Wanderers Annihilated By Rampant Mariners

1 hour ago, Keithie said:

5 games in and we are still not getting it together , I rate last nights defeat the most comprehensive thrashing since the Sydney FC 4 nil thrashing an Accor Stadium on open day of the season 

Too true, last nights thrashing was definitely top shelf

:topshelf:

2 hours ago, theguyyouwishyouwere said:

i'll say it for the 100th time - Tongyik does not belong on a football pitch.

i did not watch the game.

Putting aside allegations.

His form has dropped off a cliff in the last 2 years, not a great start for him here 

That said the formation of putting a right winger at Left wing back was idiotic 

So not to wet the bed after one bad performance but has it really been one bad performance so far..

V Glory - we were slightly less **** than them

V Victory - excellent first half backs to the wall determination second half

V Roar - absolute **** scraped a draw against a crap team 

V Jets - best we have played for a while 

V Mariners - come up against a good side and get absolutely smashed in every area of the pitch 

Somehow we are second 

Derby will tell us a lot about where we are 

I've got a bad feeling we will roll over like a pet dog looking to get it's Tummy tickled 

29 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

I've got a bad feeling we will roll over like a pet dog looking to get it's Tummy tickled 

Sorry for the selective quote but The Mariners are going to be a nightmare for ANY side this season. They are well coached. They came out and totally ambushed us, gave us nothing and did it for 90 min. A very Melb City type of play with the bonus of they did it for 90 min where there are times when City lose focus and can be run down.

While I agree the derby ( and the CCM game as well ) will show us where we are but when compared to previous seasons......the last three in particular.......we are a more competitive side.

I can name games even under Popa where we've gone missing.....v Wellington and losing the minor prem comes to mind, and with that a home GF.......and you would never say that side was bad.

Even if we lose on the weekend......which given the form of the smurfs should not be the case.......we will still be in the top half of the table and the WC break will give us time to get players back and improve in areas we are weak....ie up front.

I think we'll be okay this season......but then again we say that every year.....lol

:D

PS......Mariners will lose Kuol in Jan and if Cummings gets injured they will struggle.

Edited by sonar
17 hours ago, 102megan said:

Sunday arvos are the winner! 

Not in the middle of summer. In a summer competition in Australia games should not start before 7pm. You can use that "it's too late for my kids" excuse but the kids being tired is still better than them passing out from heat stroke which I have personally seen many times happen. The tendency to have the majority of fans facing the afternoon sun which happens at most A League grounds is what keeps many fans away.

55 minutes ago, sonar said:

Sorry for the selective quote but The Mariners are going to be a nightmare for ANY side this season. They are well coached. They came out and totally ambushed us, gave us nothing and did it for 90 min. A very Melb City type of play with the bonus of they did it for 90 min where there are times when City lose focus and can be run down.

While I agree the derby ( and the CCM game as well ) will show us where we are but when compared to previous seasons......the last three in particular.......we are a more competitive side.

I can name games even under Popa where we've gone missing.....v Wellington and losing the minor prem comes to mind, and with that a home GF.......and you would never say that side was bad.

Even if we lose on the weekend......which given the form of the smurfs should not be the case.......we will still be in the top half of the table and the WC break will give us time to get players back and improve in areas we are weak....ie up front.

I think we'll be okay this season......but then again we say that every year.....lol

:D

PS......Mariners will lose Kuol in Jan and if Cummings gets injured they will struggle.

Mariners are the best team we have played so far by a long way. We didn't compete with them from the 1st minute to the last, we are long way off them, not to say we can't catch it up. 

Funny league againt this year, all over the place

A lot of doom and gloom here. Look Mariners are a good team very much a smokey for the 6. You don't want to give them a sniff cause theya re team that will go on with the momentum and with Cummings leading the line that would kill any team in the league. The Perth game they lost was an outlier the only game so far they didn't goo all guns blazing for 90 minutes.

Saturday night Rudan needed to get his tactics absolutely spot on. Losing Yengi prior to the game was a massive blow, with Yeni, Beadling and Bozanic already out. Essentially have Lopane and academy kids on the bench, while Mariners have Kuol, Ruhs and Silvera to bring to change the game. So unlike the Brisbane game which was a one off, this was a game we were outcoached and outplayed. We had no answer to the Mariners and of course Rudan made it worst instead of putting on Tongyik on and put Borrello at LWB which killed anything we had going forward. Only the Hoff had any stamp in the midfield to try and settle things down for us, but we couldn't even get Ninkovic or Krpic into the game. That is a credit to the Mariners and how they played to completely suffocate our source of creativity.

Unfortunately with Rudan we will get games like this, when he gets it right its a solid performance from the team but when he get gets wrong it goes poorly. He has history of games like this. We need the med bay players to come back, and Rudan needs to learn off this game knowing our limitations and probably have more faith in our academy players on the bench. Lopane should have been brought on earlier as well Sapsford and Wilmering over Tongyik. We probably needed a bit of energy injection and Ninkovic/Krpic were out of the game this time we probably needed some youth kids to match Mariners intensity. The only reason Tongyik goes on is because Rudan didn't think Wilmering could match Kuol, the early yellow card to Traore he was worried for a send off.

As side note Arnold should really take Kuol and Cummings on the plane, they have been so impressive I can't see how they both don't go.

12 minutes ago, Sithslayer1991 said:

A lot of doom and gloom here. Look Mariners are a good team very much a smokey for the 6. You don't want to give them a sniff cause theya re team that will go on with the momentum and with Cummings leading the line that would kill any team in the league. The Perth game they lost was an outlier the only game so far they didn't goo all guns blazing for 90 minutes.

Saturday night Rudan needed to get his tactics absolutely spot on. Losing Yengi prior to the game was a massive blow, with Yeni, Beadling and Bozanic already out. Essentially have Lopane and academy kids on the bench, while Mariners have Kuol, Ruhs and Silvera to bring to change the game. So unlike the Brisbane game which was a one off, this was a game we were outcoached and outplayed. We had no answer to the Mariners and of course Rudan made it worst instead of putting on Tongyik on and put Borrello at LWB which killed anything we had going forward. Only the Hoff had any stamp in the midfield to try and settle things down for us, but we couldn't even get Ninkovic or Krpic into the game. That is a credit to the Mariners and how they played to completely suffocate our source of creativity.

Unfortunately with Rudan we will get games like this, when he gets it right its a solid performance from the team but when he get gets wrong it goes poorly. He has history of games like this. We need the med bay players to come back, and Rudan needs to learn off this game knowing our limitations and probably have more faith in our academy players on the bench. Lopane should have been brought on earlier as well Sapsford and Wilmering over Tongyik. We probably needed a bit of energy injection and Ninkovic/Krpic were out of the game this time we probably needed some youth kids to match Mariners intensity. The only reason Tongyik goes on is because Rudan didn't think Wilmering could match Kuol, the early yellow card to Traore he was worried for a send off.

As side note Arnold should really take Kuol and Cummings on the plane, they have been so impressive I can't see how they both don't go.

Cummings really wasn't that impressive in a 1 on 1 with keeper he WSW style stuffed it up.

Apart from the cool nickname I as Public Enemy might say Don't Believe the Hype 

Duke is a better player 

1 hour ago, StringerBellend said:

Cummings really wasn't that impressive in a 1 on 1 with keeper he WSW style stuffed it up.

Apart from the cool nickname I as Public Enemy might say Don't Believe the Hype 

Duke is a better player 

He may not have scored but was involved in the 2nd and 3rd goals for Mariners. We also weren't really dealing with him in the 1st half. He combines well with Kuol. Compared to Duke he is more technical and smarter, Duke is battering ram and good in the air. I would take both and Taggart but leave Maclaren. Maclaren doesn't provide enough in the system Arnold plays. His a guy that is only in the game if he scores. If he isn't then his MIA.

On 06/11/2022 at 10:44 AM, Sithslayer1991 said:

nah Traore was an yellow. And the game was very physical. Think Rudan could see Traore getting a second yellow. But it really F'd us

He had Wilmering on the bench but if he was scared about his players being skinned by Kuol, which player in the A-League hasn't been skinned by Kuol? We all know what he's capable of on and off the ball.

Tongyik did ok up until Kuol stole the ball from him and since then he lost confidence.

We need our senior players back asap but I doubt Yeni and Bozanic won't be back until after the world cup.

My guess is it wasn't just Traore being on a yellow and not trusting Wilmering. I think it was more a tactical change than personnel.

In the first half there were multiple occasions where they overloaded the back post, so both CB's were marking players and the fullback had to cover two. Not sure whether it was due to our shape not allowing the wingers to track overlapping fullbacks, or players not doing their jobs, but becoming a back 5 in defense did solve that problem (although created others).

1 hour ago, Davo said:

My guess is it wasn't just Traore being on a yellow and not trusting Wilmering. I think it was more a tactical change than personnel.

In the first half there were multiple occasions where they overloaded the back post, so both CB's were marking players and the fullback had to cover two. Not sure whether it was due to our shape not allowing the wingers to track overlapping fullbacks, or players not doing their jobs, but becoming a back 5 in defense did solve that problem (although created others).

I think that was the idea and with the right players it might even have worked but It didn't solve that problem as we had a right winger play LWB he didn't know where he supposed to be. It made it worse Tongyik constantly had two to cover.. 

Then like you say it created a whole bunch of other problems not least of which was Borello kept cutting in to get on his good foot..

If we were going to go 5 3 2 he needed to also bring willmering on as wing back 

Take Najerine off who did sod all all game and bring Borrello in 

How Rudan couldnt see after this after 10 minutes is beyond me 

On 7/11/2022 at 9:15 AM, StringerBellend said:

I’m not sure derby will tell us much playing the likes of Adelaide and City will. 

Esfc have been worse than us probably have at least 4 more points then they should from fortunate calls. 

also their backline is in tatters, simon hill commented on his pod rodwell may be rushed back for derby. 

this weekend just tells us how we handle big game pressure, against victory we got a tick let’s hope they do again.  

2 hours ago, GunnerWanderer said:

I’m not sure derby will tell us much playing the likes of Adelaide and City will. 

Esfc have been worse than us probably have at least 4 more points then they should from fortunate calls. 

also their backline is in tatters, simon hill commented on his pod rodwell may be rushed back for derby. 

this weekend just tells us how we handle big game pressure, against victory we got a ticket’s hope they do again.  

If Mariners win their catch-up game against Newcastle then they would sit in 2nd place and we'd be the 3rd best team so far. Realistically it's a race for spots 3-6 and anyone can put together a run at the right time.

14 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

If Mariners win their catch-up game against Newcastle then they would sit in 2nd place and we'd be the 3rd best team so far. Realistically it's a race for spots 3-6 and anyone can put together a run at the right time.

CCM lose Kuol come Jan and if key players get injured,  then it will be a test of their depth. They will be there or there abouts though.

12 minutes ago, MartinTyler said:

I reckon this is my top six at seasons end not in any order

Mel Victory

Mel City

CCM

Syd FC

Adelaide  

Wanderers, Roar , Macarthur to fight for 6 spot.

Wellington

Western

newcastle

Perth last  

2 hours ago, sonar said:

CCM lose Kuol come Jan and if key players get injured,  then it will be a test of their depth. They will be there or there abouts though.

I was going to mention that, with Kuol gone in Jan they lose their player that can change a game when he comes on. He has pretty much come on in their last two matches and lead the team to a win

Tho they are still a good side without him but just wont have the same impact to stronger teams like ourselves once they don't have him to come on

5 hours ago, Keithie said:

I reckon this is my top six at seasons end not in any order

Mel Victory

Mel City

CCM

Syd FC

Adelaide  

Wanderers, Roar , Macarthur to fight for 6 spot.

Wellington

Western

newcastle

Perth last  

I'd put Wellington ahead of Roar

On 06/11/2022 at 7:30 PM, GD07 said:

Mariners academy is a myth, of course their introducing young players into the first team is unmatched. 

Interesting call..... since the A-L started in 2006 the Mariners have produced 26 internationals 23 for Australia and 3 for other countries, in 16 years and that can be compared to any NSL team and is better than any other A-l team.... further four Mariner players have captained the Socceroos with three coming via the academy and 1 player developed in the first side.

Of the 23 Australian players.

5 players where already established players before joining the Mariners eg Jason Cummings.

7 players came to the Mariners in their first or second year with their game further developed at the Mariners ie Kyles Rowles joined at 18 from Roar.

11 players started in the academy ie Garang Koul then promoted to the A-L.

So you could argue 18 player mostly developed at the Mariners with 11 academy players  going on to be Socceroos... most if not all academy players developed at the academy have come from all over i.e. Sainsbury [Perth], Ryan [Blacktown], Koul [regional VIC] ...  and the players developed at the Mariners but not academy players from all over i.e. Rowles [Roar], Wilkinson [Norther Spirit], to the best of my knowledge only two players local to the CC who started in the academy have become Socceroos these being Redmayne and Matty Simon ...

On the overseas players, one came already developed, the other two mostly developed at the Mariners....

If the above is a myth... then its a good myth....

12 hours ago, Midfielder said:

Interesting call..... since the A-L started in 2006 the Mariners have produced 26 internationals 23 for Australia and 3 for other countries, in 16 years and that can be compared to any NSL team and is better than any other A-l team.... further four Mariner players have captained the Socceroos with three coming via the academy and 1 player developed in the first side.

Of the 23 Australian players.

5 players where already established players before joining the Mariners eg Jason Cummings.

7 players came to the Mariners in their first or second year with their game further developed at the Mariners ie Kyles Rowles joined at 18 from Roar.

11 players started in the academy ie Garang Koul then promoted to the A-L.

So you could argue 18 player mostly developed at the Mariners with 11 academy players  going on to be Socceroos... most if not all academy players developed at the academy have come from all over i.e. Sainsbury [Perth], Ryan [Blacktown], Koul [regional VIC] ...  and the players developed at the Mariners but not academy players from all over i.e. Rowles [Roar], Wilkinson [Norther Spirit], to the best of my knowledge only two players local to the CC who started in the academy have become Socceroos these being Redmayne and Matty Simon ...

On the overseas players, one came already developed, the other two mostly developed at the Mariners....

If the above is a myth... then its a good myth....

I don’t care about other club statistics on a wanderers forum , time this bloke was given the flick

Edited by Keithie

I have no way to prove it but I’d back sydney Croatia produced more players for the Socceroos than mariners over 15 year period.

@Midfielder there is no doubt mariners have done better than other aleague clubs but comparing to nsl great teams is a stretch 

I grew up seeing Arnold, slater, Jennings, zeal, popa, bozza, foster, kalac etc etc all come through there and all the others I forget 

mariners academy isn’t a myth I think it’s safe to say it’s clearly doing it right 👍

Edited by GunnerWanderer
2 minutes ago, GunnerWanderer said:

I have no way to prove it but I’d back sydney Croatia produced more players for the Socceroos than mariners over 15 year period.

@Midfielder there is no doubt mariners have done better than other aleague clubs but comparing to nsl great teams is a stretch 

I grew up seeing Arnold, slater, Jennings, zeal, popa, bozza, foster, kalac etc etc all come through there and all the others I forget 

mariners academy isn’t a myth I think it’s safe to say it’s clearly doing it right 👍

Yea I remember someone mentioned that King Tom is in all Australian Football history the top provider of players to the national team. Mariners in the A-league era is just a great stepping stone for kids. Think of the Kuol brother all slipped through Western and Melbourne Victory fingers but the Mariners gave them a shot. Being on a tight budget they need to be on the lookout for any bright youth talents to put into the first team. 

At the moment only Adelaide United can rival Mariners with youth development, by my understanding they have a patnership with SA football that allows them to cherry pick the best young talent from the NPL rather than their own academy. Before the Backries it was Brisbane Roar use to be really good at this. We still haven't figured out how to integrate first team and academy players yet.