Coach and Staff Thread

Corry is staying...

NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers are pleased to announce former Socceroo Zeljko Kalac as head goalkeeper coach for the entire club.
The role will see Kalac coaching at all levels of the club and will incorporate the Hyundai A-League, Westfield W-League and Foxtel Youth League squads as well as the new Wanderers Academy Structure.

After a distinguished playing career that saw him win the UEFA Champions League, UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup, Kalac has extensive A-League experience as a goalkeeper coach and will be an asset to all goalkeepers in the Red & Black.
Fellow goalkeeper coach Davide Del Giovine will join Kalac as an assistant in the goalkeeper coach department.

Wanderers CEO John Tsatsimas said the appointment of Kalac further cemented the Club’s commitment to a genuine elite player pathway for Western Sydney.

“With Zeljko’s role incorporating every level of this club, the youth of Western Sydney will have even greater access to elite-level coaching and an improved player pathway to the Hyundai A-League,†explained Tsatsimas.

“From the ages of 12 all the way to the first-team, Zeljko will be training the best goalkeepers in Western Sydney and that’s a huge win for the region.â€

After a highly successful three seasons with the Hyundai A-League, squad incumbent goalkeeper coach Ron Corry will stay with the Wanderers in a variety of roles including scouting, community coaching and as an ambassador.

Tsatsimas said Corry’s contribution to the club has been priceless.

“Ron played a critical part of our success from day one at the Wanderers and he has the Red & Black coursing through his veins,†said Tsatsimas.

“The passion Ron feels for this club cannot be described in words. He has a rich history in football stretching back to 1964 and we are thankful that he will continue to remain with the Wanderers.â€

Read more at http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/zeljko-kalac-joins-western-sydney-wanderers/1qmntnwdi6vid1pfktbqxqgkyi#5X00czWgdRsesQt1.99

It makes more sense now though. Kalac is head of the entire dept including the academy, youth, women and seniors. That is more work than merely showing up to training to teach the goalkeepers for one team which I believe is what Corry was doing.

People forget that Kalac was at Milan for a few years. He trained with the likes of Kaka, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ronaldinho etc daily. He also was a part of that training structure that AC Milan are renowned for. He would be bringing some of that knowledge with him.

This news angers me. Corry has proven to be the best at what he does in this country. if he has had enough then fine but if he has been forced out in favour of kalac of all people then that is a real concern.

You've just presented two scenarios, one of which you're fine with, so why angry?

There are a hundred possible scenarios, no need to get angry when we have no idea of how things went down.

The day I start paying attention to social media is the day I buy a cat and a Jeep. And become a douche. No offence if anyone has a Jeep, but stop it.

I don't have any social media - was basing my opinion off stew & taurus who both have some degree of inside knowledge.

I stand by my original opinion that kalac fir corry is a move I'm not happy with.

Corry might be staying, but it still looks like he's been pushed aside. At least he has been spared retirement, and he remains within the club.

Considering the scope of Kalac's role, he'll be a busy man, and it makes sense to give the job to someone much younger than Corry. It also makes sense to not give it to Ante either who has no experience in coaching at all. 

Whether we like these developments or not is a different conversation.

Guest riva

the article also mentions Davide Del Giovine is joining as an assistant gk coach...a quick google search says he is also coming from sydney fc with kalac

Wow , wonder we didn't get Arnie as well as a freebie from the smurfs.

Corry might be staying, but it still looks like he's been pushed aside. At least he has been spared retirement, and he remains within the club.

Considering the scope of Kalac's role, he'll be a busy man, and it makes sense to give the job to someone much younger than Corry. It also makes sense to not give it to Ante either who has no experience in coaching at all.

Whether we like these developments or not is a different conversation.

If those are the reasons, and it means the club is thinking big, I'm reasonably happy. I hope corrys new role is not an afterthought though.

It makes more sense now though. Kalac is head of the entire dept including the academy, youth, women and seniors. That is more work than merely showing up to training to teach the goalkeepers for one team which I believe is what Corry was doing.

People forget that Kalac was at Milan for a few years. He trained with the likes of Kaka, Pirlo, Inzaghi, Ronaldinho etc daily. He also was a part of that training structure that AC Milan are renowned for. He would be bringing some of that knowledge with him.

He was also coached by Ron Corry back in SUFC days.

He is 73, and just not able to be as mobile as is needed. As someone rightly mentioned, the emphasis now is on keepers who can play as well as save, and maybe this (as unpleasant a character as Kalac is) is what needs to happen to move the club forward.

Guest riva

Hmmmm,

I wonder where they are getting the money for all of these coaches....

Probably the money they didn't pay the players in Morocco. All these coaches - maybe someone will

remember to get some decent players as well.

Hmmmm,

Probably the money they didn't pay the players in Morocco. All these coaches - maybe someone will

Maybe, 

My point is that the owners have shown a very business-like mentality since they have been there, 

Which isn't a bad thing, you'd rather have Mike Ashley, Glazers or Daniel Levy then whoever let Rangers, Leeds United and Portsmouth go broke.

I've generally supported them whilst their time here, I supported the club and administration during the club world cup pay dispute.

One thing I will not tolerate is the owners treating the fans like a free ATM.

the prices of 2015/16 season tickets will be the true guide as to how the owners view and treat the fans...

Hmmmm,

Lederer's pocket.

Then why squabble over a million during the club world cup pay dispute?

when Lederer could've just paid the money himself?

Guest riva

Hmmmm,

Maybe, 

My point is that the owners have shown a very business-like mentality since they have been there, 

Which isn't a bad thing, you'd rather have Mike Ashley, Glazers or Daniel Levy then whoever let Rangers, Leeds United and Portsmouth go broke.

I've generally supported them whilst their time here, I supported the club and administration during the club world cup pay dispute.

the prices of 2015/16 season tickets will be the true guide as to how the owners view and treat the fans...

Hmmmm,

Lederer's pocket.

Then why squabble over a million during the club world cup pay dispute?

when Lederer could've just paid the money himself?

Business Review Weekly reported that Lederer is worth $635 million. So what a million. Good money in

selling salami.

He no longer sells salami as Primo was sold to the biggest Global food company in Brazil over 6 months back. People need to realise that owning a HAL team is not a smart financial decision and the risk of losing lots of money far outweighs the chance of turning a profit. They run at a loss every time. No club has run at a profit ever since inception (I think??) of the A League but I'm thinking Lederer and Co. are giving it their best shot with all these changes and setting up an academy, we may just see the first ever FFA franchise turn a profit..... Bring on next season, our best is yet to come.  :woah:  :woah:  :woah:  :grouphug:

He no longer sells salami as Primo was sold to the biggest Global food company in Brazil over 6 months back. People need to realise that owning a HAL team is not a smart financial decision and the risk of losing lots of money far outweighs the chance of turning a profit. They run at a loss every time. No club has run at a profit ever since inception (I think??) of the A League but I'm thinking Lederer and Co. are giving it their best shot with all these changes and setting up an academy, we may just see the first ever FFA franchise turn a profit..... Bring on next season, our best is yet to come.  :woah:  :woah:  :woah:  :grouphug:

MVFC and ourselves turned a profit last year.

For a start we needed to wait until the club makes a statement before jumping to conclusions. The amount of times people post as if they have "inside knowledge" on here is incredible. The club has made a statement, Kalac is coming and Corry is staying. A good result.

Now if you read the reports coming up about his departure there are two things that stand out. One is that he has been extremely gracious to both Arnold and SFC for his time at the club and for giving him support during a difficult time in his life. He is also good mates with Arnold as they would have crossed paths at Sydney United and also with the socceroos. Secondly it would have been Popovic who would have enticed him over to the club. It is Popovic who wants him here. It would have been an agonising decision but who says no to Popovic.

As someone who played with Kalac from u6's-u15's and also went to school with him I can tell you that he is as Westie as it comes. Played all his junior Football in Western Sydney first at Luddenham where we both played and were coached by his dad (awesome bloke and coach). He also played some reps for Nepean and also for Sydney United from about 14-15 yrs old. He was one year below me at school at St Agnes HS in Rooty Hill and also JPII (St Andrews college now) in Marayong. He grew up in the Mount Druitt area and then later moved to St Clair.

I saw first hand how ridiculously talented he was as a goalkeeper even as junior. Some of the saves he would pull off in training and in games would leave your jaw dropped to the floor. He was also coached by Ron Corry while he was at Sydney Utd and would have seen an amazing array of goalkeepers while he was at the club. Keepers like Greg Woodhouse, Steve Watson, Mark Bosnich and Tony Franken (my personal favourite). Not to mention the amount of experience he would have drawn from playing at Leicester, Roda JC, Peruggia, AC Milan and finally at Kavala

I know he isnt everyones favourite appointment and it pains me seeing some of the personal issues that he has had to face up to. I just hope he is given a fair shake by the supporters of the club. I know he will do everything possible to make this club successful. Welcome to WSW Zeljk. Good luck.

Wow what a small world Jukes. I went to daggy Aggies and JPII. 5 years ahead of you and Zeljiko but wow, that stopped me in my tracks reading that.

So great to hear of all of the fantastic talent coming out of the Western Sydney. 

Hmmmm,

Maybe, 

the prices of 2015/16 season tickets will be the true guide as to how the owners view and treat the fans. 

This.

I can't wait for the new ticket prices. 

In saying that, all of us as reasonable human beings must understand that business costs usually go up every year and so will product prices. I do agree to pay for an increased membership if the increase is no more than $15 per season, as it was for the previous season. If they can pull off a no increase that would be even better.

Now before someone tells me why I can't afford a membership with a higher increase in ticket prices - I can, actually. I'd pay any money. But that's not the point, is it? The level of price rise would show us the mentality of the owners, whether they're in it for seeing this club develop evenly on all platforms or they want to see their balance sheets in the black at the end of the FY at the cost of their members. Would we be the fans of the best community club in Australia or will we be the merchandise sluts that swipe our cards every time the red and black shows in front of our eyes?

Guest riva

De Marigny has left Victory as assistant coach. Should be snapped up as our assistant coach (replacing

Crook ). IMO much better coach than Rudan. But is he a mate of popa ?

Bigger picture here I think.

Kalac coaches the GKs at the NSW Institute teams.

The majority of our new to be formed PL1 WSW Academy players from ages 13 to 18s in 2016 comp will come from these Institute teams plus other PL1 clubs.

Kalac may have a duel role as the clubs YL GK coach as well as the seniors and in turn keep the existing relationship in place that he has had with the kids for last 2-3 years.

GKs and their kids are a loyal bunch.

Bump

Was always going to happen that Kalac did all the GKs

Those asking where the money is coming from. That's easy. New Youth academy players.

5 teams of 16 players paying $2400 rego each as per FNSW rules. = $192000

Edited by stewballs
  • mack unpinned this topic