Squad Development 2015/16 Part 2

Scott & Shabow on first team contracts

The NRMA Insurance Western Sydney Wanderers have signed Lachlan Scott and Mario Shabow to first team contracts.

Forward Lachlan Scott and midfielder Mario Shabow have both signed one year Hyundai A-League contracts, becoming the first players from the newly-established Wanderers Academy to earn deals with the first team.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/92/e7/mario-shabow_hx6cgx1muio71pswtv8iexfgq.jpg?t=-1308627941

It is an early mark of approval for the new academy which has seen the Red & Black establish a direct pathway from U13s to senior football with a total of seven teams in the PS4 NPL competitions along with the existing Hyundai A-League, Westfield W-League, Foxtel NYL and Powerchair teams.

Fans have already seen a glimpse of Shabow when the teenager made a brief cameo in a win against Central Coast Mariners, highlighted by an impressive spin as a late substitute in the 2-0 victory.

The contract is a dream come true for Shabow who has become the first player to make the transition from the Red & Black Bloc to the Wanderers first team: the 18-year-old being a regular on the terraces since attending the Club’s first ever game against Nepean FC in 2012.

“I’m a very passionate fan of the Wanderers: playing for the team I support just makes me more passionate and makes me want it more. Not a lot of players can say they play for the team they support so it’s a great feeling signing my first senior contract here,†said Shabow.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/b2/94/mario-shabow-ffa-coe_1n0l5kyu2f0gv1mz5p9qib4c0x.jpg?t=1990361585

“I still remember the first pre-season game in 2012 and the first few moments when I fell in love with the club and the crest and now being on the other side makes me look back and wonder how it came so quick. I can’t wait to put that jersey on again.

“The time I’ve spent with the Wanderers so far has been the best in my life, I feel very strong, the fittest I’ve been and hopefully I can continue improving.â€

Scott too is a name familiar with a number of Wanderers fans with the recently announced Foxtel NYL Player of the Season catching the eye with a number of impressive goal scoring efforts.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/f4/c0/lachlan-scott_be0asc519zei17onm30iusz1x.jpg?t=-1285710223

Having scored 15 goals in 18 appearances for the Wanderers this season in all competitions, the 19-year-old really turned heads when he came off the bench to score five goals against defending champions, Spirit FC, in the Red & Black’s historic first ever NPL match.

“I’m really happy to have signed a professional contract with the Wanderers and I’m looking forward to a year of hard work to keep improving. Popa is such a hard coach but so rewarding: he pushes you so you keep improving,†said Scott.

image: http://images.performgroup.com/di/library/Western_Sydney_Wanderers/37/cb/lachlan-scott-mt-druitt_1qa41tt5zpvxh1sn4t1flyvy7w.jpg?t=-1343405134

“Training with the first team is at such a high intensity but a lot of the boys have helped me: blokes like Bridgey, Santa and Dimas have kept me motivated and I’m enjoying training with such quality players.

“I’m a striker, scoring goals is my job and working hard so I can score for the Hyundai A-League team is what I have to do.â€

Mario Shabow

18-year-old midfielder

Hyundai A-League appearances: 1

Foxtel NYL appearances: 6 (3 goals)

PS4 NPL2 appearances: 10 (5 goals)

Lachlan Scott

19-year-old forward

Foxtel NYL appearances: 8 (4 goals)

PS4 NPL2 appearances: 10 (12 goals)

http://www.wswanderersfc.com.au/article/Wanderers%20sign%20Academy%20products%20to%20first%20team/1qm0clr6n8gb0158quxlxgmxz9#CJTDcX1F1bwir9qL.99

Can't youth players play for the first team regardless? Was this necessary so they could play in the a-league?

I think this now stops another club from coming in and offering a first team contract.
Who would offer them contracts this year? They have between them 30 minutes of a-league experience. I could understand it if they were 2 year deals but one year kinda seems pointless. I'm not complaining though, I'm a big fan of the youth getting promoted

Can't youth players play for the first team regardless? Was this necessary so they could play in the a-league?

I think this now stops another club from coming in and offering a first team contract.
Who would offer them contracts this year? They have between them 30 minutes of a-league experience. I could understand it if they were 2 year deals but one year kinda seems pointless. I'm not complaining though, I'm a big fan of the youth getting promoted

A club looking for cheap squaddies with the potential for a decent sell on fee if they reach their potential. Remember, you need to have three U20 youth players on minimum wage in your squad.

Kuzi didn't play much for WSW but got picked up by City. That failed due to discipline issues.

question for the top forumites !!

how much do nsw  npl clubs charge kids under 11s to under 20s to register for the season ?

second question is does wsw subsidise the cost for the kids to register with us ? or does wsw charge to same ridiculously high rego fees as the other clubs in the league ? 

the main reason im asking is i know that most npl clubs charge abit extra ontop and use it towards paying 1st team wages throughout the year and im hoping we dont do that 

Meanwhile, Western Sydney Wanderers are tracking Croatian-based defender Tomislav Mrcela to bolster their backline for next season. Club sources confirmed they're in talks with the 25-year-old centre-back who is eager to return to Australia for the first time since leaving for Croatia in 2001 where he has played all his football. A move to the A-League is seen as a way to help the Lokomotiva Zagreb player break through into international football having twice been selected for the Socceroos but yet to make his international debut.

The Wanderers released Spanish defender Alberto Aguilar at the end of the season and are looking to sign another centre-back during the off-season. However, they aren't the only club in pursuit of Mrcela who has attracted interest from other A-League clubs as well as clubs in Turkey.

Western Sydney began their recruitment process with the signing of two youth players to their senior squads with Mario Shabow and Lachlan Scott earning full-time contracts. The two youngsters became the first players to progress from the Wanderers youth academy to the A-League team.

Don't know where to put this but here seems kind of appropriate... 

In the wake of yet another salary cap scandal dogging Australian sport, Football Federation Australia is ready to make the A-League the first competition in this country to make public the wages of  its players.

The FFA has monitored the impact of the decision to do the same in North American sports and believes it has become a key flank of transparency in those competitions.

The idea has been canvassed around Whitlam Square for several years but the governing body will look to table the idea to various stakeholders in the weeks ahead, with a view to implementing the strategy next season.

Outgoing head of A-League Damien de Bohun says publishing the salaries of A-League players is an idea worth exploring – and believes it will help drive public interest in the sport.

"Fans are fascinated by every aspect of their club's recruiting, tactics and results," said de Bohun. "In a competition with a salary cap and squad limits, the actual salaries of players would be of enormous interest to fans.

"It's a common feature of the Major League Soccer in the USA and drives a lot of interest, especially in the off-season transfer windows when clubs are active in the market."

But while driving fan interest is one matter, the real benefit is that it makes cheating the salary cap harder, as clubs publishing abnormally low figures would be immediately outed.

"There may also be a regulatory benefit of having transparency of these numbers," De Bohun said. "It would most likely add more confidence to the salary-cap system if salaries were published."

The idea has been occasionally floated in AFL and NRL circles.

The under-seige Parramatta Eels have already been docked 12 points this season and are fighting to clear wages off their books to be under the cap in time for Friday night's game against South Sydney.

The FFA has endured two major salary-cap breaches during the A-League's first decade, with Sydney FC stripped of two competition points and fined $129,000 in December 2007 before Perth

Glory's excessive rorting was exposed last year, leading to its expulsion from the finals and a $269,000 fine.

Under the model employed by the MLS, every player's salary is made public regardless of  what they are paid.

Visible are the wages paid in 2015 to the likes of ex-Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, who earns $US6.33 million ($8.61 million) at LA Galaxy, as well as Italian international Sebastian Giovinco ($9.69m), Brazilian legend Kaka (A$9.76 million), Chelsea icon Frank Lampard ($8.16 million) and Irish forward Robbie Keane ($6.12 million).

Also shown are the many players earning the minimum wage, which stands at $US50,000 ($68,000).

But the idea may meet some resistance with Professional Footballers Australia, which said it would await a formal approach from the governing body before taking a stand.

"The PFA is yet to be presented with any proposal from FFA regarding the publishing of A-League player salaries," a spokesperson told Fairfax Media. 

"The introduction of such measures would obviously require the consent of the players." 

This is interesting. I can see positives and negatives for both arguments. At least there would be a level of transparency in regards to the salary cap but on the other hand, I could understand the players not wanting to have their salaries publicised. Thoughts?

In the wake of yet another salary cap scandal dogging Australian sport, Football Federation Australia is ready to make the A-League the first competition in this country to make public the wages of  its players.

The FFA has monitored the impact of the decision to do the same in North American sports and believes it has become a key flank of transparency in those competitions.

The idea has been canvassed around Whitlam Square for several years but the governing body will look to table the idea to various stakeholders in the weeks ahead, with a view to implementing the strategy next season.

Outgoing head of A-League Damien de Bohun says publishing the salaries of A-League players is an idea worth exploring – and believes it will help drive public interest in the sport.

"Fans are fascinated by every aspect of their club's recruiting, tactics and results," said de Bohun. "In a competition with a salary cap and squad limits, the actual salaries of players would be of enormous interest to fans.

"It's a common feature of the Major League Soccer in the USA and drives a lot of interest, especially in the off-season transfer windows when clubs are active in the market."

But while driving fan interest is one matter, the real benefit is that it makes cheating the salary cap harder, as clubs publishing abnormally low figures would be immediately outed.

"There may also be a regulatory benefit of having transparency of these numbers," De Bohun said. "It would most likely add more confidence to the salary-cap system if salaries were published."

The under-seige Parramatta Eels have already been docked 12 points this season and are fighting to clear wages off their books to be under the cap in time for Friday night's game against South Sydney.

The FFA has endured two major salary-cap breaches during the A-League's first decade, with Sydney FC stripped of two competition points and fined $129,000 in December 2007 before Perth

Glory's excessive rorting was exposed last year, leading to its expulsion from the finals and a $269,000 fine.

Under the model employed by the MLS, every player's salary is made public regardless of  what they are paid.

Visible are the wages paid in 2015 to the likes of ex-Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, who earns $US6.33 million ($8.61 million) at LA Galaxy, as well as Italian international Sebastian Giovinco ($9.69m), Brazilian legend Kaka (A$9.76 million), Chelsea icon Frank Lampard ($8.16 million) and Irish forward Robbie Keane ($6.12 million).

Also shown are the many players earning the minimum wage, which stands at $US50,000 ($68,000).

But the idea may meet some resistance with Professional Footballers Australia, which said it would await a formal approach from the governing body before taking a stand.

"The PFA is yet to be presented with any proposal from FFA regarding the publishing of A-League player salaries," a spokesperson told Fairfax Media. 

"The introduction of such measures would obviously require the consent of the players." 

This is interesting. I can see positives and negatives for both arguments. At least there would be a level of transparency in regards to the salary cap but on the other hand, I could understand the players not wanting to have their salaries publicised. Thoughts?

Here -----> Football Media Discussion http://www.westsydneyfootball.com/topic/6580-football-media-discussion/page-61

Here -----> Football Media Discussion http://www.westsydneyfootball.com/topic/6580-football-media-discussion/page-61

Are you aware of the rules of the Football Media thread Taurus? :P 

Admin: This thread is for discussion of the Football Media. Inclusive of media personalities, bias in the media, and news about the people who report on football.

Please keep in mind that news articles regarding players, clubs, or any other non-media related news can be given their own threads in an appropriate subforum, or posted in relevant specific thread.

Would you like to retract your statement? 

Anything that is football related in the media, has always gone in this 'media' thread.

Admin: This thread is for discussion of the Football Media. Inclusive of media personalities, bias in the media, and news about the people who report on football.

Please keep in mind that news articles regarding players, clubs, or any other non-media related news can be given their own threads in an appropriate subforum, or posted in relevant specific thread.

When you create a new thread for your original post, which is not even remotely connected to the development of our WSW squad. 

I would love to see it happen but the PFA won't allow it.

Just picture Bruce Djite... See, won't happen.

Yeh I think this would be a smart move (less work for the FFA & harder to cheat the cap) but can see lots of resistance from the PFA

Great move for the FFA & would make our lives a lot easier than trying to guesstimate salaries :lol:

Anything that is football related in the media, has always gone in this 'media' thread.

When you create a new thread for your original post, which is not even remotely connected to the development of our WSW squad. 

1) Just because it's what done, doesn't mean it's correct...

2) It is connected. Several discussions in this this thread in the past few days have revolved around player salaries and movements due to the salary cap. It will have an impact on our squad development if introduced. 

I will seek the opinion of a moderator and then we'll see who is right :P 

https://twitter.com/SMHsport/status/730332908997750784

In the wake of yet another salary cap scandal dogging Australian sport, Football Federation Australia is ready to make the A-League the first competition in this country to make public the wages of its players.

The FFA has monitored the impact of the decision to do the same in North American sports and believes it has become a key flank of transparency in those competitions.

Outgoing head of A-League Damien de Bohun says publishing the salaries of A-League players is an idea worth exploring – and believes it will help drive public interest in the sport.

But while driving fan interest is one matter, the real benefit is that it makes cheating the salary cap harder, as clubs publishing abnormally low figures would be immediately outed.

The under-seige Parramatta Eels have already been docked 12 points this season and are fighting to clear wages off their books to be under the cap in time for Friday night's game against South Sydney.

The FFA has endured two major salary-cap breaches during the A-League's first decade, with Sydney FC stripped of two competition points and fined $129,000 in December 2007 before Perth

Glory's excessive rorting was exposed last year, leading to its expulsion from the finals and a $269,000 fine.

Under the model employed by the MLS, every player's salary is made public regardless of what they are paid.

Visible are the wages paid in 2015 to the likes of ex-Liverpool captain Steven Gerrard, who earns $US6.33 million ($8.61 million) at LA Galaxy, as well as Italian international Sebastian Giovinco ($9.69m), Brazilian legend Kaka (A$9.76 million), Chelsea icon Frank Lampard ($8.16 million) and Irish forward Robbie Keane ($6.12 million).

But the idea may meet some resistance with Professional Footballers Australia, which said it would await a formal approach from the governing body before taking a stand.

I find that completely unnecessary and very strange. It's written in a tone that suggests the general public will have the exhilarating opportunity to crunch the numbers and catch a salary cap cheat like its some bonus feature of following aleague football.

As long as the correct department of the FFA has access to the figures, no one else needs to know. I really don't understand what a move like that achieves.