Football Media Discussion

Something like that is all you need, a couple of pitches, a gym and a few offices, not too expensive at all. The only reason why the WSW and CCM developments are $30m and $50m is because part of that includes office block, clubhouse etc plans and the Mariners one has a hotel as part of it from memory which aren't really that necessary.

And the smurfs are about to announce the location of theirs - Valentine Park!

Pretty sure that's just where their youth academies will be based. IIRC, the senior squad are based at Macquarie Uni

SFC have to get out of Macquarie at the end of this season.
According to the DT, ESFC were told to get out back in October http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/a-league/aleague-confidential-sydney-fc-told-to-find-new-training-ground-next-year/news-story/fe08fa425b4397e11e08048089e8bf7d

And the smurfs are about to announce the location of theirs - Valentine Park!

Pretty sure that's just where their youth academies will be based. IIRC, the senior squad are based at Macquarie Uni
SFC have to get out of Macquarie at the end of this season.
According to the DT, ESFC were told to get out back in October http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/football/a-league/aleague-confidential-sydney-fc-told-to-find-new-training-ground-next-year/news-story/fe08fa425b4397e11e08048089e8bf7d

They were told to get out "next year".  Their fans said that meant when the current agreement that runs out at the end of this season.

Danny mills said the atmosphere on friday was the best he had seen all year in europe and premier league

sauce?

He said it on Shootout. Tbf, he said 'one of the best'

and he said season not year

Danny mills said the atmosphere on friday was the best he had seen all year in europe and premier league

sauce?

He said it on Shootout. Tbf, he said 'one of the best'

and he said season not year

prolly just being polite really

"The bottom line is that you are far more likely to be entertained if you go to a Wanderers match than if you take a punt on a Sydney game. This is not opinion but fact."

This is indeed fact. I've been to a couple of smurf games and the reality is that the Cove is **** (they always repeat the same ******* chants!) , the average punter smurfs are posh shits (some of the conversations I've overheard, ugh...), the football on the pitch is boring and the atmosphere overall in the stadium is rubbish.

Sydney FC to me represents something that is only appealing to a toff or a tourist. As a result, any real sense of passion or community on their part is fleeting and fake. There are a couple of teams in the world that I really hate but I can still respect them to an extent. For the smurfs it's really hard to have any respect for what they do both on and off the pitch.

The Premiers' Plate is heading to Parramatta.

For perhaps the first time this season, Melbourne City were the more boring of two teams. They weren't lacklustre, just completely outplayed by a rampant, free-flowing and attacking Western Sydney, who in beating City at their own game, created a new standard.

The A-League is unfancied for player development.

Alex Gersbach has packed his bags for Norway and James Jeggo has touched down in Austria.

Both promising youngsters were always destined for Europe sooner rather than later but to leave Australia for the 22nd and 16th best leagues in UEFA doesn't reflect well on player development offered here.

More games, a better shopping window and opportunities for Europa League football make such moves slight step-ups.

However, the fact our best prospects are itching to leave the A-League for competitions like the Tippeligean and Austrian Bundesliga should prompt the FFA to review the format and functions of the club football.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/why-funding-for-matildas-and-wleague-must-be-increased-20160201-gmig1q.html#ixzz3yugfvgCl
Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

Guest NSWanderer15

Why on Earth are they trying to jinx us? :smurfnono:

Coz its the SydneyFC Morning Herald

Hmm, the supportive paper of the Smurfs who themselves are very close to 6th place now that Adelaide are 1 point behind. Lols!

Theres a few comments in the press recently about how we have one of the top 2 spots already. Given there's 10 games left im not that sure, particularly if your a team going to concede 3 goals in the last 15 minutes (although i think only City are capable of scoring 3 in the last 15 tbh). Its going to be an interesting run home, i think Saturdays game will tell us a lot about where we are really at compared to everyone else.

The Premiers' Plate is heading to Parramatta.

For perhaps the first time this season, Melbourne City were the more boring of two teams. They weren't lacklustre, just completely outplayed by a rampant, free-flowing and attacking Western Sydney, who in beating City at their own game, created a new standard.

The A-League is unfancied for player development.

Alex Gersbach has packed his bags for Norway and James Jeggo has touched down in Austria.

Both promising youngsters were always destined for Europe sooner rather than later but to leave Australia for the 22nd and 16th best leagues in UEFA doesn't reflect well on player development offered here.

More games, a better shopping window and opportunities for Europa League football make such moves slight step-ups.

However, the fact our best prospects are itching to leave the A-League for competitions like the Tippeligean and Austrian Bundesliga should prompt the FFA to review the format and functions of the club football.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/sport/soccer/why-funding-for-matildas-and-wleague-must-be-increased-20160201-gmig1q.html#ixzz3yugfvgCl

Follow us: @smh on Twitter | sydneymorningherald on Facebook

I guess players leave for the following reasons:

• Money
  • More playing time
  • Promise of 'better' football
  • More money (yes, put it there twice)

The A-League has a salary cap (insert Snape saying obviously) and every other league (expect the MLS) in the world does not. This limits our ability to retain players and attract new ones. You could earn a maximum of a few hundred thousand here, under the cap. Or, head overseas for a similar level and club, and you could earn almost double that. So, why would you stay?

Then you add onto the lure of saying that you 'play in Europe' and all the fanfare that goes with it, then come back with your tail between your legs and sign on as a hero (see Taggart).

How do we fix it? Either abolish the salary cap, or adjust it. Create it so that it limits a teams spending based on their revenue (locally, in the case of Melbourne City). If you can earn x-amount, why should you have to pay them within the same wage bracket as a team that may generate a tenth of what you do? (see Melbourne Victory v CCM).

There is no simple fix, and nor should we look at avenues like the ARU with limiting players representing their country unless they play within their national competition or Super Rugby (which I believe has now been removed). The more playing time situation can be fixed with more teams, but then you run the risk of diluting not only the talent pool but the number of suitable sponsors and commercial opportunities whilst the league is relatively young.

It's an interesting one, that's for sure.

If the FFA can budget for 1 big marquee for say 5 of the clubs (lets be honest, not all of them will need/use one) and then the clubs can have 3 of their own then that goes a long way to helping.

Completely abolishing the cap could be dangerous, but increasing it, removing the floor and changing the marquee/loan/transfer policies will help.

I think as we have all said previously the next TV-deal is the most important in the leagues history. We are now at that tipping point where we have stagnated as regards TV viewers and despite the incredible entertainment of games like ours last Friday we won't see an increase without more media exposure. Whether we like it or not big name marquees drive that interest and are needed to kick up the interest level. It's not the already rusted on supporters we are talking about here.

Why would FTA take a punt on the HAL as it stands today. Simpsons re-runs are free to show and get more ratings. The only way they will make a play for the rights are if we ramp up the interest in the league. That then in turn means more exposure and cross promotion. The cycling last week on CH7 got 170K. I am sure a Sydney derby on FTA would beat that if given the chance. CH10 for example could show an HAL game and then a BBL or vice versa on the same night with the right scheduling.

The FFA have no money to spend on marketing. Crowds are solid but they don't drive the revenue as much as TV money.

Even Optus may make a play and bundle with the EPL, we have also to look at Asia and improving interest there in our league and that will happen with more Asian players at our clubs and strong runs in the ACL.

I'm in the Simon Hill camp. I don't think we need FTA. We already have it, if people wanted to watch it then they'll find it. What we don't have is good marketing and promotion of the game. A new TV deal should not only allow us to increase the salary cap, expand the league but also invest in good advertising to attract new fans to the games.

I think as we have all said previously the next TV-deal is the most important in the leagues history. We are now at that tipping point where we have stagnated as regards TV viewers and despite the incredible entertainment of games like ours last Friday we won't see an increase without more media exposure. Whether we like it or not big name marquees drive that interest and are needed to kick up the interest level. It's not the already rusted on supporters we are talking about here.

Why would FTA take a punt on the HAL as it stands today. Simpsons re-runs are free to show and get more ratings. The only way they will make a play for the rights are if we ramp up the interest in the league. That then in turn means more exposure and cross promotion. The cycling last week on CH7 got 170K. I am sure a Sydney derby on FTA would beat that if given the chance. CH10 for example could show an HAL game and then a BBL or vice versa on the same night with the right scheduling.

The FFA have no money to spend on marketing. Crowds are solid but they don't drive the revenue as much as TV money.

Even Optus may make a play and bundle with the EPL, we have also to look at Asia and improving interest there in our league and that will happen with more Asian players at our clubs and strong runs in the ACL.

In all honesty I try to avoid a lot of this type of stuff because it will just make you paranoid in the end. Not that I am not aware of how the whole thing works. AFL, NRL and cricket are protected species to an extent, and it is very hard to topple them simply because that is the way they want it to be here. Even the ratings are made to look really good in their favour because it is all run by people who have a vested interest in these things.

If you keep trying to find solutions to be better than the others you will eventually go insane, because to be honest I think we will be in the same position we are now in  20 years time. I really don't see much changing.

@westSyd .  I agree that we aren't going to see the growth in our professional game that Gallop keeps trumpeting, ie biggest football code in the country. Not in the next 20 years for sure.

The HAL is never going to be the best football league in the world, simply impossible, and that perception that you are not watching the 'best quality' is one that can't therefore be mitigated.

I know people from my old football team who loved playing the game but had no interest in watching the A-League. This is a massive untapped pool of potential.

Plus as you say other than occasional times we are never going to be the main sports story and that needs to happen to be No.1. Can you ever see football being the back 10 pages of the Herald in Melbourne instead of AFL.? FFS the Sydney media are already talking about State of origin and the NRL season hasn't even started. Pieces on individual players are already appearing and those 'colour' stories you rarely see about football players.

Nothing has changed really in the last 10, so why would it in the next 20?

Having said that an improved TV deal will keep our league strong and help us grow organically. It will help reduce the amount of money clubs are losing and hopefully reduce the number of clubs that are on the edge of oblivion. We need the HAL to be sustainable and for owners not to be losing thousands. No clubs = no league.

Edited by beatsurrender