A-League & 2nd Tier Expansion Thread V2

Listened  to a segment on ABC radio today...mentioned the potential new teams in the mix..interesting comments  about new teams competing for same piece of the pie in terms of crowds not necessarily boosting attendances , plenty of talk about the "Campbelltown" and " Southern Expansion"  Bids in Sydney how Wanders and ESFC not keen on expansion in areas they consider "their " patches ...how attendances  down again this season , how current media deals not crash hot...

I am all for expansion but must admit  in the back of my mind have concerns about potentially 4  "Sydney"  teams competing for slices of perhaps slightly larger pie ....been a bit reluctant to mention it here in fear of being shot down . what about aspiring to  2 "well supported "healthy" teams in Sydney then Expansion ????

Seems  words but little action from current FFA admin re addressing current crown attendances and poor TV viewing . Perhaps new folks will take this on...

but then again as was mentioned on the ABC its not necessarily about crowd attendances and atmosphere.. its  about $$$$$$ .

19 minutes ago, jockman said:

I am all for expansion but must admit  in the back of my mind have concerns about potentially 4  "Sydney"  teams competing for slices of perhaps slightly larger pie ....been a bit reluctant to mention it here in fear of being shot down . what about aspiring to  2 "well supported "healthy" teams in Sydney then Expansion ????

SFC had an increase in members and interest after WSW was introduced. Who is to say it can't happen again for both Sydney teams if more Sydney teams are admitted? Personally I think Sydney (with a population of 6M+) can sustain at least 4 teams. It's making sure they are the right bids with the right focus that makes the difference. Both Sydney teams are currently pretty healthy IMO.

If the decision is to hold off a year, then I reckon the bids that have already been culled should also have more time to improve their chances and try again.

Personally I love to see expansion into areas without a-league now - so for me that's Wollongong, Canberra and then Tassie, then look to 2nd Qld, and maybe another in WA before adding to Sydney and Melbourne.

Being conservative hasn’t worked so far so why keep on doing it? I understand that they are treading carefully but honestly, there’s never going to be a perfect time for expansion and the longer they wait the less perfect it becomes. 

How in gods name do the FFA propose that they can make something of next season if it’s the same 10 teams running round again? At this point, it’s looking like this season will be hanging on for dear life come the start of the NRL/AFL seasons. Some teams will be lucky to get anymore than family and friends attending...

Agreed with above how long do they have to wait. At some point you have to bite the bullet and do something 

I do concur with Nek above it would be nice to venture to areas without football sadly i really don’t see likes of the gong and tassie sustainable unless they have boom seasons 

foxtel has pretty much demanded more teams from Syd and Melb and I think that will be clinchers 

if they delay it another year yes it gives it better prep time but if that’s the case then  those stadium promises down south need decisions now to build the them you can’t wait any longer 

It will be annoying if they announce the delay they should announce the teams today and then if they enter in the season 2020-21 so be it. But at least we have the teams in and they can establish W-league and Y-league teams to start off. If Canberra does not get picked I hope FFA is smart (doubtful) and keep them for the 13th and 14th expansion in 2021-2022 (optimist)

I agree that going into next year with the same teams and same issues is not good, but I don’t think expansion will fix much.

It may buy the new board a couple of years to fix up other stuff but pretty soon the new teams will just become part of the furniture and the same problems will exist.

Look at Melbourne. If they gave licences to the bidders they’d have new east, south and west Melb teams, and Victory. Then a huge white elephant that the other teams may kill off, except it’s being backed by zillionaires.

Brisbane - how can you know if a second team would help when the current one plays out of that huge stadium with no atmosphere. Likewise Wellington. There’s like a few hundred thousand people in the  city, they’ve got that cool little ground in Lower Hutt. How they messed up Auckland I’ll never know, but that says something. Plonking a team somewhere that doesn’t connect with the footballing community won’t work. See: Expansion, Southern.

The A-League still doesn’t know what it’s trying to be, other than a pale imitation of the NRL/AFL.

The old NSL was without a doubt a community based competition, but when the first gen immigrants started getting older it struggled as the community disbanded somewhat. Now the second and third gen wants that community spirit, and the FFA won’t allow it. We have to be a corporate off-the-shelf organisation.

What is the criteria for these clubs? Does anyone outside the clubs know? Until crowds are going off in the correct sized grounds and people feel part of the clubs, nothing much will improve. We got the best of it in our first few years and the FFA have torn it down. 

By the way, I’m a positive guy in real life! Haha

1 hour ago, tardotz said:

Looks like ESFC got their demand granted.

This is it really.

Us having more members than them has never sat well, so the simple solution is to support a team that takes half our area off us. Now they think they can become bigger than us.

You only need walk around Narellan shops on the weekend and see the number of people wearing WSW jerseys to know that whole area is ours.

I couldn't possibly hate ESFC more than I do right now.

The Southern Expansion bid is/was ******* terrible. If the team has to be in Sydney, I much prefer a genuine bid like SWS rather than that.

I have been an advocate for a SW Sydney team, with the growth in the area I feel justifying it. Personally, I felt it was best suited to 5-10 years time. But if I had to pick between the two on offer it'd be SWS every single time.

5 minutes ago, Swarth said:

so happy south west sydney are getting a team

also **** off south west sydney, 

My feelings lmao.

South West has to make a big statement when they come in. I do worry that they may become a Melbourne Heart situation where they have good catchment for Youth Players but I know in Liverpool/Fairfield majority are Wanderers Supporters, if they aren't they are Smurfs and what is left is people who are Eurosnobs.

1 minute ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

My feelings lmao.

South West has to make a big statement when they come in. I do worry that they may become a Melbourne Heart situation where they have good catchment for Youth Players but I know in Liverpool/Fairfield majority are Wanderers Supporters, if they aren't they are Smurfs and what is left is people who are Eurosnobs.

i agree but at the same time i think there is enough support there for a new team, i am sure plenty of wsw will switch and there is a market there who didnt like us cause they think parramatta is too far away, i hope they dont become heart but at least we can mock them if they are :P

honestly i was partly raised/born in south west sydney, so i'll be conflicted about them :P but that is why i might hate them but still has them as a 2nd team if that makes sense, hate them from a wanderers point of view

2 minutes ago, Swarth said:

i agree but at the same time i think there is enough support there for a new team, i am sure plenty of wsw will switch and there is a market there who didnt like us cause they think parramatta is too far away, i hope they dont become heart but at least we can mock them if they are :P

honestly i was partly raised/born in south west sydney, so i'll be conflicted about them :P but that is why i might hate them but still has them as a 2nd team if that makes sense, hate them from a wanderers point of view

From memory at the Leumeah club forum that was one of the arguments of where the home stadium should be. That is me nitpicking at Southwest though its the better place for the A-league with all the talent roaming around here Far better than South Sydney Expansion. How the SBS crew got behind that mob I will never know.

7 minutes ago, Erebus said:

I don't think SWS catchment will be Fairfield/Livepool. More so ctown and the developing areas around it.

Fairfield/Livo are T-Way Service Crew regions and that TWay used to be packed on gamedays going to Parra.

SWS would be best to concentrate on the growing new suburbs in CTown.

The merged entity has the head of Sydney United on its board.

Apparently, the chairmanship of their board will rotate between the two original bids.

Stoked to have another sydney team. I also really don't care if it seems Sydney's wishes were granted. The fact is sydney has a population of 5.5 million. More then enough to future plan for 4 sydney teams. The Southern Bid was atrocious. And our catchment is still massive even if you draw the line from Liverpool / Casula, heck even if they claimed Liverpool its still a massive catchment area for us. 

South West Sydney represents a great large area. The only downside is the location of Cambeltown stadium, good stadium but needs some serious work on its surrounds, but hopefully some investment goes into the area with more food and beverage coming to life along with transport solutions for locals with buses and parking.

I actually always envisioned a South West team being in liverpool, directly across the river from Liverpool station on the industrial land, with a footbridge built. Seems perfect, creates a bigger split in our catchment but could see it really brew into something special but i think the good thing about this bid is no team would really ever engage the cambeltown / MacArthur area and the more rural parts unless it was based closer as it this bid will be. 

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic