Sydney FC: Season 2017/18

5 minutes ago, Carns said:

Anyone know what the rules are re: injury replacement players and outside cap payments? I ask because if they try and replace Grant, can they sign someone using his entire wage (which includes concessions for loyalty payments due to being at the club +5 years)? Or can they only use the portion of cap money allocated to Grant?

It could potentially be a difference of $50-100k+ in wages (as the loyalty component is up to $200k).

May not be an issue as the only listed Australian RBs as free agents are Cole, Aryn Williams and Wiltshire. They would have to Calver or bring in a visa player (unlikely for RB)

4 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

May not be an issue as the only listed Australian RBs as free agents are Cole, Aryn Williams and Wiltshire. They would have to Calver or bring in a visa player (unlikely for RB)

I'm sure there are plenty of players not getting any game time they can try and coax home. But, if they're playing OS, they are likely earning more money than ESFC can offer anyway. Really, it should be about offering consistent game time (particularly in a World Cup year).

5 minutes ago, Carns said:

I'm sure there are plenty of players not getting any game time they can try and coax home. But, if they're playing OS, they are likely earning more money than ESFC can offer anyway. Really, it should be about offering consistent game time (particularly in a World Cup year).

http://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2017/07/13/grant-set-miss-entire-league-season

no more Referees not giving Grant yellow or red cards because he won't be playing.

2 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Well, Estelle can laugh all she likes, but Redders was deemed to have deserved the Man of the Match by Arsene Wenger in his post match interview!!

Bet AW wished he hadn't let him slip out of his clutches all those years ago! :lol:

http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/western-sydney-wanderers/the-email-that-shattered-andrew-redmaynes-hopes-of-playing-for-arsenal-20160715-gq6tne.html

PS I felt delighted for him tbh!

He'll remember that game as the highlight of his career....probably.

Knowing the FFA, the answer will whatever helps SFC.

I doubt the FFA thought of this when thinking up their wacky bonus schemes, or if they did, they would just decide later when it happened for the first time.

The simplest solution for the FFA will be to stick to the "you can pay a replacement up to whatever you were paying the injured player" which would mean it includes cap reductions. It also helps SFC which as we know is what the FFA prefer to do.

So it begins...

Vukovic gone, and no matter who they get they will not play as well as he did last year, he was playing as well as any keeper anywhere. Even had Vukovic stayed, odds are his performances would drop a bit.

Now Grant. 

With the salary cap, squad restrictions and visa limits, this shows just how hard it is to go back-to-back and why no-one's done it. It'll take a monumental effort and if Arnie manages it, you'd have to say he's the best A-league coach there has been. Everyone says Ange, but Arnie's won the league with two different teams. To go back to back would top it off. 

How many reigning champions have to resort to offering free tickets to their first home game, btw, a-league, get your data analysis correct, ive received this because i bought tickets to saturdays game, so apparently im interested in making SFC 'my' team, im not ******* yoshi:

TRY THE SKY BLUES FOR FREE!

We know you love your football, but you NEED a Hyundai A-League team to call your own, and we’re giving you a chance to try the Sky Blues for FREE!

We’re happy to offer you and a friend complimentary tickets to see the reigning Champions at our first match at home in Season 2017/18 and we’re sure we’ll convert you once and for all to make Sydney FC your team!

On 15/05/2017 at 7:33 AM, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

that doesn't mean anything.

i really doubt money is a big issue for the guy. his future would be secure enough to play wherever he wants.

i wouldn't be surprised if he returned to the J-league to play for Gamba Osaka or Nagoya Grampus again.

please let it be Nagoya

Seeing as Gignac was the previous highest paid player on €4m, I wouldn't be surprised to see him easily become the leagues highest earning player.

The thing is guy, with these players how much is enough? If they earn an extra couple of million that could see them look after family, retire more comfortably or do that pet project they've always dreamt of doing. They are never happy 

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently, Alex Cisak (GK) has signed with the smurfs.

current squad size is 17 if so, including Rhyan Grant.

vukovic, Ibini, Holosko, Dimitrejivic with Grant out injured makes for a thin squad, at least on the right wing and right back as well GK especially if Wenger takes Redmayne 😏

They had one injury, which wasn't a hindrance, last season in losing Ryall.

Luke Wilkshire signs one-year deal with Sydney FC

Sydney FC have bolstered their midfield and defence with the signature of former Socceroos utility Luke Wilkshire for the upcoming A-League season.
The 35-year-old has been a free agent since leaving Russian Premier League side Dynamo Moscow at the end of last season.

As much as I like it when ex Socceroos come back to the HAL: the Wilkshire signing has all the trimmings of the next installment of Luca$h/Grella debacles. 

He's had quite visible weight problems in recent years, has played a mere 12 competitive games over the last 24 months, and his market value has consequently slipped below 100k. He won't know what hit him when he steps out into the Perth sun, the Brisbane humidity, and is trying to keep up with pacey wingers.

I feel sorry for him already.

Will be very interesting to see how the Smurfs shape up. Wilkshire is getting on and not very match fit (obviously has the raw ability to be very good, providing he's not cooked) and Cisak was dropped after conceding 45 in 28 in a relegated team.

Just now, Carns said:

Will be very interesting to see how the Smurfs shape up. Wilkshire is getting on and not very match fit (obviously has the raw ability to be very good, providing he's not cooked) and Cisak was dropped after conceding 45 in 28 in a relegated team.

I don't know anything about Cisak's ability.  Given his team was relegated maybe his stats are more a reflection of the team he played for rather than his ability?  They seem to have taken a long time to decide he was the problem.

9 minutes ago, Edinburgh said:

I don't know anything about Cisak's ability.  Given his team was relegated maybe his stats are more a reflection of the team he played for rather than his ability?  They seem to have taken a long time to decide he was the problem.

He's been a fringe Socceroo, and Crawley knows what he is doing, so he's obviously got some potential. Jamie Young came from 6th tier England and did OK. He won't be a Vuka straight away though.

5 hours ago, FCB said:

As much as I like it when ex Socceroos come back to the HAL: the Wilkshire signing has all the trimmings of the next installment of Luca$h/Grella debacles. 

He's had quite visible weight problems in recent years, has played a mere 12 competitive games over the last 24 months, and his market value has consequently slipped below 100k. He won't know what hit him when he steps out into the Perth sun, the Brisbane humidity, and is trying to keep up with pacey wingers.

I feel sorry for him already.

I think it'll be more like what happened with Emerton.

He was so bad that SFC forced him to retire so they could get his cap space back for next season.

1 hour ago, Prydzopolis said:

:rofl: 

City are still getting be advantage this year, Cahill goes under the cap this year as  they front loaded his salary into last year (with the FFA paying some of it). The FFA managed to it only distort last years comp but this years as well.

For what City's attendance actually fell, there was little disernable benefit to other teams when city played away too

also next year he is payed as a coach (despite having no qualifications) 

who cares red about the shirt bit it's only Sydney 

Yes id be annoyed if somebody else wanted red and black hoops

Edited by StringerBellend