WSW 18/19 & 19/20 Club Thread

They work a few hours a day and get paid handsomely for it. The majority of players who want that chance don't make it and are forced to face reality. Again, no one is forcing them to play.

Go and get a real job if they think it's all too hard.

47 minutes ago, Carns said:

They work a few hours a day and get paid handsomely for it. The majority of players who want that chance don't make it and are forced to face reality. Again, no one is forcing them to play.

Go and get a real job if they think it's all too hard.

You’re not getting me at all. I’m not arguing it’s a hard job.

14 hours ago, Bellby said:

I think you’ve missed my point, of course there are going to be players that don’t make it, that’s life & the nature of the job. 

My point is more that players in the A League get an easy ride & don’t work hard due to no relegation, ability to move clubs etc. MB trotted out the line when he was under the pump, but it’s just not true for the great majority of players within the league. Sure maybe a couple of returning Socceroos think they can come back & take the piss, see Cahill, but they generally get found out, also see Cahill. 

Where did he trot out that line when he was under the pump? All I recall is the pre season interview with Simon Hill. 

"I tell the players - hey, if you don’t perform, then the next one (player) is coming. Here if you do well, the chance to play is quite big, because we only have 23 players in the squad. Take out three goalkeepers, and it is only 20 outfield players - half of them are under 22, so its very easy to play. The challenge is not there. I think it is also the same for Australian football as a whole - they don’t have to fight for their places. Some players are 22 years old, and they have had three or four clubs, and you have only ten teams in the league! The pressure in Europe is much higher, and I want to prepare Roly and the other players for that."

He also reminded the players that they can play without fear, that they can't be relegated. 

15 hours ago, Bellby said:

I think you’ve missed my point, of course there are going to be players that don’t make it, that’s life & the nature of the job. 

My point is more that players in the A League get an easy ride & don’t work hard due to no relegation, ability to move clubs etc. MB trotted out the line when he was under the pump, but it’s just not true for the great majority of players within the league. Sure maybe a couple of returning Socceroos think they can come back & take the piss, see Cahill, but they generally get found out, also see Cahill. 

I get what youre saying - I don’t think that players in the A-League are necessarily taking the piss. No doubt they train hard and considering the time of year the aleague is played its hard not to. I just think they always know in the back of their minds that if it doesn’t work out at one club, there’s another 9, now soon to be 11 clubs they can shop themselves round to and generally pick up a contract with. Same with aussies OS, they always know the HAL will be there as a safety net because clubs put them on a pedestal and fight for them when they come back.

58 minutes ago, hughsey said:

I get what youre saying - I don’t think that players in the A-League are necessarily taking the piss. No doubt they train hard and considering the time of year the aleague is played its hard not to. I just think they always know in the back of their minds that if it doesn’t work out at one club, there’s another 9, now soon to be 11 clubs they can shop themselves round to and generally pick up a contract with. Same with aussies OS, they always know the HAL will be there as a safety net because clubs put them on a pedestal and fight for them when they come back.

As Babbel has quoted many times "mentality"

• mack changed the title to Coach and Staff Thread: The Babbel Era

There's that M word again.

nQVt30rX_bigger.jpgJames PearceVerified account @JamesPearceEcho
FollowingFollowing @JamesPearceEcho
More

Klopp on strong mentality of this #LFC team: "It's their readiness to deal with difficulties in a game. To stick to the plan is really important. Being consistent is the most difficult thing. This is a special group of players - that's why we have 94pts."

7:53 PM - 10 May 2019
52 minutes ago, btron3000 said:

Haliti always got it! But his quote is missing something I think.

”Belief, hard work, a never give up attitude and removing your shirt when you score a goal - that’s what the fans want”.

Preferably during the poznan, in the rain, in front of the rbb, right? 

I know MB rates also rates this lad.

He may be small in statue, but he's very tidy on the ball & doesn't lack heart

VPtlDWfm_bigger.jpgArthur Diles @ArthurDiles
FollowingFollowing @ArthurDiles
More

Arthur Diles Retweeted WS Wanderers FC

Extremely proud to see Fabi earn this prestigious award! Seeing him work hard daily without any fuss and constantly raising the bar for his team-mates to follow is a privilege. Keep working hard Fabi and the rewards will follow. Bravo! #WSW

Arthur Diles added,

D6fx8bKV4AEuDI5.jpg
WS Wanderers FCVerified account @wswanderersfc
A big congratulations to Fabian Monge who was named the Foxtel Y-League Player of the Year at last night's Dolan Warren Awards: http://wsw.football/2w5BgwZ  #WSW
2:11 PM - 14 May 2019

A-league has always been  in constant criticism in regards to its intensity, since the days Pim Verbeek was Socceroos coach who compared A-league games to training in the reserves of European teams, and several players and coaches since have made the same remark that its easy here.

I wander is it the training coaches implement, or just the general environment here with the lack of promotion/relegation and competition for starting spots and just general lack of infrastructure that allows this sense of security to come around. Is our general lack of intensity contributing to the failure of players going overseas because of the shock of how competitive it is overseas.

I remember an interview from Bruce Djite wile he was in Turkey, that in training pitch of his own team it was always competition and in those sessions he had no friends as he described the intensity and that everyone was fighting for places and it was culture shock for him because he had never experienced it before.

At the top we have Australian Central midfielders playing for a team the FFA treat with kid gloves who would get sent off every game for cynical fouls and bad tackles, here they "win the competition" by parking the bus for two hours then winning a shoot out after finishing second in the league and failing in the ACL yet again.

Overseas you get sent off in a game you might never play again.

Here there's no real threat to losing your job from overseas players once you make it past the nyl. Mitch Nichols had a 12 year career playing for half the league having two good seasons.

Micheal Theo impresses as a youth, goes to Blackpool only gets three games. Comes back eventually to Victory, then goes overseas again to Norwich. One game. 7-1 loss. Dropped. Manager sacked. Gets put back on the bench one game but shows up late. Terminated. Oh well back to the Aleague for 8 years.

There's no real consequences for clubs and that means no real consequences to the players. There's no clubs here that will literally just stop paying you when you don't perform, no threat of relegation that forces the owners to act hard and fast when their goals aren't being met.

Just constant recycling.

44 minutes ago, mack said:

no real consequences to the players

Baccus getting signed by Melbourne City after his shirt throwing antics at Wanderers comes to mind.  We sent the right message by giving him the chop, but there didn't seem to be any adverse consequences for his career as a result did there.

Squads are too small. Bump up the number of imports and senior players. Crank up the intensity at youth level.

We've seen it at WSW this year. As soon we signed three new senior players in the January transfer window and Bridgey returned, MB had options. All of sudden there was competition for the spots, and he even put Treejack on the bench when the training intensity wasn't right.

7 hours ago, Carns said:

How do we pay for the increased squad sizes with clubs losing money hand over fist? How do we afford better quality players to raise the standard?

The clubs want more of the broadcast deal which is the only way to get better quality players and/or increase squad size.

The best way to do get better quality visa players is remove some of the restrictions imposed by the FFA like having rent paid or a specific allowance for it outside the cap. Also, take the car allowance outside the cap. The FFA insists these are part of the cap. I think that the visa players should have a restriction in terms of position for each team:  1 defender, 1 midfielder,  1 forward with the other 2 not All being the same type of position e.g. cannot have 1 defender,  1 midfielder,  3 forwards. So 2 defenders max, 2 midfielders max or 2 forwards max.

To increase squad size, obviously the cap total per club has to increase with less money for Gallop. there could be 2 NPL rookies allowed per season both outside the cap. 

7 hours ago, Carns said:

How do we pay for the increased squad sizes with clubs losing money hand over fist? How do we afford better quality players to raise the standard?

I hear ya.

Pumping up the squad with HAL grade players is not the answer. Popa is able to squeeze the last drop of performance out of mediocre players with a focus on training intensity, fitness, and discipline. But S5 everyone (including the man himself) realized that this approach only gets you this far with players like Borda, Bruno, Melling, Dimas, Jumpei, Lustica, Bulut, Clisby.

Short term: increase the number of imports. The "good" Aussies that are hanging around in the HAL are seen as quality players and are paid reasonably well because of that, and because there's only few of them. But Brilliante, O'Neill, Davidson etc - they aren't THAT good. You can get a better football import professional for the same money. It would improve the quality of the squad immediately, and local players would have to work harder to make the match day squad.

Mid to long term: increase the squad size with more competent youth players, and that means a focus on youth development. MB and his coaching group lifted the capabilities of our youth players significantly as the season progressed, and we are going to see more of that. If one young wanderer per season makes the jump to Europe, it will be motivation for the other ambitious youngsters.

9 hours ago, Carns said:

It’s catch 22. Salary cap and squad restrictions stop teams getting transfer fees. 

They have to build more flexibility into the system somehow.

• mack locked and unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic