Carl Robinson Discussion

Arnie would never come to us? Yeah I dunno.... the whole reason we hate him is because that's exactly the kind of thing he'd do. He'd come here slagging off Sydney FC and getting under their skin. Do we not remember those comments he made about Mariners once he left there? Being a **** is his MO. I can see him coming here without thinking twice for sure.

4 minutes ago, marron said:

Arnie would never come to us? Yeah I dunno.... the whole reason we hate him is because that's exactly the kind of thing he'd do. He'd come here slagging off Sydney FC and getting under their skin. Do we not remember those comments he made about Mariners once he left there? Being a **** is his MO. I can see him coming here without thinking twice for sure.

Yeah, I see him as a bit of a panto villain rather that anything more, fellow poms will know what I mean by that.:D

I would love Arnie to come to us just for the reaction by some here, the butt hurt would be amazing :D

Edited by Smoggy
2 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Nahhh, we need to move on from this mindset a little as the comp matures in this country and head in to the next 10 years of the A league.

As the comp does mature you will see more managers that win comps with more than one club and also go across city rivalry lines. It will write new stories/ chapters in our game and prob add a bit of extra spice at that time also...all stories yet to be written as we moved forward.

Arnie i think would likely never come to us. But it would sure ignite some interest if he did.

Your mindset is a bit old school for me. To develop our game we need to be open to all possibilities, even real left of field ones! 

Benitez

I'm still processing that not sure I can cope with anymore 

3 hours ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

Not sure what you're getting at??!

No-one suggested Popa was a failure as a manager.  If it is my comment you are refering to, I suggested that Popa didn't (and hasn't anywhere else) left anything behind.  He is a manager who is successful in and of himself.  So whilst he is at the club there will be success but when he leaves it all falls apart.  Here, Perth... 

The point others made was Arnie (for all his other faults) and a relatively few others left a lsting change and legacy that kept things going.  Muscat, Corica... have benefited from good coaches who also left a structure, a team and a culture behind.  Popa didn't.  He really isn't interested in that.  He is interested in doing things his way - it works wonderfully whilst he is there.  We benefited and enjoyed the ride. It came unstuck very soon afterwards...

not your mate the Seeker geeza, I CBF quoting him as it didn't warrant the effort.

35 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

not your mate the Seeker geeza, I CBF quoting him as it didn't warrant the effort.

Haha case of mistaken identity geezer.

You know what gets me , we lose a ordinary A-league game and everybody goes ballistic and wants to sack the coach- lose three grand finals and it's a success. I don't get it.

But an example of a coach perspective. Carlos  Bilardo the Argentinian coach who was a mentor to Maradona and won one World Cup final and lost one said " I like being first ... Because second is no good , being second is a failure ....for me it's good that if you lose you should feel bad."

That's the reality of professional sport , unlike say a game of club lawn bowls ! 

A GF is always a one off with all sorts of variables and luck involved. A mid season game is different because to get to the GF you need to have a consistent run. When people get dirty over a mid season loss it's because nothing is changing with regards to how the boss has the team playing. You project forward and realise, if this is where we are we wont get anywhere. It's a totally different kind of frustrating. You can play like **** in a GF and win and nobody will care. If you play like ****, again, mid season, that's different.

21 minutes ago, theseeker said:

Haha case of mistaken identity geezer.

You know what gets me , we lose a ordinary A-league game and everybody goes ballistic and wants to sack the coach- lose three grand finals and it's a success. I don't get it.

But an example of a coach perspective. Carlos  Bilardo the Argentinian coach who was a mentor to Maradona and won one World Cup final and lost one said " I like being first ... Because second is no good , being second is a failure ....for me it's good that if you lose you should feel bad."

That's the reality of professional sport , unlike say a game of club lawn bowls ! 

Look you are entitled to your views of course I just think yes we can say popa has a questionable record in A-League grand finals that is without doubt 

but he proved himself moreso in Asia surely that’s balanced it out 

it’s all irrelevant now but if you break down the 3 losses 

season 1 GF - hersi plays different game and we got dicked on a pen which was close to the one ccm got at the other end 

season 2 gf - ffs I still can’t believe polenz strays offside to let berisha score near the end and we all know nts going down changed the game - beachamp Probably should have been on bench 

season 4 - we got outplayed deserved to lose 

gf’s are fine margins and yes popa Didn’t deliver 

people Who call for sackings after a few bad results are idiots - their opinions are not balanced. 

make the GF is surely better than the last 5 seasons I think is my point! 

winning goes on your resume the ability to consistently get to a GF speaks volumes of a coach who over  season clearly demonstrates he’s got a level of competence. 
we will agree to disagree on the definition of success. 
I do see your Point though just think it’s quite far fetched! 

8 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Look you are entitled to your views of course I just think yes we can say popa has a questionable record in A-League grand finals that is without doubt 

season 1 GF - hersi plays different game and we got dicked on a pen which was close to the one ccm got at the other end 

season 2 gf - ffs I still can’t believe polenz strays offside to let berisha score near the end and we all know nts going down changed the game - beachamp Probably should have been on bench 

people Who call for sackings after a few bad results are idiots - their opinions are not balanced. 

winning goes on your resume the ability to consistently get to a GF speaks volumes of a coach who over  season clearly demonstrates he’s got a level of competence. 

Fair enough , agree to disagree , no problem.

13 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

Also on s 4, had no marquee striker after Pio flopped. 

I wouldn't want a dhead player at the club, no matter how good.

Even more so, I wouldn't want a dhead manager at a club. No to Arnie.

A manager represents your club almost more than any other staff member, they speak to the media every week. I cringe enough at CRs media talk,  someone like Arnie carrying on and I'd die a little inside.

20 hours ago, Smoggy said:

Nahhh, we need to move on from this mindset a little as the comp matures in this country and head in to the next 10 years of the A league.

As the comp does mature you will see more managers that win comps with more than one club and also go across city rivalry lines. It will write new stories/ chapters in our game and prob add a bit of extra spice at that time also...all stories yet to be written as we moved forward.

Arnie i think would likely never come to us. But it would sure ignite some interest if he did.

Your mindset is a bit old school for me. To develop our game we need to be open to all possibilities, even real left of field ones! 

My old school mindset says: no more Smurfs at wsw, especially not the super smurf. 

7 hours ago, matty said:

I wouldn't want a dhead player at the club, no matter how good.

Even more so, I wouldn't want a dhead manager at a club. No to Arnie.

A manager represents your club almost more than any other staff member, they speak to the media every week. I cringe enough at CRs media talk,  someone like Arnie carrying on and I'd die a little inside.

It depends doesn’t it. If you are top of the table, winning games and looking a safe bet at a GF tilt, it’s amazing what fans will change their opinion on, based on what I have seen over the last 35 years.

It would be a punt of massive proportions, but that s what makes the game interesting :)

Can see I am going to differ with how I see things on this one. But all good lol

Edited by Smoggy
23 minutes ago, Smoggy said:

It depends doesn’t it. If you are top of the table, winning games and looking a safe bet at a GF tilt, it’s amazing what fans will change their opinion on, based on what I have seen over the last 35 years.

It would be a punt of massive proportions, but that s what makes the game interesting :)

Can see I am going to differ with how I see things on this one. But all good lol

On the flip side after a couple of losses, especially in a derby I would suggest Tifogate 2.0 or 3.0 would definitely get a look in...:ninja:

:D

On 29/08/2021 at 9:08 AM, sonar said:

On the flip side after a couple of losses, especially in a derby I would suggest Tifogate 2.0 or 3.0 would definitely get a look in...:ninja:

:D

If Arnie ever arrives at wsw (I believe he will never get a job at the club) the good old tifo will need to be dusted off and carted over to the training ground. It will make a perfect background when he releases his verbal diarrhea to the media.

13 hours ago, FCB said:

If Arnie ever arrives at wsw (I believe he will never get a job at the club) the good old tifo will need to be dusted off and carted over to the training ground. It will make a perfect background when he releases his verbal diarrhea to the media.

Its not Foxsports anymore never know what changes may come around

For those that don't want to listen to know but want to know what Robbo said, here you go:

- 60% of the squad is training at the Wanderers Centre of Football. The players that are not training with him and the squad are disappointed. But, they understand the situation we're in. He does keep in touch them mentality.
- He hasn't got a confirmation answer on when the season will commence. However, he does know the FFA cup matches have been postponed till forever notice.
- Even though they have exemptions to training at the facility, they are on a strict timeline on how much they can train each day.
- Majority of the team is vaccinated (there's been social media images of that anyway)
- He mentioned he is willing to test the youngsters with the experience players this season. He did mention Cancar so that confirms he is still at the club (he has been seen training with the club as well in social media videos)
- He said his first thing to do this season was to sign the Australians first as he knew it's difficult to sign foreigners due to the current situation were in. Plus, he spoke to players, fans and others from the club. He said he heard that they wanted players they were from the Western Sydney area to be signed to the club. This is why he went for the likes of Najjarine (grew up in Liverpool), Antonis (grew up in Bankstown) and Petratos (grew up in the Penrith area) to be signed to the club. 
- He hinted that we could see the squad play 4-3-3 with Baccus, Ugarkovic and Antonis in the middle. He is willing to experiment the formation and wanted players that can quickly adapt and change to the formation of the squad when needed.
- As @GE942150 said, He did mention he is looking at attacking players to fill in the gaps. Prefers to have experienced players instead of youngers from overseas.

4 hours ago, MathyouWSW said:

For those that don't want to listen to know but want to know what Robbo said, here you go:

- 60% of the squad is training at the Wanderers Centre of Football. The players that are not training with him and the squad are disappointed. But, they understand the situation we're in. He does keep in touch them mentality.
- He hasn't got a confirmation answer on when the season will commence. However, he does know the FFA cup matches have been postponed till forever notice.
- Even though they have exemptions to training at the facility, they are on a strict timeline on how much they can train each day.
- Majority of the team is vaccinated (there's been social media images of that anyway)
- He mentioned he is willing to test the youngsters with the experience players this season. He did mention Cancar so that confirms he is still at the club (he has been seen training with the club as well in social media videos)
- He said his first thing to do this season was to sign the Australians first as he knew it's difficult to sign foreigners due to the current situation were in. Plus, he spoke to players, fans and others from the club. He said he heard that they wanted players they were from the Western Sydney area to be signed to the club. This is why he went for the likes of Najjarine (grew up in Liverpool), Antonis (grew up in Bankstown) and Petratos (grew up in the Penrith area) to be signed to the club. 
- He hinted that we could see the squad play 4-3-3 with Baccus, Ugarkovic and Antonis in the middle. He is willing to experiment the formation and wanted players that can quickly adapt and change to the formation of the squad when needed.
- As @GE942150 said, He did mention he is looking at attacking players to fill in the gaps. Prefers to have experienced players instead of youngers from overseas.

He also said that team needs to be better at defending corners and set pieces.

3 hours ago, Paul01 said:

He also said that team needs to be better at defending corners and set pieces.

Also this...apologies, I thought I had noted that down.

You'll think that if we were bad at set pieces in defending, Robbo would look at signing one more experience defender. But, I guess he is happy with the line-up of defenders in the squad. I guess we'll have to wait and see when the season starts if there's any improvement.

I'm assuming Robbo is looking at an extra striker which is understandable.

• mack changed the title to Carl Robinson Discussion
  • mack locked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic
  • mack unlocked this topic