Football Marketing/PR Thread

wow looking at those season 1-3 ads, i really missed seeing them on free to air tele. That sort of stuff is killer, these days all we have is shitty sydney fc membership videos. Honestly that video did not move me at all.

The Boza ads you mean?

They weren't intended to move you. They were intended to catch your eye.

I thought they did that cleverly and with humour.

It was different to pretty much all the others, which WERE designed to move you. But they were preaching to the converted. Much as I liked them and found them stirring, the target audience in those ads probably already had their memberships.

Anyway....hope something shows up in a few weeks to add a bit of hype and excitement to the start of the season.

wow looking at those season 1-3 ads, i really missed seeing them on free to air tele. That sort of stuff is killer, these days all we have is shitty sydney fc membership videos. Honestly that video did not move me at all.

Yeah I liked the first ones. Only problem was they were focused on skill when the league was ****! I even like the bit where the fans turn into water. I've got no idea what's going on but it's kinda cool!

But you do point out an important factor - it's where they are played that makes all the difference. Not much point having a decent ad if it only gets played on SBS and at half time of the A-league games on Fox!

Another early one- Presets music works for me..

Walk out song?

:ninja:

Yeah I liked the first ones. Only problem was they were focused on skill when the league was ****! I even like the bit where the fans turn into water. I've got no idea what's going on but it's kinda cool!

But you do point out an important factor - it's where they are played that makes all the difference. Not much point having a decent ad if it only gets played on SBS and at half time of the A-league games on Fox!

Another early one- Presets music works for me..

Walk out song?

:ninja:

Hahahahaha... better than Glor....      you know what....

But not as good as ....

Thanks Btron... my 165th posting of this!!!   :crazy:  :crazy:

Shuddup Jacko!!  :P

suggestion to ffa a-league marketing board. hit us up with a nostalgic advertising campaign using the song from the season 3 ad, reign by unkle using footage to show us how the league has grown since its inception.

From what ive read of the budgets it would suggest that the ffa really has a one shot brand engagement strategy. Meaning pour large $ into single ad production then squeeze the life from remaining media spend. I think the lowe 303 ad featuring unkle/stone roses track including licencing probably cost approx 350k at the time. I like your idea of rerelease. Id suggest bringing in perhaps someone aussie like maybe pendulum to remix the track:)

suggestion to ffa a-league marketing board. hit us up with a nostalgic advertising campaign using the song from the season 3 ad, reign by unkle using footage to show us how the league has grown since its inception.

From what ive read of the budgets it would suggest that the ffa really has a one shot brand engagement strategy. Meaning pour large $ into single ad production then squeeze the life from remaining media spend. I think the lowe 303 ad featuring unkle/stone roses track including licencing probably cost approx 350k at the time. I like your idea of rerelease. Id suggest bringing in perhaps someone aussie like maybe pendulum to remix the track:)

pendulum or knife party would work well imo

Discuss

https://twitter.com/gdhamilton7/status/780151482322518016

I seriously hope they didn't pay a marketing agency money for this. If this is their big marketing campaign they've been talking up, it's piss poor.

The way they're fapping over Cahill is just pathetic now. I don't mind if they highlight him a little bit because I do agree he will bring some attention to the league and get the attention of some casuals who may become converts. But to go to this degree is farcical.

A bunch of people on a football forum have come up with better ideas for A-League advertising. Heaven forbid the FFA actually listened to the fans. If they did, they might have something better than this crap.

Discuss...

14334287_780568292085211_709148606939634

Discuss

https://twitter.com/gdhamilton7/status/780151482322518016

I seriously hope they didn't pay a marketing agency money for this. If this is their big marketing campaign they've been talking up, it's piss poor.

The way they're fapping over Cahill is just pathetic now. I don't mind if they highlight him a little bit because I do agree he will bring some attention to the league and get the attention of some casuals who may become converts. But to go to this degree is farcical.

A bunch of people on a football forum have come up with better ideas for A-League advertising. Heaven forbid the FFA actually listened to the fans. If they did, they might have something better than this crap.

http://outside90.com/ffa-launch-a-league-marketing-campaign/

Looks like it is.

Discuss

That may be the case, but the FFA wants to convert or attract new fans. They already have you as fans and already have you paid up as members irrespective if you loathe the FFA or not. They're interested in building the league for the future so it doesn't fall over when current fans are gone. 

Just like any business really. It's not uncommon for businesses to go over and beyond to attract new customers at the expense of current customers. Look at telcos. 

The FFA have rightly pointed out that there is approximately 2 million Australians involved with football in this country. At the moment, there is only 87,514 members of A-League clubs (http://www.fromthestandsal.com/membership-tracker/) which is representative of 4.37% of the 2 million stated earlier. 

If the campaign is corny but it nets a gradual growth of fans then its doing its job. 

Speccy, I think you've misunderstood my statement. I know they've already got a fan base. I know they are trying to target new fans, but I highly doubt this current campaign will attract them. If that's their aim with this, IMO they've missed the mark.

I'm a marketing/media professional. I could have come up with half a dozen ideas better than this and I'm not even being paid the big bucks to do so. I wish I could find them because they were awesome but about 6 months ago, people on here came up with about two pages of advertising/marketing ideas for the A-League which shat all over this idea. What I'm saying is, if a bunch of people on a football forum can come up with better ideas for advertising the league, it doesn't say much for the professionals they've hired.

There's a way to advertise to attract new fans as well as build hype for the upcoming season. It doesn't have to be one or the other. In fact, if you've got a tight budget like the FFA does, you'd be trying to hit as many target markets as possible with what little you've got.

This campaign is just weird. Surely people should be encouraged to support their local team. As if some bloke from Perth is going to go "oh that's cool, I'm going to choose the Nix as my team".