West Coast Collapse

6 hours ago, mintoff said:

He cant hold a hot shot, two goals from drop balls.

i do agree he needs to work on that but i do put a lot of that down to him being nervous, they would have been good saves if the ball went to one of our players instead of their's but he is only 18 so like majok i am willing to cut him some slack for some mistakes

at least he isnt running out of the box every 3 seconds

12 hours ago, HillsPanther said:

I beg to differ. It is there for all to see. Why is it the opposition is allowed to hack our players at will with no punishment? However, when a wanderer looks sideways at the opposition it is a card.

You have to remember that wanderers were way too successful at the start which upset the other clubs and their fans. They considered that wanderers had not paid their dues. So now the ffa is actively keeping the wanderers in check to apease those other clubs. And they know the core group of fans of the second largest club will continue to follow the team. While other teams struggle to keep their fans.

It will be some time before the ffa will allow wanderers to be successful again.

That's one hell of a conspiracy theory, I like it though - we should all run with it.

:D

12 hours ago, Keithie said:

I gotta say Babbel's babes held their heads high yesterday and if nothing comes of this season other than developing this good list of young blokes then I say lets go for it ,

Can Abraham Majok fill a role upfront  

Can Tass Mourdoukoutas fill a centre back role 

Can Tate Russell go on and become a great right fullback  

Can Nick Suman keep Vedran Janjetovic on the bench

Can Kostandinos Grozos go on to be a great  attacking midfielder 

Can Marc Tokich go on and fulfil his potential and become a great midfielder for us

Can Mathieu Cordier fill a future defending role for us in the future

Can John Roberts go on to fulfil his enormous potential and become a great goal scorer.

Add Kwame Yeboah, Alex Baumjohan, Keannu Baccus, Bruce Kamau ,Patrick Ziegler ,Jordan O'Doherty and Nick Fitzgerald to the list plus a few new buys in the off season for next year and lets go 2019/20. 

We do have an exciting time watching all the above hopefully develop in to first class wanderers over the rest of the season so I for one accept we are building for next season and over the coming weeks we may start to see some great development of this talented youngsters

Come on Babbel's babes 

This is all great in theory but the reality is that this is Australia and young players go OS as soon as they show any promise. These players will be gone before they are "great" anything for us. This has always been my issue in relying on youth as I know we will not reap the full benefits of their development. I want to see the best 11 players the club can assemble to win the comp that season - not witness some kids progression. Arnie said it best "we are not a development league" and it showed with his results. The best championship winning teams over the short history of the A League (Roar, Victory and SFC), were comprised of squads with very little youth. Sunday showed exactly the problem - the kids showed a lot of courage and and tried hard but in the end were beaten by classier players - I personally do not want this to be the norm for us in the future. I want a winning team not a shopfront for OS clubs!

11 hours ago, BoyFromTheWest said:

But Bozza and McBreen did on the A League hour

How about the look on Bozza's face as he was biting his tongue while old mate was doing the intro to the segment?  Looked like he was going to explode.

33 minutes ago, Zakman said:

I personally do not want this to be the norm for us in the future. I want a winning team not a shopfront for OS clubs!

Lederer's letter the other week pretty much tells me that's exactly what he wants though.

Would love to hear if anyone read that email and doesn't agree ?

57 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

That's one hell of a conspiracy theory, I like it though - we should all run with it.

:D

If I have to pick between incompetence and conspiracy. I’d go with incompetence.

The referee aren’t currupt they are just crap.

2 minutes ago, hawks2767 said:

Lederer's letter the other week pretty much tells me that's exactly what he wants though.

Would love to hear if anyone read that email and doesn't agree ?

Maybe I expect to much but, I’d like a bit of both. We should be bringing young players thru but we shouldn’t use that as a reason not to win stuff 

In this league it should be possible to do both, get your 5 foriegn spots right, couple of key Aussie players and bring thru the yoof 

At moment we aren’t getting anywhere near enough from the foreign players and we don’t have any core of experienced Aussies (well that are good enough other than the King)

It’s all about balance 

13 hours ago, Keithie said:

I gotta say Babbel's babes held their heads high yesterday and if nothing comes of this season other than developing this good list of young blokes then I say lets go for it ,

Can Marc Tokich go on and fulfil his potential and become a great midfielder for us

Can John Roberts go on to fulfil his enormous potential and become a great goal scorer.

Add Kwame Yeboah, Alex Baumjohan, Keannu Baccus, Bruce Kamau ,Patrick Ziegler ,Jordan O'Doherty and Nick Fitzgerald to the list plus a few new buys in the off season for next year and lets go 2019/20. 

We do have an exciting time watching all the above hopefully develop in to first class wanderers over the rest of the season so I for one accept we are building for next season and over the coming weeks we may start to see some great development of this talented youngsters

Come on Babbel's babes 

Lots of changes since Rd1 three months ago

• Only six players made an appearance in both Perth away games: Hamill, Elrich, Mahazi, Roly, Kamau, Baccus
  • Raul and Nizic were unused subs in Rd1, and appear to have no future at the club
  • Tongyik has left the club
  • The Rd1 starters Snake and Sotirio were on the bench on Sunday
  • Instead, we are now seeing Majok, Tass, Suman, Russel play, and JoD, unused sub in Rd1, has since developed into a starting player
  • Roberts, Cordier, Grozos next in line to knock at the door

We are witnessing the end of Borda-esque players at WSW, and it can't come soon enough. Oriol, Raul, Roly, Bridgey, Risdon, Sotirio, Mahazi, Scott all set to depart. Hamill, Tokich, Elrich, Nizic - departing,  bench, or stands  next season. Too many sitters missed, too many goals gifted. I would not miss any of them.

Am hoping that Treejack signs a contract extension, and that three or four imports of quality join the party. But that's next season. Right now Raul needs to go, and/or Ziegler picks up his Aussie passport, so a marquee grade midfielder can be signed.

Edited by FCB
21 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

Maybe I expect to much but, I’d like a bit of both. We should be bringing young players thru but we shouldn’t use that as a reason not to win stuff 

In this league it should be possible to do both, get your 5 foriegn spots right, couple of key Aussie players and bring thru the yoof 

At moment we aren’t getting anywhere near enough from the foreign players and we don’t have any core of experienced Aussies (well that are good enough other than the King)

It’s all about balance 

Yep. As has been proven with other teams your visa players must be quality,  perform and must be playing week in week out.  Riera is a case in point where he is quality but at the moment has no form hence no goals.....or very few. Roly is up and down....and has been since his arrival and three of our visa players are injured although Zeigler will become an Aus citizen soon.Baumjohhan is good but lacks a little in the defensive side of his game.Babbel has been forced in many ways to play the youth as the senior players are at times going walkabout.

Edited by sonar
41 minutes ago, StringerBellend said:

It’s all about balance 

Agree with this. I'm all in for the academy but we should be a top 3 side every year as well. No reason why we can't be contenders every year.

5 minutes ago, Burztur said:

Agree with this. I'm all in for the academy but we should be a top 3 side every year as well. No reason why we can't be contenders every year.

I think every team/club goes into the comp hoping to be a top 3 team............lol....and seven teams are disappointed.....lol....agree with you about us being better performers.

Tbh I am not a fan of a final six as it rewards mediocrity..........should be top 4.....home and away semis and home and away GF. 

34 minutes ago, Carns said:

In the 14 years of the A-league there has never been one team that is consistently in the top 3. The salary cap inhibits the ability to keep a certain standard of quality in your squad. Couple that with hit and miss foreign recruitment means that most teams have had their bumper and lean years.

Not top 3, but Victory have been doing something very right ever since the two-season Merrick/Durakovic/Magilton "learning experience".

• 12/13 3rd and semi final
  • 13/14 4th and semi final
  • 14/15 1st and 1st
  • 15/16 6th and 1st round (only eight points away from 1st spot, and very nearly beat Brisbane away in the post season cup)
  • 16/17 2nd and 2nd (lost GF in penalty shoot out)
  • 17/18 4th and 1st

They are always competitive. They get the little things right that make a difference. They recruit well, and manage to hold on to key players. They get the imports right. Their players identify with the club, and strong ex-players are returning from overseas (Milligan, Rojas, Troisi). Their fans identify with the players. They are always hard to beat, even when they are having a "bad" season by their standards. When Ange was plucked, they They managed with it well enough, however bumpy it may have been initially.

They are leaders. Right now they are the bench mark.

19 minutes ago, FCB said:

Not top 3, but Victory have been doing something very right ever since the two-season Merrick/Durakovic/Magilton "learning experience".

They are leaders. Right now they are the bench mark.

No argument from me. They're the biggest team in the comp, and have been from the start. They have savvy business people who are very passionate about football. But the argument still stands that you can't consistently be in the mixer for winning every season (and I mean being Premier's, not the post season cup).

17 hours ago, Keithie said:

Come on Babbel's babes 

Issue obviously is balance. There are sooo many youth players we cannot possibly hope to keep them all and win trophies. That is why I thought of the idea to loan out some these players to selected Asian leagues like Div 2 Japan/Korea/China or Thai Premier league until you have Div 2 in Australia up and running. Europe is possible as an option if they have the passport but I feel like we could do more in our region with Asia, and the club does have relations with China and Japan.

12 hours ago, mintoff said:

He cant hold a hot shot, two goals from drop balls.

Bit hursh on Suman I think. It's not like he fumbled them and they rolled in.

The first one especially (with the questionable offside call), he gets clattered into, still picks himself up, somehow manages to get down and make a great save from close range, only for the defence to be ball watching. The second one he tips onto the bar, it comes out, only for the defence to be ball watching again and it's a simple enough header, which Suman still managed to get a hand to while he was on the ground having made the initial save onto the bar. I'm not sure what else he could have done. At some point, his defence needs to help him out.

My 2 cents.

2 minutes ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

The first one especially (with the questionable offside call), he gets clattered into, still picks himself up, somehow manages to get down and make a great save from close range, only for the defence to be ball watching. The second one he tips onto the bar, it comes out, only for the defence to be ball watching again and it's a simple enough header, which Suman still managed to get a hand to while he was on the ground having made the initial save onto the bar. I'm not sure what else he could have done. At some point, his defence needs to help him out.

My 2 cents.

That's worth a lot more than 2 cents! 

5 hours ago, Zakman said:

This is all great in theory but the reality is that this is Australia and young players go OS as soon as they show any promise. These players will be gone before they are "great" anything for us. This has always been my issue in relying on youth as I know we will not reap the full benefits of their development. I want to see the best 11 players the club can assemble to win the comp that season - not witness some kids progression. Arnie said it best "we are not a development league" and it showed with his results. The best championship winning teams over the short history of the A League (Roar, Victory and SFC), were comprised of squads with very little youth. Sunday showed exactly the problem - the kids showed a lot of courage and and tried hard but in the end were beaten by classier players - I personally do not want this to be the norm for us in the future. I want a winning team not a shopfront for OS clubs!

Ideally you want them to go overseas and hopefully get a transfer similar to how the Mariners were working when they were successful. It also helps because you replace the youth that have made it overseas with new players in the academy while keeping a core group of players to keep us competing for trophies. You don't really want them going to other A-league clubs because that is investment lost.

17 hours ago, Burztur said:

Nothing is gonna happen so it will die out. Which is exactly what the FFA want. If they respond, then it keeps the story alive. 

I wonder how much will change once the independent a-league is brought in, will they sack refs they deem not good enough and making too many mistakes? Will they change the way the FFA had been running the league so far to some extent?

24 minutes ago, MistahCampoy said:

I wonder how much will change once the independent a-league is brought in, will they sack refs they deem not good enough and making too many mistakes? Will they change the way the FFA had been running the league so far to some extent?

If we're lucky, we will see in 10 years.

2 hours ago, SomeGuy1977 said:

My 2 cents.

Exactly. Extremely harsh to blame Suman for any goals when he made some great point blank saves to deny what normally would be a sure goal. The follow up is not solely on him and our defence has to put their hands up to take responsibility for that. Babbel said as much in his presser.

3 hours ago, mack said:

The rest of the season is about two things for me, 1 giving youth players experience and trying to figure which are the best of the current lot, and 2, figuring out if we should give ABJ an extension.

Trying to work out how to win the last ******* derby of the season wouldn't go amiss, that would give us all a boost..

But like that is going to happen...

Edited by Smoggy