FFA Cup 2017

17 hours ago, sonar said:

I'm not having a go at your passion or commitment but it is a bit hard to criticise those fans that have kids who have to go to school the next day .

How about having a go at the organisers of the competition for having midweek games when if they got their act together the games could of been held on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon in glorious Western  Sydney sunshine....and have a full to capacity, standing room only game...!

3000 tickets sold. You telling me  the remaining 12,000 members are families with kids? Thats assuming the 3000 sold are all kid-less.

I wasn't criticising families with kids btw. 

The point of the FFA Cup is freezing your arse off at a suburban ground. Won't feel the same on a sunny Sunday afternoon where we get 5000 because families with kids don't like the 5pm KO because school is on Monday.

My point is. There are always excuses.

15 hours ago, sonar said:

So the FFA Cup is a competition mainly run for the benefit of ....who...?

Foxtel..the NPL clubs, Aleague Clubs, FFA...?.  

( One thing it hasn't done is gripped the imagination of the footballing public.)

lulwut?

Its a resounding success based on the ratings and viewership it gets online as well as its presence on social media during the games. Local clubs playing eachother (the biggest participation ever this year) and the NPL clubs facing HAL sides. Its getting bigger and bigger every year.

There's no point having an FFA Cup match of Bentleigh Greens vs Bayswater at 6pm Saturday at the same time as NRL Semi Final 6. That's how you reduce interest in the competition.

1 hour ago, Erebus said:

lulwut?

Its a resounding success based on the ratings and viewership it gets online as well as its presence on social media during the games. Local clubs playing eachother (the biggest participation ever this year) and the NPL clubs facing HAL sides. Its getting bigger and bigger every year.

There's no point having an FFA Cup match of Bentleigh Greens vs Bayswater at 6pm Saturday at the same time as NRL Semi Final 6. That's how you reduce interest in the competition.

No, you play it 2 or 3 pm.

So the FFA Cup has been played in front of maasive crowds, and the front and back pages of the papers and tv channels,radio stations are all full of how fantastic it is and the rights to the competition are absolutely soaring making the FFA and the NPL and the A league a motza of cash..........? .....lol 

Edited by sonar
2 hours ago, Erebus said:

3000 tickets sold. You telling me  the remaining 12,000 members are families with kids? Thats assuming the 3000 sold are all kid-less.

I wasn't criticising families with kids btw. 

The point of the FFA Cup is freezing your arse off at a suburban ground. Won't feel the same on a sunny Sunday afternoon where we get 5000 because families with kids don't like the 5pm KO because school is on Monday.

My point is. There are always excuses.

I've acquired a family ticket for myself & a mother of 2 kids under 10.

The kids will be home & tucked into bed by 10pm.

It's really no biggie, if you have the desire to attend

Let's just remember midweek football isn't a thing in this country let alone a proper football structure or culture. It is very much growing and we have just scratched the surface.

We have a small but steady membership base, hitting 20k members is great but we can depend on a regular 12-14k each weekend.

Midweek football is a different beast, it isn't just simple as a local team playing out of a local stadium. Traveling all over Western Sydney in peak hour to follow your football team is possible but our culture is not there yet.

We should all look to build on the gains, build on the success of the FFA cup thus far and the small wins like selling 5,000 tickets in 5 days should be taken as a win. 

1 hour ago, Taurus said:

I've acquired a family ticket for myself & a mother of 2 kids under 10.

The kids will be home & tucked into bed by 10pm.

It's really no biggie, if you have the desire to attend

I'll bitch and moan about Sydney traffic for midweek games til the cows come home (and I have been on record doing just that - ACL at C-town a prime example), but I'll still be there ;)

Don't worry sonar, my opinion may very well change in a couple years when/if Erebus Jr is around. 

Anyway, long off-season and all that. This last month is going to be slow AF before we take on the mighty Glory on a Sunday arvo game at SOP. The excitement is astronomical for Rd1.

36 minutes ago, Erebus said:

I'll bitch and moan about Sydney traffic for midweek games til the cows come home (and I have been on record doing just that - ACL at C-town a prime example), but I'll still be there ;)

Don't worry sonar, my opinion may very well change in a couple years when/if Erebus Jr is around. 

Anyway, long off-season and all that. This last month is going to be slow AF before we take on the mighty Glory on a Sunday arvo game at SOP. The excitement is astronomical for Rd1.

I got chewed out by quite a few people on this forum for having the temerity to suggest that members turn up to watch us play at Spotless last season when our crowds were poor to try and add some atmosphere. Excuses were...Kids,Traffic, game time,Spotless is f*ucked, team is sh*t.transport is crap...etc....etc....etc........lol

As I said I would never question your commitment or passion to the red & black, it's just some members passion and commitment is a little bit light red and more grey than black

LOL at the self righteousness of some on here

its easy to be so dedicated when your only commitment is work/uni.

I'd love to go to this game but I won't make it because my son has his basketball grand final (assuming they win next week) just like I didn't make the wellington trial match because I was coaching his 12s football team in the week before a semi final.

Its not the 'home in bed' problem for me its all the stuff kids have on during the week.

parenting >>>>>>>>> midweek preseason football (although it is nice when you can do both at once)

guess I'll just have to live with being labelled a soft derby only fan. lol.

30 minutes ago, lloydy136 said:

LOL at the self righteousness of some on here

its easy to be so dedicated when your only commitment is work/uni.

I'd love to go to this game but I won't make it because my son has his basketball grand final (assuming they win next week) just like I didn't make the wellington trial match because I was coaching his 12s football team in the week before a semi final.

Its not the 'home in bed' problem for me its all the stuff kids have on during the week.

parenting >>>>>>>>> midweek preseason football (although it is nice when you can do both at once)

guess I'll just have to live with being labelled a soft derby only fan. lol.

I won't label you as sawft, because you're acting as a responsible parent & doing what's best for your son. 

Smurfs v CitY selections

redmayne in goal for smurfs, Wiltshire at RB and the rest as expected.

bench has Tom Howard-Belle as backup GK. no Cisak.

Vi$ion with Galekovic as GK, Fitzgerald as Striker and Jamo as left winger

Lucky to be ahead, shouldn't have been a free kick in my eyes. Looked like he was going down before contact, but La Rocca did nick him.

City, they look pretty inept. Apparently they are signing another 9, 10 and CB with Forna still to come back. Redmayne is in goals but you've actually got to test him first :lol: 

16 minutes ago, mack said:

City have been dreadful. Their first shot on target in something like the 85th minute.

vi$ion lost to Adelaide 1-2 in friendly the other day.

so Adelaide won 3-0 over Heidelberg tonight. Looks like the Reds will be a dark horse based on pre-season form against A-league teams.

1 hour ago, JayZko said:

Good hope they get the smurfs next haha I sense the smurfs will have an injury plagued season 

Yeh, the bench depth looked pretty bare but surely they have others to bring on other than carney, Simon & Retre? Great first XI, gun new guy guy but depth?

Also, Redmayne was keeper. Thought they had Cisak?

2 hours ago, mack said:

City have been dreadful. Their first shot on target in something like the 85th minute.

They were horrible from the outset, they were clueless on field, embarrassing really. I don't know what they were doing out there, no forward/striker on the field left them running around like a headless chook. Surely you throw Cahill on there at halftime to give them that something extra?

You worry for the new manager and hope that these new signings coming through will be good for them.

2 hours ago, mack said:

On a positive note it looks like Zullo & Brosque might be hurt.

Can someone confirm whether City started going Kamikaze and taking out players?

Looked like Brosque hurt himself off a corner, just the way he landed? 

The only person I saw deserving of a yellow was Simon within a few minutes of arriving on the field :lol: