AFL/NRL Bashing & Laughing at GWS Thread 2

If you read that statement today, they're saying 70% swans fans, but they're not saying 30% Giants fans. Then they're going on to say, Spotless will be fine for GWS even if 6000 traveling fans come (not that they will). They know. Remember when they released that data about how many of their members are actually fans of other clubs first and foremost?

I am more than happy for GWS to remain and waste as many dollars for the AFL as possible. Nothing makes me happier. In fact we all know that Western Sydney is a football town and always will be. Who knows how many millions the AFL has lost since they set up shop. Long may it continue.

Lastly the AFL has probably reached its Zenith. Seriously can they fit more teams in the competition. They have little or no juniors playing, they need to invent a new game like AFLx in order to continue their growth, they have 10 or more teams losing money......WTF. They get a 2.5B deal and they are unsustainable. The future is not as bright as they think. Lets hope they pour millions into AFLx and it dies in the ass. Then the inevitable pullback of major loss making clubs like the Sun's and GWS. While AFL's fortunes fall I will expect football to keep growing. No false Dawn's this time, this is the best they will ever be. Smell the fear and the panic.

Edited by Jukes01

Manfred, could of things about stadiums. The proposed redevelopment of Homebush is for a 65,000 rectangular stadium, so no-one will be getting 80k.

Second, I'd anticipate that AFL's strategy in Sydney will not be to build more stadiums, but to team up with SCG trust to stop redevelopment of ANZ and put money into SCG precinct. With the funding in question for the entire stadium strategy, pulling out of the redevelopment is still an option, isn't it?

I am more than happy for GWS to remain and waste as many dollars for the AFL as possible. Nothing makes me happier. In fact we all know that Western Sydney is a football town and always will be. Who knows how many millions the AFL has lost since they set up shop. Long may it continue.

Lastly the AFL has probably reached its Zenith. Seriously can they fit more teams in the competition. They have little or no juniors playing, they need to invent a new game like AFLx in order to continue their growth, they have 10 or more teams losing money......WTF. They get a 2.5B deal and they are unsustainable. The future is not as bright as they think. Lets hope they pour millions into AFLx and it dies in the ass. Then the inevitable pullback of major loss making clubs like the Sun's and GWS. While AFL's fortunes fall I will expect football to keep growing. No false Dawn's this time, this is the best they will ever be. Smell the fear and the panic.

There is a lot of truth in this high water mark argument Jukes. The point about being unable to fit more teams into their comp is very telling, as we all know that they can't expand any further in almost all states and territories (perhaps WA may have one more club in it at best). They refuse to go to Tasmania, and of course the Manuka Midgets is a half way bet for the ACT. There is even less of an imperative to go to the NT, where AFL has a solid following, and could they replicate a Phoenix or Warriors?

LOLOLOL...course not!

Also, regarding broadcast revenue, the traditional models of FTA rights etc are becoming less and less stable. when the next broadcast deal for them comes up in a few years time who knows how broadcast media will be structured in this country.

Then there is the parochialism of the sport versus a population that is becoming more and more diverse and globally aware. In some ways this may be potentially positive, insofar as aerial ping pong will be seen as the hold out of 'traditional Australian/Victorian values'. However it is having to continually reinvent either its structures, systems or image to retain some degree of flexibility in the face of challenges coming from other sports and social change. This whole AFL-X farce is a screaming example of this. In the process of trying to shift it gives its traditional fans more and more cause to complain about what they see as unnecessary changes.

What is (in my opinion) most revealing about their misguided aims regarding the long term strategy of trying to become Australia's dominant football code is they are basing so much of their argument on either believing in certain constants, or failing to break through on issues they've struggled with for decades. For example, there is the desire to push forward in expanding the game outside of Victoria without losing any more Melbourne based clubs. Considering the fragility of many of those clubs financially or in terms of results (e.g. Richmond, Melbourne, North Melbourne) how can they go forward and yet risk losing their heartland? 

Then there is the multiculturalism issue. We all laugh and joke at their pathetic attempts to create a buzz for the sport among non-Anglos, throwing in a Sudanese player here, several Kooris there. However Australia is not the 'white man's paradise' of the 19th & 20th Century anymore. We are a polyglot, multicultural, multi-racial cosmopolitan country, where Indians, Vietnamese, Iraqis, Chileans, Polish and Timorese etc etc mix together in areas like western Sydney. That is our country's demographic future, and Australian Rules has continued to fail when it comes to engaging with these and most other non-Caucasian western European ethnic groups. It may be that the likes of the 'Ban the mosque' or banana throwing morons in their crowds are a tiny minority, but they are reflective of the Anglo-Australian dominant social and cultural audience for the sport.

For every decade they think they can encroach on the other codes and become dominant in Oz, there will be the same encroachment on their reality from sundry other forces. One of those will be our preferred football code, and as you say Jukes...

Smell the fear and the panic.

Manfred, could of things about stadiums. The proposed redevelopment of Homebush is for a 65,000 rectangular stadium, so no-one will be getting 80k.

Second, I'd anticipate that AFL's strategy in Sydney will not be to build more stadiums, but to team up with SCG trust to stop redevelopment of ANZ and put money into SCG precinct. With the funding in question for the entire stadium strategy, pulling out of the redevelopment is still an option, isn't it?

According to this report ANZ is getting redeveloped to 75K...okay, not 80K, but certainly still more than the SCG's 48-50k

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/state-politics/anz-stadium-nsw-government-to-fund-major-rebuild-of-anz-stadium/news-story/e1ad3a42f1f2e23f4e60c76c212e4a49

As for the AFL to work more closely with the SCG trust to get changes implemented in their favour, unless Mike Baird gets tossed out between now and 2019 (when the work is supposed to start) I wouldn't expect anything to change. We've already seen Baird put the kybosh on the Trust via his smackdown of Stuart Ayres, plus the nixing of the plan to put a new rectangular stadium in the Moore Park area that was supposed to replace Allianz. For all his current political woes Baird seems to have a firm grip on the coalition state government (viz his greyhound legislation and demoting fo two Nationals who voted against it), and the ALP would still need some huge swings to win back government next go round. I would expect that unless the AFL can find a new champion in the current coalition government they have reached the apogee of effective influence on the state government when it comes to stadium policy.

**** you're on a roll in this thread Manfred  :good:

My internal body clock is screwed up and I'm fueled by a combo of Twitter, rage against the aerial ping pongers, not enough sleep and No.13 strength Aldi expressi coffee.

Feel like wanna do this to AFL

giphy.gif

No.13 strength Aldi expressi coffee

Pffft, latte sipper!  :cheeky:

The other day I drove past the local Footy club and I saw their ovals being used, not for boganball, but for football. Makes you wonder about the viability of AFL-X when our boys and girls need to play on oval fields due to lack of dedicated football pitches

No.13 strength Aldi expressi coffee

Pffft, latte sipper!  :cheeky:

The other day I drove past the local Footy club and I saw their ovals being used, not for boganball, but for football. Makes you wonder about the viability of AFL-X when our boys and girls need to play on oval fields due to lack of dedicated football pitches

Latte?

We're talking Aldi here bruh...you know, cheap arse capsules that churn our some black muck that an inner city smurf hipster would turn their nose up at

**** you're on a roll in this thread Manfred  :good:

My internal body clock is screwed up and I'm fueled by a combo of Twitter, rage against the aerial ping pongers, not enough sleep and No.13 strength Aldi expressi coffee.

Feel like wanna do this to AFL

giphy.gif

They're holding an open training session this Wednesday at Homebush, we should make a point of (one day) heading down there to taunt them wearing red & black.

You are not

You are not

You are not

West Sydney

If in the unlikely event that GWS won the Grand Final, where would they hold their victory parade? Canberra?

Haha imagine if they did win. 

First, the Grand Final would be a farce. A bay maybe of GWS supporters and then the entire MCG full of people who are supporting the other team or critical of GWS because they have been given a leg-up along the way.

Then a "parade" with a few thousand people max if they have it on a weekend. Imagine the parade if they had it on a Tuesday or something. There'd be a few office workers come out for a sticky-beak and a tiny bunch of die-hards lol. It'd be embarrassing.

Just a reminder for anyone engaged in debates with afl drones from anywhere but NSW about how well the midgets are doing in Sydney...

The average Giants member spends less than $70 per year on both their membership and merchandise. That's like 2 games worth of tickets. On average. So for every person with a $300 season ticket there are five people who got their membership for free. That info is from the giants annual report lodged with ASIC (because it's not AFL generated info you know it's real.

Wanderers members are season ticket holders paying easily five times as much every year.

Just a reminder for anyone engaged in debates with afl drones from anywhere but NSW about how well the midgets are doing in Sydney...

The average Giants member spends less than $70 per year on both their membership and merchandise. That's like 2 games worth of tickets. On average. So for every person with a $300 season ticket there are five people who got their membership for free. That info is from the giants annual report lodged with ASIC (because it's not AFL generated info you know it's real.

Wanderers members are season ticket holders paying easily five times as much every year.

you would do well on this forum

http://www.talkingfooty.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=1

hell everyone should join this forum and completely mock gws in every thread they are brought up, we can take over that forum :P

I was going to post this in the NRL thread, because it is mainly for NRL supporters, but I put it here because a) it is someone from inside the game - Phil Gould - bashing the NRL bashing, but mainly because b) it is relevant to our game. To quote:

"The NRL has spent so much time pandering to an audience of people who never watch our game and who probably never will watch our game, all at the expense of those people who do love our game"

Amen. It's happening in all sports Phil, not just yours.

-puts popcorn in microwave-

I was going to post this in the NRL thread, because it is mainly for NRL supporters, but I put it here because a) it is someone from inside the game - Phil Gould - bashing the NRL bashing, but mainly because b) it is relevant to our game. To quote:

"The NRL has spent so much time pandering to an audience of people who never watch our game and who probably never will watch our game, all at the expense of those people who do love our game"[/size]

Amen. It's happening in all sports Phil, not just yours.

Amen amen.

You're getting it.

OMG.

Coming up on the ABC on the 7.30 report is a massive puff piece on the Greater Waste of Space.

I'm going to watch it for the loll's.

How much did they pay for that five minutes of pure propaganda?!

• mack unpinned this topic