Squad Development 2019/20 Part 1

2 hours ago, mack said:

Kosta did a lot of stats padding against **** teams like us and hadn't scored a huge amount in seasons before that.

Under the cap even as a foreign player it'll probably work out fine though.

And for us, it's another player we've allegedly tried to sign but failed.

We just need to keep faith in MB and hope he has a plan and it's all under control. 

12 hours ago, mack said:

Kosta to Smurfs 3 years as a marquee.

I can’t believe we were in the discussion to sign him. To be honest, I don’t see him worth taking up a considerable portion of the cap or marquee money.

12 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Sbs says under the cap, I’d love to know how they do that and keep Le Fondre etc under the cap too

I find it incredible that he’d move for less money. I’ve said it for some time, WSW need to invest in a new creative accountant. Pretty sure lederer would know a few good names :lol:

12 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

Sbs says under the cap, I’d love to know how they do that and keep Le Fondre etc under the cap too

It's pretty well known, even among Smurf supporters, that the Cap does not apply to them or Victory. Both these teams are laughing at the rest of us. 

8 minutes ago, Ossified said:

It's pretty well known, even among Smurf supporters, that the Cap does not apply to them or Victory. Both these teams are laughing at the rest of us. 

The cap is a joke, Perth was only done a few years ago because of a whistle blower, one FFA could not ignore. They had enough power at the time to beat sage into submission, even though he had plenty of reason to complain. The new league structure has to put an end to this circus. The cap has to be agreed on and respected by the clubs, not being dictated and then not enforced by FFA. 

14 hours ago, mack said:

Kosta did a lot of stats padding against **** teams like us and hadn't scored a huge amount in seasons before that.

Under the cap even as a foreign player it'll probably work out fine though.

And for us, it's another player we've allegedly tried to sign but failed.

Have we failed, or was it just a matter of the value for money proposition within the constraints of the cap not working out? He'll be 30 soon, will do a bit of travelling with the All Whites, so a marquee grade, three year contract may turn out to not be such a great decision in the long run. 

I have no doubt that we can do better. The only thing Kosta has going for himself is that the knows the league and will hit the floor running. Smurfs sure signed a proven performer. 

1 hour ago, FCB said:

The cap is a joke, Perth was only done a few years ago because of a whistle blower, one FFA could not ignore. They had enough power at the time to beat sage into submission, even though he had plenty of reason to complain. The new league structure has to put an end to this circus. The cap has to be agreed on and respected by the clubs, not being dictated and then not enforced by FFA. 

While our club doesn’t bother to use the marquee spots on offer we can’t complain about cap 

4 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

While our club doesn’t bother to use the marquee spots on offer we can’t complain about cap 

Yep, we can  bitch on about how others are rorting the cap, but if we are too dumb to play along or not even use what is on offer, then you are correct..we got nothin.

Not really related as not exactly like the cap but Steve Gibson at the Boro is having a whinge about Derby and Villa breaking the UEFA Financial Fair Play rules (FFP), he is going to try and take Derby to court lol Wasting his time.

One day though a big story will break about bad goings on and all the rules being broken and football will be in the shyte...storm waiting to happen.

Edited by Erimus
5 hours ago, StringerBellend said:

The current owners can argue that they've been pissing marquee money in the wind, and not too little of it either.

Spira only signed a marquee contract after S2 because it allowed him to go under the knife. It took him a long time to fully recover from surgery, but he brought in a nice transfer sum when he left. S4: Pio turned out to be a total dud, and Vidosic came unfit and turned out to be injury prone. S5 the accounting marquees Martinez and Jumpei. S6 Riera and Cejudo. S7 Riera. No wonder they are cautious.

Popa's biggest weakness was recruitment of imports. Let's hope that the Babbel Meister gets that part right. He needs to.

3 minutes ago, FCB said:

The current owners can argue that they've been pissing marquee money in the wind, and not too little of it either.

Spira only signed a marquee contract after S2 because it allowed him to go under the knife. It took him a long time to fully recover from surgery, but he brought in a nice transfer sum when he left. S4: Pio turned out to be a total dud, and Vidosic came unfit and turned out to be injury prone. S5 the accounting marquees Martinez and Jumpei. S6 Riera and Cejudo. S7 Riera. No wonder they are cautious.

Popa's biggest weakness was recruitment of imports. Let's hope that the Babbel Meister gets that part right. He needs to.

He better get it right, because if not after next season we will be number three club,  SFC  first   SWS second  and WSW  third.

Just now, Upthehill said:

Brattan is a good signing if that tweet is accurate. Gives us a few seasons of stability hopefully. He’s got a good habit of getting involved in goals and has a decent injury history. 

Yeah not sure if he's stating we've signed him or demanding the club do it TBH, scrolled through some of the previous tweets and there are some dubious ones...

2 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Hearing some people saying he is a good replacement for Baumjohann. I thought he was more a defensive midfielder than attacking? Either way I believe he is one of the better midfielders in the A-league and also has a bit of mongrel in him. Good signing if we can pick him up.

He’s defensive but he gets forward a bit. Pretty sure he wants to play higher I doubt his ability to consistently affect the score line

Salary cap has been increased by $137k to $3.2 million. Western United get an extra $400k.

If I'm reading the FFA release right, they've also removed the limit on cap deductions for homegrown & loyalty players. Scholarship players which are outside the cap if paid the minimum ~$50k, the number has been increased to 9.

Depending on what the FFA count as "homegrown", we've probably got some extra cap space if the likes of Tass, Baccus, Grozos were getting paid more than $200k total.

• mack locked and unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic