WSW Club Thread 2021

mack

Should never have sacked Babel when they did. He was a clear long term play with a mapped out strategy and we were told as such in one of those motivational addresses from JT. The first sign of difficulty the club panicked and jumped ship without any contingency. None of the managers we have had since are any sort of upgrade, I actually think they’re a downgrade to be honest. Clubs that hire and fire managers never get anywhere. 

4 hours ago, hughsey said:

Should never have sacked Babel when they did. He was a clear long term play with a mapped out strategy and we were told as such in one of those motivational addresses from JT. The first sign of difficulty the club panicked and jumped ship without any contingency. None of the managers we have had since are any sort of upgrade, I actually think they’re a downgrade to be honest. Clubs that hire and fire managers never get anywhere. 

No contingency for a post popa world is what has lead us down this path.

But then the club didn't bank on popa being a dirty splitter i don't suppose...

We threw away all the work and momentum from the first 3 years. 

Edited by Smoggy
6 hours ago, Smoggy said:

No contingency for a post popa world is what has lead us down this path.

But then the club didn't bank on popa being a dirty splitter i don't suppose...

We threw away all the work and momentum from the first 3 years. 

The last popa season was crap too

The Jumpy, Pinatares, Borda season at sop was a disaster we have never really recovered from 

Unfortunately there  has  been no consistency since the second season. Too much choping and changing of players, rather than developing with the players we had. No opportunity to gel. I think that reaching our third GF was more good luck than good management.

32 minutes ago, HillsPanther said:

Unfortunately there  has  been no consistency since the second season. Too much choping and changing of players, rather than developing with the players we had. No opportunity to gel. I think that reaching our third GF was more good luck than good management.

Agree about the chopping and changing players but the season 4 team was a very good side. You don't come back from 0-3 in a semi unless you can play. THAT team was gutted by Popa at seasons end. We have been mediocre since.

1 hour ago, sonar said:

Agree about the chopping and changing players but the season 4 team was a very good side. You don't come back from 0-3 in a semi unless you can play. THAT team was gutted by Popa at seasons end. We have been mediocre since.

I don't disagree that this was a great team. But when you chop and change then you need some luck to be able to end up with the right players.

15 hours ago, sonar said:

This 

season 4 was sexual

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, mack said:

New fixtures released:

• Roar Away - Saturday 3 April
  • Mariners Home - Tuesday 6 April
  • Adelaide away - Saturday 10 April
  • Roar home - Friday 16 April
  • Victory away - Friday 23 April
  • Smurfs home - Saturday 1 May
  • WU home - Saturday 8 May
  • Perth away - Sunday 16 May

Unfortunately the game against the Sea-Poachers is on a Tuesday. Would have been better to be a weekend game.

But at least all the others are on a weekend.

3 hours ago, mack said:

New fixtures released:

• Roar Away - Saturday 3 April
  • Mariners Home - Tuesday 6 April
  • Adelaide away - Saturday 10 April
  • Roar home - Friday 16 April
  • Victory away - Friday 23 April
  • Smurfs home - Saturday 1 May
  • WU home - Saturday 8 May
  • Perth away - Sunday 16 May

Victory away looking good

I don't need much to want to go to Melbourne and I still have $200 travel credit to use...

Had flights and accommodation booked for the original date (23/5) of the Perth away game. Now they've moved it a week forward, and I can't change my plans :pappoiya:

I understand COVID, but seriously, why not try and keep unaffected games somewhat the same (same weekend, different time, day etc.) and slot in the postponed early games around them. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this boat to have made plans around the original fixture which have now been stuffed around. 

I'll still go, but it probably means I might miss a home game now and I won't be able to cross HBF off my Wanderers away list. 

6 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

Looks like the club is starting the Girls Academy. 

Goes with the restructuring of the Football NSW womens competitions

https://footballnsw.com.au/2021/03/16/football-nsw-womens-and-girls-competition-structure-announced/

Looks like their aiming for NPL Women's teams.

Despite the rumours it doesn't look like FC or ourselves will get a gig in that setup in 2022.

47 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

Despite the rumours it doesn't look like FC or ourselves will get a gig in that setup in 2022.

NPLW 1 goes from 12 to 14 teams with top 2 teams in NPLW 2 to be promoted. 

NPLW 2 expands to 15 teams. There are currently 11 teams in the competition. No reserve grade in this competition. 

The junior competitions are expanded from U14, U15 and U17s to be similar to the boys competitions with u14, U15, U16 and U18.

Lots of details but this means that there is room for 6 more teams IF the applicants meet entry criteria for NPLW. 

The biggest problem is are there enough players to match the number of teams.

On a side note, my niece was playing SAP in mixed competition for a certain club in the Hills District. That club applied for NPLW and nearly got in but for the recent review. My niece would be perfect for a Wanderers Girls Academy team but trialled late last year for an NPLW 1 team in the u14s and was successful at age 12. She had been playing mixed SAP.

16 hours ago, Paul01 said:

NPLW 1 goes from 12 to 14 teams with top 2 teams in NPLW 2 to be promoted. 

NPLW 2 expands to 15 teams. There are currently 11 teams in the competition. No reserve grade in this competition. 

The junior competitions are expanded from U14, U15 and U17s to be similar to the boys competitions with u14, U15, U16 and U18.

Lots of details but this means that there is room for 6 more teams IF the applicants meet entry criteria for NPLW. 

The biggest problem is are there enough players to match the number of teams.

Cash grab nothing more, taking talented girls out of the Association just for the sake of it is a waste of time.  Conference League is weaker than most decent Assoc Div 1 football, when you are only getting 20 or so for trials you know its not elite.  Too many Clubs for mine and not truly elite at the lower levels.

So the halfway point of the season has just ticked over so thought it was time for a half year report card.

Finding ourselves sitting in second spot is nice although a little flattering, not sure we have been anywhere near the second best team in the League and with games in hand everywhere that probably is the case but a solid start none the less for mine.

The Good

Margush - when Lopar left I felt there was a massive hole we would need to fill but this bloke has been outstanding.  Sure he is not as dominant in the air as some but what he lacks there he more than makes up for everywhere else.  One of the unsung highlights of the year for me so far. The fact we barely talk about him is a massive positive for mine but he does deserve massive credit

Gordon - was unsure when we signed Gordon but every week this bloke puts in and gives whatever he has got cant ask for any more than that, at 27 a future permanent club captain if he sticks around.

Kids and Depth - this year it seems like those clubs who nurtured kids have some kind of advantage and with Tass, Russel, Wilmering, Natta, Bacchus, Aquilina all featuring regularly it has helped us plug some of the holes that other clubs have, we need to be realistic though these kids are all going to have the occasional shocker as well so we need to cop that.  I think our bench is as strong as we have ever had due to this.

Heart - I had heard the whole 'playing for the shirt line' every season but for once I think that has been the case, sure there have been times when we are below our best but for the most part, considering we have been conceding so early most games and got back into them I always feel as if we are a chance and that has been lacking for a few seasons.

The Not so good

Forwards - with the strike power on paper the fact we have not really settled on a starting two is alarming.  The arrival of Duke has been massive and I shudder to think where we would really be without that signing.

Troisi and Ibini - others may disagree but I thought after 12 rounds we would of had more from both of these guys

Central Defence - think we are still soft in the belly and our central defenders are capable of the howler, seen a few this season already.  We need that dominant organising player here that the other good Clubs have.

Conceding Early - plenty said about it already, it is frustrating. 

As for the other Clubs - CCM are up there but I am just waiting for them to fall but they keep defying the odds, even the loss to City was not that bad as they hung in there and for me City are streets ahead of anyone else in the League. They will both be up there although CCM with their lack of depth may start to fall a bit when the games heat up at the back end, although I keep thinking that and they keep on going.  AU have surprised me I thought they were just ok but since Goodwin has come on board they look like a real threat, he stays fit they go well.  Everyone else I reckon (including WSW) could win or lose to each other on any given day, except Victory, popa or no popa they are shite, when you think Kruse is going to be your saviour you have a real issue as a Club.

As for us I don't feel we are a title threat although I do like what CR is doing and with improvement we may get there barring an absolute embarrassing tail end we should play finals football.  We also seem to be on the improve which is a good thing to be saying this time of year, there are a few teams which I think are where they are, while at their best (Bulls, Roar, Nix, WU) while I think we have more to give. 

3 hours ago, scarcev said:

Cash grab nothing more, taking talented girls out of the Association just for the sake of it is a waste of time.  Conference League is weaker than most decent Assoc Div 1 football, when you are only getting 20 or so for trials you know its not elite.  Too many Clubs for mine and not truly elite at the lower levels.

Yeah I'd have to agree; my daughter played WNPL1 equivalent in the 2000s and it was getting bad then; I can only imagine that with girls SAP etc it's getting worse

1 hour ago, billybob said:

Wasn't sure where to put this.

With the lockdown of Brisbane again due to COVID, has there been any communications about our game there on Saturday? I have heard what League and AFL are doing, but nothing ever mentioned the A-League (not that i am surprised). 

Is the venue outside the lockdown area? But even so, I expect we'd have to go via Brisbane airport to get there.

2 hours ago, mack said:

The Brisbane NRL team flew to Sydney last night. Roar's next three games are WSW in Brisbane then Macarthur & WSW in Sydney.

Too late for the Roar to get into Sydney now right?

No NRL game at Bankwest this weekend

Alas what could have been 

• mack changed the title to WSW Club Thread 2021
  • mack locked this topic