Western Sydney Stadium Construction (New Parramatta Stadium)

mack

One of my sons told me yesterday that he did some work at the site in December and is about to do some more. His role involves assessing the asbestos risks and recommending how to deal with them.

that sounds like a good sign, also sounds like an interesting role

**** asbestos. I dont envy your sons role

It's all good. Would wear the right protection. The business he works for assesses a variety of OH&S risks. It's all a matter of applying scientific knowledge and processes.

Absolutely. We deal with asbestos almost daily and it's ****, but there are numerous methods of avoiding exposure, and being his primary role he would be able to maximise those. At the end of the day, it's horrible stuff but can be avoided. I just personally hate it

From an article in the SMH:

"The new Parramatta stadium will cost $360 million, while ANZ Stadium is likely to cost up to $800 million to be transformed into the state's premier rectangular facility."[/size]

Has the price gone up?[/size]

More for safe standing? ;)

Asbestos is a natural material that can be found in rocks. You breathe in up to a million particles a year. (now that's scary to think about).

One of my sons told me yesterday that he did some work at the site in December and is about to do some more. His role involves assessing the asbestos risks and recommending how to deal with them.

It's all good. Would wear the right protection. The business he works for assesses a variety of OH&S risks. It's all a matter of applying scientific knowledge and processes.

Absolutely. We deal with asbestos almost daily and it's ****, but there are numerous methods of avoiding exposure, and being his primary role he would be able to maximise those. At the end of the day, it's horrible stuff but can be avoided. I just personally hate it

"The new Parramatta stadium will cost $360 million, while ANZ Stadium is likely to cost up to $800 million to be transformed into the state's premier rectangular facility."[/size]

Asbestos is a natural material that can be found in rocks. You breathe in up to a million particles a year. (now that's scary to think about).

Yep, and there's different types. The scary part is that in the old asbestos mining communities it was often not the man/miner who contracted asbestos, but their wife who washed their clothing. Some people aren't terribly affected, others are. That's why it's a **** of a natural fibre

I had a nightmare that our new stadium would consist of a number of park benches overlooking a potato field...

That would be a good dream for an Irishman, or a half Irishman such as myself.....

Yep, and there's different types. The scary part is that in the old asbestos mining communities it was often not the man/miner who contracted asbestos, but their wife who washed their clothing. Some people aren't terribly affected, others are. That's why it's a **** of a natural fibre

I have heard stories of kids growing up in those mining communities where by they used to play in asbestos and chuck it at each other and pretend it was snow!

Im not sure if this is relevant to this thread but a mate of mine who was at the Bulldogs AGM claims that bulldogs, parra and tigers and possibly souths sydney are looking to play their homes at the new Parramatta stadium while ANZ is being redeveloped between 2020-2022.

Bloody hell, in the other thread there was an article stating the Waratahs are thinking of using it too.

This will be typical of football's existence in this country. We come in, force them to build a new stadium, and then once it's done Rugby League and Union will bump us to second class citizens playing on cut-up turf for the start and end of our seasons.

Im not sure if this is relevant to this thread but a mate of mine who was at the Bulldogs AGM claims that bulldogs, parra and tigers and possibly souths sydney are looking to play their homes at the new Parramatta stadium while ANZ is being redeveloped between 2020-2022.

Bloody hell, in the other thread there was an article stating the Waratahs are thinking of using it too.

This will be typical of football's existence in this country. We come in, force them to build a new stadium, and then once it's done Rugby League and Union will bump us to second class citizens playing on cut-up turf for the start and end of our seasons.

Waratah supporters will bitch and moan about having to travel further west than Broadway. The idea won't last long, just like the ANZ Stadium move wasn't popular either.

I hear potential location for the new pools is being finalised.

So it should too. While a new stadium is a priority for me personally a suburb like Parra deserves a top public pool and it should never have been allowed to be an issue in the first place. A new pool site and commitment to build should have been made when the stadium was announced.

Edited by beatsurrender

I hear potential location for the new pools is being finalised.

Thats Good news for the Stadium project (one less group complaining about it)

and Great news for us locals (there ones who actually use the pools, not the rent-a-crowd who were complaining about it).

The swimming pools themselves were very good, but the facilities were atrocious.

The baby change table was disgusting, so had to change the 1y.o. on the bench that people sit on. (The lesser of 2 evils).

Thats after waiting 5-10 minutes for the one changing/disabled room to become available, as every parent with a baby/toddler had to use it.

So any new facility will be an improvement on that. :)

The old pools would have been a money pit for the council just to maintain and keep open, and the cost to replace with new would be the tens of millions.

Getting brand new pools funded by state gov (I think this is correct?) is a great commercial outcome for Parramatta Council and there is no way that a small community group protest will have any relevance here.

The old pools would have been a money pit for the council just to maintain and keep open, and the cost to replace with new would be the tens of millions.

Getting brand new pools funded by state gov (I think this is correct?) is a great commercial outcome for Parramatta Council and there is no way that a small community group protest will have any relevance here.

Parramatta council doesn't have the funds to do it, would assume that there would have been a verbal agreement by the state government to replace the pool retaken for the new stadium. The venue likely would be the old golf course which is currently sitting untouched at the moment, if so would be fantastic for Parramatta :good:

I'm hearing different location is in the mix.

This is the last on location I have seen.  2 locations within the Mays Hill Precinct are being further investigated.

Will the new City of Parramatta aquatic facility be located within the Mays Hill Precinct?

In June 2016 the NSW Government announced the Mays Hill Precinct as the preferred location for a new aquatic facility to replace the Parramatta Swimming Centre, which will close at the end of March 2017 to facilitate the construction of the Government’s new Western Sydney Stadium.

City of Parramatta Council undertook a draft site suitability assessment in late 2016 which identified two potential site options within the Mays Hill Precinct and further analysis is being conducted to confirm a new aquatic facility location.

Council will undertake detailed planning for the new aquatic facility which will include development options, financial analysis and identifying the community’s current and future needs – all of which will influence the selection of an appropriate aquatic facility site.

The final site suitability assessment will form part of the Parramatta Part Trust’s Mays Hill Master Plan and City of Parramatta will work closely with the Trust to ensure the best outcome for the Precinct and future community users. 

https://www.parrapark.com.au/about-us/park-projects/mays-hill-precinct-master-plan/mays-hill-precinct-masterplan-faqs/

Edited by Flytox

I went and had a bit of a look today.

There's certainly been a really decent building fence erected. Quite tall with 3 strands of barbed wire on top surrounding the whole site, including the carpark between the stadium and the Leagues Club.

Some site sheds have been set up on the eastern side just outside the main entrance.

All seats have been removed except the whole of the eastern terrace.

An excavator was working at the north east corner and looked to be ripping out concrete. I saw some quite large chunks piled up just on the field where the CPC crew sit.

Also looked to be a small drilling rig on the field in the south west corner drilling what looked like some pilot test holes.

It's a very large site and will obviously grow when the pool closes in March.

I'm hearing different location is in the mix.

This is the last on location I have seen.  2 locations within the Mays Hill Precinct are being further investigated.

Will the new City of Parramatta aquatic facility be located within the Mays Hill Precinct?

In June 2016 the NSW Government announced the Mays Hill Precinct as the preferred location for a new aquatic facility to replace the Parramatta Swimming Centre, which will close at the end of March 2017 to facilitate the construction of the Government’s new Western Sydney Stadium.

City of Parramatta Council undertook a draft site suitability assessment in late 2016 which identified two potential site options within the Mays Hill Precinct and further analysis is being conducted to confirm a new aquatic facility location.

Council will undertake detailed planning for the new aquatic facility which will include development options, financial analysis and identifying the community’s current and future needs – all of which will influence the selection of an appropriate aquatic facility site.

The final site suitability assessment will form part of the Parramatta Part Trust’s Mays Hill Master Plan and City of Parramatta will work closely with the Trust to ensure the best outcome for the Precinct and future community users.

https://www.parrapark.com.au/about-us/park-projects/mays-hill-precinct-master-plan/mays-hill-precinct-masterplan-faqs/

My rumour is they are also considering a JV with a private developer in another location.

• mack locked this topic