic i would have been hoping for them to win, just to see Popa **** another final up. But with it being one of them...and the Santa factor...i guess i will go for Glory...

25 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

If it was anyone but ESFC or Vic i would have been hoping for them to win, just to see Popa **** another final up. But with it being one of them...and the Santa factor...i guess i will go for Glory...

giphy.gif

It was a truly remarkable match. Adelaide can be very proud of the effort they put in and the way they fought back. Great to see Castro commiserating with the Adelaide players. It really could have gone either way at the end. Not sure Perth will be favourites in the GF given (either of) their potential opponents, the pressure of a huge home crowd and massive hope and expectation - though it would be nice to see them triumph. Some of the football they serve up - invariably via the beautiful touches of Castro - has been a joy to behold.

Who said all the best football entertainment is provided by British and European teams? Last night proved that 'Colonial' fare can match it with the best for drama and 'edge-of-your-seat' suspense.

Even though I'm yet to see anything but the highlights of last night's  game, well said Echidna!

Sure, other leagues around the world can provide higher levels of football in terms of quality. But every A League season, there a re numerous edge of your seat, dramatic games which are thrilling  to watch ( with all of the finals games so far falling into that category to a greater or lesser extent imho).

3 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

I just read on TWG site that Fox decided which end would be used for the penalties last night. So FFA just decreed that and there was no coin toss. Kurz was furious about it (without using it as any sort of excuse).

The Fox influence is getting worse. 

But they still did the toss and Adelaide chose to shoot first, obviously they wanted the shed end for the noise and entertainment. 

That was almost as good as our roar comeback victory to watch, well done the reds. 

4 hours ago, Edinburgh said:

I just read on TWG site that Fox decided which end would be used for the penalties last night. So FFA just decreed that and there was no coin toss. Kurz was furious about it (without using it as any sort of excuse).

The Fox influence is getting worse. 

The law only changed recently. In the 2015/16 version the law just said the ref decides. Fox & FFA have always predetermined where the kicks will take place in finals games in recent history.

6 hours ago, Burgerman said:

But they still did the toss and Adelaide chose to shoot first, obviously they wanted the shed end for the noise and entertainment. 

That was almost as good as our roar comeback victory to watch, well done the reds. 

Different toss. According to Kurtz there should be a toss to decide which end to hold the shootout (as well as a toss to decide who shoots first)

6 hours ago, mack said:

The law only changed recently. In the 2015/16 version the law just said the ref decides. Fox & FFA have always predetermined where the kicks will take place in finals games in recent history.

Aaah. I had thought the ref decides from past experience.  But Kurtz had me rethinking. He obviously has different experience overseas.

1 hour ago, Edinburgh said:

Aaah. I had thought the ref decides from past experience.  But Kurtz had me rethinking. He obviously has different experience overseas.

Fox Sports dictate everything :xmad:

The schedule

The start time

When to actually kickoff 

Initially, how to use VAR

Getting refs to ignore foul throws "to make the game flow"

Getting refs to keep players on the field instead of giving a second yellow or straight-red (Craig Goodwin clearly telling  Riera to f... off and Brosque for Abuse of Match Official)

Got no problem with penalties at the home end looked good on tv and is a good reward for the home team . 

Kurtz should be more worried that he coached his players to miss 4 pens . 

His sideline antics every week were starting to wear thin , threatened the cameraman for filming the huddle was embarrassing.  

Edited by TheSweeper
9 hours ago, TheSweeper said:

Yes was just making fun of him for blaming the penalty end when you can’t  expect to win a shootout if you miss 4 

He didn't blame anyone or anything for losing. I made that clear in my first post.