Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

5 hours ago, scarcev said:

I would rather a safe no namer who can do their job than a big name flop who comes out here on holiday and his profile distracts the team doing their job.  Name one big name marquee who has done anything in the A League Del Piero (barely), Gallas (flop), Yorke (flop), Heskey (flop), Fowler (flop), Romario (brief appearance flop), Villa (actually looked good but only 3 or 4 games) and then the Aussie ones, Cahill, Emerton, Kewell and Kennedy none really set the League on fire.  Who had heard of Broiche, Ono, Berisha, Ninkovic, Castro, Fornarolli?, and yet all had much more impact. A boke like Graham who has scored plenty in the last 3 seasons, playing in a league which is tough and physical and hasnt been plagued by injury with a good disciplinary record - yea I'll take that.

Yorke won the first Championship as well as giving the A-league some publicity, and pretty sure most football fans knew about Ono, but it's a good point. There is no need for a "name".

4 hours ago, Upthehill said:

I don't understand what the issue with Oriol was. He was scoring in big games, but he go let down a lot. He undeniably went through a slump in middle to late last season but the whole bloody squad was crap. You can hardly hang the blame on one bloke.
Sounds like his heart just wasn't in it after the season and wanted to leave. I certainly wouldn't have complained if we'd kept him one more season though.

You mean his heart wasn't in it after season 1. 

You train like you play! 

If you miss more than one penalty in your career, (or at least a season) you're doing something very wrong

2 hours ago, hughsey said:

The blokes a big unit, tough as nails, never injured, scores goals and is loved by all. Apparently that’s irrelevant cause he’s not a big name? He could be called Ben Dover for all I care, this sounds like a brilliant signing.

Some of you have been brainwashed by David Gallop...

I think you mean David Lewis, rather than Gallop

2 hours ago, sonar said:

Santii......

FFA Cup

La Copa de Australia de la Federación de Fútbol, comúnmente conocida como la Copa FFA, es la principal competencia nacional de la Copa Eliminatoria de Fútbol en Australia. La competencia anual está organizada por la Federación de Fútbol de Australia y lleva su nombre. Cuenta con todos los equipos de la división superior, la A-League, así como de los niveles más bajos en las ligas australianas, incluidas las Ligas Nacionales Premier. [1] Los equipos ingresan a la competencia en etapas progresivas, con rondas de clasificación utilizadas para determinar qué equipos de división inferior se unen finalmente a los de la A-League en las etapas posteriores de la copa. Desde su inicio hasta 2017 fue patrocinado por el Grupo Westfield y conocido como la Copa Westfield FFA. [2]

A-League

La A-League es la liga profesional de fútbol masculino de más alto nivel en Australia. En la cima del sistema de la liga australiana, es la principal competencia del país para el deporte. La A-League fue establecida en 2004 por la Federación de Fútbol de Australia (FFA) como sucesora de la National Soccer League (NSL) y la competencia comenzó en agosto de 2005. La liga está actualmente disputada por once equipos; diez con sede en Australia y uno con sede en Nueva Zelanda. Es conocida como la Hyundai A-League a través de un acuerdo de patrocinio con Hyundai Motor Company. Las temporadas van de octubre a mayo e incluyen una temporada regular de 26 rondas seguida de un desempate de la Serie de Finales que involucra a los equipos mejor clasificados, que culmina en un gran partido final. El ganador del torneo de la temporada regular se llama el "primer ministro", mientras que el ganador de la gran final es el "campeón" de la temporada. Esto difiere de los otros códigos importantes de fútbol en Australia, donde 'premier' se refiere al ganador de la gran final y el ganador de la temporada regular es el 'premier menor'.

Que?

Would love Danny Graham. Besides a name that puts bums on seats, hes almost everything we need.

Question is how we get him from blackburn. They would be doing him the favour because he wants to be here. Otherwise i imagine they would have to offer a multi year deal.

2 minutes ago, DeeDee said:

Would love Danny Graham. Besides a name that puts bums on seats, hes almost everything we need.

Question is how we get him from blackburn. They would be doing him the favour because he wants to be here. Otherwise i imagine they would have to offer a multi year deal.

His coach is keen to change the club style, and I think Graham is likely to be very frustrated. That would work in our favour.

43 minutes ago, Paul01 said:

I think he Gallop only ever wanted EPL players like Beckham who we could not afford in our league

What does that have to do with the accuracy of the clickbait article on the World Game site?

5 minutes ago, wswtragic said:

Read the article again. It doesn't quote any sources, reputable or otherwise.

It's clickbait on top of clickbait, that's today's media cycle for you.

I posted last night, that there appears to be no substance to the article from our end 

Australian side Western Sydney Wanderers are interested in a move for Danny Graham – but the Rovers striker looks set to stay at Ewood Park.

Tony Mowbray revealed he was approached by the A-League side about the possibility of signing Graham whose deal expires at the end of the season.

But it is understood the A-League side, managed by former Rover Markus Babbel, had floated the prospect of Graham ending his contract with Rovers early to sign an extended deal with Wanderers ahead of the new season which starts on October 11.

“I did take a random call and I think that was a possibility,” Mowbray told the Lancashire Telegraph of Graham who has 55 Rovers goals since arriving in January 2016.

“I ran it by Danny out of respect for Danny Graham. The conversation I had was about the term of that contract.

“I would hope that he’d want to stay and fight for his place and enjoy his career at this club because I want him to enjoy his football.

“At the same time, the terms I was told of that deal would have been good for Danny Graham so I felt rather than keep that one discussion to myself I would let him make the decision.

“It looks to me, because nothing has come of it, is that he’s happy to stay here and fight for his place and be part of Blackburn Rovers.”

1 minute ago, Taurus said:

Read the article again. It doesn't quote any sources, reputable or otherwise.

It's clickbait on top of clickbait, that's today's media cycle for you

I would have thought the coach of Blackburn giving quotes on Danny Graham being offered a deal by WSW was a reputable source :o 

It ain't happening, he's probably one of several we have touched base with, that's why I made the comment last night. 

This is the article I had read & was basing my comments on re sources.

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/three-reasons-why-blackburn-must-react-in-the-right-way-as-danny-graham-transfer-news-emerges/

12 minutes ago, Pup55 said:

I would have thought the coach of Blackburn giving quotes on Danny Graham being offered a deal by WSW was a reputable source :o 

11 minutes ago, wswtragic said:

Ok - but they are quoting the Manager.

The weather today is warmer than probably 90% of the days these guys over in England train/play on. Summer is is still 2 and half months away. I can’t help but feel the brutal conditions which our season are played in don’t help the recruitment drive as it’s becoming more well known abroad.

Willy Gallas didn’t stop complaining about it the whole time he was here lol

1 hour ago, hughsey said:

The weather today is warmer than probably 90% of the days these guys over in England train/play on. Summer is is still 2 and half months away. I can’t help but feel the brutal conditions which our season are played in don’t help the recruitment drive as it’s becoming more well known abroad.

Willy Gallas didn’t stop complaining about it the whole time he was here lol

It is definitely a factor, but most of the aforementioned Championship level players who've done well here (Keogh, Le Fondre, O'Donovan etc.) have seemed to cope OK.

Gallas was 36 or older when he arrived.

7 minutes ago, wswnick said:

So, Taurus says "not happening" (which is what I am hearing as well) while Pup believes the opposite is true. Time will tell. The comments suggests, IF Graham was to arrive at WSW, we'll have another leader, a player Blackburn fans don't want to see go.

Graham is the kind of player we should be able to expect. Campbell was the initial target, and going by the stats, Graham is as good as Campbell. Step up from Le Fondre and RoD.

4 hours ago, Upthehill said:

A perfect example of why the club seems to be shying away from talking about marquees. People will drill down on one bloke despite there being 22 other supposedly professional players in the squad. 

Riera dragged us kicking and screaming through many games, but we've boiled his stay down to 5 missed opportunities. So much so that his goals in big games have been blanked out - they've literally been forgotten.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying there aren't better options, but I'm not so sure he would have been ineffective with an actual midfield behind him.

My view of Riera is shaped or colored by his performance last season.

The big three were Glory, Smurfs, VIC. He did not score goals (plural) against them, just one, in the Janjetovic derby. And in the games against the lesser teams he cost us. Can't blame anyone else in the team if the CF misses sitters. He faded as the season progressed, and only got back into gear once Yeboah and Duke showed up.

That's why he is gone. He was part of the problem, not of the solution.

10 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Managers, agents, owners, coaches and even the players themselves have no input into the decision. Has anyone spoken to his wife! Just saying.

• mack locked and unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic