Squad Development 2018/19 Part 1

1 hour ago, GrEmIoWaNdErEr said:

I am hearing club are keen to keep llorente plus we might sign Jordy bujuis from ESFC so we could see a backline of 

risdon.  Tongyik. Bujuis . Llorente 

so we still will have two foreign spots to fill( cejudo, jumpie) so carrusca might go but if we get a European manager from let's say coming from the rumours Germany he may want to use the foreign spots on a winger and a central midfielder but I think we might get a very strong team next season especially with a German at the helm can't wait for next  season bring on 2018/19

The nationality of the coach is irrelevent.

It will be man management skills and the tatical setup that will be the key. If the new manager can get the best out of the squad then we will have a better seasson than the previous two.

Really feel for Bridgey, club legend but that knee injury really has taken a yard of pace off him for those initial 5 yard bursts that a winger needs to create some thing to beat a man, and a few more lunging tackles this season that were mistimed he was lucky not to collect at least one red.

hope he can work some more mobility into that knee but time is doing him no favours.

11 hours ago, chook said:

Meanwhile , I read these threads I read utter dribble and bullshit.

For the first time in his tenure popa assembles a team before the start of the season. Then walk out on us. Does anyone not think the prick just shambles together what he could so he could Nick off ? 

Do then we get a coach as successful if not.more successful than Popa, and he's a flop. Does the **** squad have nothing to with that? I mean, I liked Clisby but he was 10% of Jamo. And you might have thought Vitor was a flop but that number 10 we have now is so bad I refuse to.mention his division 12 name. **** ****.

Anyway back towbar matters. Who the **** are these new blokes and what are they worth to.us? Who's our.coacj? Who else will sign? Stop.the driplbble . Sensible comments only.

Popa's was more successful than Popa? Let's see:

Gombau won the ACL - nope.

Gombau won the premiership - nope

Gombau came send in the league twice - nope

Gombau qualified for the ACL three times - nope

Gombau made the GF three times - nope

Gombau won the FFA cup - tick

What was that comment about dribble and BS again??

20 hours ago, tardotz said:

Don't have a problem with the players but I do have with the process. 

Why hire players that Gambou wanted when he is gone. I know they would have talked prior but they should have waited for the new coach.

We will be back to ...they are not his players ...give him another season....duds from Gambou etc etc

They signed up a few months ago.

The whole "he is not coach xyz player" concept does only exist in people's imagination. People were running with that notion this season to protect Gombau and keep shoving the dirt over to Popovic.

If they do well under the new coach it will be Gombau's achievement. If they do poorly it will be the new coach's fault. Or Popa's.

12 hours ago, chook said:

For the first time in his tenure popa assembles a team before the start of the season. Then walk out on us. Does anyone not think the prick just shambles together what he could so he could Nick off ? 

Do then we get a coach as successful if not.more successful than Popa, and he's a flop. Does the **** squad have nothing to with that? I mean, I liked Clisby but he was 10% of Jamo. And you might have thought Vitor was a flop but that number 10 we have now is so bad I refuse to.mention his division 12 name. **** ****.

Anyway back towbar matters. Who the **** are these new blokes and what are they worth to.us? Who's our.coacj? Who else will sign? Stop.the driplbble . Sensible comments only.

FMD these clowns who have been coming to the forum in the last few months lol

So I guess that time before the start of our first A-League season back in 2012/13 Popa had zero to do with that squad being put together.

Ditto 2013/14, 2014/15, 2015/16, 2016/17.

Oh and FCB's post nails it.

This club and forum has a dim future ahead if certain morons have any influence whatsoever on the club, culture, supporter base etc.

5 hours ago, sonar said:

5 hours ago, sonar said:

Gombau was blamed relentlessly here by some for the players inability to actually play football.Relentlessly.Some of it spiteful and vicious in it's rhetoric.The results say he deserved to go as it's the managers job to get the team to play,that didn't happen so be he is gone.

Anything less than winning the Premiership and a GF win next season by the new manager will be a failure. 

I genuinely can't follow if your comments are sarcasm or serious. Gombau was given a decent crop of players and flopped. He could very easily have adjusted his play style a bit to fit the players he had then reset next season. He chose to do it his own very long and slow way, which we already know isnt particularly effective anyway. He's was summarily and correctly F**ked off.

Nothing that was said about him was rhetoric, he was inexcusably hopeless. Vicious possibly.

The players who didn't get their **** together (and are able to be moved on) are getting the boot.

6 hours ago, sonar said:

Gombau was blamed relentlessly here by some for the players inability to actually play football.Relentlessly.Some of it spiteful and vicious in it's rhetoric.The results say he deserved to go as it's the managers job to get the team to play,that didn't happen so be he is gone.

Anything less than winning the Premiership and a GF win next season by the new manager will be a failure. 

Rubbish.  Gombau was called into question for what he didn't achieve - he didn't make the top 6 (in a 10 team league that is pretty pathetic!).  The playing style was uninspiring - or the comments across the season on here are all wrong.  He never got a group players to work together.  He got several offside and wouldn't communicate with them.  Sure the players are not blameless and some have already gone - more will as well I suspect.  When a ship runs onto rocks it is the captains ultimate responsibility, even if the crew were negligent.

Merrick has taken a pretty average playing squad and made champions of them.  He has lifted some players to reach some pretty impressive heights and these are players that we would have laughed at if WSW had recruited them.  That is the difference.  Even the loved/hated Popa was able to get a lot out of some ordinary players (yes, yes, he had his faults but lets give some acknowledgement where due there).  Gombau, as a few have suggested has had some moderate success in A League and could probably do well in the right place.  WSW is obviously not the right place - he doesn't suit who we are and doesn't get Western Sydney culture either

The next coach will be expected to bring a squad together to perform well as a team, fight for the colours and to dig deep  when things are tough. Yes we do expect results - every fan does. We want  team playing with passion and commitment and whilst the players have to do their part, the coach sets that strong culture.  It isn't hard to see which coaches inspire players to rise and which don't.  Having said that, not all players will necessarily respond well to a particular coach, his style, personality etc may not work. We will see.

Merrick has taken a pretty average playing squad and made champions of them.

Not yet he hasn't. Merrick getting his team to a grand final was a minor miracle, but he could just as easily end up losing the grand final and thus not winning a trophy.

The chances our new coach is going to transform a squad who didn't give a **** last year because mean old Gombau wanted to let them eat cake at lunch instead of screaming at them in the office like Popovic used to do, are low. I said it in the last thread but there are very few examples of a coach coming to a new club in the A-League and winning immediately.

It usually takes at least one season where the manager gets to stamp their authority and imprint their tactical thinking onto a squad before they go challenge for a title. And our club just threw away Gombau's first year, whatever you think of if it should have happened, it's done and we have a new manager next season who will be in their first year.

I think anyone expecting a Premiership or FFA Cup or Grand Final win be sorely disappointed and will end up calling for the new blokes head by round 8 especially if we get ko'd from the FFA Cup early.

38 minutes ago, mack said:

Not yet he hasn't. Merrick getting his team to a grand final was a minor miracle, but he could just as easily end up losing the grand final and thus not winning a trophy.

I didn't read it that way Mack.

I don't think BFTW meant "made them champions" literally. Maybe he could have chosen his words better, but I think his point was that Merrick turned a **** team into a very good/great team.

16 hours ago, chook said:

Thanks for stopping by with your insight 

4 hours ago, FCB said:

Popa's was more successful than Popa? Let's see:

Gombau won the ACL - nope.

Gombau won the premiership - nope

Gombau came send in the league twice - nope

Gombau qualified for the ACL three times - nope

Gombau made the GF three times - nope

Gombau won the FFA cup - tick

What was that comment about dribble and BS again??

The Hong Kong League doesn’t win itself you know 

1 hour ago, mack said:

The chances our new coach is going to transform a squad who didn't give a **** last year because mean old Gombau wanted to let them eat cake at lunch instead of screaming at them in the office like Popovic used to do, are low. I said it in the last thread but there are very few examples of a coach coming to a new club in the A-League and winning immediately.

It usually takes at least one season where the manager gets to stamp their authority and imprint their tactical thinking onto a squad before they go challenge for a title. And our club just threw away Gombau's first year, whatever you think of if it should have happened, it's done and we have a new manager next season who will be in their first year.

I think anyone expecting a Premiership or FFA Cup or Grand Final win be sorely disappointed and will end up calling for the new blokes head by round 8 especially if we get ko'd from the FFA Cup early.

Gombau threw away Gombaus first year by not being able to produce a semi functional team. 

As this is the squad development thread: if our squad develops so we can give a Newcastle Jets impression next season then I'll be very happy. It would mean a team that is fighting, running, scoring, and never gives up. We could do (and have done) much worse. Then take that momentum to the new Stadium.  

4 hours ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Rubbish.  Gombau was called into question for what he didn't achieve - he didn't make the top 6 (in a 10 team league that is pretty pathetic!).  The playing style was uninspiring - or the comments across the season on here are all wrong.  He never got a group players to work together.  He got several offside and wouldn't communicate with them.  Sure the players are not blameless and some have already gone - more will as well I suspect.  When a ship runs onto rocks it is the captains ultimate responsibility, even if the crew were negligent.

Merrick has taken a pretty average playing squad and made champions of them.  He has lifted some players to reach some pretty impressive heights and these are players that we would have laughed at if WSW had recruited them.  That is the difference.  Even the loved/hated Popa was able to get a lot out of some ordinary players (yes, yes, he had his faults but lets give some acknowledgement where due there).  Gombau, as a few have suggested has had some moderate success in A League and could probably do well in the right place.  WSW is obviously not the right place - he doesn't suit who we are and doesn't get Western Sydney culture either

The next coach will be expected to bring a squad together to perform well as a team, fight for the colours and to dig deep  when things are tough. Yes we do expect results - every fan does. We want  team playing with passion and commitment and whilst the players have to do their part, the coach sets that strong culture.  It isn't hard to see which coaches inspire players to rise and which don't.  Having said that, not all players will necessarily respond well to a particular coach, his style, personality etc may not work. We will see.

Rubbish. Gombau was called into question even before there were any results on the board. I will quite happily quote back those posts.Not from yourself but from others.

5 hours ago, Upthehill said:

I genuinely can't follow if your comments are sarcasm or serious. Gombau was given a decent crop of players and flopped. He could very easily have adjusted his play style a bit to fit the players he had then reset next season. He chose to do it his own very long and slow way, which we already know isnt particularly effective anyway. He's was summarily and correctly F**ked off.

Nothing that was said about him was rhetoric, he was inexcusably hopeless. Vicious possibly.

The players who didn't get their **** together (and are able to be moved on) are getting the boot.

A lot of sarcasm.

A decent crop of players....please. Did you watch our games.? 

As I said before....the players will always remain blameless.

3 hours ago, mack said:

This......"The chances our new coach is going to transform a squad who didn't give a **** last year because mean old Gombau wanted to let them eat cake at lunch instead of screaming at them in the office like Popovic used to do, are low. I said it in the last thread but there are very few examples of a coach coming to a new club in the A-League and winning immediately."

Some of those players have been moved on...and so they should of been. Can only hope next season is better otherwise it will then be three seasons in a row where membership money has been wasted watching wannabes running around doing nothing.

Edited by sonar
3 hours ago, sonar said:

A lot of sarcasm.

A decent crop of players....please. Did you watch our games.? 

As I said before....the players will always remain blameless.

Players remain blameless? What utter horse ****. Baccus, Cejudo, Thwaite, Bridge, Hamil (regardless of improvement), Bonevacia, Jumpei and Riera (despite having a respectable season) copped it every week in the comments and discussion board.

You have an unbelievably short memory

Edited by mack
fixed a name
1 minute ago, Upthehill said:

You have an unbelievably short memory

I have a very good memory

So I'll use your expression back at you.....What utter horse ****.

The manager was blamed for the poor performance of the players week in week out.Hundreds of post where it's the managers fault the players were crap. Gombau is gone and fair enough as the results say he didn't deserve to stay.

Personaly I have the opinion the players share the majority of the blame for the utter lack of professionaism shown during the season on the field. They were the ones wearing the jerseys.They were the ones on the field.

I have worked for managers in business who were not very good at managing people but I still did my job and went about my duties in a professional mannner and I did those jobs with pride in my work.Our team showed none at times.

I can only hope our next season is better but as mack has pointed out some of those players will still be here.

21 minutes ago, sonar said:

I have a very good memory

So I'll use your expression back at you.....What utter horse ****.

The manager was blamed for the poor performance of the players week in week out.Hundreds of post where it's the managers fault the players were crap. Gombau is gone and fair enough as the results say he didn't deserve to stay.

Personaly I have the opinion the players share the majority of the blame for the utter lack of professionaism shown during the season on the field. They were the ones wearing the jerseys.They were the ones on the field.

I have worked for managers in business who were not very good at managing people but I still did my job and went about my duties in a professional mannner and I did those jobs with pride in my work.Our team showed none at times.

I can only hope our next season is better but as mack has pointed out some of those players will still be here.

Your statement that players remained blameless is objectively false. You’ve had it explained to you by numerous people now.

Move on

3 minutes ago, Upthehill said:

Your statement that players remained blameless is objectively false. You’ve had it explained to you by numerous people now.

Move on

Sorry but my statements are objectively true.

As to moving on, I have.

• mack locked this topic