Matthew Spiranovic

mack

I am the only one who is a bit uncomfortable with the way Spira is blatantly using us as a stepping stone/fall back option should he not get a euro/Asian deal he likes? I mean, I know it's not uncommon, and the A-League is just that, but geeze mate don't make it so obvious

Nope.  We have to accept the A-League and always will be a stepping stone for our most promising players.  That they whore themselves effectively to get a better gig is just the way it is.  We want our best players to be playing at the highest level possible and they want to maximize their earnings in what is a very short career.  To have them play for us for any period of time is a bonus.

I'm quite against the approach MV took with Milligan.  They may well have stuffed his career and he may never get another chance in European football.

Not to mention, it's natural and normal for a guy of his talent to want to test himself against the best opposition possible. I agree with the others that I prefer he's upfront, rather than string the club and fans along.

Plus, he will hopefully come back after his overseas adventure and play for us.

Edited by Carns
Guest mickisnot

Everyone else has done the talking for me.

Dalison I have to admit it's hard seeing "our" players move on. Hurts actually :'(

Such is football doesn't do justice to the pain I feel.

**** me Spiranovic is god ...

Yep.. confirmed.. !!!!

http://m.footballaustralia.com.au/western-sydney-wanderers-fc-news-display/Spiranovic-Inks-New-Deal-with-Wanderers/90536/507

00090536-leadimage.jpg

Matthew Spiranovic has today inked a new two-season deal with the NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers that will keep him in Red & Black until at least the end of the 2015/16 season.

Following a stand-out debut season with the Wanderers, culminating in Socceroos World Cup selection, Spiranovic made the decision to continue his career in Australia and will be a driving force for the Club’s upcoming Hyundai A-League, AFC Champions League and Westfield FFA Cup campaigns.

Following his initial signing in October 2013 Spiranovic has played 18 times this season in the Hyundai A-League, including one goal scored in this season’s Grand Final, as well as making five crucial appearances in the ACL in both the centre of defence and central midfield.

Spiranovic said his decision to re-sign with the Wanderers was first and foremost a football decision.

“Coming back to Australia and signing for the Wanderers was definitely the right football decision for me,†said Spiranovic.

“I had other options overseas and in Australia but what swayed me was the culture that Popa has installed at the Club. Not even a year has passed and Popa and his staff have me back to full fitness for the first time in a couple years.

“While clubs from Europe & Asia were calling, as a player, you always want to be playing in the big games against the best teams. By signing with the Wanderers I know I will get the opportunity to do that and continue to improve my football.

“The Club, the fans and this playing environment has been fantastic for me and I look forward to the opportunities in front of us.â€

Capped 17 times for the Socceroos since his debut in 2008, Spira will be pressing his claim to compete in his first FIFA World Cup in Brazil after being named in Ange Postecoglou’s preliminary 30-man squad on Wednesday.

Edited by MadKaw

Quality player who's presence at the back gives peace of mind for all those around him.

He can also play the holding midfield role which I think gave Ange another reason to select him for Brazil?

I remember one of the early games that spira played for us , and I said to my missus that he didn't seem just yet that he was fully engaged in the atmosphere of the crowd and the wanderers vibe... More just football focused and getting himself fit to play then leave eventually. E.g. a bit stand offish in post match celebrations, not as energetic as other players, etc.

But as the season wore on he became one of us and looked like he fully bought into what the club was about and the engagement with the fans . No suprise now that he would want to stay. Pumped that he is!