Squad Development 2021/22

I agree that Ikon isn't worth $1.2 million.  He's a good young (26) Oz player but he hasn't set the football world on fire.  He's played a bit in Europe but didn't break into any top flight leagues and the last 3 years he's been at Perth - played well but also injuries.

It is probably a case if him being a known quantity in the A League and one of the better players - not the best.  Ninkovic, Davilla, Castro (although now a bit ageing) are/have been better.  Sure, he will develop but he will also want to get back OS ASAP because time will be running out.

Surely with  $1 mill on the table there are some very decent players out there.

5 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Ah yes, a winger at striker, perfect fit for our club.

Probably still tear it up here to be fair.

Much the same as Kamau's role last season

Just now, papersun said:

Much the same as Kamau's role last season

Yeah fair enough actually. I'd often go into games having no idea where Kamau was playing.

Looked to me like he had a more free roam role where he could carry the ball up field, go out wide, come inside, play in behind.

I miss Bruce already, hope he lights it up in Greece.

Chuck the money at Diamanti, he will feed Hemed the passes we need to score goals.

5 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Yeah fair enough actually. I'd often go into games having no idea where Kamau was playing.

Looked to me like he had a more free roam role where he could carry the ball up field, go out wide, come inside, play in behind.

I miss Bruce already, hope he lights it up in Greece.

Chuck the money at Diamanti, he will feed Hemed the passes we need to score goals.

And run out puff halfway through the season , no thanks

I think we have put our self’s in the position now where good players take a lot of money bordering on stupidity to convince them to come us after last years effort and so far we have been linked to 5 or 6 Aussie players and got one we are destined to mediocrity. We have failed as club in all departments this last 5 years 

our coaching staff selections.

our player selections especially imports

even going to discuss membership requirements , looking at merchandise in the shop is painfully dealing with people who show no motivation at all.

Why is this do you think ?

I would suggest it is time for a new management team to run WSW, Ttsamis and his mob need to be gone a complete clean out because this mob ain’t taking us anywhere.

4 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Probably, as I said, most clubs will struggle to sign foreigners not already in the country.

We still have time on our side. The travel cost and quarantine is gonna be a major issue though, but I assume can be written off as a business expense. And whether the player is happy to spend 2 weeks in quarantine.

5 minutes ago, GE942150 said:

We still have time on our side. The travel cost and quarantine is gonna be a major issue though, but I assume can be written off as a business expense. And whether the player is happy to spend 2 weeks in quarantine.

Issue I have is that the longer we wait to sign foreign players, the later they will come into pre-season.

I would've hoped a large chunk of the squad would be signed before/start of pre-season.

That was one of our big downfalls last season. Players were coming in just before the season started or even after it had. Shambles.

5 minutes ago, coachcarter said:

I'm still surprised with the Antonis situation.  Hernias are generally no big deal.... maybe 4-6 weeks before back to full training.  With the season starting October 30, that would leave us plenty of time (and he could do his isolation whilst he is recovering).  Surely there is something more to this story that we haven't been told.

My thoughts exactly. Seems strange.

6 minutes ago, THEWANDERERSPOST said:

Issue I have is that the longer we wait to sign foreign players, the later they will come into pre-season.

I would've hoped a large chunk of the squad would be signed before/start of pre-season.

That was one of our big downfalls last season. Players were coming in just before the season started or even after it had. Shambles.

In our history we have only had all the players here in time for the full pre season once. That was the year Popa pulled the plug.

24 minutes ago, coachcarter said:

I'm still surprised with the Antonis situation.  Hernias are generally no big deal.... maybe 4-6 weeks before back to full training.  With the season starting October 30, that would leave us plenty of time (and he could do his isolation whilst he is recovering).  Surely there is something more to this story that we haven't been told.

There's also the worry about recurrence. Hernias heal relatively quickly, but the demands of football make recurrence likely. Particularly without a longer layoff. That's my concern re Antonis.

5 minutes ago, Robvad10 said:

but we've started well the last 2 seasons..

Babbel season 2 we did not start well at all. The results were so unbelievably flattering. Lopar was our man of the match for like 3 games in a row or something. Every game I came away thinking we didn't deserve to win.

This seasons start was a mixed bag. We went 7 unbeaten after our first game, but we drew 4 of them. Almost every team at the start of this season was sh*t. City who won the league easily looked terrible.

• mack locked this topic
  • mack unpinned this topic