Wanderers Unbeaten Run Ends In Geelong

1 hour ago, Carns said:

Babbel is usually one of the more open managers with the media.

I remember as a kid I was acting up on a weekend drive/picnic with my folks and they drove off to teach me a lesson. I can relate to both being left behind, as well as being the parent. 

1 hour ago, Carns said:

Babbel is usually one of the more open managers with the media.

Reminds me of the FFA Cup game up in Darwin.  I stood up waiting to acknowledge the players after the game, but they all knicked off straight away except for the physio who called out to me to get the attention of his mum who was sitting behind me in the stand.

I think we'll see a new formation after the bye. Well, not a new one, but back to the 3 at the back which worked in pre-season. The 4-2-2-2 isn't working, and with Ziegler now back in the frame it wouldn't surprise me to see us go back to 3 at the back. We played 3 at the back for most of the pre-season, then Meier arrived and it didn't quite work and we didn't have enough fit CBs so we mixed it up.

I think Georgevski (and Kamau) were just about our best in pre-season playing as more advanced wing backs, as opposed to left and right backs, so if Bruce is back after the bye, we might see Wilmering back to the bench and move back to the wing back formation. Yeboah can have a spell on the bench as well. I think if he and Adam are both on the bench, they provide us 2 attacking options that have some pace and can seriously cause some trouble.

I'd also give Baccus a rocket and make sure he knows that his spot in the starting XI is no longer secure / guaranteed. He has gone backwards after such a good year last year and needs something to wake him up. It might even be a week or 2 on the bench.

Duke - Meier

Muller

Baccus - Schwegler
Georgevski---------------------------------------Kamau

Jurman - Ziegler - McGowan

Lopar

Bench - Suman, Tass, Russell, Wilmering, Grozos, Adam, Yeboah. 

16 minutes ago, Pup55 said:

I think we'll see a new formation after the bye. Well, not a new one, but back to the 3 at the back which worked in pre-season. The 4-2-2-2 isn't working, and with Ziegler now back in the frame it wouldn't surprise me to see us go back to 3 at the back. We played 3 at the back for most of the pre-season, then Meier arrived and it didn't quite work and we didn't have enough fit CBs so we mixed it up.

I think Georgevski (and Kamau) were just about our best in pre-season playing as more advanced wing backs, as opposed to left and right backs, so if Bruce is back after the bye, we might see Wilmering back to the bench and move back to the wing back formation. Yeboah can have a spell on the bench as well. I think if he and Adam are both on the bench, they provide us 2 attacking options that have some pace and can seriously cause some trouble.

I'd also give Baccus a rocket and make sure he knows that his spot in the starting XI is no longer secure / guaranteed. He has gone backwards after such a good year last year and needs something to wake him up. It might even be a week or 2 on the bench.

Duke - Meier

Muller

Baccus - Schwegler
Georgevski---------------------------------------Kamau

Jurman - Ziegler - McGowan

Lopar

Bench - Suman, Tass, Russell, Wilmering, Grozos, Adam, Yeboah. 

I think with Kamau for we might see this

out 3-5-2 problem is we only have 2 wing backs that can attack well enough to play it. Elrich is too old get forward and back and for now willmerring’s game ain’t there yet 

I think Wilmering is really just a shade short of being a first team player at this stage , his feet are good but his processing of situations is just a little slow , with maturity is going to be good for us.

The back 3 is a given Jurman, Ziegler and McGowan

Would be good to see Georgevski back on his good side and Kamau on the right as Pup has hilited

We have been overrun in midfield in 4 and half games so we need to strengthen that area  and moving Georgevski and Kamau up the park a little and adding some more attacking choices to Muller would be good and Muller getting Fitter will help a lot to. 

There is another option up front and that is Sullivan to AM and Muller up front with Duke or Muller stays in AM and Adam sits up front next to Duke. Meir to me has offered nothing up front his movement off the ball is non existent 5 games in he is a disappointment sitting him on the bench might put a rocket under him.

Good team selection Pup , but:

Baccus has to pick up his game especially but the whole team needs a lesson on first touches and finding a player with a decent pass 

Mo Adam and Yeboah will best serve us as last 20 minute players when the legs are weary on defenders.

I hope Babbel is up to achieving a cohesive team but I am getting a little concerned and leaving the ground on Saturday with a hissy fit and leaving Georgesvki behind won't help team moral. 

I by no means consider myself a football expert, but I thought Wilmering and Baccus were both better than last week.  Yeboah seemed to have got some of his touch back as well.  Maybe it a matter of a bit more fine tuning and we will start humming like a well oiled machine.

Do agree about wanting to see Georgevski back on the left.

Edited by LeeMarvin
Afterthought

What did people think about seeing Hamill on the bench for Western? He looked a bit sad, although I have only ever seen him with that expression.  Would he have preferred to still be Wanderers captain and giving his customary losing speech after the match, or coming off the bench for Western in the last few minutes and being on the winning side I wonder?

6 minutes ago, LeeMarvin said:

LOL. Logically I agree, but a cold response nonetheless. 

Not cold just the harsh reality. From club cptn to bench for a new club. Ask yourself this question......Who, if any, of our former players from last season would you have kept. ? 

Edited by sonar
11 minutes ago, sonar said:

Not cold just the harsh reality. From club cptn to bench for a new club. Ask yourself this question......Who, if any, of our former players from last season would you have kept. ? 

Riera, if his head was in the right space, which I have no way of knowing.  Same for Roly.  It is a moot point though coz obviously Babbel had his own ideas.

1 hour ago, LeeMarvin said:

What did people think about seeing Hamill on the bench for Western? He looked a bit sad, although I have only ever seen him with that expression.  Would he have preferred to still be Wanderers captain and giving his customary losing speech after the match, or coming off the bench for Western in the last few minutes and being on the winning side I wonder?

We got the best out of him in 2014 in the ACL but kept him another 4 years with increasingly poor form. Meh.

16 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

Perhaps it was fate that he scored in that manner, had the ball been passed or meant for him he'd have probably lost control of it,

If you listen to the replay (without commentary) you can hear everyone nearby calling out "Kubi!", assuming for the pass and not to take the shot. 

Credit to him that it was actually on target. 

15 hours ago, Prydzopolis said:

5) Lots of pressure on Babbel to come up with a new plan but is he capable of finding a solution?

Let's be honest, at least he isn't popa where we wouldn't change formation no matter the circumstance but he isn't that good to be able to change things on the go. If he was, he probably wouldn't be in Australia right now. I am willing to back him to get it right, there has been a substantial improvement in our side & there has been signs in the CCM & victory (don't forget preseason too) that our team can play at a much higher level. When you consider that both Duke & KY both had injuries late in preseason, both underdone. Plus AM & Mueller both came late & underdone both from a team cohesion & fitness perspective. This will be a welcome break for the team & manager to get things right.

Injuries hasn't helped him and we have a bench full of youth players who are more than capable of holding their own. I am not making excuses for Babbel I do think there are certain players who shouldn't be in the starting 11. I think the most important thing is we really missed Jurman' leadership at the back.

This 'bye' is a blessing in disguise, we needed this break, the players haven't really gelled together and there are a lot of fitness issues and concerns relating to some players

They must have stayed in Geelong or Melbourne another night (or had a bus drive back to Sydney) since I don't think they could have been able to get a flight back because of the 11pm Sydney curfew, the game would have ended after the last flight left.

Maybe they had some kind of special flight that they were trying to get? Would think the club would have released a statement by now.

6 minutes ago, mack said:

They must have stayed in Geelong or Melbourne another night (or had a bus drive back to Sydney) since I don't think they could have been able to get a flight back because of the 11pm Sydney curfew, the game would have ended after the last flight left.

Maybe they had some kind of special flight that they were trying to get? Would think the club would have released a statement by now.

The club has been unusually quiet on the team news front since the game..? Trouble at mill. ?

46 minutes ago, beatsurrender said:

Agree. It's poor unless there  is a good explanation. Give him the benefit of the doubt but if he's just chucked his toys out of the pram he deserves a fine. 

I remember on the TV coverage from Geelong that, at one point, he was sitting on the bench looking ropeable, arms folded, and shaking his head. His offsider was glancing sideways at him, looking more than a bit nervous/anxious.

It's one of the things that irritated me big time last year - watching him sitting on the bench, arms folded, shaking his head, when things weren't going well.

Would prefer to see him get off his backside, and yelling from the sidelines/directing his players,  tbh....rather than sitting and stewing on the sidelines.

As for leaving a player behind - that's almost unbelievable!

A kindy teacher with 30 5 year old kids to manage wouldn't do that.  :fool:

1 hour ago, wendybr said:

Its actually not that uncommon lol It has happened at Boro loads of times and usually forms an amusing anecdote in a former players book :D

It is true to say that it happened most when Paul Gascoigne played for us, I think he once drove the team bus off and left the team behind :D Loads of stories like that usually involving Gazza and Paul Merson. 

10 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

I think with Kamau for we might see this

out 3-5-2 problem is we only have 2 wing backs that can attack well enough to play it. Elrich is too old get forward and back and for now willmerring’s game ain’t there yet 

The biggest problem with 3-5-2 is the lack of players who can play the wingback position. Have to be able to defend, attack, and run a zillion miles.

It also means no wingers or purely attacking players out wide. There’s a reason why it went out of fashion - only one team had Cafu and Roberto Carlos.

That said, i agree it should help us. We need to do something to help give us numbers and options in midfield.

3 hours ago, wendybr said:

A kindy teacher is responsible for the 30 kids, the players are adults. If they needed to get to the bus at a certain time, they needed to get to the bus. Or maybe DG is late all the time and Babbel was teaching him a lesson.

Either way, I bet the players are laughing at him and will stir him up. Should make for some dressing room banter.

Edited by btron3000
13 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Its actually not that uncommon lol It has happened at Boro loads of times and usually forms an amusing anecdote in a former players book :D

It is true to say that it happened most when Paul Gascoigne played for us, I think he once drove the team bus off and left the team behind :D Loads of stories like that usually involving Gazza and Paul Merson. 

In the Class of 92 doco they told a story of a young Nicky Butt being shoved into a kitbag, padlocked shut and chucked into the cargo area of the team bus with all the other kitbags.