Wellington Phoenix vs Western Sydney Wanderers 23/12/2023 5:30PM

Just now, StringerBellend said:

Hopefully we are looking at a couple of foreign imports for Jan. I'm happy enough with our table position but we are desperate for a Ninko type player and a Centre Back..

If we get 1 foreign signing and a semi decent aussie, i'll be over the moon. A swap back to the 4231 + a proper 10 + a CB and I reckon we will be humming along 

36 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

Tough one...would take a point.

We have to aim to win these games away and against teams higher on the ladder than us.

Having said that I think we will lose unfortunately...:sorry:

Too many senior players missing...( Borello,Ninko,Brilliante )

Edited by sonar

The Nix game on Monday they were tired the fatigue of travel finally set in. So I wander if we got them at the right time, because its their first proper week in a while.

As always Davila is the one to stop but now they also have Germain who is a very good footballer, along with Da Silva who seems to be growing in his role that Sterjovski has for him. So the 3 we need to look out for, that can hurt us.

1 hour ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

The Nix game on Monday they were tired the fatigue of travel finally set in. So I wander if we got them at the right time, because its their first proper week in a while.

As always Davila is the one to stop but now they also have Germain who is a very good footballer, along with Da Silva who seems to be growing in his role that Sterjovski has for him. So the 3 we need to look out for, that can hurt us.

brain fart moment for some reason I saw Macarthur not Nix :blink:. Please continue match discussions

7 hours ago, sonar said:

We have to aim to win these games away and against teams higher on the ladder than us.

Having said that I think we will lose unfortunately...:sorry:

Too many senior players missing...( Borello,Ninko,Brilliante )

Amazing that in R1 we were most disappointed in a 0-0 draw despite outplaying them.

41 minutes ago, Keithie said:

So what do you think the best team is we can put on the park against Wellington on Saturday , excluding Brilliante, Ninkovic ,Beadling and Borello. Any news on Beadling's injury.

You don't have to ask me twice to produce a starting 11. LOL.

Thomas

Simmons  Marcelo  Bonetig  Clisby

Hendrix  Priestman

Pieras                                       Yuel

Antonnson  Milanovic 

I would have said Brook instead of Pieras a few weeks ago, but to his credit Pieras has been effective at bringing Antonnson into the game. I am feeling optimistic about Yuel as well given his performances so far.        

3 hours ago, MartinTyler said:

Amazing that in R1 we were most disappointed in a 0-0 draw despite outplaying them.

While we are an ok team you can only go on form and while we may be near the top of the ladder,at the moment we are not a championship winning squad.

We are too inconsistent.

I think defensively we may be ok but we struggle in the midfield and the final third.

Which wanderers teams will turn out...the good, the bad or the ugly. ?

13 hours ago, JustWandering said:

You don't have to ask me twice to produce a starting 11. LOL.

Thomas

Simmons  Marcelo  Bonetig  Clisby

Hendrix  Priestman

Pieras                                       Yuel

Antonnson  Milanovic 

I would have said Brook instead of Pieras a few weeks ago, but to his credit Pieras has been effective at bringing Antonnson into the game. I am feeling optimistic about Yuel as well given his performances so far.        

Yeah, this is Pierias though. It's the reason he's here and not in a minor European league. I agree, he's been much better the last 2 or so games, and I'm hoping he can continue that. The upside is Brook will be on the bench ready to go if he's not cutting the mustard. Its the only area of the field we have any true depth at the moment

We may not be at the level of Sydney FC or Melbourne City in their dominant eras, but I am optimistic about our chances of winning both the premiership and championship this season. Last season I was more cautious about getting my hopes up, but we remained in the top 4 all season and were just unluckily to draw Sydney FC in the finals. You can throw form out the window in the derby, it's always going to be a 50-50 bet.

The fact that we have now been around the top of the table for a season and a half tells me the club is being run right. Yes we lost to Victory, but I was not that impressed with them. Fornaroli made the most of some poor defensive decisions, I am confident we will not be giving him much opportunity next time we meet.

53 minutes ago, JustWandering said:

We may not be at the level of Sydney FC or Melbourne City in their dominant eras, but I am optimistic about our chances of winning both the premiership and championship this season. Last season I was more cautious about getting my hopes up, but we remained in the top 4 all season and were just unluckily to draw Sydney FC in the finals. You can throw form out the window in the derby, it's always going to be a 50-50 bet.

The fact that we have now been around the top of the table for a season and a half tells me the club is being run right. Yes we lost to Victory, but I was not that impressed with them. Fornaroli made the most of some poor defensive decisions, I am confident we will not be giving him much opportunity next time we meet.

We weren't unlucky to get Sydney in final we were stupid, in our last game, giving that daft goal away at the end we could easily avoided Sydney 

That said so what they were shite we just didn't compete in that game 

Saturday, December 23: Wellington Phoenix v Western Sydney Wanderers (3.30pm AEDT)

Wellington Phoenix squad: 3. Finn SURMAN, 4. Scott WOOTTON, 5. Fin CONCHIE, 6. Tim PAYNE, 7. Kosta BARBAROUSES, 8. Ben OLD, 10. David BALL, 11. Bozhidar KRAEV, 12. Mo AL-TAAY, 14. Alex RUFER (c), 15. Nicholas PENNINGTON, 18. Lukas KELLY-HEALD, 19. Sam SUTTON, 23. Luke SUPYK, 24. Oskar VAN HATTUM, 25. Jack DUNCAN (gk), 26. Isaac HUGHES, 40. Alex PAULSEN (gk), 42. Fergus GILLION, 43. Matt SHERIDAN

Two to be omitted

Ins: Nil

Outs: Nil

Unavailable: 9. Oskar ZAWADA (injured)

Western Sydney Wanderers squad: 6.Marcelo GUEDES, 7.Dylan PIERIAS, 9. Marcus ANTONSSON, 10.Milos NINKOVIC, 11.Valentino YUEL, 13.Tate RUSSELL, 14.Nicolas MILANOVIC, 16.Tom BEADLING, 17.Lachlan BROOK, 19.Jack CLISBY, 20.Lawrence THOMAS (GK) 21.Jorrit HENDRIX, 29.Dylan SCICLUNA, 31.Aidan SIMMONS, 33.Alex BONETIG, 36.Oscar PRIESTMAN, 39.Marcus YOUNIS, 40.Jack GIBSON (GK).

Ins: 10.Milos NINKOVIC (promoted)

Outs: 25.Josh BRILLANTE (suspended – two matches), 37.Alex BADOLATO

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic