Coach and Staff Thread

one thing our club has not done yet that is a grandfinal win at the moment we know how strong our rivals are and they have spent there cap money every week just to maintain the team they have ,but there is a manager who has changed the game and kept his cap/ marrkee money,while seeing if the young ones can develop in time and always looking and probing for better players,waiting for the right time to bring them in that time is with us now as the tempo changes the going gets tough the tough get going but our club is in a great position because our rivals are locked in and caped to the limit and we have control of the market ,players can move for what ever reason but they cannot if there is no room in the cap the world is full of players so use your imagination and think out side the box because they are only a plane ride away from home or a new adventure at wanderland  this club is being built the right way for you the people don;t let a slow start curb your attendance and enjoyment because deep down you know you belong to our family together we grow as one  nb you can watch tv and see arnie banarnie chattin but bluff and puff and slogans don;t make a good manager it makes a scared rabbit watch and see this unfold then you will believe that our club is special and run buy special people from the top right the way down to the kids giving away the programs at the turnstiles on game day 

when a great horse trainer wins the melbourne cup he doesn;t win races with that horse before the day when they give out the toilet seat  he waits and spends his time seeing what he is up against then moves into position with his back covered buy the fans 

when a great horse trainer wins the melbourne cup he doesn;t win races with that horse before the day when they give out the toilet seat  he waits and spends his time seeing what he is up against then moves into position with his back covered buy the fans

I can't see how that is relevant at all, let alone whether it is even true

If we always seem to miss out on the good players what makes you think we will be able to get a better coach?

Easy to say sack the coach but you need to have someone better to replace him with.

If Ernie Merrick was given the money to form a squad and create a great club culture, I would go with him. He did well with a small club like Wellington and got them playing some amazing football and really threatening bigger teams. With a big club like Victory he won them titles. He also has a very good knowledge of tactics and could really create a great club culture if he stayed around. Good experience. But I'm in general a fan of his. I think he knows how to pick teams and create tactics to dominate games.

popa said recently "Judge me on results at the end of the season"

In the meantime a short extract from a book by Eduardo Galeano a Uruguayan writer who sadly died earlier this year.

The book Soccer in Sun and Shadow or El Futbol a Sol y Sombra.

In the old days there was the trainer and nobody paid him much heed. He died without a word when the game stopped being a game and professional soccer required a technocracy to keep the players in line. That was when the manager was born. His mission: to prevent improvisation, restrict freedom, and maximize the productivity of the players, who were now obliged to become disciplined athletes.

The trainer used to say, "Let's play."

The manager says, "Let's go to work."

Today they talk in numbers. The history of soccer in the twentieth century, a journey from daring to fear, is a trip from the 2–3–5 to the 5–4–1 by way of the 4–3–3 and the 4–2–2. Any ignoramus could translate that much with a little help, but the rest is impossible. The manager dreams up formulas as mysterious as the Immaculate Conception, which he uses to develop tactical schemes as indecipherable as the Holy Trinity.

From the old blackboard to the electronic screen: now great plays are planned by computer and taught by video. These dream maneuvers are rarely shown when the matches are broadcast. Television prefers to focus on the furrows in the manager's brow. We see him gnawing his fists or shouting instructions that would certainly turn the match around if anyone could understand them.

Journalists pepper him with questions at the postmatch press conference, but he never reveals the secrets of his victories, although he formulates admirable explanations of his defeats. "The instructions were clear, but they didn't listen," he says when the team suffers a big loss to a crummy rival. Or he dispels any doubts by talking about himself in the third person, more or less like this: "The reverses the team suffered today will never mar the achievement of a conceptual clarity that this manager once described as a synthesis of the many sacrifices required to become truly effective."

The machinery of spectacle grinds up everything in its path, nothing lasts very long, and the manager is as disposable as any other product of consumer society. Today the crowd screams, "Never die!" and next Sunday they invite him to kill himself.

The manager believes soccer is a science and the field a laboratory, but the genius of Einstein and the subtlety of Freud is not enough for the owners and the fans. They want a miracle worker like Our Lady of Lourdes, with the stamina of Gandhi.

Excerpted from Soccer in Sun and Shadow. Copyright © 1997 by Eduardo Galeano and Mark Fried, translation. Published in paperback by Nation Books, 2013. Published in ebook by Open Road Media, 2014; available wherever ebooks are sold. By permission of Susan Bergholz Literary Services, New York City and Lamy, NM. All rights reserved.

Reply1 replies

The board need to ask Popa if he has a plan to:

1) Recruit 5 quality foreigners.

2) Recruit a 15 goal a season striker.

3) Recruit 1 quality goalkeeper.

4) Fix our set piece defence.

5) Start scoring more goals from our set pieces.

6) Adjust his tactics so we can start beating SFC & Victory again.

7) Win a grand final.

It's laughable that you don't think Popa has a plan that is transparent to the club, despite 5 years of evidence to the contrary. Just listen to any interview with Lyall, JT and co. about the man.

The common cry of the PopaOut brigade is around recruitment, like it's just as easy as saying, "hey, come play for us." We have allegedly attempted to sign Scott McDonald, Dudu, MacLaren, et. al. but failed each time for whatever reason. Is that down to Popa? Shouldn't we be saying JT-Out? Clean out the BoD? Sack the lot of them?

Okay fine. He has plans. That aren't working. So the board need to ask "are you updating your plans to fix these issues".

Why are our set pieces garbage? Why are we constantly recruiting **** foreigners? Why are we constantly forcing out players months into their contracts? Is the punishing training regime working now? Why are we outside the top 6? Why are getting week after week of "we're improving every week" while SFC are unbeaten and 5 games ahead of us? Why are we getting smashed by 3+ goals by major rivals? Why do we play 4-2-3-1 no matter what the situation is?

If his plans aren't working, the board need to ask what are his new plans and what will he be changing.

The board need to ask Popa if he has a plan to:

1) Recruit 5 quality foreigners.

2) Recruit a 15 goal a season striker.

3) Recruit 1 quality goalkeeper.

4) Fix our set piece defence.

5) Start scoring more goals from our set pieces.

6) Adjust his tactics so we can start beating SFC & Victory again.

7) Win a grand final.

It's laughable that you don't think Popa has a plan that is transparent to the club, despite 5 years of evidence to the contrary. Just listen to any interview with Lyall, JT and co. about the man.

The common cry of the PopaOut brigade is around recruitment, like it's just as easy as saying, "hey, come play for us." We have allegedly attempted to sign Scott McDonald, Dudu, MacLaren, et. al. but failed each time for whatever reason. Is that down to Popa? Shouldn't we be saying JT-Out? Clean out the BoD? Sack the lot of them?

That's the thing though that is annoying about the Popa worshipping brigade. Blame the players, blame the board, just not Popa. They'll shift the blame to anywhere but Popa. Yeah, it's not all Popa's doing, but then a lot of it is. I've got no problem with everyone being held accountable (including the coach). Do you?

Anyway at least we are getting some action now with player signings. Let's see how the team and coach reacts?

If we always seem to miss out on the good players what makes you think we will be able to get a better coach?

Easy to say sack the coach but you need to have someone better to replace him with.

Yeah it's a good point.

There's certainly no Aussie at the same level. Merrick I think would be a very dangerous appointment. Has he got what it takes to lead another big Aussie club.

As for os coaches, we're not going to get a top European coach or proven coach in their pomp.

So we're looking for unproven or 2nd level coaches at best.

Then they're going to have to come over and learn to work within the cap, squad restrictions, Australian conditions etc.

Meanwhile we have a local boy, loves the club, proven winner in this league, who is experiencing a rough patch. He's built the club, he understands the environment and salary cap etc, and it looks like he's part of a group of leaders who are learning and prepared to change what they are doing. And yet some want him gone without giving him a decent chance to turn it around.

We could have our own - dare I compare - Alex Ferguson here. And just like Sir Alex people will want to sack him if he doesn't win the next derby.

Ridiculous.

Unless Popa sees himself out he ain't going anywhere. There won't be a change of coach because of public opinion.

Good. The emotions of fans clouds their judgement. What's that saying "if you listen to the fans you'll end up sitting with them"

one day you mite understand and see the level of thought that popa puts into his role then you mite look between the lines of my post and discover the truth and relevance kind sir

For the opinion of no other coaches out there...

there would be plenty of 'coaches' who have only had a few years of assistant coach experience. If you think about your opinion, you wouldn't have signed Popa on day 1.

I probably wouldn't have. Unless he was unbelievably impressive when discussing his plans or I already knew the guy and what a winner he is. I've recruited heaps of people at all levels in all sorts of jobs and some people just stand out when you discuss the role with them.

So yeah some other guy might be out there. But why risk it without giving a guy who you know can do it the chance to learn and grow?

This stuff about how you can't be up there every year because of the salary cap is a load of bull dust for me. Victory is pretty much up there every year in the top 6, as is Brisbane Roar. Those teams rarely ever finish outside the top 6. If we finish 8th or 9th this year, it is not because of the salary cap. It is because we are an inconsistent club. Clubs like Victory and Roar are consistent.

How can you not be successful every season.... its a ***** 10 team league.... you are guarenteed finals every year so long as you have a squad good enough to finish ahead of the phoneix, jets, mariners who have struggled to find consistency. League success is acheivable but it also amounts to money spent on players and bits of luck going your way throughout the season.

one day you mite understand and see the level of thought that popa puts into his role then you mite look between the lines of my post and discover the truth and relevance kind sir

You're right, when Popa wins the Melbourne Cup I'll eat my words

the grand final trophy is whats on offer the quote about the melbourne cup is where the grandfinal will be played this year 

the grand final trophy is whats on offer the quote about the melbourne cup is where the grandfinal will be played this year 

Flemington?

• mack unpinned this topic