Squad Development S3 Part 2

problem is we are signing **** players maybe ward was good once but now he is ****

He would have come very cheap after his last contract of injury replacement for the Jets, he trialled with us from memory a couple of years back and wasn't good enough... This is very alarming....  :drats:

Bridge has also picked up injury

Also the FFA should start looking at increasing squad sizes for the league or for teams playing in the ACL

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/au/news/popovic-wanderers-struggling-physically#tjUSMeQ7vitfEqP9.99

I think introducing international breaks would be good too. It would give teams a couple weeks rest during the season.

Edited by Michael

Poljak is a good at breaking up play but offers nothing going forward , the game has moved on from these kind of DM's . Larroca is a superior player in all aspects . Poljak is signed for next year so his central midfield partners next season are crucial to our chances . Can't afford squaddies like Bacchus kalmar or trifiro in the middle , we need some real quality where it counts .

Pretty sure if you compare pass percentages/tackles/interceptions Poljak comes out on top. La Rocca can't pass a ball 10 metres half the time. Season 1 Poljak was the man with the ball players mooy/ono beside him.

In yesterday's game Poljak's pass completion rate was 87.2%.  La Rocca's was 71.1%.

Against Adelaide Poljak's pass completion rate was 92%.  La Rocca's was 78.9%.

These results are typical when the two play together.  Poljak has the significantly higher pass completion rate.

In games with other players joining them as DM's Poljak's pass completion rate is anything from low 80's to low 90's.  La Rocca's is mid 60's to mid 80's.

The numbers reflect the different role the 2 players are given.  Poljak plays the withdrawn DM whose job is to move the ball on quickly.  La Rocca plays a more advanced role and tries to be creative but in my opinion is way to inconsistent in that role.

This year we have missed the vision of Ono, work rate of mooy and Hersi. no significant replacements. Can't play the same style as season 1 and 2. Backs are scared to move forward which would suggest they are fatigued so they don't have to track back limiting our attack. Expectations for the middle and front to do the job without the likes of the players we lost and the team moving forward hasn't worked this year for these reasons. We really need a cam, bridge just doesn't work in this position and why popa is consistent with playing h in the middle I do not understand.

lets keep  these numbers in perspective, poljak either pass to the side or back.  They  should be be counted. Popa wont care about a league now he will just play his main 12-14 to keeop  them fit for acl.

Side passes/back passes if there's nothing on are critical to us keeping the ball.

These injuries we are getting are very alarming, Santa & Cole were very unfortunate but when you start getting soft tissue injuries it becomes a concern, first Hamil and now Bridge. If we keep losing one player per game till the end of the season we might not have anyone left over for any competition. Not criticising training techniques but a long season, congested schedule & minimal pre season probably mean that we have very little control over these problems also the fact that efforts are more focused on recovery post match & being prepared for matches means that there is little time for any sort of decent training.

We only have to look at how long it took Romeo to come back after his abdomen problem that Bridge is probably gone for the season. Can see Kalmar being brought into the squad as injury replacement now but can see Popa using Kalmar in the n10 role over most people apart from Yojiro. The issue that remains, we have no decent distribution from deep midfield (Poljak or La Rocca) when Popa plays Yojiro as n10.

WESTERN Sydney chairman and part owner Paul Lederer left for Europe yesterday for a football fact-finding mission that could also see the club on the lookout for a marquee player.

Lederer, who is determined the Wanderers will become the biggest club in Australian soccer, plans to visit Manchester United, Tottenham Hotspur and Everton as well clubs in Spain primarily to understand how their youth academies work. However, he did not rule out the possibility of canvassing possible marquee candidates for next season.

Western Sydney were recently granted approval to set up a multi-purpose training, club and academy facility in Blacktown which he believes will be the envy of the A-League. The academy is close to his heart and he sees it as a means to cement the future of the club as a force in the sport in this country. Chief executive John Tsatsimas has accompanied him on the trip.

“We will be away for two weeks and will take in a number of clubs in England and Europe,†Lederer told The Weekend Australian before leaving. “I think it is vital that we, as a club, provide the best opportunities for kids in our region to develop and to be given a chance to play for the Wanderers.â€

Lederer was coy when asked about a marquee player. The club did not invest in one this season despite the success of Japanese star, Shinji Ono, who was the darling of the passionate Wanderers fans during his two-year stint.

“Of course, we would like a marquee player but we are not going to sign one for the sake of it,†Lederer said.

“If and when we do, we have to make sure he is the right type of player and person for the team and the club. (Coach) Tony Popovic has very clear ideas on the type of player he wants.â€

The Wanderers did well against Guangzhou Evergrande in an ACL match on Wednesday night despite losing 3-2. The Chinese powerhouse fielded two Brazilians, who cost around $35 million between them.

“Absolutely, the Brazilians were the difference between the two teams,†Lederer added.

Agree with the article completely, except that I rate Castelen higher than Hersi.

Hersi's defensive work was far superior , can't split them in attack but hersi did have a great attacking right back in pollenz that made things a lot easier for him .

I'd agree, it could've been his lack of match fitness but he was spent by the 60th minute and I'm not sure if hes been told to stay high but Castelen didn't seem to backtrack very often in defense before that, and more importantly his distribution is poor. There has been a bit of criticism of Yojiro playing at the number 10, but his passing game is more effective than Castelen and Castelen seems to me to get caught taking that one of two steps too far before either looking to pass or take an effective shot. 

I'm not saying Castelen isn't quality - he is, but I think if even only compared to Hersi, he is not as effective in attack, and Hersi was able to transition alot faster.

Edited by Horus

Hersi had Polenz, Mooy and Ono to support him in attack, who does castellen, juric ruka and bulut have to feed them the ball

before our defence is fixed we need to fix our midfield and playmakers to become more effective in their roles or sign some one that is similar to Ono.

With the herald article i hope Ledderer forks out the money for a good no 10 who can be our marquee for next season.

Any suggestions for a potential marquee?

I myself would either go for Danny from Zenit St Petersburg or Wesley Sneijder or even Niko Kranjcar i heard that popa was interested in him.

But who else? Would love Sneijder to play at WSW 

Edited by DrunkenWookie89

Hersi had Polenz, Mooy and Ono to support him in attack, who does castellen, juric ruka and bulut have to feed them the ball

before our defence is fixed we need to fix our midfield and playmakers to become more effective in their roles or sign some one that is similar to Ono.

With the herald article i hope Ledderer forks out the money for a good no 10 who can be our marquee for next season.

Any suggestions for a potential marquee?

I myself would either go for Danny from Zenit St Petersburg or Wesley Sneijder or even Niko Kranjcar i heard that popa was interested in him.

But who else? Would love Sneijder to play at WSW 

As a Manchester United fan please don't make me have to go through endless, futile Wesley Sneijder rumours with both my clubs. He's not coming.

http://www.transfermarkt.com/danny/profil/spieler/14119

What about Danny from Zenit St Petersburg primarily an attacking midfielder can also play left and right wing also

Im a Zenit fan and i honestly rekon he is the best midfielder in russian premier league 

My dream marquee would be Zlatan Ibrahimovic but i know that would never happen, would just love to seem him stick to berisha and Janko

Edited by DrunkenWookie89

We have an Ono replacement - he's called Yojiro Takahagi.

We have the personnel, we just need them to gel!

I have to disagree big time on this.

He may have replaced as in he also has two legs, but what they can do with their legs is a big difference.

Takahagi - only 2 Japanese caps to go with his J League.

Ono - will see his J League and raise him Feyenoord and Bochum. Not to mention the 54 more Japanese caps and World Cup appearances. 

Oh, and the little thing that Wanderers were winning when Ono played... can't really say the same for Takahagi regardless of reasons.