Football Media Discussion

But whatever the merits of Tony Popovic's side, what cannot be argued is that their fans are the most irresponsible in the entire competition. Unlike their team, they are in a league of their own.

In a league of our own? We weren't even the only fans in that particular stadium to do it.

The thing that annoyed me most about the flare was that Fox made Williams stop the game. The article says the players couldn't see but whenever they showed footage from pitch level the view was fine. It was only stopped because Fox couldn't get good pictures, the referee had no footballing reason to stop play.

But whatever the merits of Tony Popovic's side, what cannot be argued is that their fans are the most irresponsible in the entire competition. Unlike their team, they are in a league of their own.

In a league of our own? We weren't even the only fans in that particular stadium to do it.

The thing that annoyed me most about the flare was that Fox made Williams stop the game. The article says the players couldn't see but whenever they showed footage from pitch level the view was fine. It was only stopped because Fox couldn't get good pictures, the referee had no footballing reason to stop play.

Ben Williams never needs a football reason to do anything...only the desire to do so

No no no no wrong.

The rbb were the only ones to light flares, they caused the goal, and they all did it together because they want all the legitimate flare bans rescinded.

Look at me fans are nothing compared to look at me journalists and refs both of whom have also mastered the look away when convenient look. How dare spectators participate. Next we'll have voters doing more than watching from the sidelines. Don't the grubs know their place yet?

How can something that you play a few games to achieve be more prestigious that being top after 27 games playing each team 3 times. The guy is an idiot.

The GF system was OK when we didn't have an FFA cup, but now we do. What needs to happen is that same as they do in England, have dedicated weekends during the season for the FFA cup and play the final after the leugue finishes.

My thoughts exactly. I couldn't believe it when my eggball mate told me that the league is merely the qualification for the finals series which is what matters in the end. Rubbish.

But like Wendy said whatever makes football go on for longer in this sports confused country is a win...

Yes, the flares almost deserve there own thread but I guess we will just lump it in here:

- Yes we let off flares, don't condone it & whoever it was I'm sure you've got a ban notice coming your way. It is frustrating from the perspective that it will cause us more trouble off the field in the coming few weeks. I know there are lots of pro pyro people on here & many that really enjoy the atmosphere it brings but is it really worth the fallout?

- Hate the hypocrisy of MV fans booing when we let off flares but nothing when they had there own Pyro show

- I also saw opposition fans go mental on social media calling us all sorts of names cause of flares, but the ESFC ones made me laugh the most because obviously they have short memories after the pyro show at the recent parra derby

- On the visibility on flares, yes the smoke affects the spectators visibility but not the players but it's an easy target for the family friendly way of thinking point of view.

- I suspect there will be some fallout because of this & can see the FFA acting upon the faux outrage, for a number of reasons: We had incredibly large amounts of smoke let off, the active area was in camera shot with the flares getting plenty of air time, the game was stopped, a very strong social media & news response coming out to condemn it. This spells trouble in my eyes.

- Interesting that people seem to be very specific in where flares are acceptable & where they are not but it's too simplistic. Flares come with active/ultra culture we have, unfortunately as with all things you get the good & bad. Just like with active support it brings many good things (atmosphere, colour, passion) but at the same time has many undesirable elements to it (flares), you've got accept the whole package not just what benefits one party.

- The current prohibition approach to flares clearly doesn't work, the FFA can hand out bans but I'm not sure it will make a difference. I think it will take an approach that looks at a solution outside of the box. If the issue is safety, let's make it safe. If the issue is breaking the law, then let's focus on a way to let off flares in a safe manner within the law. It is along this line of thinking that we may actually see a positive outcome.

^^^^^Tbh I don't actually think tge Victory fans were chanting against us/ booing us because they have that much of a moral objection to flares. It was just an excuse to get at us, in the same way a red card might be. It's just part of the rivalry. Let's be honest, we look for any excuse to get at them as well (though admittedly I couldn't ever see us using flares as that excuse).

Yes, the flares almost deserve there own thread but I guess we will just lump it in here:

Whoever is doing it, if they really must, then just do it before the game. Pre-match is enough, you still get your jollies and it's mostly forgotten if it doesn't interfere with the game. I don't mind a bit of it just before derby kick off, but once the game starts, most people are there to see the game and hear the RBB and perhaps sing/cheer along with them, not total attention on RBB which is what happened last night. 

I'd be interested to hear Victory's opinion on this, insofar as I suspect one of the major drivers for the likes of Lynch and Leach is that they are trying to be heard as 'football journalists' in a far more hostile and pressured atmosphere than we have here in Sydney. Putting aside the usual BS from say Bossi or Cock etc, who may take a partisan position for their preferred club, they have the comfort of reporting football stories where there is no oppressive eggball culture and environment. Okay, we all know that league is no.1 in NSW & Qld, and football can be placed maybe 2nd or 3rd depending upon time of year, games etc etc. However from what I've seen of our sports media environment here versus in Victoria (and SA as well), unless you are talking AFL you will be considered a peripheral voice, a minor player.

Going in hard against traveling RBB members for pyro grabs attention, column space and more air time on TV and radios when it both sensationalizes and plays to the fears and loathing of an AFL-centric audience. In a media space where other codes have more a more equitable share of attention, and arguably less opposition to football, going berko against sokkah hooligans isn't so profitable or as warmly welcomed.

Experience this year has show only football crowds are an anti-social post apolcalyptic style mob, who threaten the very safety of old ladies and klittens, and who also deserve a one way trip to Guantanamo...drunken Rugby, Cricket, AFL, and NRL crowds being ejected en-mass are just good old vegemites having a good time in the style of the 1915  Anzac's who gave their lives to allow them to do so

Edited by Horus

Channel 9 didn't go in hard from what I remember, but they did say the game was stopped for 20 mins which was pretty hilarious

:lol: at the #facts

Whoever wrote the report clearly watched the game :rofl:

Fair play to channel nine, expected them to really leave the boot in, maybe there is more fall out to come? Will be interesting to see the FFA's reaction mid week to this, will they come out strongly midweek and add more fuel to the fire? Or will they keep all the talk behind closed doors in order to reduce the negative PR?

**** the msm. Who cares? The games that they say are the worst ones - ours, Victory and esfc - are also the most well attended. People are obviously coming for the atmosphere, not being scared off.

As soon as one of them has the football on their channel they will report it more favourably. That's how commercial stations work. It's business.

Anyway, the day I start worrying about what people who watch Sunrise or Today think is the day I want the life support switched off.

**** the msm. Who cares? The games that they say are the worst ones - ours, Victory and esfc - are also the most well attended. People are obviously coming for the atmosphere, not being scared off.

As soon as one of them has the football on their channel they will report it more favourably. That's how commercial stations work. It's business.

Anyway, the day I start worrying about what people who watch Sunrise or Today think is the day I want the life support switched off.

I think that's the key point here. The numbers speak for themselves.

You don't think CCM, AU, Perth, Newcastle, Brisbane would swap situations with us? 

I'm sure they would put up with a few flares per year in return of an increase of 8000 ppl on a weekly basis.

Don't forget with a new stadium, we will be pushing our average attendance to around 25k minimum. I don't think people will believe the "scaring fans off" rhetoric as much as they do now.

Yes, I saw it Prydz. Channel 10 came down hard on the flares. blamed only the Wanderers. They reported 19 flares etc. All the other channels were not much different. I did notice however that at least channel 9 did a separate report on the game itself which was more positive. Sigh.

This is what gives me the shits.... Yes there were flares and loud bangers, but there were not 19 lit...the media scumbags like to sensationalise things to make for a shock story. I was there in level 3 directly above our away support and did not see 19 flares lit... I saw no trouble at the ground and on the way out there were no issues at all. Go report on the people that were ejected out of the rugby 7s for drunken behaviour over the weekend.

^^^ how was the atmosphere from up top? The victory fans up there piped down a beauty after santas goal!

Also.. you know you've made it when Campbell Brown is calling you out on twitter.. yeah the bloke that broke his team mate's jaw with king hit.

^^^ how was the atmosphere from up top? The victory fans up there piped down a beauty after santas goal!

Also.. you know you've made it when Campbell Brown is calling you out on twitter.. yeah the bloke that broke his team mate's jaw with king hit.

Haha it was epic there were quite a few of us upstairs also and when the equaliser flew in there were stunned faces all round. The we ****ed your mum chant could be heard loud and clear haha... The vic fans in front of me were impressed with our support. Everyone on social media are outraged lol Why isnt there any outrage over the continual pisshead behaviour displayed at the rugby or cricket...