Australian National Discussion V3

mack

On 27/01/2018 at 9:51 AM, btron3000 said:

Osiek was pumped twice in a row and sacked.

Also, those games were against Brazil and France.

Angel played against Brazil too and we got pumped as well, the scoreline wasn't as bad but it was as inept a performance, they just eased off because it was a friendly in front of our fans and they were probably jetlagged. 

Agree with all the posts above, Ange is incredibly lucky that his name hasn't gone down as the one who failed to get us to a World Cup. There was not a single performance since the Asian Cup that hinted at anything other than us getting absolutely hammered in Russia. It's mind boggling to me that there still seem to be some people out there who think that, despite that, he would have miraculously turned it all around just in time for the group stage. 

Bert may or may not improve our fortunes, but from what I read about him he's a realist, not wedded to some utopian vision of playing like the Harlem Globetrotters without the cattle. The Dutch run to the final proves it.

Speaking of which, I read an interesting comment from some Dutch guy somewhere (Guardian I think) who said that Van Marwijk actually told his team at half time in the final to stop being so physical. And that he was never a fan of De Jong but ran out of options for people to play in that role. 

https://theworldgame.sbs.com.au/article/2018/01/29/van-marwijk-pragmatic-move-says-postecoglou

What a gronk. Refused to discuss tactics when he was here, then refused to answer questions about why he was leaving/had left. Now more than happy to talk about the new coach.  Show some respect for yourself and shut up again mate, you've got a new team to coach.

Edited by btron3000

Why does anyone care what he thinks now? You didn't wanna do it anymore mate, let the guy who does do his job. Can you imagine Ange's reaction if they started interviewing Holger Osieck about what he thought of Ange when he first got hired?

Love the sly digs about his pragmatism etc...I'm sure World Cup finalist Bert Van Marwijk, whose team finished ahead of Ange's in the same qualifying, really gives a **** what Ange thinks. 

As has been clear for so long, the man absolutely loves himself. Him leaving was about protecting his legacy. 

22 minutes ago, luisenrique said:

Why does anyone care what he thinks now? You didn't wanna do it anymore mate, let the guy who does do his job. Can you imagine Ange's reaction if they started interviewing Holger Osieck about what he thought of Ange when he first got hired?

Love the sly digs about his pragmatism etc...I'm sure World Cup finalist Bert Van Marwijk, whose team finished ahead of Ange's in the same qualifying, really gives a **** what Ange thinks. 

As has been clear for so long, the man absolutely loves himself. Him leaving was about protecting his legacy. 

Have to wholeheartedly agree.

Imagine if Postecoglou got pragmatic for some away games? Automatic qualification, no heart breaking playoffs (which actually worked to improve our FIFA ranking from 50 to where it is now).

He is a good coach but just like most of them, stubborn like a mule. For other examples Popa and Muscat (both with no plan B, just plan A better).

The new guy looks to be a little more adaptable is you look at how he got Saudi Arabia to perform.

• 1 month later...

Apparently, Graham Arnold is to leave the Smurfs at the end of the season to become the national team manager for the Asian Cup and beyond according to Tom Smithies.

The Roos will be carded off the pitches and if he selects Rhyan Grant, we will be in for a lot if straight reds.

Let’s be honest, the writing has been on the wall. They’ve wanted an Australian manager & there is nobody else who at this moment is good enough.

Muscat & Popa, not only both not experienced enough but both lack the tactical flexibility yet & perhaps that comes down to experience or growth as a manager. Doesn’t look great either when you look how Muscat has stagnated at Victory & Popa hasn’t had success as of late.

I would have been happier had the announcement been made a month ago but now I’m very concerned. It’s clear that Arnie has outcoached many of the teams (minus Newcastle who has really been the only team to test him), the team recruitment spot on, tactical flexibility & a fantastic mentality/culture instilled in the team. The last few ACL games have shown the gap between Australia & Asia, not just on the pitch but being out coached too. Doesn’t fill me with confidence post World Cup.

3 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Let’s be honest, the writing has been on the wall. They’ve wanted an Australian manager & there is nobody else who at this moment is good enough.

If you want to add a bit of " colour " and sideline excitement, Kenny Lowe would be great for the entertainment value alone....lol

11 minutes ago, Prydzopolis said:

Muscat & Popa, not only both not experienced enough but both lack the tactical flexibility yet & perhaps that comes down to experience or growth as a manager. Doesn’t look great either when you look how Muscat has stagnated at Victory & Popa hasn’t had success as of late.

I would have been happier had the announcement been made a month ago but now I’m very concerned. It’s clear that Arnie has outcoached many of the teams (minus Newcastle who has really been the only team to test him), the team recruitment spot on, tactical flexibility & a fantastic mentality/culture instilled in the team. The last few ACL games have shown the gap between Australia & Asia, not just on the pitch but being out coached too. Doesn’t fill me with confidence post World Cup.

He has a horrible record on international level for both national and club.

The ACL should have been the defining moment of Arnie's coaching credibility and in 2 of 3 games he's been exposed. It's a shame no one in the media is asking questions about his record against Asian oppositions

Call me a traitor, but I'm kinda hoping he ****s up majorly in the Asian cup cycle in the first two years so that he gets the boot. 

Obviously if he goes really well that's fine with me too...but the worst case scenario is he does ok, not great but not bad enough for his mates to fire him, and we have him for a World Cup.

Luckily as things stand that World Cup will be the Qatar farce that no-one will be watching. Actually in that sense it's the perfect appointment.

As long as he’s learnt from publicly berating your players then happy to give him a chance 

I think Arnold’s become more of a wanker because he’s been been in a culture of wankers over in the east 

maybe once he’s removed from there he will level out a bit

its not an easy job there is next to nothing coming through I mean the media is frothing over arzani and he’s done nothing I’ve talked him up but don’t think we should be pinning our future on him yet 

1 hour ago, GunnerWanderer said:

As long as he’s learnt from publicly berating your players then happy to give him a chance 

I think Arnold’s become more of a wanker because he’s been been in a culture of wankers over in the east 

maybe once he’s removed from there he will level out a bit

its not an easy job there is next to nothing coming through I mean the media is frothing over arzani and he’s done nothing I’ve talked him up but don’t think we should be pinning our future on him yet 

I highly doubt it. Arnie was a wanker when he was coaching CCM too

46 minutes ago, Jukes75 said:

He was probably worst at the Mariners I think. I think being at Sydney Fc mellowed him a bit.

I can just see right now the moment the national team does badly at some point that he starts going off and blaming everyone but himself.

5 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

4 hours ago, Jukes75 said:

3 hours ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

He was probably worst at the Mariners I think. I think being at Sydney Fc mellowed him a bit.

I can just see right now the moment the national team does badly at some point that he starts going off and blaming everyone but himself.

Arnie hasn't changed. He has nothing to whinge about right now and is still making excuses (gastro/squad sizes/no youth coming through) when things slightly don't go his way.

Give him the pressure of a Asian Cup campaign or World Cup quals which don't go his way (and all of the eyes of the Australian football public and media on him) and he'll revert straight back to type.

He'll be as bad or worse than Ange in that regard.

I personally believe that A-league is his level. But he's the best Australian available at the moment (based on record in the A-league), so we wait and see how he goes.

I assume FFA being tightarses/broke is the reason why we don't look for a long term foreign manager?

Couple of things I find highly amusing......Arnie claimed that players from all over the world are knocking on his door wanting to play for Sydney FC and who do they end up with? Ferriera and Warland !!   FFA conduct a worldwide search for a new Socceroos coach with input from a variety of experts and they end up with......Arnie !!

35 minutes ago, Carns said:

I assume FFA being tightarses/broke is the reason why we don't look for a long term foreign manager?

Another reason these clowns have to go. Gallop on 1.2million, millions spent on consultants, who knows how much on lawyers to fight this battle for them. At some point they have to realise that it’s not their money, it’s the football public’s money, and the owners of the A-league’s money, and they need to be spending it on FOOTBALL.

Of course. But it’s an investment. And there will always be decent coaches willing to coach for less in the hope of winning a major tournament like an Asian Cup etc.

Many countries around the world have less money than us but manage to hire decent coaches. Are they better than Arnold for the Aus job? Maybe, maybe not. But to not wait and see what’s out there is craziness.

• 2 weeks later...
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic