Golec Guns Down Guangzhou

A furious Marcello Lippi has accused Western Sydney Wanderers FC players of trying to get his players sent off after his nine-man Guangzhou were toppled 1-0 by the Wanderers in a fiery ACL first leg quarter final on Wednesday night.

In a farcical end to the match, Lippi and members of his coaching staff stormed the field in stoppage time after Chinese international Gao Lin was dismissed.

It came just minutes after Zhang Linpeng also saw red, leaving the Italian World Cup-winning mentor incensed.

Lippi let rip in the post-match press conference, taking aim at the referee as well as Wanderers import Vitor Saba.

“I’m little bit upset. I know I couldn’t go inside the field but you also watched the match and the last 10 minutes there were two red cards,†Lippi said through an interpreter.

“The second one was really close to me, I saw that and it wasn’t on purpose. I also saw that during the match, the opponent was trying (to get my players a second yellow card). I’m not sure why the referee didn’t see this.

“…It’s not good in soccer to see like their number 10 (Saba) to be falling down and being so fake. It’s not good to see that sort of thing. For the good of the Asian Champions League we don’t want to see these type of things anymore.â€

Lippi admitted he was wrong to enter the field and later tried to apologise to the referee, only to be turned away.

“You know me quite well and I have participated in all the main events in my career, like the World Cup and Champions League. I know it was wrong to go on the field but I just wanted to ask the referee why he gave the second red card,†Lippi said.

“I didn’t understand why he chose this. And then when I got inside I also tried to apologise to him, but one of the people didn’t let me go inside. It’s disappointing.

“Everyone that knows me knows I’m an educated person. At the end of the match I just wanted to apologise but they didn’t give me the chance. I don’t know why.

“I’m not upset for the match that we lost 1-0. We have our home match in one week and I trust we can do a good performance at home and advance to the semi-final.â€

Wanderers boss Tony Popovic hit out at Lippi’s actions.

“I don’t know what he was upset about. Their coaches can not go on the pitch,†he said.

“I’m sure if I went on the pitch I would be sent off. You can’t condone their coaches going on the pitch.

“We all disagree with decisions referees make, we voice our opinion from the sideline. They ran onto the pitch and manhandled a player. That I can’t accept.â€

Edited by wanderersfanatic

FWIW I don't think Gao Lin meant to do that and that a yellow would've sufficed. However if you watch plenty of football games, you'll always see players get into a situation where they need to watch their feet because they could stand on a player that they've just fouled, and they always carefully place their foot next to the nearest body part. If Gao Lin was stupid enough to not look down then he's an idiot. If he meant it then he's a **** who needs a boot to the face.

Very well said nisman, look I don't think we will ever know from both players whether they can truly answer whether they meant it or whether they did it on purpose because they are both going to lie through there teeth and argue 1. He will say he didn't mean it and 2. Saba will say he got hit flush on the face.

As I said based on the post-match replay, I felt he definitely left a bit of his boot in on him (I think rookoz took a screen shot which showed connection) and I'm now coming to the realization that Saba possibly/ probably played it up (even la Rocca too, as if he got shot by a sniper).

I'm actually surprised the Evergrande trolls haven't found WSF, would sure be funny giving it to trolls with some of the creative arguments they have come up with WSW but they should definitely leave that racist **** at home, both sides!! I love a good argument or going after a troll (remember the MV teenager with his awards, hilarious) but when they start making death threats or taking personal shots, they have taken it a step too far....

Does anyone know if I'm going to be attacked in Eastwood tomorrow wearing my WSW shirt? Or is it not predominately Chinese in Eastwood?

FWIW I don't think Gao Lin meant to do that and that a yellow would've sufficed. However if you watch plenty of football games, you'll always see players get into a situation where they need to watch their feet because they could stand on a player that they've just fouled, and they always carefully place their foot next to the nearest body part. If Gao Lin was stupid enough to not look down then he's an idiot. If he meant it then he's a **** who needs a boot to the face.

Very well said nisman, look I don't think we will ever know from both players whether they can truly answer whether they meant it or whether they did it on purpose because they are both going to lie through there teeth and argue 1. He will say he didn't mean it and 2. Saba will say he got hit flush on the face.

As I said based on the post-match replay, I felt he definitely left a bit of his boot in on him (I think rookoz took a screen shot which showed connection) and I'm now coming to the realization that Saba possibly/ probably played it up (even la Rocca too, as if he got shot by a sniper).

I'm actually surprised the Evergrande trolls haven't found WSF, would sure be funny giving it to trolls with some of the creative arguments they have come up with WSW but they should definitely leave that racist **** at home, both sides!! I love a good argument or going after a troll (remember the MV teenager with his awards, hilarious) but when they start making death threats or taking personal shots, they have taken it a step too far....

Does anyone know if I'm going to be attacked in Eastwood tomorrow wearing my WSW shirt? Or is it not predominately Chinese in Eastwood?

That bloke with his awards hahahaha he can't come back here again until he goes out and earns some more
Guest mickisnot

You can't make this stuff up

peter_gong0927:

Guy you make me awful. You should apologise to Guangzhou. To Gaolin

hei_yeah:

**** you bithch, you will know how terrible to be ****ed in guangzhou. see you in guangzhou,if you cry in that night,i will first rush in the ground and **** u

More please hughsey I'm almost at climax

What an incredible performance and result!

If we were mid season and with a full strength squad this would still be a remarkable result - but to achieve it preseason, with a big turnover of players and with our best player injured - is something very special!

Cole covic nts juric etc all fantastic. Huge credit to popa and staff - very tough to prepare a side for 2 huge games 6 weeks before the season.

Popovic out coached lippi. Just reflect on that for a minute....

Lippi for a man of serious class and pedigree needs to have a good hard look at himself. Running on he field, not shaking popa's hand and carrying on like a twerp in the post match showed a blantant disrespect for the game. By the time he is in the press conference he had ample time to gather himself - cannot say how disappointed I am in him.

His comments attacking Saba as a diver are humerous as he spent most of his career in Italy when diving is rampant and I don't remember him speaking out against it when grosso made a meal of Lucas Neil's mistimed challenge

WSW grew into the game and Tomi killed them 2nd half. Lippi couldn't get his overpaid Italian primadona's to finish off any of their good work in first half, he should be ashamed seeing 3 of our starting back 4 from last season are gone.

Whatever happens next week we can be proud of the effort last night and I hope Lippi cops a ban never knew he was such an arrogant person - showed disrespect to football last night - have a good long hard look in the mirror mate

LOLOLOL watching today and they are giving to Mark Bridge for diving. That came after the Tomi Juric goal

Finally they said they knew it wasn't him. They spent most of their time on the fight. Then they came back after sports to mock Mark Bridge.

Nuff said bout everything else

Firstly, both red cards were spot on by the ref. 

Secondly, I think if we had taken our chances with all the clear shots, we would have scored another.

Finally, Juric should have had a shot towards end of the game instead of milking it. 

But, great atmosphere last night what a turn out. An away goal next week will seal the deal. 

Guest NSWanderer15

I like how Lippi said that when his own team are a bunch of FLOPS who wanted our guys booked every time, not to forget he ran on to the field to blast the ref for a decision that was warranted, good job by Tony Popovic on giving him a serve when that happened. Your multi million dollars on a squad means sweet FA if they can't even get a win against a team who has a budget of only 2.75 million dollars.

A furious Marcello Lippi has accused Western Sydney Wanderers FC players of trying to get his players sent off

I don't think we had to try very hard considering two of them got red carded.

Pretty sure they did a good job trying to get themselves sent

Edited by West13